• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Here's an idea.

Why don't we reserve judgment on the Fighter Pass until they actually start revealing characters instead of just assuming it'll be garbage now?
NO THE TIME TO FREAK OUT IS NOW CLEARLY

EVEN IF WE KNOW LITERALLY NOTHING OTHER THAN NINTENDO IS CHOOSING

D

Deleted member

Wait a minute. The recent Kirby Twitter account tweeting out all this weird stuff that seems like it's more than just Dream Friends... Smash Ultimate's DLC NOW being complete, fighter-wise... I'm just saying.

Don't give up on Kirby just yet.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
So Sakurai couldn't add Rex as a character for DLC because of DLC being decided before the XC2 game announcement, but the lineup was just finalized?

Is this a contradiction or am I missing something?
A bunch of people interpreted Sakurai's comment during the Rex Mii outfit that DLC was somehow decided alongside the base roster.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Good lord! I leave the forums to have dinner and then Sakurai decides to tweet a DLC bombshell.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Wait, so how would there even be a new Square Enix character? Did Sakurai just deconfirm all the leaks about a second SE rep going around?
My HOPE is Nintendo wanted Geno and convinced SE due to it being DLC, so they gain more sales from the content anyway. I feel like that's something Sakurai wants to cross off his list, but who knows at this point

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The thing that bugs me a bit is that Rex and Spring Man aren’t running for DLC at the moment...

As it stands, although Nintendo is responsible for giving Sakurai a selection of chracaters to choose from, he is still the one that makes the final decision. But even then, Nintendo would’ve tried to influence Spring Man and Rex to get in since they are their biggest new stars as it stands, especially for Rex since Sakurai started to have had a good experience with the game, yet he showed Rex’s costume as if Rex wasn’t going to be available in the Fighter Pass, since Sakurai finalized all the characters just now.

Something doesn’t add up.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Actually...Geno still have a decent chance, but they actually went down a bit.
Dragon Quest's chance skyrocketed.
Sora's chance are the same as in "Meh, maybe?" since he always was the trump card of "can they do it?" kind of deal. Either discussion are smooth as hell, or they're impossible

The "Sakurai wanted him" doesn't work anymore if Nintendo are the one who supposedly gave him a line-up of characters they can male a deal with and...Let's say Geno isn't on that list because let's be honest.
You and I.
Nintendo doesn't really care that much about Geno.

I still believe Geno have a chance if Nintendo gave a selection of fighters from the ballot result, but now that it's more "business company from business company" than "Dude try to make deal with his friends" so who knows what deal they could have made with Square-Enix? Heck, Sora could get in with a deal of "Yo, put the Story so far on Switch and yo boy gets in my man." kind of weird *** deal

It's...Actually another ball to play for thirds parties.

However, it seems to increase the chance of first parties, I can feel Elma already (yes pls, the Queen need to be in) and perhaps Bandana Dee?
And Jokingly it also could raise the chance for Katalina if her appearance in Smash Bros could be a deal with CYGAMES for maybe future part of the company in the future.
SMRPG was on the SNES Mini though. They remember him, and his game. They also are aware of Geno's popularity-they are not blind they saw the Mii costume-and Sakurai DID have to accept these choices after all.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
DLC decided by Nintendo, eh? I guess that just outright confirms we’re getting a Gen 8 Pokemon and a FE Three Houses Character

Untouch

Smash Master
If Rex couldn't get in because he was too early, I still feel the FE and Pokemon rep fearmongering is totally baseless.
If anything, I feel Pokemon just got a lot LESS likely, it isn't Nintendo that deals with a lot of the marketing for the series, it's TPC.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, those Sakurai tweets have killed any hype for future newcomers I had.

First, I am embarrassed that the smash community spammed his Twitter so much that he had no choice but to tweet an statement IN ENGLISH. I feel bad for him. I used to check the replies to his tweets and all the english ones were memes and begging for characters. And most of the japanese tweets were about wishing him to take a break and take care of his health.

On a second note, I also get the impression that he feels we're all going to be disappointed by these newcomers, so he's just trying to prevent being blamed and flamed for them, diverting the responsibility to Nintendo.

And lastly, I think this basically confirms some of our biggest fears: Cult classic or fan favorite characters are not going to be in, instead we'll get characters to promote upcoming games, wether 1st or 3rd party.

I am saddened by this. Banjo & Kazooie have been my only wish since Brawl, and this was just the nail in the coffin. This was their last chance and now it's gone. Time to move on!

Noipoi

Howdy!
Wait a minute. The recent Kirby Twitter account tweeting out all this weird stuff that seems like it's more than just Dream Friends... Smash Ultimate's DLC NOW being complete, fighter-wise... I'm just saying.

Is the apple slice coming home???

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
so all the DLC chars are gonna be shilling the latest and greatest games coming out, I'm assuming. I'm sleeping on that then lmao.
hope there's a wave 2, at least.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Actually, I'm gonna be honest.

