• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graizen

Smash Champion
People think this proves more first party characters?

No man. Nintendo want money.

Bandana Dee will not sell more than Sora or Steve, im sorry.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Y'all are absolutely ****ing killing me

There is NO reason to believe we won't get a Microsoft and Squenix rep still

What about in the case of Banjo-Kazooie, who are from Microsoft nowadays?
Weird case. If they're on the N64 Mini makes total sense to me.
If not, I do expect Steve.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
If Rex was too recent for DLC, then there's no damn way we're getting a Gen 8 pokemon, Sylux (sadly), or Edelgard.

Still sticking to these predictions

-Sora or Geno
-Bandana Dee
-Tibby
-Doomguy
-Crash
-Steve or Banjo

One of these won't happen, don't know who.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm so tired of Edelgard already. Her game isn't even out and people are already rallying for her to be in Smash. She's the obvious Lucina/Azura wannabe that IS is going to shill until people LOVE them and that makes me HATE her.
Dude, I thought I was the only one.
Seriously we know jack **** about her other than she can use an axe. The support for her just seems so surface-level...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Make that 3.
I'm getting all the Dlc regardless. Even if it had a Fortnite character for all I care.

Getting characters I want for DLC is just a bonus.
A real bonus would be getting Viridi in to promote a 4th Kid Icarus game...but that’s just a pipe dream
Final Fnatasy 7 Remake is never coming out because Nomura is a complete ****ing idiot and god I hope Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't **** because of him and Metal Gear Solid 5 came out 3 years ago; also, Metal Gear Solid 4 was represented and nobody gave mind.
what
Proof this is the best timeline: Sakurai has just said "Stop asking us for **** please"
Sakurai is the best
Since all 5 characters were decided by Nintendo

Zelda newcomer confirmed
sike

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Y'all are absolutely ****ing killing me

There is NO reason to believe we won't get a Microsoft and Squenix rep still

Weird case. If they're on the N64 Mini makes total sense to me.
If not, I do expect Steve.
On the part where you said we're killing you, should I call the funeral home, just in case?

On the quoted part, I am not sure if they will be on the N64 Classic, but hey, anything is possible.

D

Deleted member

So Sakurai couldn't add Rex as a character for DLC because of DLC being decided before the XC2 game announcement, but the lineup was just finalized?

Is this a contradiction or am I missing something?
STOP RIGHT ****ING THERE, I AM ON A VERY CHILL LEVEL OF HYPE FOR MY SCARLET DANDELION AND DON'T YOU DARE ****ING MAKE ME GET MASSIVE HOPE TO SEE MY GIRL PYRA THROWING HANDS AGAINST THESE "NINTENDO GIRLS".

Anyways.

Yeah, I'm happy for everyone right now! Y'all go for it!

Noipoi

Howdy!
You'd think Nintendo would want to promote their newest series, right?
Nope! Springman's an assist and Rex is a costume. So what now?

This is really getting spicy~

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
If Nintendo is the one who organize the DLC, then what will be the next SE character?

Will it be DQ character since it has the most ties with Nintendo and is a incredibly popular in Japan?

Or will it be Sora? Where his series is popular for both east and west?

Hmm

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I love how Nintendo picking the characters somehow means that we're getting more Fire Emblem without a doubt. Wasn't Roy specifically requested by Intelligent Systems, not Nintendo themselves? And I don't know the full story behind Corrin, but I've been hearing that they were chosen by the Smash developers as well.

I also love how we're all acting like Nintendo is holding a gun to Sakurai's head because of it. He still makes it sound like he could turn a character down if he doesn't think they'll work out.

Like I see why fans of niche and irrelevant characters are worried, but I seriously doubt that means this DLC is doomed to be nothing by Pokymanz and anime swordsmen. Nintendo has lots of other franchises worth promoting. And as far as big corporations though, they're far from the most awful and corrupt out there.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Can't believe we're suddenly giving up on Verge, the Microsoft and Square Enix rep due to ONE statement
I hate to say "this"

but this

Vergeben has gotten literally everything he's called right, and has said there's a Square rep. You're all telling me that's for promotion too? Unless KH3 is coming to Switch I really don't see it. And if it's Geno well, he'd need a new game TO promote.

This doesn't suddenly mean "new FE rep" or Gen 8 pokemon. Reminder that Nintendo wants to SELL DLC, not just promote ****.

Untouch

Smash Master
Decided by Nintendo =/= Only Nintendo IPs.
There are third party series Nintendo would want to promote, and could have deals to promote.
I actually think this really helps DOOMguy for example, Nintendo wants to promote the game to attract a more hardcore audience and Bethesda has been kind to Nintendo with the Switch so far.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Sakurai said that Nintendo selected the DLC content.

Sounds like we're gettin' at least one Fire Emblem Switch Character lol (as happened with Corrin)

NineS

Smash Lord
Alright, since we're all losing our minds now, I'm going to put my thoughts down on this and try to clear some things up.

First off, please note that Sakurai is saying "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete." Not that it has been complete, or they completed months ago. But that it is now complete. As in, they've only now finally finished choosing the DLC characters and thinking of how they'll work. Not that they've finished creating them, as it hasn't been nearly long enough since the game has gone gold to finish them.
This means there's a chance that, in fact, recent characters (anyone from games after early 2016) could be part of the DLC lineup. Of course, this goes against what he said the final smash direct, but yet again, what he said in that direct goes against what Bill had said about how they were handling Smash DLC.

Second off, please note what he said. "This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo." This doesn't mean no 3rd Party characters.
It means that, we may get a lot of 1st Party characters, but some 3rd Parties as well. Nintendo chose them, but they could've chosen them for promotional reasons, trying to gather attention for franchises on the switch, or games coming to the switch soon that we've yet to hear of, 3rd and 1st party. This doesn't eliminate 3rd parties entirely, but it limits our options to "Which 3rd parties would Nintendo want in Smash? How would it help them for this 3rd party to get in smash besides making money off of DLC?" Geno's chances are hurt, because we don't know how badly Nintendo themselves want him. DQ's chances increase immensely because of this, as are Chocobo's or any FF character's. Sora's chances are, admittedly, very hurt as well. However, characters like Sora and 2B (Basically 3rd party franchises who've yet to have a game on the switch, but can get one in the nier near future) potentially have a chance if their inclusion is anything like Isabelle's; In other words, their announcement and reveal coincides with the announcement of their game arriving to the Switch at a later date or that same day. Banjo is still a potential fit, due to the potential 64 Mini.

Lastly, the end of his tweet. "I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan." The wording of this suggests that Nintendo didn't give Sakurai specific 5 fighters, but rather, a large list of characters, 1st party and potentially 3rd party, which Sakurai would have to pick 5 characters from said large list based off of if he wants to do something with given characters or can. This means Nintendo decided far more than 5 characters for smash, gave Sakurai a list and told him "Choose 5 of these you think you can make something good with," and essentially to throw the other choices away. This means Sakurai still has some level of control as to who gets to be in Smash, only it has to be off of the list of characters Nintendo gave him.

It's not the end of the world. In fact, this kind of excites me.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If Nintendo is the one who organize the DLC, then what will be the next SE character?

Will it be DQ character since it has the most ties with Nintendo?

Or will it be Sora?

That statement led me to worry about Sora, hopefully he is in...
Damn we really just binning Geno even though he has somewhat MORE of a case huh

D

Deleted member

DLC selection being made by Nintendo is VERY interesting. I'm interested to see some "non-Sakurai picks". Now it's truly a wild game.
Sakurai is doing the Yugi strat: "can't predict my choices if I didn't make them."

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The currently planned 1st party Switch titles for 2019 are:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Yoshi's Crafted World
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Gen 8
Town
Animal Crossing
Daemon x Machina

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Okay, um. I was curious to see how the Grinch Leak came and transpired, and I found where Ken was "supposed to be at" in the Leak. But... Looking back at the official Mural, I decided to go back and compare the two.

Why do these look eerily similar. Like, WAY too similar? Not to mention, we STILL haven't gotten any explanation for the Murals in the Grinch Leak and people like Spawn Wave said there was "a couple of characters missing" aside from Incineroar, or if this was just another version of the Mural and not the final one.

I don't wanna raise any hopes up, but I'm just shocked at how identical these are.

View attachment 176293
Half an hour late, but these don't look similar at all. And in fact, makes it even clearer of how not well drawn the leak was (ie: shoryuken flames in front of arm)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About Banjo-Kazooie and Geno being potential DLC characters, something tells me we should have asked Nintendo instead of Sakurai to add those in as DLC if they were to to include them. Just saying.

D

Deleted member

You'd think Nintendo would want to promote their newest series, right?
Nope! Springman's an assist and Rex is a costume. So what now?

This is really getting spicy~
Noipoi, please. I need you to stop.

zuDjmTh.png

Pyr

Smash Lord
Now that the DLC 5 are finalized, I can't wait to start leak speculation again when someone pulls a list and some well done Screenshots.

Only half sarcasm.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
I find this interesting. Who made this decision? I doubt Nintendo would forcefully tell Sakurai they want control over DLC. Nintendo traditionally respect their directors a lot, and Sakurai certainly doesn't have a history of letting Nintendo down. I almost wonder if Sakurai himself made the decision to back away from DLC some and finally get a rest. While I'm hesitant about Nintendo selecting the newcomers, I will say that it does probably increase the chance of a DLC Wave 2 a tiny bit if Sakurai isn't pouring his entire heart and soul into it. I'm still of the opinion that this one wave is almost definitely all we're getting though.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I know it's too soon to be jumping the gun over here, but this makes me way less excited for the Fighter's Pass than before. It went from a Mystery Box to getting a random assortment of McDonald's toys instead.

Now I kinda hope that a Wave 2 Pass will come, cause 'hoo boy, did the game change real fast (no pun intended).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well if you didn't like PP, I guess now yall don't have to worry about Sakuraisms.

D

Deleted member

The currently planned 1st party Switch titles for 2019 are:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Yoshi's Crafted World
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Gen 8
Town
Animal Crossing
Daemon x Machina
GIVE MY BOY E. GADD THE JUSTICE HE DESERVES.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why do we keep saying this?

Nintendo's been listening to us this gen.

To an extent. I have to imagine Sakurai is much more a champion of the fanbase, whereas Nintendo probably sees greater merit in characters that would appeal to larger groups or benefit their other titles, especially with standalone content, especially since diehard desires have already received attention.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
...what???
I mean, since Nintendo was the one who decided on the DLC as the tweet said, I had a feeling asking them directly would increase their chances more than asking Sakurai would in terms of getting them in. I could be wrong, but hey, just a guess.

Untouch

Smash Master
Steve -> Nintendo wants to promote Minecraft on the system.
Banjo and Kazooie -> Nintendo wants to promote the N64 Mini.

It can go either way here.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
My best case scenario:
-Euden
-Elma
-Edelgard
-Gen 8 Pokemon
-some fanservice like Geno/Banjo

They all make sense marketing-wise and all can be interesting choices for playable characters.
Euden has a lot to pull from (he can turn into a lot of different dragons of all elements, unlike Corrin) and comes from a very successful mobile game, and if there were negotiations for Katalina, they could've changed in favor of the new kid.
Edelgard could be an axe unit and have some gimmick unique to Three Houses.
Gen 8 Pokemon could be anything, but I hope it's another Lucario-like choice, I don't want three starters in a row
Fanservice is for other folk to be happy lol
Elma, well, I just really want Elma. And I don't want X to be skipped that hard in favor of 2, even if I prefer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom