• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Ugh, I really hate what they're doing with the victory themes in this game. I'm a little scared for Shulk's now. The only footage I've seen of him winning has the pose get cut off before the theme ends.
Yeah - I get Sakurai wanting to speed things up in general, but you've gotta have a decent length theme to savour the victory.

Also not keen on the theme they chose for the Inklings but w/e, wasn't probably going to use them much anyways

D

Deleted member

I really don't want him in though, I don't know what other way you want me to drill it in. I could make a moveset for Ashley but I still never want her in.
Really the only character I need to worry about is Steve because I've gambled so much ego into him.

But the payoff will be worth it. :072:
You can deny all you want, but in your soul you truly want Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Steve is the curious character here...

Other character like Sora are easy to imagine how he moves , attacks and even a Kirby form.

But for Steve? I wanna see how he moves, his attacks and everything else.

Thats the magic here.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
What's the point of advertising 1st party games through DLC?
If they were base roster that's fine, but as DLC one can simply skip the download. It's like using an ad block XD

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I hate it when people say that Steve can't bring much to the table, when it's actually the exact opposite...
Here, let me make a pretty interesting move set with what Steve can offer...
Neutral Special: Block Place Steve places a block. It can be stacked to make walls, be set on fire with Steve's Side B for longer reach, and can be destroyed when it takes enough damage. Using the Down Special, he can toggle what block he uses...
The default choices are a stack of Dirt Blocks and a a stack of Sand Blocks. When he crafts using resources he gains during the fight, he can get more stuff like Stone Blocks, Wood Blocks, a Block of TNT, Diamond Blocks, Slime Blocks, Anvil and Pistons...

Dirt is pretty weak, but it's not bad for what Steve starts out with
Sand is the weakest of the bunch, but when breaking blocks beneath it or placing it in the air, it will fall and slightly damage opponents beneath it
Wood is the easiest to obtain and catches fire pretty quickly, making for some good chain attacks, with Steve's Side B. However it's fairly easy to destroy
Stone is somewhat strong and fairly easy to obtain, but it can't catch fire...
Slime Blocks act as a sort of trampoline. When a fighter steps on them, they bounce off...
Pistons can damage foes and launch them upwards...
Anvil is a much stronger version of Sand. Breaking a block beneath it or placing it in the air will damage the opponents quite a bit. It also has a meteor smash effect in the air...
Diamond Blocks are the rarest of the bunch, but are extremely sturdy...
Block of TNT can explode and damage opponents. But be careful, it can damage Steve too...

Up Special: Ender Pearl Steve throws an Ender Pearl, and he will teleport to where it lands... Can be aimed

Side Special Flint & Steel: This move will cause Steve to create a nearby fire that lasts for a couple of seconds... Basically Ness and Lucas' PK Fire, without the reach... Placing a fire near certain blocks will cause them to do a little chain reaction...

Down Special Menu: Crafting Table During the fight, Steve will pick up resources. Using the down special will open up a crafting menu which Steve can use to upgrade his armor and weapons... This move is also used to toggle the Item he uses in his Neutral Special
He can craft the following items...

Wood Blocks
Stone Blocks
Diamond Blocks,
TNT
Slime Blocks
Piston
Anvil
Stone, Gold, Iron, and Diamond Swords
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Helmets
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Chestplates
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Leggings
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Boots

Final Smash: The End Steve creates an end portal, and out of it spawn some Endermen, and the Ender Dragon...
Endermen will do serious damage to opponents who are looking in their direction, and the Ender Dragon will fly across the screen, causing a ton of damage
It might be a bit ambitious, but I don't care
Alright kids sit down it's time for some theory crafting.

Basic thing to start off with is easily the :GCB: moves.

N-:GCB:: Pistons. Set it down and wait for someone (or a reflective projectile) to get sent flying in a certain direction. To activate it, you need to hit the pressure plate/button on the opposite end before triggering the piston. Before setting the piston, you can set which direction for it to be facing: up, down (in the air), left, or right. It will eventually disappear or be removed if a new one is placed.
S-:GCB:: Minecart. Pretty simple. I'd say a mishmash of the Bullet Bill item and :ultwario:'s bike. First thing you have to do is set foot in it, which could be done by either Steve himself, an opponent, or an item. Once that is met, it sets off. It can't change direction, but it's fast and hits somewhat hard. Of course you need a set of minecart tracks, which I'd say have a set of a few units before the cart disappears, and immediately disappears if it gets off the ground no matter the distance. Can't be used as a recovery though because you can't set Minecarts in the air you dummy.
U-:GCB:: Eye of Ender. Aim it and chuck it like it's Yoshi's Island. Wherever it lands, you go. It can hit enemies, so even if they telegraph it, they'll get hit so they won't be able to tackle you immediately.
D-:GCB:: Splash Potions. Think of it like :ultsimon: Holy Water:ultrichter:, but instead of fire, you get various debuffs that last for a period of time. The most notrious one is the Splash Potion of Poison, which I suppose would have similar effects of poison to the upcoming :ultpiranha:, and the Splash Potions of Weakness and Slowness. I'd also consider the Potion of Decay, which inflicts Wither, a similar DPS like Poison that kills you (unlike Poison). But that'd be pretty broken unless it only kills you if you're already at 100%+, I suppose.

Something about the Pistons and Minecart, as with most crafted items, you can destroy them by attacking them. The same applies to these items.

This is taking a while to type so I'll probably do the :GCA: attacks later since it takes way much more time.
I guess I should be more open-minded about new characters (even ones I don't particularly like) in the future. These are some neat ideas, and I'm glad you guys took the time to create these.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Alright kids sit down it's time for some theory crafting.

Basic thing to start off with is easily the :GCB: moves.

N-:GCB:: Pistons. Set it down and wait for someone (or a reflective projectile) to get sent flying in a certain direction. To activate it, you need to hit the pressure plate/button on the opposite end before triggering the piston. Before setting the piston, you can set which direction for it to be facing: up, down (in the air), left, or right. It will eventually disappear or be removed if a new one is placed.
S-:GCB:: Minecart. Pretty simple. I'd say a mishmash of the Bullet Bill item and :ultwario:'s bike. First thing you have to do is set foot in it, which could be done by either Steve himself, an opponent, or an item. Once that is met, it sets off. It can't change direction, but it's fast and hits somewhat hard. Of course you need a set of minecart tracks, which I'd say have a set of a few units before the cart disappears, and immediately disappears if it gets off the ground no matter the distance. Can't be used as a recovery though because you can't set Minecarts in the air you dummy.
U-:GCB:: Eye of Ender. Aim it and chuck it like it's Yoshi's Island. Wherever it lands, you go. It can hit enemies, so even if they telegraph it, they'll get hit so they won't be able to tackle you immediately.
D-:GCB:: Splash Potions. Think of it like :ultsimon: Holy Water:ultrichter:, but instead of fire, you get various debuffs that last for a period of time. The most notrious one is the Splash Potion of Poison, which I suppose would have similar effects of poison to the upcoming :ultpiranha:, and the Splash Potions of Weakness and Slowness. I'd also consider the Potion of Decay, which inflicts Wither, a similar DPS like Poison that kills you (unlike Poison). But that'd be pretty broken unless it only kills you if you're already at 100%+, I suppose.

Something about the Pistons and Minecart, as with most crafted items, you can destroy them by attacking them. The same applies to these items.

This is taking a while to type so I'll probably do the :GCA: attacks later since it takes way much more time.
Not bad, specifically I like the inclusion of both Pistons and Potions which I never see people include when talking about him.

Only problem I can see is with recovery. You're gonna need to throw that Eye a long way to recover properly. Also from what you describe I can imagine people throwing themselves in front of the Eye to gimp you. Maybe make it so that if it hits an enemy you teleport to them?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah - I get Sakurai wanting to speed things up in general, but you've gotta have a decent length theme to savour the victory.

Also not keen on the theme they chose for the Inklings but w/e, wasn't probably going to use them much anyways
Too slow, too fast, sometimes you just can't win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-avN1eDoQ

Smash gameplay balancing in a nutshell.

I guess I should be more open-minded about new characters (even ones I don't particularly like) in the future. These are some neat ideas, and I'm glad you guys took the time to create these.
The best aspect I can see in such a situation is that it opens the door for other Western TPs to get in in the future. When you start at the bottom, it can only go up from there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For the satisfaction of being right, yes. But as a character? :smirk: Nah.
“guys i-it’s just for the satisfaction of being right, i dont actually want steve haha”
This is an accepting environment, be honest with us.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
“guys i-it’s just for the satisfaction of being right, i dont actually want steve haha”
I don't even WANT want him, but I still think he would be cool. His moveset would probably show off a lot of things that you can do in Minecraft, and the stage itself might be really cool, as long as it isn't just a grassy field lol. Like if it transitions to the underground and maybe the Nether and stuff it would be lit as hell. Creeper hazards etc

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
What's the point of advertising 1st party games through DLC?
If they were base roster that's fine, but as DLC one can simply skip the download. It's like using an ad block XD
That's why they're going to make the characters appealing in moveset and design, so that you feel like you're missing out if you don't get them.

That's also why I'm not all that worried at the possibility of advertisement DLC. An ad can still be enjoyable if done properly.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Half bored, half procrastinating, I've decided to rate each character based on their alts! Now this will only be a scale from 0-3. 0 is something has gone terribly wrong, 1-2 is ok or an improvement, but something still isn't right, and 3 is perfect/good variation and references. Alright here we go!

:ultbayonetta: 2 - Bayonetta has always had good alts. Love the two versions of her. Not a 3 because as far as I know nothing changed from 4. Could have given her an alt referencing her costumes in the Switch version.
:ultbowser:1 - Not only are they the same it seems, Mario getting a Wedding outfit but not Bowser? A crime.
:ultbowserjr:3 - One of the best list of alts in the game, for obvious reasons. Love that each Koopa Kid also has their own stock icon.
:ultfalcon:2 - Cool. Appreciate Blood Falcon.
:ultchrom:1 - According to Smash Wiki only one or two seem to be refrencing anything. They're all kind of same-y and I wish his hair changed like Lucina.
:ultcloud:3 - I love his two forms, and I learned today that they are even two different swords? Neat.
:ultcorrin:3 - Male and Female are great, and I love the Black Female alt.
:ultdaisy:2 - Daisy has got some bomb alts. Really wish she got a sport outfit though.
:ultdarkpit:2 - There is a darker skinned one that is a reference to Magnus so that's pretty cool.
:ultdarksamus:3 - These are so pretty I can't even. I love them all.
:ultdiddy:2 - These are fine. According to Smash Wiki they are mostly references which is cool.
:ultdk:2 - Again fine, but I really feel like they could have given him something. Maybe a PunchOut reference one?
:ultdoc:0 - Should just be an alt for Mario (I'm salty).
:ultduckhunt:3 - I love love love love their alts and always have. Dalmatian best dog.
:ultfalco:2 - Fine. I like his Ultimate design.
:ultfox:3 - I really like the purple one. Not much else you could do with Fox.
:ultganondorf:2 - I'm torn, while I love his Ultimate design this is supposed to be a rating of alts. And it would have been cool to have a TP or HW alt. Oh well.
:ultgreninja:2 - I think these are all the same.
:ulticeclimbers:3 - Perfect just because they kept the Nana alt. Good.
:ultike:3 - Even though Radiant Dawn is the superior alt, it is so cool you can play as both alts. Great job Sakurai.
:ultincineroar:3 - Big the Cat alt wins. Also Shiny alt is cool. Overall really fun colors.
:ultinkling:3 - Just so many fun options. The ink color changes is also an amazing touch.
:ultisabelle:2 - Pretty good, but from what I remember from Amiibo festival she had more alts. Would have been nice to see more outfits.
:ultjigglypuff:2 - I think the same from Smash 4, but they're good.
:ultken:1 - These seem boring to me...idk I'm not a Street Fighter fan.
:ultkingdedede:2 - I love his monochrome, but Masked Dedede should have been one.
:ultkrool:2 - Some real fun colors, and I'll cut the team some slack on not having a Captain alt due to the crown being part of his moveset.
:ultkirby:3 - Kirby has perfect adorable alts.
:ultlink:1 - I'm torn again. While I appreciate the Tunic of the Wild alts, I would love to have seem varied outfits from Breath of the Wild. Not having "Naked" Link and Gerudo Link is a crime.
:ultlittlemac:0 - I'm like 99% sure he lost alts.
:ultlucario:2 - Fine.
:ultlucas:3 - Having a Claus alt makes me cry. I think the gray "Masked Man" alt is lame, but it's ok. Also Boney shirt.
:ultlucina:3 - Love that her hair changes and that she references so many characters. Also apparently the crest of her cape changes for some so good detail.
:ultluigi:1 - Mario got new cool alts and Luigi was left in the dust. Shame.
:ultmario:2 - Should have been a 3, but for SOME reason they removed his Fire Flower alt. Seriously, what were they thinking?
:ultmarth:1 - More or less have the same complaint as Chrom.
:ultmegaman:3 - While I'm not a Mega Man fan I really appreciate his alts referencing his different abilities.
:ultmetaknight:3 - Dark Meta Knight and Galacta Knight are great additions.
:ultmewtwo:1 - No Shadow Mewtwo or Robot Mewtwo alt? Eh.
:ultgnw:3 - Honestly I don't know what you'd change.
:ultness:2 - PJ Ness would have been nice.
:ultolimar:0 - Look. Either Alph becomes an echo, or all of Olimar's alts are the other playable captains (3 Olimar alts and the other 5 Captains). This is just bad.
:ultpacman:0 - Pac-Man's alts are a mess and you know it.
:ultpalutena:2 - I actually can't see them on Smash Wiki lol, but I assume they are Smash 4's which is fine.
:ultpeach:2 - Peach has good alts. Could have some variation like Daisy.
:ultpichu:3 - Listen. Goggle. Bandannas (Team Skull specifically). They even did Spiky Ear Pichu even though it's barely different. So much love went into Pichu's alts and I just can't.
:ultpikachu:3 - The Female alt is a nice touch, but Pikachu Libre is the real reason for a 3, let's not lie.
:ultpiranha:2 - I really love that some are potted and some are in pipes.
:ultpit:2 - Eh.
:ultpokemontrainer:3 - Male & Female, and darker skin options? Fantastic.
:ultrichter:1 - Lacking a SOTN alt is depressing.
:ultridley:3 - SO GOOD. Beautiful colors and two Meta alts are fantastic. BTW I'm biased.
:ultrob:2 - ROB has always had nice alts.
:ultrobin:0 - This is a very personal attack. I prefer female Robin, BUT not this ugly pigtailed one. I really wish all the alts were of a different hair style and build. I might not be able to play as my OC Robin, but I'd be able to get close. I do love the White Mage Robin reference though.
:ultrosalina:2 - Beautiful alts, but she needed a biker outfit.
:ultroy:1 - See Marth & Chrom.
:ultryu:1 - See Ken.
:ultsamus:2- Fusion is nice, but it would be cool if her light suit actually was her light suit and not just a reference. Also the Dark Samus alt was my favorite so RIP.
:ultsheik:2 - I can't tell but her last two alts seem new and intrigue me.
:ultshulk:3 - I don't understand how they did the hair dye thing for Shulk but missed so many other characters. Either way much better alts.
:ultsimon:2 - Simon is ugly but I appreciate the hair changes.
:ultsnake:3 - Cheetah print is back and that's all that maters.
:ultsonic:0 - Sonic's alts suck and you know it.
:ulttoonlink:2 - I think Toon Link's are good but would have liked a Outset Island outfit.
:ultvillager:3 - Bless Sakurai/Nintendo for the darker skin alts.
:ultwario:2 - Fine.
:ultwiifittrainer:2 - Appreciate the gender options, but otherwise is just OK.
:ultwolf:2 - I didn't realize they could make Wolf gayer and then they gave him an all pink alt too. Love it.
:ultyoshi:2 - A character who truly suffers from the standardized 8 alts of Smash Ultimate. The Craft alt is the only thing keeping Yoshi from being a 1, because it is so dang cool.
:ultyounglink:0 - Honestly these are very boring, and when compared to Toon Link even the dark alt feels tired and overdone. I don't have a lot of ideas, but even an alt that had a mask, or maybe the bunny hood would have been fun.
:ultzelda:2 - Kind of the same as Ganondorf. Also surprised at the lack of a Hilda alt.
:ultzss:2 - Zero Suit has good alts.
Man was that a lot. But it was fun! I'd love to hear people's thoughts or ideas on alts that they wish were in the game. It was really nice to go through and see just how many cool alts are in though.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
That's why they're going to make the characters appealing in moveset and design, so that you feel like you're missing out if you don't get them.
That's also why I'm not all that worried at the possibility of advertisement DLC. An ad can still be enjoyable if done properly.
I wonder how appealing a new FE character would be? I didn't DL Corrin in 4.
I guess Steve is meant to appeal for MC fans not Smash core fans.

Iridium

Smash Hero
To be honest, the main thing B&K fans have going for them would be nostalgia, and that doesn't really seem to be going anywhere right now. I feel bad for them, since it's like they're trapped in purgatory.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be honest, the main thing B&K fans have going for them would be nostalgia, and that doesn't really seem to be going anywhere right now.
Really?
:ultsimon::ultkrool:
You might want to think that over, just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>people genuinely wanting Steve
You know, knowing this board's luck at affecting causality, something tells me we'll probably have neither him nor Banjo, and just wind up with someone completely different.

To be honest, the main thing B&K fans have going for them would be nostalgia, and that doesn't really seem to be going anywhere right now. I feel bad for them, since it's like they're trapped in purgatory.
At least Microsoft and Rare are still around. I don't know what'll happen to Earthworm Jim. :(

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really don't, though. The Microsoft characters I want are the Chief and Fulgore.

I legit want Steve.

More than Banjo, actually. :p
ok

Not bad, specifically I like the inclusion of both Pistons and Potions which I never see people include when talking about him.

Only problem I can see is with recovery. You're gonna need to throw that Eye a long way to recover properly. Also from what you describe I can imagine people throwing themselves in front of the Eye to gimp you. Maybe make it so that if it hits an enemy you teleport to them?
No, it doesn't work like the :ultlink: boomerang, it works like the :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: boomerang and goes through the enemy through a stun that make them stop moving once they hit them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wonder how appealing a new FE character would be? I didn't DL Corrin in 4.
I guess Steve is meant to appeal for MC fans not Smash core fans.
Does "a spellcaster who casts magic without a tome at the cost of her health, with higher health forfeiture leading to higher damage output, who specializes in fire and light magic" sound good to you? :p

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Really?
:ultsimon::ultkrool:
You might want to think that over, just saying.
>Simon
>when Castlevania and Simon haven't been dead for a substantial amount of time

>K. Rool
>a first party and en masse demand from across the world

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Does "a spellcaster who casts magic without a tome at the cost of her health, with higher health forfeiture leading to higher damage output, who specializes in fire and light magic" sound good to you? :p
Not without Alm...they’re a package and we can’t disrespect him like he’s Chrom (who gets to take all the disrespect)

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I think Banjo fans might have a shot.. based on one thing.
If coming up with a move set for Steve turns out to be a bit troublesome, then Sakurai will make the call here, not Nintendo.
Going for Banjo would be the logical easier way. Pray for that Banjo fans XD

Also, does anyone know from which game this girl is?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know, knowing this board's luck at affecting causality, something tells me we'll probably have neither him nor Banjo, and just wind up with someone completely different.

At least Microsoft and Rare are still around. I don't know what'll happen to Earthworm Jim. :(
O-Oh no!! We'll get Master Chief!!!

(i want chief so badly)

I think Banjo fans might have a shot.. based on one thing.
If coming up with a move set for Steve turns out to be a bit troublesome, then Sakurai will make the call here, not Nintendo.
Going for Banjo would be the logical easier way. Pray for that Banjo fans XD

Also, does anyone know from which game this girl is?
Sakurai, who made a ****ing PIRANHA PLANT DLC, is known for going the easy way

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, Gharnef is clearly a guy but whatever.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

watch as the direct starts with this piece of music

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yo- Did that random Chrom Counter killed at 98~116% against Simon's F-tilt when Chrom was only at 60~% almost mid-stage?
Wtf?

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
No, it doesn't work like the :ultlink: boomerang, it works like the :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: boomerang and goes through the enemy through a stun that make them stop moving once they hit them.
I see. Then I think it's alright. Not a great recovery but it'll work fine.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yo- Did that random Chrom Counter killed at 98~116% against Simon's F-tilt when Chrom was only at 60~% almost mid-stage?
Wtf?
Give the thanks to Roy's genes, not Chrom.

D

Deleted member

>Simon
>when Castlevania and Simon haven't been dead for a substantial amount of time

>K. Rool
>a first party and en masse demand from across the world
I'm just saying that a fair bit of what those two had going for them is the nostalgia, or at least it seems that way. I didn't really want Simon, and that's probably because I wasn't even born when Castlevania was popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom