• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think having Incineroar as the last playable character was dumb. I guess it makes sense because they wanted World of Light to be the last reveal for the game overall, but...it's Incineroar. And I said it before the Grinch Leak was a thing. Incineroar as the last playable character would be a disappointment. And it was.
For who? Expectations aren't objective.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The more I think about the stage select screen and the character select screen, the more bizarre I feel like it’s going to end up.

If there’s only going to be 5 more stages, there will be one empty space left which seems...weird.

After the fighters pass...the rows will be uneven, or will otherwise need to be adjusted if they want the rows to be even.

Well, anyway, to cap off my final thought before I pass out and get some much needed rest, I really wish there were more Paper Mario music tracks. Just the fact that I can’t jam to Shadow Queen, Rawk Hawk, King of the Koopas, The Ultimate Show, Castle Black, or even Magnus Von Grapple is rather sad.

I really need to replay that game. Maybe after I finish Red Dead 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2 remake, Dragon Quest XI, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Persona 5, Mega Man 11, TWEWY, Symphony of the Night...O O F I have a lot to play still.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For who? Expectations aren't objective.
Exactly.

I was more hyped for Incineroar than any other reveal. Didn't matter to me if being "just another Pokémon" wasn't as exciting as someone like Ridley, Simon, or K. Rool, this was a character I had the most investment in.

....Ironic that now I am discouraged from playing as him due to being terrible at the gameplay style he requires....:(

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, I'm not sure a Bayonetta reference really accomplishes what we seem to be going for here (if this is intended to be a Bayonetta reference).
Bayonetta takes a lot from real life folklore, especially European ones. It can be both.

Shroob

Sup?
Leakers, "Okay a character we're getting is from a Japanese mobile game and not even the main character."

Smash fans, "Oh god no a literal who/another sword user/Japan pick/anime."

Leakers, "Okay how about Doomguy instead?"

Smash fans, "..........but where's his P-E-R-S-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y?!"

smh still laughing at this.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Leakers, "Okay a character we're getting is from a Japanese mobile game and not even the main character."

People have been doing this with Steve already, why are you so surprised?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yo back from playing the game. I finally finished Classic Mode with all the characters.

If I had to conclude who I had the most fun playing as besides my main three:ultkrool::ultbowser::ultridley:it was

:ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultsimon:

I was gonna start World of Light tonight but decided I'd do it tomorrow because its getting pretty late where I am.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord

Coming soon: DOOM: Other D

You'll all be sorry

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Doom Slayer AND Erdrick AND Hayabusa all happen as DLC:

Literally blown away.

Would be absolute perfection if we got Banjo though.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yo back from playing the game. I finally finished Classic Mode with all the characters.

If I had to conclude who I had the most fun playing as besides my main three:ultkrool::ultbowser::ultridley:it was

:ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultsimon:

I was gonna start World of Light tonight but decided I'd do it tomorrow because its getting pretty late where I am.
Hmm, didn't find my boi enticing despite having him in you signature?

Roberk

Smash Champion

It's baffling, Doomguy just seems like the perfect Western pick. He's Western, people consider him as an icon who's "earned it", and he's stylistically and mechanically unique. And after playing the first segments of DOOM or even just DOOM 1, he shows more "personality" than most of the roster. I think the community's gotten to a state where if it's something they don't want, they'll scramble for a reason to disavow it (anime, swords, character quality, Playstation Character, didn't "deserve" being in, etc.)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

This image will never not be relevant:
2l789t.jpg

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There must be at least like a dozen steps that will make or break a character's inclusion or exclusion before personality becomes a factor. It's basically a flourish. But, for some reason, people hinging chances on it isn't new and will never not be asinine.

It mostly seems like the final gambit when lacking better points for or against a character.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The more I think about the stage select screen and the character select screen, the more bizarre I feel like it’s going to end up.

If there’s only going to be 5 more stages, there will be one empty space left which seems...weird.

After the fighters pass...the rows will be uneven, or will otherwise need to be adjusted if they want the rows to be even.

Well, anyway, to cap off my final thought before I pass out and get some much needed rest, I really wish there were more Paper Mario music tracks. Just the fact that I can’t jam to Shadow Queen, Rawk Hawk, King of the Koopas, The Ultimate Show, Castle Black, or even Magnus Von Grapple is rather sad.

I really need to replay that game. Maybe after I finish Red Dead 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2 remake, Dragon Quest XI, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Persona 5, Mega Man 11, TWEWY, Symphony of the Night...O O F I have a lot to play still.
Maybe the Plant does come with a stage?

Or maybe they're planning another Ballot with the winner among realizable and negotiable characters being added and that's our final character.
Oh, I just realized that my birthday is only a month away...
Oh yeah? Well my birthday is in 18 days!

Take that! Not that it really means anything it's just another year I've been alive. I'm honestly more excited for Kingdom Hearts 3 than I am for my own birthday.

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
It's baffling, Doomguy just seems like the perfect Western pick. He's Western, people consider him as an icon who's "earned it", and he's stylistically and mechanically unique. And after playing the first segments of DOOM or even just DOOM 1, he shows more "personality" than most of the roster. I think the community's gotten to a state where if it's something they don't want, they'll scramble for a reason to disavow it (anime, swords, character quality, Playstation Character, didn't "deserve" being in, etc.)
Welcome to humanity. Enjoy your stay

Roberk

Smash Champion
debatable, i'm waiting for the mother****ing chief
1546671315003.jpeg

I-it's not fair... It was his time...

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
View attachment 185686
I-it's not fair... It was his time...
Who is this guy and why should I trust him?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Go for it.

I wish I had artistic talent. I could make my own blessed images instead of finding ones...
General thing, art is the kind of thing you have to practice a lot to get good at.
If you look at the art gallery of someone whom you consider to have artistic talent and look a few years back, they didn’t just immediately have the level of skill they’re showing today. It really does just take lots of practice.

I mean, like, doesn’t Power Suit Samus show barely any personality in gameplay in Smash (not saying she doesn’t have it, just saying that it isn’t apparent in gameplay in Smash?) It really is pretty contradictory when you think about it.

Roberk

Smash Champion

Maybe the Plant does come with a stage?

Or maybe they're planning another Ballot with the winner among realizable and negotiable characters being added and that's our final character.

Oh yeah? Well my birthday is in 18 days!

Take that! Not that it really means anything it's just another year I've been alive. I'm honestly more excited for Kingdom Hearts 3 than I am for my own birthday.
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...ltimate-nintendo-direct-unleashes-new-details

Early Purchase Bonus: Piranha Plant takes root! The iconic enemy from the Super Mario series is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for early purchasers. Players can purchase the digital version of the game or register their physical game card on a Nintendo Switch device by Jan. 31, 2019, to gain access to this new fighter when it is available around February 2019 at no additional cost. Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future. Fans can pre-purchase the game and secure the Piranha Plant reward starting today by visiting http://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/.

Audrey the II will get a stage.

Shroob

Sup?
So I watched Pop's vid on the 'leak', so lemme get this straight.

The "Jack Frost/Slime appear with a skill" leak came after the "5 names" leak? Is that more or less the jist of it?

Basically, we found the leaks out of order, with "Jack Frost/Slime appear with a skill" was posted AFTER the "Ryu, Marine, Steve" leak?

Shroob

Sup?
At the end of the day:

I'm going to laugh if Erdrick really is in.

Because that means Leakypanda could have potentially been right all along. We had SOO MANY people saying that there'd be a Square rep at the Game Awards, with Leaky flat out saying it'd be 'controversial series' related.

Could we ever prove this? Not likely, but there's always going to be that thing in the back of my mind asking "What if they ****ing actually did swap the reveal schedules?"

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
At the end of the day:

I'm going to laugh if Erdrick really is in.

Because that means Leakypanda could have potentially been right all along. We had SOO MANY people saying that there'd be a Square rep at the Game Awards, with Leaky flat out saying it'd be 'controversial series' related.

Could we ever prove this? Not likely, but there's always going to be that thing in the back of my mind asking "What if they ****ing actually did swap the reveal schedules?"
We'll never know for sure, but could be. Maybe they realized Joker/Persona 5 would just land better with a western audience than DQ

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
As someone who’s never played DK, when I Google Donkey Kong, all I see is a gorilla wearing a tie.

What is the hidden potential here?

I like this meme
As someone who's seen a Game & Watch, when I look at Mr. Game & Watch, all I see is some weird LCD guy.

What is the hidden potential here?

Me too
Then there's me. Disappointed in more third parties. Especially such Japan pandering ones.
Japan pandering ones?
While still popular in Japan, Metal Gear has always been targeted at the West as its main audience.
Sonic is more popular in West then in Japan.
Mega Man is popular worldwide about equally.
Pac-Man is popular worldwide about equally.
Street Fighter in general is more popular in America, this is why Capcom gave the rights to the series to Capcom USA
Cloud & Final Fantasy in general is more popular in the West then in Japan (seriously, some Japanese fans even called Cloud 'Foreigner Pandering' like they did with Little Mac)
Bayonetta is popular in both the West and Japan about equally.
Simon is more popular in the West while Richter is more popular in Japan..I'll call this one a tie..
Joker and Persona 5 is about equal in popularity in both Japan and the West.

There isn't any 'Japan Pandering' here, at least not consciously, its simply that all of the series and characters chosen so far are popular in both the West and Japan (even if some, such as Sonic, are more popular in the West then in Japan). Its simply down to what's popular in both the West and Japan, oddly enough, is usually Japanese in origin, likely due to more popular Western franchises being shooters or realistic games, which aren't as popular in Japan.
Why would they ever choose a 3rd Party representative that was solely or primarily popular only in one region when they can choose ones that would be popular worldwide and thus make them more money and gain more hype worldwide.
The only Western IPs I could see being popular in both Japan and the West that could be used are Banjo-Kazooie, Minecraft, and maybe Shantae, since she is a fairly popular indie even in Japan (sadly Shovel Knight wasn't near the same popularity there..it got a lukewarm reception from what I've heard).
For me, its primarly the fact that Doomguy, and DOOM in general, is more popular in the West and not really that popular in Japan, so the series and character aren't really iconic or big names there..partially due to the Famicom absolutely dominating the PC in Japan around the time Doom was released and also due to Japan having much less interest in shooters and much higher restrictions on violence, gore, etc, especially at that point in time.

Due that, I doubt Doom was even on Nintendo's radar, especially Nintendo of Japan's, when they were picking DLC characters as options for Sakurai to choose from when they would much more likely choose Japanese titles due to many having about equal popularity in the West and Japan as well as being much easier to negotiate and communicate character representation when everyone involved fluently speaks the same language

That said, I'd be down for Doomguy...if only for this song to be in the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom