• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
The thing is Nintendo must approve their pick too.
Would they approve Sora if it'd make them not much actual money nor much in way of promotion as nothing KH related seems to be coming to Switch?
DQ makes a lot of sense imo.
I think Sora falls in the Cloud category where they’ll all make money off him from name value alone. KH3 isn’t coming to the Switch, but so wasn’t/isn’t (Because who knows what the **** is going on with it) the FF7 Remake. I do agree that DQ makes the most sense and their chances skyrocketed.

Nintendo’s approval is important of course, but I truly think Square is what is holding Geno back moreso than Nintendo’s seal of approval, at least base game wise. DLC wise they’re both definitely looking to make bank.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Please be Dragon Quest. Please be Dragon Quest. Please be Dragon Quest!

I think Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses) is a safe bet at this point too.
Not safe at all. It was was decided too early for Rex so it's way too early for her. There won't be any FE dlc characters.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I can see a divide between speculators between betting on Nintendo promotional characters vs. purely third-parties vs. Nintendo characters + purely third-parties in the coming months.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Oh my God, this news makes my most-wanted characters look a LOT more likely.

The World Ends With You has been a big deal for the Switch as it was for the DS. This could really bolster Neku's chances.

Travis Strikes Again has been pushed hard and was even pushed to January so it could sell better. Nintendo could want to get this going especially since Suda ALREADY helped Nintendo out LAST Smash cycle. We could really be getting Travis!

A Xenoblade rep is more possible than ever. Elma's chances weren't necessarily affected one way or the other but if the rumors of an X port are true this could be her time.

Bandana Dee is also a popular and well-known character, so I'm optimistic there too!

This has me giddy. Even if we get someone from Dragalia Lost or whatever I don't care. This really makes me optimistic about the excitement of the choices.
Is there something I'm missing? Takahashi just said about a month ago that they didn't have plans for an X port and that it would be difficult. Why are we assuming its happening?

Edit: I want an X port like most of you (Especially since my Wii U broke right before I got to play it) but I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Another question is, who in Nintendo is picking the characters and what criteria are we going for?
Do they primarily care about DLC sales and will pick characters they know will sell?
Do they primarily care about series promotion and will pick characters they or third parties want to promote?
both

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Digimon will have the first Game on a Nintendo console in 2019.
This is the first Big Digimon Game on a Nintendo console since Digimon Rumble Arena 2 on Gamecube!
That was in 2004.

If they want to make Digimon Survive sell alot, they will put Agumon in Smash.

This Plus the new Pokémon X Tamagotchi colaboration.

Think THINK
Why would Nintendo want to make Digimon sell a lot though? Chill with it, dude.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think Sora falls in the Cloud category where they’ll all make money off him from name value alone. KH3 isn’t coming to the Switch, but so wasn’t/isn’t (Because who knows what the **** is going on with it) the FF7 Remake. I do agree that DQ makes the most sense and their chances skyrocketed.

Nintendo’s approval is important of course, but I truly think Square is what is holding Geno back moreso than Nintendo’s seal of approval, at least base game wise. DLC wise they’re both definitely looking to make bank.
I think the difference is that Sora would be promoting a game coming out like a literal month after his potential announcement
Cloud didn't promote **** when he was revealed

DQ still makes the most sense imo

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking, who are character that Nintendo use in advertising that haven't shown in Smash yet?

Only one who was in that new 3DS fashion trailer who is not in Smash is...

Toon Zelda.

That's 1 out of 5 down...

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Another question is, who in Nintendo is picking the characters and what criteria are we going for?
Do they primarily care about DLC sales and will pick characters they know will sell?
Do they primarily care about series promotion and will pick characters they or third parties want to promote?

Reggie just look at what game he liked this year and go asks Sakurai if he can put character from said game. Too bad for him, the fighter list was only mobage **** since reggie travel a lot and play mobiles game with Angry Bird, Love Live members, Goku for Dokkan Battle, Merrick from FEH and Katalina because actually Reggie is a big Whale in that game, and keep sending DM to Sakurai with fan art of her.

Sakurai had no choice but to choose one, and had to take Katalina.

Totally the true story on how DLC are choosen. :4pacman:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
I still have my hopes up for a Golden Sun character from a new game. I mean, it’s trademark was renewed a year early last year as a category 9 which includes: video games, downloadable games which is VERY interesting as no GS game has been downloadable on a Nintendo system besides WiiU VC, and other programming stuff. Hopefully we get either Matthew(cause I’m assuming it would be a Dark Dawn continuation) or a new character all together. Let’s see how long until my hopes are crushed again!

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Let's cross out franchises that have already gotten newcomers so far, echoes excluded, just to narrow the list down.
Along with the ones who we can presume won't get newcomers (games made by Digital Extremes, 2K Sports/Games)
SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Sega Mega Drive Classics
DAEMON X MACHINA
Bayonetta 3
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Final Fantasy VII
Digimon Survive
Fitness Boxing
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Darius Cozmic Collection
Yo-Kai Watch 4
Pikmin 4
Gear.Club Unlimited 2
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
Team Sonic Racing
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Final Fantasy X
Shin Megami Tensei V
Saints Row: The Third

I would assume there's more we can expect to be added to this list, I feel as if there's some more 3rd party titles headed for the switch that we've yet to find out about.
Now, out of the list above, ones I feel we should actually pay attention to franchise-wise for smash??

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Sega Mega Drive Classics
DAEMON X MACHINA
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Digimon Survive
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Final Fantasy X
Shin Megami Tensei V

Again, we could expect characters from franchises that aren't on this list, or franchises that are secretly being ported/are on their way to the switch as we speak that we've yet to find out about.
Hopefully NieR for my sake, but for the rest of you? who knows. All I'll say is Sora is less of a lock now than before, but I hope he gets in for his fans' sake.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Now we're even using Nintendo for the /base game/
C'mon Zin

It's quite likely SAKURAI chose that costume, don't see why not. Also, it totally does make sense as a promotional asset. It promotes Crafted. What more do you need?
It wasn't worth it to replace Black Yoshi. Any Yoshi fan will tell you that the only replacement for any Yoshi colors is other Yoshi colors. It would've made more sense to have an extra set of 8 Crafted Yoshi alts a la Smash 4 Little Mac. THAT'S promotion.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Is there something I'm missing? Takahashi just said about a month ago that they didn't have plans for an X port and that it would be difficult. Why are we assuming its happening?
He was VERY cagey. I'm not assuming it's happening, I'm saying X is not a dead series and could have a game or games on the horizon. This could go either way for her but my others? This is hopeful.

I mean I'm not gonna freak out and overhype myself on impossibilities, but this does make my particular hopes better.

D

Deleted member

So amidst all this new DLC talk, can we all agree that Brawl's soundtrack just got dethroned? We have a ****ing Guile Stage remix, and at this point, probably the original version from Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition.

AND A MAIN THEME WITH VOCALS.

This game really is delivering on so much.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Also, PSA: Nintendo probably chose at least 5 characters because Sakurai can veto characters if they can't be made well.

From the Tweet: "I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan."

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It wasn't worth it to replace Black Yoshi. Any Yoshi fan will tell you that the only replacement for any Yoshi colors is other Yoshi colors. It would've made more sense to have an extra set of 8 Crafted Yoshi alts a la Smash 4 Little Mac. THAT'S promotion.
Any Yoshi fan is not Sakurai
I think you misunderstand

Crafted Yoshi being in at any scale promotes an upcoming Yoshi game

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
smart boys what DOES THIS MEAN
I don't know but I suspect we'll all go a bit nuts and then feel real silly later when it turns out to be a trademark formality.

Maybe this one will be different...

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
So doesn't Nintendo choosing the newcomers increase the Katalina rumor being true. I least think Minecrap Steve is a lock now.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
smart boys what DOES THIS MEAN
Square-Enix probably doesn't count that game in their annual meeting for games sales anymore, which mean they doesn't update their numbers. Which usually is a bad things when a product doesn't have it's sales listed anymore

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Hello, so the news of the characters being decided by Nintendo is making my tinfoil hat react weirdly...

I get the feeling that I might have actually hit the money

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
So amidst all this new DLC talk, can we all agree that Brawl's soundtrack just got dethroned? We have a ****ing Guile Stage remix, and at this point, probably the original version from Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition.

AND A MAIN THEME WITH VOCALS.

This game really is delivering on so much.
As a whole, this game has a better soundtrack than Brawl, I'll give you that.

But nothing will ever top Brawl's Intro theme or Brawl's Final Destination theme. Some of the best tracks ever composed imo.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Sorry but Bandana Waddle Dee was not a lock during the base game speculation. In fact Dee had much lower chances then some of the other charcters (Issac, Geno, Banjo/Kazooie, Shadow). I think Dee has a high chance for dlc considering how Issac and Shadow are deconfirmed, and Geno’s fate seems to be unclear but I wouldn’t lock him in. I would give Bandanna Waddle Dee a 75% chance to be a dlc fighter.
I meant more pre Isabelle. I really should've quoted the post which mentioned the times when K Rool and Bandana Dee were considered locks, but I accidentally deleted it and didn't want to find it again lol. I always considered him more likely than Isaac and Banjo, but yeah, that definitely wasn't the consensus. He's a lock right now though imo.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but today's theme is up - and BOY, have we hit the JACKPOT.

This song being in smash honestly makes me happier than some characters. It's one of the most iconic gaming themes ever to me and to hear such a slick new remix here elevates this entire soundtrack above even Brawl, in my opinion.

RETROSPECTIVE EDIT: I've just gone back and seen it's been posted earlier. I will leave this here though because there is never enough love for this theme.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Honestly though, Nintendo isn’t stupid. They’re gonna cater to both the hardcore and casual fanbases with this. And I think with Nintendo directly involved we’re gonna probably get a season 2 of the Fighter’s Pass.

Still hoping for dante though
dmc collection for the switch when

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but today's theme is up - and BOY, have we hit the JACKPOT.

This song being in smash honestly makes me happier than some characters. It's one of the most iconic gaming themes ever to me and to hear such a new slick remix here elevates this entire soundtrack above even Brawl, in my opinion.
I wonder if this song will go with everything in the game?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom