• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - October 22nd

Spaghetti Falco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
brandorf
3DS FC
3024-6627-7748
I'm not a manchild, I simply care. And what's so bad about him? He's yet ANOTHER quirky, out of the box character that doesn't represent any huge request from the fanbase.
Also, Smash64 has the second best roster of the series after Brawl, it had Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, Samus, Luigi, Cpt. Falcon, Fox, Ness, DK, Yoshi...the only remotely bad and unwarranted character on that game was Jigglypuff...as for bad and unwarranted on Smash 4, we got Duck Hunt Dog, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario...I prefer quality over quantity.

Yeah, he totally isn't the reason Samus is what she is...also, Megaman and Pac-Man are third-parties, the game needs NINTENDO All-Stars.

The roster's the most important part of a Smash Bros. game, and true, Ridley doesn't usually show much of his character on most Metroid games, but we all know how well it went the last time Metroid tried to leave subtle, atmospheric storytelling and had dialogue.

I'll take this as an insult, but I'm 18, I just care.
You say that the roster is the most important part of a smash bros game yet you also say that you want quality over quantity and at the same time you want to add two more characters to a roster you say is the worst because a lot of characters aren't quality and you also said Brawl had the best roster while most characters in Brawl were horrible
You hate quirky out of box characters yet Ridley would end up being one
And just because a character is heavily requested doesn't mean hell make it in Sakurai said that himself

Do you even know what you want?
In another statement you said even if Ridley was in you'd still be mad because of "what Sakurai did to Metroid fans"
He didn't do anything to you
All he did was make a game
And he made one of the best games in years the best game on both 3DS and Wii U
He tried his hardest for the community and the product is amazing
But i guess that'll never get through your thick skull
I guess your ego is just TOO BIG

Last edited:

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen of Ridley in various Metroid Let's Plays, I think I can see some reasons why Ridley hasn't been playable yet.

First off, it seems he doesn't have much of a personality besides being a scary monster you need to defeat. I mean, characters such as Bowser and Ganondorf had some degree of characterization besides just being the Big Bad. Bowser had the sports and karting games along with some dialogue in the main games to give him his personality, and Ganondorf has dialogue. Ridley is mostly just a boss character who you need to kill and nothing more than that.

Secondly, and I know this may come across as a joke, but his size is part of his threat as a villain and reducing it for Smash Bros would lessen him as a character. How would Ridley hold up if he was suddenly only slightly larger than Samus? My guess is, not very well.

Frankly, I'd like to see Ridley in the Smash games, and he does have some things going for him. Iconic character in a major Nintendo series? He has that. Possibly unique moveset? He has that too. Popularity? Totally. I just think that he doesn't meet enough other major Smash character criteria to really get in.

Also, if I get anything wrong about Ridley or Metroid in general, please let me know. I'm willing to correct things I get wrong.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Here are the highlights of this thread for those of you who don't want to read through 400 comments to find out what was talked about:

"I'm mad that Ridley isn't in Smash Bros!"

"I'm mad that you're mad that Ridley isn't in Smash Bros!"

"I'm mad that you're mad that I'm mad that Ridley isn't in Smash Bros!"

"I'm mad that you're mad that I'm mad that you're mad that Ridley isn't in Smash Bros!"

"I like Duck Hunt Dog!"

"Yer an idiot because you like Duck Hunt Dog and I hate yer stinkin' GUTS!"

The End
You're Welcome!

Last edited:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Here are the highlights of this thread for those of you who don't want to read through 400 comments to find out what was talked about:

"I'm mad that Ridley isn't in Smash Bros!"

"I'm mad that you're mad that Ridley isn't in Smash Bros!"

"I'm mad that you're mad that I'm mad that Ridley isn't in Smash Bros!"

"I'm mad that you're mad that I'm mad that you're mad that Ridley isn't in Smash Bros!"

"I like Duck Hunt Dog!"

"Yer an idiot because you like Duck Hunt Dog and I hate yer stinkin' GUTS!"

The End
You're Welcome!
Yeah, thats pretty close to how it happened.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry. Soon we'll find out that this thread isn't nearly as much of a waste of time as the Tower of Smash thread.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
What are Sakurai's ultimate requirements to be a Smash character? Certainly Ridley doesn't meet at least one of them if he hasn't gotten in by now. I don't think 3DS limitations are keeping him out like they are to Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Don't get me wrong, I'd be excited for a Nintendo Direct, information on the new Zelda, Splattoon, you know, games that actually seem to have effort put into them?
Thanks for proving my point.

edit: oops sorry, didnt realise everyone was quoting this guy

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
I really hope this kid is playing an NES game in the start. That NES game will be Metroid, and he's battling against Ridley.

The video then derails and trolls from that point.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Since 64, it's already canon that the entire universe exists in the mind of some kid playing with his dolls and action figures. Master Hand is that kid's hand.
Not exactly. In Brawl, it was completely different. The characters live in some sort of conjoined world/universe.

あい3

Smash Rookie
NNID
AitoMarth
3DS FC
1693-3217-0339
(tl;dr of the thread)
Is Ridley in Smash some sort of inside joke around here, or are people serious? Couldn't care one way or another about him being included, just curious.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about Duck Hunt getting a trailer. While a lot of people already know about the duo's inclusion, it's still really neat to see it.

passworddots

Smash Rookie
Ridley was just given what I think is the best inclusion of Smash Bros that would be possible!

Vianny

Smash Rookie
NNID
lenny.macias
...And here we go again. This is a perfect example of why Ridley supporter's fuses are getting short.

It's clear from your post that you are posting childish flame bait in addition to not even being familiar with the Metroid series. I don't care that you don't like Ridley. But please, if you are going to express your opinion, do it in a manner that provides some sort of substance to your post instead of a very poorly done insult. You can still not like a character and provide a civil expression of why you don't like him/her.

Now then, we want Ridley in Smash because he's a recurring, iconic character (as well as the primary villain) from the Metroid series. He would also bring new moves and play styles to the Smash series as well. If you had played at least a majority of the Metroid games out there, and had gotten to the Ridley battles, this would be abundantly clear. Also understanding the story behind the Metroid series and his relationship with Samus would further solidify the reasoning for Ridley to be included as a playable character.

Not trying to be a douche here, I'm just saying.

Completely agree with the first and last parts of your post dude. (Though Duck Hunt's B-> special is shooting a clay pigeon, not a frisbee. I've done it before in real life and it's a lot of fun! :p And also part of the reason I love the inclusion of Duck Hunt. At this point, he's sort of a semi-main for me. But at any rate...)

...That middle part of your

I refer to the underlined paragraph above where I quoted you in addition to this part of what I posted yesterday:
...And here we go again. This is a perfect example of why Ridley supporter's fuses are getting short.

I will refer to the post I made yesterday.

It's clear from your post that you are posting childish flame bait in addition to not even being familiar with the Metroid series. I don't care that you don't like Ridley. But please, if you are going to express your opinion, do it in a manner that provides some sort of substance to your post instead of a very poorly done insult. You can still not like a character and provide a civil expression of why you don't like him/her.

Now then, we want Ridley in Smash because he's a recurring, iconic character (as well as the primary villain) from the Metroid series. He would also bring new moves and play styles to the Smash series as well. If you had played at least a majority of the Metroid games out there, and had gotten to the Ridley battles, this would be abundantly clear. Also understanding the story behind the Metroid series and his relationship with Samus would further solidify the reasoning for Ridley to be included as a playable character.

Not trying to be a douche here, I'm just saying.

Completely agree with the first and last parts of your post dude. (Though Duck Hunt's B-> special is shooting a clay pigeon, not a frisbee. I've done it before in real life and it's a lot of fun! :p And also part of the reason I love the inclusion of Duck Hunt. At this point, he's sort of a semi-main for me. But at any rate...)

...That middle part of your post that I bolded... The hell? Seriously? More of this crap?

I refer to the underlined paragraph above where I quoted you in addition to this part of what I posted yesterday:

(E.g. Ridley would be just a clone of Charizard... Really? So then by that logic, Captain Falcon and Little Mac would be clones just because they're muscular dudes that fight up close? And Zelda and Peach would be clones just because they're princesses in dresses? People who say these kinds of things clearly do not seem to be familiar with the original games, nor seem to want to think critically about the topic.)

Not insulting you here, but being familiar with both Metroid and Pokemon myself (at least the first few generations), Charizard and Ridley and VERY VERY different. Charizard has all of the standard Pokemon movesets to derive a character from (as he his now for the most part) while Ridley has completely different attacks and tactics he uses to try to take down Samus in the Metroid games. Ergo, if Ridley is implemented in the Smash series, he would be completely different. (Like Captain Falcon vs Little Mac, Peach vs Zelda, etc...) But regardless of my personal views on Ridley, saying that a Pokemon and a recurring Metroid villain would be the same boggles my mind.

Once again, I'm not trying to flame or come across as hostile. Just trying to inject some constructive discussion here. That's all. :colorful:
Adding on to this, look at the way the Ridley boss fights are handled in both Metroid and Brawl. Ridley isn't just a cliche dragon. Shooting missiles from his mouth and back, using his wings to blow wind, dashing, the pogo stick tail, bouncing fireballs. Heck, they could even have him using phazon or summoning zebesians. Charizard has none of this, his fire breath attack is taken from bowser anyways.

Charizard is fire based, Ridley is based on weapons and modifications. There's not much of a comparison other than the fact that they're both dragons.
Looks like someone needs to hop off of Ridley's ****. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Is Ridley in Smash some sort of inside joke around here, or are people serious? Couldn't care one way or another about him being included, just curious.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about Duck Hunt getting a trailer. While a lot of people already know about the duo's inclusion, it's still really neat to see it.
The Ridley thing kinda goes both ways, there are people who do really want him in the game, while others could care less and joke about how others do want him in it.

al-LAYN

Smash Cadet
Oh, Sakurai, you fantastic troll, you.

Duck Hunt will probably get a trailer, though.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
First off, it seems he doesn't have much of a personality besides being a scary monster you need to defeat. I mean, characters such as Bowser and Ganondorf had some degree of characterization besides just being the Big Bad. Bowser had the sports and karting games along with some dialogue in the main games to give him his personality, and Ganondorf has dialogue. Ridley is mostly just a boss character who you need to kill and nothing more than that.
He may not have dialogue, but we know some things about him. He's a hyper-intelligent space pirate. He's not just size and strength; he's practically a genius. I mean, he has more personality than Megaman (he's a robot) or even Mario.

Personality really is the wrong word, but I don't know what else to say.

I honestly don't care if Ridley's in (which we all know if he is now), I just wasn't sure if you knew.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
He may not have dialogue, but we know some things about him. He's a hyper-intelligent space pirate. He's not just size and strength; he's practically a genius. I mean, he has more personality than Megaman (he's a robot) or even Mario.

Personality really is the wrong word, but I don't know what else to say.

I honestly don't care if Ridley's in (which we all know if he is now), I just wasn't sure if you knew.
I think I said it once before, but I think Sakurai thinks a playable character needs some kind of human element to them in terms of known emotions, goals, etc. I don't think Ridley has that element, and instead looks like a giant monster. I mean, sure he's smart and powerful, but he just acts and seems like a monster in so many ways that it would probably be hard for a player to play as him and not think that they were playing as a creature out to kill everyone instead of a character with ambitions and emotions.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I think I said it once before, but I think Sakurai thinks a playable character needs some kind of human element to them in terms of known emotions, goals, etc. I don't think Ridley has that element, and instead looks like a giant monster. I mean, sure he's smart and powerful, but he just acts and seems like a monster in so many ways that it would probably be hard for a player to play as him and not think that they were playing as a creature out to kill everyone instead of a character with ambitions and emotions.
Then what about Game and Watch? Or the Pokemon? Wii Fit? They're just "mindless" and there to kill people. I'm not doubting you, I just think it'd be a strange reason.

I think the size argument may be playing a part with Sakurai jconsidering how large he made him in Sm4sh.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
Then what about Game and Watch? Or the Pokemon? Wii Fit? They're just "mindless" and there to kill people. I'm not doubting you, I just think it'd be a strange reason.

I think the size argument may be playing a part with Sakurai jconsidering how large he made him in Sm4sh.
Game and Watch gets in because of incredibly high historical value and uniqueness, while also being able to have a personality added to him without it being really weird. The Pokemon show emotions all the time in the games and cartoons. Wii Fit totally has a personality, she/he is a health nut.

Really, the personality/emotions/whatever is mostly just so players can play as a character and relate to them. It feels easier to play as a character who you can tell has human qualities.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Game and Watch gets in because of incredibly high historical value and uniqueness, while also being able to have a personality added to him without it being really weird. The Pokemon show emotions all the time in the games and cartoons. Wii Fit totally has a personality, she/he is a health nut.
Game and Watch and Megaman have 0 personality, tho. Game and Watch is 100% historical value. Nothing was added to him; he just does his moves. Even in SSE, G&W was neither good nor bad; he was neutral. Megaman is a robot.

Ridley has just as much personality as WFT. He's a hyper-intellegent space pirate leader that will come back from the dead to try and kill Samus.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
Game and Watch and Megaman have 0 personality, tho. Game and Watch is 100% historical value. Nothing was added to him; he just does his moves. Even in SSE, G&W was neither good nor bad; he was neutral. Megaman is a robot.

Ridley has just as much personality as WFT. He's a hyper-intellegent space pirate leader that will come back from the dead to try and kill Samus.
Game and Watch acted embarrassed when Peach scolded him, and he became fascinated with her umbrella. Mega Man actually has emotions in his games. The times I've seen a Ridley fight, he's only portrayed as trying to kill Samus without much else in terms of personality. He talks in screeches to boot, so I can't really see much there.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
very long but well thought out post
You make a solid point here! I never looked at it in that way and it seems like good reasoning! Also, I fought Ridley in Super Metroid (VC) and he does have a larger pool of tactics than I initially thought... Either way, we don't know what Sakurai has planned for the game. If he can make Ridley a cool, unique character, I'm all for some new villains! But those chances seem unlikely, since he's a boss now. Thanks for being level-headed about this whole thing, though. Some people get....cranky.

Top Bottom