Literally who in the blue riding **** is Geno as a character. What personally does he have.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
SMRPG was on the SNES Mini though. They remember him, and his game. They also are aware of Geno's popularity-they are not blind they saw the Mii costume-and Sakurai DID have to accept these choices after all.
SMRPG was on the SNES mini.
Geno wasn't on Super Star Saga remake.

Also SECRET OF MANA was also on the Snes mini- which **** me, LEZ GO, SECRET OF MANA REP!

Chrollo.

fka president wario
If Rex couldn't get in because he was too early, I still feel the FE and Pokemon rep fearmongering is totally baseless.
If anything, I feel Pokemon just got a lot LESS likely, it isn't Nintendo that deals with a lot of the marketing for the series, it's TPC.
I don’t think FE or Pokemon will be apart of the 5 in the Fighter’s Pass, but I still expect them to be DLC outside of it

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I don't really think this is going to impact much when it comes to speculation. This might strengthen 3rd party chances though imo. Think about it, Sakurai is influential when it comes to Smash and Nintendo would generally be behind him for stuff like this but this time it wasn't just Sakurai approaching companies for rights, it was Nintendo itself which might be able to exert even more influence when it comes to negotiations.

Though this could potentially throw out the "Sakurai really likes Geno" logic as these are Nintendo's picks filtered through him instead of Sakurai's picks filtered through Nintendo

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, those Sakurai tweets have killed any hype for future newcomers I had.

First, I am embarrassed that the smash community spammed his Twitter so much that he had no choice but to tweet an statement IN ENGLISH. I feel bad for him. I used to check the replies to his tweets and all the english ones were memes and begging for characters. And most of the japanese tweets were about wishing him to take a break and take care of his health.

On a second note, I also get the impression that he feels we're all going to be disappointed by these newcomers, so he's just trying to prevent being blamed and flamed for them, diverting the responsibility to Nintendo.

And lastly, I think this basically confirms some of our biggest fears: Cult classic or fan favorite characters are not going to be in, instead we'll get characters to promote upcoming games, wether 1st or 3rd party.

I am saddened by this. Banjo & Kazooie have been my only wish since Brawl, and this was just the nail in the coffin. This was their last chance and now it's gone. Time to move on!
If he felt we'd be disappointed would he had publicly stated he approved them all in the end?

LetterO

Smash Lord
DLC decided by Nintendo, eh? I guess that just outright confirms we’re getting a Gen 8 Pokemon and a FE Three Houses Character
If Rex and Spring Man were too recent, there's no way we're getting those until a potential second DLC pass.

NineS

Smash Lord
Let's cross out franchises that have already gotten newcomers so far, echoes excluded, just to narrow the list down.
Along with the ones who we can presume won't get newcomers (games made by Digital Extremes, 2K Sports/Games)
SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Sega Mega Drive Classics
DAEMON X MACHINA
Bayonetta 3
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Final Fantasy VII
Digimon Survive
Fitness Boxing
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Darius Cozmic Collection
Yo-Kai Watch 4
Pikmin 4
Gear.Club Unlimited 2
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
Team Sonic Racing
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Final Fantasy X
Shin Megami Tensei V
Saints Row: The Third

I would assume there's more we can expect to be added to this list, I feel as if there's some more 3rd party titles headed for the switch that we've yet to find out about.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Literally who in the blue riding **** is Geno as a character. What personally does he have.
Seriously determined to complete his mission, but also a bit of a nerd.
He jokes around, he tricked Bowser into helping them, and he actually says "Yo, Smithy" at one point.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I mean, Nintendo likes Money. People like Banjo or Steve will more than likely bring them it. I see Nintendo picking whoever brings them the most money.

D

Deleted member

He wants to make people's wishes come true and keep order in place. He's also a Mario character with actual personality, which is rare.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

Actually if going by the datamine it's probably just Dream Friends. New villains are the focus on the last wave and seeing it's all from the perspective of the commander I don't think it's anything else.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
So the recent direct and this tweet killed all hype for the game? This is probably not gonna be a well received game by fans since yall are never satisfied, and will undoubtedly be overshadowed by Melee. Sucks

Chrollo.

fka president wario
If Rex and Spring Man were too recent, there's no way we're getting those until a potential second DLC pass.
I mean, like I said in another comment I don’t see them being in the fighter’s pass. But if Nintendo is calling the shots I expect them to be sold separately or in a possible 2nd one.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

Here's an idea.

Why don't we reserve judgment on the Fighter Pass until they actually start revealing characters instead of just assuming it'll be garbage now?
Case in point. Dude, we know NOTHING about the Fighters Pass, and we have NO idea what Nintendo being in charge could mean. Chill out. Actually wait until we get a reveal before you start complaining.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Here's an idea.

Many people assuming it'll be garbage, then there's me, deciding it's worth to buy it now for the very same reason.

Yes, I'm often told I'm a contrarian :drshrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom