• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
...Yeah, I'm not expanding on this current discussion. I just can't.

Not to derail us from this riveting topic, but as far as first-party DLC goes, who would you consider to be the most likely character from the following franchises?

:ultmario:
:ultdk:
:ultlink:
:ultsamus:
:ultkirby:
:ultpikachu:
:ultmarth:
:ultshulk:

Try to choose characters who you think Nintendo would pick themselves rather than your personal favs.
:ultmario: Toad
:ultdk: Dixie Kong
:ultlink: one of the BOTW Champions
:ultsamus: Prime 4 rep
:ultkirby: BWD
:ultpikachu: Gen 8 rep
:ultmarth: Three Houses rep
:ultshulk: Elma

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Waiting for someone to reply with that inevitable "At least the fans wouldn't pick Corrin" response.
I mean, I probably wouldn't have picked Corrin at the time Sakurai did, but it's still the character I would have preferred from Fates. I like the partial dragon transformation moves, and thought they were the best way to have a Manakete in Smash.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
:ultkirby: - Adeleine? Bandana Waddle Dee?
I want this to happen so much, but being realistic, I think she will be a spirit using the Vince or Nikki assist trophy as "body".
And that's very sad, I want her to be playable :mad:

By the way, as low as her chances are, it's still not impossible; maybe they decide that her unique gameplay based on summoning paintings can be used for marketing, or simply they may chose her because it's an unexpected character in a similar way as Piranha Plant (nobody wanted Piranha Plant but now it's pretty popular and many people like it, including me).

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I probably wouldn't have picked Corrin at the time Sakurai did, but it's still the character I would have preferred from Fates. I like the partial dragon transformation moves, and thought they were the best way to have a Manakete in Smash.
Sakurai wasn't the one picked Corrin. But agreed, Corrin makes sense as a character, just timing rubbed a lot of people wrong way.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I want this to happen so much, but being realistic, I think she will be a spirit using the Vince or Nikki assist trophy as "body".

By the way, as low as her chances are, it's still not impossible; maybe they decide that her unique gameplay based on summoning paintings can be used for marketing, or simply they may chose her because it's an unexpected character in a similar way as Piranha Plant (nobody wanted Piranha Plant but now it's pretty popular and many people like it, including me).
Well, I'd also consider perhaps Daroach, Magolor or Marx then. At least we can't count out many choices yet...

osby

Smash Obsessed

Can Spirits even possess Assist Trophies?

Anyway, I really doubt fighter pass DLC is going to consist of characters that will surprise people. I imagine they'd at least want to pick people would be familiar with. As much as I like Adeleine, I wouldn't hesitate before writing her chances off.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai wasn't the one picked Corrin. But agreed, Corrin makes sense as a character, just timing rubbed a lot of people wrong way.
Oh, was it Nintendo who decided the DLC last time, too? I didn't know that. Last time I was in here before Ultimate speculation, people were blaming Corrin on Sakurai bias because he likes FE.

D

Deleted member

Oh, was it Nintendo who decided the DLC last time, too? I didn't know that. Last time I was in here before Ultimate speculation, people were blaming Corrin on Sakurai bias because he likes FE.
Coffin was chosen because the dev team managed to convince Sakurai that he’d have a unique enough moveset to work.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Mario: Who the heck even knows anymore, after we got Piranha Plant
DK: Dixie, if anybody
Zelda: am I allowed to say none Though seriously, as how things are currently I just realistically don't see Zelda getting anything
Metroid: Sylux, since they're supposedly important in Prime 4
Kirby: ...begrudgingly, Bandanna Waddle Dee (because nothing else feels realistic but, similar to Zelda, I just can't see it getting anything)
Pokemon: Gen VIII starter
Fire Emblem: My gut is saying Byleth has a greater shot, being the "protagonist" to the others "main characters" and I'm already anticipating darkness-based powers based on their name
Xenoblade: if it were to get anybody, Rex only makes logical sense. 2's a solid success that received DLC support for the better part of a year after launch; X is the black sheep of the franchise released on a failing console whose hopes of being relevant again anytime soon have been rather thoroughly shot down. I like how the post asks people to try do realistic picks yet everybody's still going with Elma
I think Elma makes more sense than Rex, if only because Sakurai set a tone that makes it sound like Rex isn't getting in as one of these five DLC characters.

But from a promotional standpoint, I don't see why Nintendo would care that much about XCX in 2019. Unless of course it gets ported, but I doubt they knew that was guaranteed to happen back in 2016 before the Switch was even revealed to the public.

Corrin would've made more sense as a newcomer in Ultimate than he did with Smash 4's DLC.

Not saying he's a character who shouldn't be in Smash because he's bad or anything. I actually think he's a worthy addition to the roster. It's just that the timing of his debut was absolutely awful, and I don't think he was an appropriate choice for DLC when fans were expecting "ballot winners" as the remaining DLC.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Not to derail us from this riveting topic, but as far as first-party DLC goes, who would you consider to be the most likely character from the following franchises?

Try to choose characters who you think Nintendo would pick themselves rather than your personal favs.
nintendo's choice? hmmm they are probably going for characters that has been used recently
:ultmario: King Boo
:ultdk: Funky kong
:ultlink: A champion
:ultsamus: Sylux
:ultkirby: Bandana dee
:ultpikachu: Decideuye
:ultmarth: Celica

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Can Spirits even possess Assist Trophies?

Anyway, I really doubt fighter pass DLC is going to consist of characters that will surprise people. I imagine they'd at least want to pick people would be familiar with. As much as I like Adeleine, I wouldn't hesitate before writing her chances off.
Wasn't something like this shown during the Smash Direct? I can't remember.
Maybe they can't possess ATs but they summon those ATs during the battle or something. In case of Adeleine they may use a female Villager and have only Nikki and Vince as ATs during the battle.

About the second part, I already said it, she's unlikely, though she's not impossible, just like any other Dream Friend.
I disagree about the DLCs not being surprise characters, they are working hard trying to tell us that the DLCs won't be character who are highly requested, they hinted at this at least twice.
Kirby Star Allies is the most recent game and one of the best selling Kirby games in recent years; the Dream Friends are the game's gimmick, so it's not to exclude the chance of getting a Dream Friend (even if, as I said, Magolor and Marx are the ones with the biggest chances; of which, Magolor is IMO the one with the biggest chance of them for the same reason as why Isabelle has been chosen over Tom Nook).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

:ultdk:- Dixie Kong
:ultlink:- Impa, Sidon, Linkle...Tetra, CDi Link
:ultmarth:- Edelgard or Anna
:ultshulk:- Pyra/Mythra...alone...or Elma (or even nobody)
To be fair... they were right.
They always are

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm calling it now Isabelle's Spirit in WOL is gonna be Susie.
Considering :ultmario: was possessed by a Pikmin enemy and :ultpalutena::ultganondorf: were possessed by some old Fire Emblem enemies, I stopped trying to predict this stuff but it sounds fitting.

Was Susie an antagonist in her game?

D

Deleted member

Considering :ultmario: was possessed by a Pikmin enemy and :ultpalutena::ultganondorf: were possessed by some old Fire Emblem enemies, I stopped trying to predict this stuff but it sounds fitting.

Yeah. She helps out at the end but it’s more like an “enemy of my enemy” situation and she’s still evil.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

:ultmario: Toad/captain toad
:ultdk: Dixie kong
:ultlink: BOTW camp/rep
:ultsamus: Sylux/ villain in Metroid prime 4 who will make multiple appearance in future games
:ultkirby: Bandana dee
:ultpikachu: Gen 8 rep (no stopping this since Nintendo is chosing and I believe we see it in 2019)
:ultmarth: A rep from three houses
:ultshulk: Elma or Mythra

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

:ultmario: Captain Toad/Toadette
:ultdk: Dixie
:ultlink: Impa
:ultsamus: Sylux
:ultkirby: Bandana Dee
:ultmarth: Edelgard

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Corrin would have been a newcomer in Ultimate anyway so whining about her today is nonsensical. Timing was very important for her inclusion and she was there at the nick of time for both games.

I think she's ok. Her moveset isn't THAT special like some people make it up to be, but she's fun to use for funsies for me.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If we didn't get Rex because he's too new then I don't think we'd get a Gen 8 Pokémon or FE Three Houses because they're too new

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Pretty sure it wasn't Nintendo who picked Corrin. I think it was the FE devs

D

Deleted member

If we get a new Pokémon as DLC, we’re gonna get complaints about Pokémon Bias, aren’t we?

beans

Smash Lord
If we didn't get Rex because he's too new then I don't think we'd get a Gen 8 Pokémon or FE Three Houses because they're too new
Nintendo choose them. and since they are more in-house projects, it wouldnt be hard to get material to make a fighter

Pretty sure it wasn't Nintendo who picked Corrin. I think it was the FE devs
Pretty sure it wasnt Sakurai either, it was the smash development team who convinced him to put Corrin.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Maybe, but what if Sakurai got word of the character before the public and worked on them before the release of their game, like with :ultroy::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:? Perhaps Rex just happened to be a special case compared to the rest, with him not really having as much time to do it in time. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

:ultmario:Captain Toad
:ultdk:Dixie Kong
:ultlink:Impa
:ultsamus:Sylux
:ultkirby:Bandanna Waddle Dee
:ultpikachu:Gen 8 Pokemon
:ultmarth:Edelgard
:ultshulk:Elma
If we get a new Pokémon as DLC, we’re gonna get complaints about Pokémon Bias, aren’t we?
Oh, you know we are. Even though I'd say that the bias Pokemon has is completely justified...
Pokemon is huge, there's a reason why it gets special treatment

Pokemon may or may not also be one of my all time favorite franchises too, so...
I’m pretty sure gen 8 will be shown off in 2019
Gen 8 is all but confirmed to be in 2019

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Why did you forget that greninja and incineroar got in similar to Corrin

Concept art before the game came out
(Incineroar is due to being a wrestler and Sakurai adding a character who focusing on wrestling we know dang well game freak showed them concept art just like last time)

And you fatal mistake for gen 8 rep

dlc doesn’t end till 2020 and I’m pretty sure gen 8 will be shown off in 2019

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Susie is from Kirby, she was confirmed a Spirit on the website.
She is...sorta an antagonist? She’s basically the main bad guys secretary (hence why I wanted her as Isabelle’s spirit) but later turns good.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Based on the knowledge Nintendo gave Sakurai a selection to choose from:

Mario - Captain Toad
DK - Funky Kong. Controversial perhaps, but they push him more than Dixie it seems.
Zelda - A Champion. More recent and from a popular title that got rave reviews.
Samus - Sylux...on the basis the series really has no one else to consider.
Kirby - Bandana Dee. Player 4 of the modern Kirby games and essentially a main stay.
Pokemon - Gen 8 Pokemon...down the line if there's a wave 2. Promotion, etc. That's how GameFreak and co. roll.
Fire Emblem - As above but with Edelgard or Byleth.
Xenoblade - At this point who knows? If only one wave then Elma or maybe even Cross. If there's a wave 2 Rex would be first.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

:ultmario: Captain Toad? That's if Sakurai can make his whole no-jumping shtick work
:ultlink: I don't think Zelda will be getting a DLC rep. Don't really see Impa happening. Tingle perhaps?
:ultsamus: Sylux? Not that there are many other options anyways
:ultmarth: Three Houses Rep
:ultshulk: Elma? Barely know anything about the series but I guess it's her by default (unless a promotional character for the next Xenoblade game?)

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Susie is from Kirby, she was confirmed a Spirit on the website.
She is...sorta an antagonist? She’s basically the main bad guys secretary (hence why I wanted her as Isabelle’s spirit) but later turns good.
Well, I'm not even sure if she turns good at all.
She isn't "evil" too, she just has some personal problems and does what she does for complex reasons, most of those reaasons aren't even told in the game, HAL went more in depth with the story of the game on different media, especially Miiverse when it still existed.

If I remember well (trying to avoid spoilers but not completely, some spoilers are still there):
during an experiment, she was sent for error to Another Dimension (a specific place in the Kirby universe, despite the generic name). When she returned, her father was unable to recognize her, and she became her secretary in order to stay with her father all the time, even though he doesn't recognize her anymore.
Because of those experiments, her father, Haltmann, lost part of his memory and went crazy with time; initially, all what he wanted was to bring her daughter back to his dimension, but with time he forgot about his original plan and became evil and obsessed with money.
At the end of the game, Susie takes a little revenge toward her father, though, this way she unintentionally generates a mess that results in the death of her father and almost destroying the whole universe. She helps Kirby because she understands the problem she has generated and because it wasn't her intention.

So I don't know, it's a complex situation, I'm not sure about Susie's alignment.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
:ultmario: Captain Toad? That's if Sakurai can make his whole no-jumping shtick work
:ultlink: I don't think Zelda will be getting a DLC rep. Don't really see Shiek happening. Tingle perhaps?
:ultsamus: Sylux? Not that there are many other options anyways
:ultmarth: Three Houses Rep
:ultshulk: Elma? Barely know anything about the series but I guess it's her by default (unless a promotional character for the next Xenoblade game?)
Yeah I wouldn’t see shiek happening either :c

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Regarding first-parties, I don't have the slightest idea who Nintendo would want to add.

:ultmario: - Captain Toad or Paper Mario, I guess. Not sure how likely they really are, but if Nintendo is calling the shots, I guess any prominent Mario character would be expected to sell well.
:ultdk:- Suprisingly, this is the hardest franchise for me to pinpoint a frontrunner. Even though most people assume Dixie, I could see Nintendo pushing for Funky or even Cranky as the next DK rep. All three are pretty iconic in their own rights.
:ultlink: - By the process of elimination, the only realistic Zelda characters left who haven't already been disconfirmed by ATs, stage hazards, and FSs are Impa, Toon Zelda/Tetra, and the Champions. Between those three, the Champs are the only ones who I could actually see Nintendo wanting to promote on the Switch. BotW did phenomenally well, and it continues to sell copies up to this day.
:ultsamus: - Sylux, but I'm not sure if MP4 would've been taken into consideration. Depends on how much time and money Nintendo has invested in it.
:ultkirby: - I'd say Bandana Dee, but honestly, it's hard picturing Nintendo choose BWD out of everyone else. He isn't the best promotional character.
:ultpikachu: - Gen 8 rep, but same thing as MP4. Depends on how much planning ahead of time was done.
:ultmarth: - Three Houses rep. Same as MP4 and Gen 8, though I think FE would be a lower priority than those two.
:ultshulk: - Elma. mainly because it seemed like Sakurai outright deconfirmed Rex. Can't think of a reason why Nintendo would want to promote Elma though, especially since her game was on the Wii U.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Regarding first-parties, I don't have the slightest idea who Nintendo would want to add.

:ultmario: - Captain Toad or Paper Mario, I guess. Not sure how likely they really are, but if Nintendo is calling the shots, I guess any prominent Mario character would be expected to sell well.
:ultdk:- Suprisingly, this is the hardest franchise for me to pinpoint a frontrunner. Even though most people assume Dixie, I could see Nintendo pushing for Funky or even Cranky as the next DK rep. All three are pretty iconic in their own rights.
:ultlink: - By the process of elimination, the only realistic Zelda characters left who haven't already been disconfirmed by ATs, stage hazards, and FSs are Impa, Toon Zelda/Tetra, and the Champions. Between those three, the Champs are the only ones who I could actually see Nintendo wanting to promote on the Switch. BotW did phenomenally well, and it continues to sell copies up to this day.
:ultsamus: - Sylux, but I'm not sure if MP4 would've been taken into consideration. Depends on how much time and money Nintendo has invested in it.
:ultkirby: - I'd say Bandana Dee, but honestly, it's hard picturing Nintendo choose BWD out of everyone else. He isn't the best promotional character.
:ultpikachu: - Gen 8 rep, but same thing as MP4. Depends on how much planning ahead of time was done.
:ultmarth: - Three Houses rep. Same as MP4 and Gen 8, though I think FE would be a lower priority than those two.
:ultshulk: - Elma. mainly because it seemed like Sakurai outright deconfirmed Rex. Can't think of a reason why Nintendo would want to promote Elma though, especially since her game was on the Wii U.
I’m fine with the Champs but Nintendo would have to choose ONE of them. And just a single champ would be weird. To me, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom