• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm so damn happy that Incineroar is way better than what the pre-game tierlists were saying. His recovery isn't that bad unless you're below the stage and his speed isn't too bad either.
Gee it's almost like pre-game tierlists are always bull****. I'd sooner expect it to rain wine than a pre-game tier list be accurate of the meta

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’ll provide my thoughts on the game, and on Joker, in a little while. I’ve been sucked into the game itself and had my party last night, and unlocked the entire roster in the first day.

All i’ll say is, yet another fan rule got crushed, as did Verg. I love it.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
It's theory time. Buckle up.

Remember that picture Sakurai posted in August that lots of people were sure was hinting towards Isaac? What if it's actually hinting at Crono?

Crono represents Link, obviously; silent sword protagonists and all that.

Marth represents Marle, since they're both royalty (plus, their names are similar.)

Shulk represents Lucca, since they're both engineers and are into science.

If you want to take it a step further, you can say that Marth's blue color scheme represents Marle's ice magic, and Shulk's red represents Lucca's fire magic.

D

Deleted member

**** Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield and Leon.

Tofu is the only real and definitive Resident Evil rep for Smash.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm so damn happy that Incineroar is way better than what the pre-game tierlists were saying. His recovery isn't that bad unless you're below the stage and his speed isn't too bad either.
We shouldn't really be taking pre-game tier lists too seriously anyway. It's not that easy analyzing so many characters with limited footage for all of them. Watch most of them be laughably wrong in a year.

Anyway, Incineroar's air speed is the worst in the game, while his run speed barely faster than Smash 4 Robin's (Piranha Plant is slower than that, though). What does help him is his initial dash speed, which is very noticeably faster, and it helps a lot of characters.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Remember that picture Sakurai posted in August that lots of people were sure was hinting towards Isaac? What if it's actually hinting at Crono?

Marth represents Marle, since they're both royalty (plus, their names are similar.)

If you want to take it a step further, you can say that Marth's blue color scheme represents Marle's ice magic, and Shulk's red represents Lucca's fire magic.
It's pretty much 100% a nod to a generic classic JRPG battle. Nothing more than that, I think.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

And the Chrom pic where he has a wing means Sephiroth is in as well

/s

D

Deleted member

This is the perfect RE rep...

You may hate him, but you won’t escape the truth about its perfection.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wish Ada Wong was the main character of Resident Evil.

She's my favorite character in that entire franchise because of her layers and mystery surrounding her.

I'd support her in Smash in a heartbeat.

But Jill Valentine is also my homegirl, so I'd hope she'd pull an ''upset" against Leon and Chris.

Though who knows maybe Sakurai could invest and create a moveset for Resident Evil that would allow for at least Jill, Chris, Claire, and Leon all to be ''one" character like Bowser Jr and the Koopalings.

D

Deleted member

I'm guessing "Third parties have to be long-lasting franchises and characters, Bayonetta was an exception"
This one I don't get because Bayonetta is gonna be a decade old next year.

What defines "long-lasting" even?

D

Deleted member

I wish Ada Wong was the main character of Resident Evil.

She's my favorite character in that entire franchise because of her layers and mystery surrounding her.

I'd support her in Smash in a heartbeat.

But Jill Valentine is also my homegirl, so I'd hope she'd pull an ''upset" against Leon and Chris.

Though who knows maybe Sakurai could invest and create a moveset for Resident Evil that would allow for at least Jill, Chris, Claire, and Leon all to be ''one" character like Bowser Jr and the Koopalings.
Each one of them should dissapear.

Only Tofu deserves to be the main character of a RE game.

Iridium

Smash Hero
We shouldn't really be taking pre-game tier lists too seriously anyway. It's not that easy analyzing so many characters with limited footage for all of them. Watch most of them be laughably wrong in a year.

Anyway, Incineroar's air speed is the worst in the game, while his run speed barely faster than Smash 4 Robin's (Piranha Plant is slower than that, though). What does help him is his initial dash speed, which is very noticeably faster, and it helps a lot of characters.
And the funny thing is, although Olimar has the slowest initial dash speed in this game, it would be top 15 in Smash 4. So in other words, everyone is definitely faster.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty much 100% a nod to a generic classic JRPG battle. Nothing more than that, I think.
Probably, I just thought it made a little more sense than the Isaac theory. Like, that theory was fine but it had some serious stretches (like how Marth represents Garet because of his Japanese name lol)

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I hope somebody makes fanart of Joker and Robin talking to each other, then when they finish, both the "Robin and Joker reached C support" and "Confidant level 1" messages pop up.

That'd be hilarious.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
The online is....questionable...truly and honestly, all I want is to ACTUALLY use the rules I set in place(or even just prioritize the #of players, stock, and no items...?) and to be able to CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHARACTER AGAINST SOMEONE?!
That’s my favorite part of online play in smash 4...finding someone oh were equally skilled against, and being able to play as multiple characters against them.

I really REALLY hope they change this!

However other than that, online is pretty fun and my connection has actually been pretty good.

Nothing more satisfying than either lightening kick finishes wth Zelda or getting someone with phantom when they’re trying to recover ;)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The online is....questionable...truly and honestly, all I want is to ACTUALLY use the rules I set in place(or even just prioritize the #of players, stock, and no items...?) and to be able to CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHARACTER AGAINST SOMEONE?!
That’s my favorite part of online play in smash 4...finding someone oh were equally skilled against, and being able to play as multiple characters against them.

I really REALLY hope they change this!

However other than that, online is pretty fun and my connection has actually been pretty good.

Nothing more satisfying than either lightening kick finishes wth Zelda or getting someone with phantom when they’re trying to recover ;)
Seeing how you have to pay for online now, I'd imagine this is something they'd fix later down the road.

Being optimistic here. :lol:

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I hope somebody makes fanart of Joker and Robin talking to each other, then when they finish, both the "Robin and Joker reached C support" and "Confidant level 1" messages pop up.

That'd be hilarious.
all followed up by the sounds of both the supports and the confidant screen overlapping eachother

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Seeing how you have to pay for online now, I'd imagine this is something they'd fix later down the road.

Being optimistic here. :lol:
I know I’m also hoping and being optimistic about it..well hopefully they’ll update it soonish!

D

Deleted member

Simon: GLORIOUS he's so fun
K. Rool: Amazing!!!
Ridley: yet to try
Isabelle: very technical...a bit confusing don't know if I'm a fan
Inklings: Same with Isabelle
Incineroar: My favorite!!!

Uh...how is someone talking to you about something entirely different related to this at all??? You're kinda shoving yourself in here.
Yeah, Inklings are pretty tricky. I'm still learning how they work, but they're fun! Their aerials seem super strong.

Isabelle is super tricky, and I don't have her down yet either. K. Rool is fan-freaking-tastic.

D

Deleted member

*stuffs face with cheetos*
Well, actually, they need to be important to gaming history

That kind of thing
Oof.

If people don't think Bayonetta is "important to gaming history" I feel sad for those guys, 'cause that game alone gave us another kickass female lead. No frills, just another Samus, but provocative, and even then that somehow makes her more badass.

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
Haven't got to play that much but so far inklings are pretty awesome for me. Only thing I can see it being hard competitively having to refill the ink, takes longer than I hoped it would. Haven't unlocked any other new characters yet but inklings will probably me a secondary for me for sure

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oof.

If people don't think Bayonetta is "important to gaming history" I feel sad for those guys, 'cause that game alone gave us another kickass female lead. No frills, just another Samus, but provocative, and even then that somehow makes her more badass.
I mean that's not really important to gaming but it's still ****ing amazing at how Bayonetta's the best sexualized character in media and something dumb anime can learn from

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
btw I found out a simple combo that seems to kill lightweights like Squirtle at 20% on Battlefield with Richer. If you're on the top platform, you can upthrow into up air into up B. If the Meta does revolve around characters like Pikachu, then this will be their bane.

Untouch

Smash Master
All online needs is a button that FORCES matches to use your preferred settings.
Maybe something like this
  • High -> Settings must match 100%.
  • Medium -> Stock and Time settings can be different, the rest must match 100%.
  • Low -> What we have right now.
I cannot possibly imagine that this would be hard to add to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom