• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Considering the title of THIS game:

It's not out of the realm of possibility...
I'd also be kinda peeved at Poochy.

It'd be interesting to see what Sakurai could do with a literal dog though.
But Fire Emblem is also one of Nintendo's lesser series, especially in North America.

I swear, you could make a whole civil war between Metroid and Fire Emblem if Metroid goes down the character route.
No?

Fire Emblem Awakening saved the series based on its Western sales. Fire Emblem has launched itself into secondary Nintendo series territory alongside Xenoblade and others. Metroid is more tertiary given releases and their popularity.

You'll need to find a better example.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

MFW I see discussion on more Metroid or a secondary Yoshi character instead of the one who matters:

notfunky2.png

LetterO

Smash Lord
I guess?

But Metroid is also one of Nintendo's lesser series, especially in Japan. Even compared to other Nintendo characters Sylux isn't all that popular.

I'd be more peeved at his inclusion than others at Corrin's inclusion.
He'll be pretty popular if he is indeed in MP4, which is the entire reason why he's even speculated as DLC.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
MFW I see discussion on more Metroid or a secondary Yoshi character instead of the one who matters:

View attachment 177959
I wouldn't even be mad if Funky Kong got in and had a moveset based around his flying surfboard. It's the only meme that could top Piranha Plant.
*cries in duck hunt*
Okay but Duck Hunt Dog had the Duck and NES Zapper to work with.

Poochy is literally just a dog.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Funky Kong would genuinely be a great choice and I would rather have him than Dixie Kong. Change my mind or I will give you all his moveset potential :bobomb:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Even with the DLC already being prepackaged with one character, stage, and some music, I hope Nintendo decides to throw in some extra goodies like some assist trophies or character costumes. Maybe even a free mode or two similar to how Splatoon 2 did things~
Break the targets or board the platforms DLC, please. Especially if they are personalized for each characters.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
He'll be pretty popular if he is indeed in MP4, which is the entire reason why he's even speculated as DLC.
Would he though? I feel like all Metroid villains play second fiddle to Mother Brain and Ridley, Sylux included. Unless he is the main antagonist and Ridley and Mother Brain aren't in the game at all, he's likely going to get overshadowed.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"He'll be popular in the future" is a kinda weird justification for a character that isn't Pokemon

Plus, Corrin became pretty popular in FE fanbase and people still hold her inclusion against her.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The fanbase not caring is what gets to me.
Here's a (not so) hot take:

The Yoshi series is perfectly represented by Yoshi itself. There are other series that could be better represented with a character over Yoshi such as Warioware, Xenoblade, Kirby, etc. I'd even say the Legend of Zelda series, which is (here's a real hot take) perfectly represented as it stands now, could use another character over Yoshi.

I'm sorry, but there are better character picks than Poochy or Kamek.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Break the targets or board the platforms DLC, please. Especially if they are personalized for each characters.
I'm still pretty nostalgic for those modes. With so many characters in the game now, that would sure be a whole lo of break the target and board the platforms, haha. I wouldn't mind if they through in an extra online Smash Run as well and made it so you can all see each other around the map unlike with the 3DS version. I'm sure it would be a whole lot more fun that way! Just like Kirby's Air Ride's City Trial Mode. That was my jam~

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I guess?

But Metroid is also one of Nintendo's lesser series, especially in Japan. Even compared to other Nintendo characters Sylux isn't all that popular.

I'd be more peeved at his inclusion than others at Corrin's inclusion.
Yeah. I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm really glad that Metroid finally got the representation it deserves in Smash.

But I wouldn't exactly be thrilled with a 3rd new Metroid rep that gets in for promotional reasons.

Yeah I know. Kind of ironic coming from the guy that just advocated for Corrin earlier today, but I was against her inclusion for a long time before I actually played her a few months back.

Maybe this'll end up being the same way. But for now, I wouldn't be excited for Sylux's inclusion.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Do people actually enjoy those modes? I just beat them for accomplishment's sake and then never touched them again. Give me stage builder.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Would he though? I feel like all Metroid villains play second fiddle to Mother Brain and Ridley, Sylux included. Unless he is the main antagonist and Ridley and Mother Brain aren't in the game at all, he's likely going to get overshadowed.
Except Dark Samus. She was a pretty big deal.

I'm not very confident in Sylux either, but I definitely wouldn't complain if he showed up.

osby

Smash Obsessed

The Yoshi series is perfectly represented by Yoshi itself. There are other series that could be better represented with a character over Yoshi such as Warioware, Xenoblade, Kirby, etc. I'd even say the Legend of Zelda series, which is (here's a real hot take) perfectly represented as it stands now, could use another character over Yoshi.

I wouldn't say Yoshi needs another character, but if it gets one, I won't compare it to other franchises.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I agree but I try not to say it because Zinith will punch me lol

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Do people actually enjoy those modes? I just beat them for accomplishment's sake and then never touched them again. Give me stage builder.
Yep, the thrill of trying to gain a new record was kind of exciting for me. I challenged them every once in a while. It seemed like a nice change of pace.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

It used to be about the series revolving around the character of Yoshi himself regardless of what the games entailed (Yoshi (NES), Yoshi's Safari, etc.), but ever since Yoshi's Story, it's been defined by it's aesthetics and the pace of the action. Yes, Yoshi is the BIGGEST aspect of the series and you can say it's "repped" just fine, but that shouldn't exclude characters like Poochy because HE represents the style of Yoshi's games just as much as my boi

LetterO

Smash Lord
I have no idea. They've only been hinted at in Prime 3 and Federation Force. Also, Mother Brain has never appeared in the Prime games. Ridley will probably show up again, though he could also not make an appearence at all like he did Prime 2.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Break the Targets most likely won't return. It's implausible getting 70+ stages for it and that's what most people want it, apparently.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yep, the thrill of trying to gain a new record was kind of exciting for me. I challenged them every once in a while. It seemed like a nice change of pace.
To each their own, I suppose. I'm not really one for "high score" type things.

Edit: However I did care when there was an achievement attached in Smash.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'll miss the Homerun Contest and Stage Builder. Did I play them much? Not really. Is this game trash without them? Not at all. But i'll miss them.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Plus target tests kept getting progressively worse after Melee. They started off by being character-specific, then they changed to 5 difficulties in Brawl, then to that stupid bomb mini game thing in Smash 4... I personally wouldn't miss target tests. I am really going to miss stage builder though ...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You want my hot take, I think singleplayer modes should be dead last on the priority list for a fighting game. Hell I haven't touched the singleplayer of a Smash game since Subspace.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'll miss the Homerun Contest and Stage Builder. Did I play them much? Not really. Is this game trash without them? Not at all. But i'll miss them.
Stage Builder was kinda already dead with how they tried to implement it in 4. Home Run Content is kinda... to be honest, I think people just don't like it missing because it's not there, even though there's no real point in having it there anymore outside of "muh tradition".

You want my hot take, I think singleplayer modes should be dead last on the priority list for a fighting game. Hell I haven't touched the singleplayer of a Smash game since Subspace.
And now you have World of Light.

Smash is way different from generic fighting games, even stuff like Break the Targets is so phenomenal because it pushes the limits of the "platforming" part of a platform fighter.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Mother Brain hasn't been in anything for decades unless you count the GBA remake of Metroid 1 in 2004.

Sylux has a pretty much 100% chance of being the main antagonist of Prime 4. They've been building him up for 3 games now.

Ridley will probably appear, but he's not usually the main antagonist. We already have him and Dark Samus anyways, so does it matter much if he overshadows Sylux overall?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When it comes to second Yoshi characters, you know who I want?

Shy Guy.

The Guy himself has always been my favorite Mario series generic goon. Plus all of the subvariants could easily fill out a moveset. I remember they gave him an electrified spear in Mario Hoops 3-on-3, for example. Propeller Guy is an obvious up special.

Bring on Shy Guy, I say.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I also thing competitive aspect should be low priority on a party game. Though it's not how it works and a good game should have content for different demographics.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Break the Targets most likely won't return. It's implausible getting 70+ stages for it and that's what most people want it, apparently.
I agree. It probably wont return. Still, I wonder what Sakurai could do with these many creative movesets.

To each their own, I suppose. I'm not really one for "high score" type things.

Edit: However I did care when there was an achievement attached in Smash.
Yeah, I understand. Its fine if you didnt enjoy it.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
When it comes to second Yoshi characters, you know who I want?

Shy Guy.

The Guy himself has always been my favorite Mario series generic goon. Plus all of the subvariants could easily fill out a moveset. I remember they gave him an electrified spear in Mario Hoops 3-on-3, for example. Propeller Guy is an obvious up special.

Bring on Shy Guy, I say.
Needs more cowbell.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
The fanbase not caring is what gets to me.
I love the Yoshi games, but why would I care about a second character at all?

Poochy would be fun but he's absolutely fine just as an assist. Baby Bowser or Magikoopa do not interest me at all. I don't care for any of the Baby Mario characters either. None of them seem like they'd add anything substantial to the game aside from just to add another rep for Yoshi, who doesn't need one.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I love the Yoshi games, but why would I care about a second character at all?

Poochy would be fun but he's absolutely fine just as an assist. Baby Bowser or Magikoopa do not interest me at all. I don't care for any of the Baby Mario characters either. None of them seem like they'd add anything substantial to the game aside from just to add another rep for Yoshi, who doesn't need one.
I'm just tired of the excuses, that's all

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Honestly I had no idea who your avatar was, and even after googling I didn't recognize him. Guess I've been way far from Tekken :p

I did not. I knew they had a Ghibli specialized shop, museum and that's about it. His apprentice opened a new studio btw.

I told you, unless you've been a long time fan you won't appreciate the deliberate music style. Not sure, but I think it won awards (at least in Japan), and no I don't think they should ever replace Sugiyama. You know, I said Yoko just like that but I thought the name was familiar. I met the lady, such a nice person. She has a great track record (no pun intended). Not only FF btw, SF too and she actually did arrange for Smash in the past (since Brawl).

I haven't read anything new related to Hitagi, but Hitagi said he himself is not assuring anything as things are still on the table. That's when he got the info. Everything is decided now however, so I'm not sure if he knows anything beyond that new point. Has anything surfaced?
Hmmm I think Lee has been in Tekken since Tekken 2 and took a brief hiatus in Tekken 3, and he appeared as Violet in Tekken 4 due to him being in disguise. He's most famous for saying the word excellent in his ending stories, he is somewhat of a joke character in that his endings are usually funny.

I did not know his apprentice opened his own studio what is it called? I know someone from Ghibli went to Toho, as Mary and the Witch's flower has the same animation style as Ghibli films.

Yeah unfortunately DQ music is a pass for me, hopefully they make it better? I don't know its seems Sugiyama has drawn a lot of negative attention to himself lately. Im not sure if Square will like to continue working with someone like that. However if he has composed this long they should stay with him, if he can be reasoned with. Oh wow very jealous that you met Yoko Shimomura, she seems like such a nice and humble person. Lol great track, but yes she does. I did not know she also worked on Brawl, but it seems whatever project she's assigned to she finds a way for the music to tell a story. Just listening to Apocalypsis Noctis and you sit in awe as to how she came up with an incredible music piece like that.

I know someone here posted what Hitagi said recently, and he has basically taken a major leap backwards. He said he is unsure of Katalina and believes negotiants may not be for Smash, but for a future project. He also said he did not believe Steve was confirmed among some other things, if I find the link I will send it to you. It just seems suspicious as he isn't backpedalling anymore, but more like doing a u-turn on what he stated in the past. I suppose we will have to see its not long now until the game comes out.

BTW I just bought Octopath Traveler and its a very fun game. It got me thinking if they added a character in smash from Octopath which one would it be? I think it would be Therion or H'aanit, which one do you think they would choose if they added one of the characters in Smash?

This is an example of one of Lee's funny endings in Tekken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom