• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I was just about to post about this but you beat me to it. DLC leaks are almost as stressful as the main roster leaks were. Speaking of which did the Grinch faker reveal himself yet?
I don't think Katalina is in the timing does not fit at all, Nintendo only started working with them last year.

I definitely think the first two characters are the Square Rep and Mineycrap Steve though.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Joker: Hey Panther, do you imagine yourself as anything flashy, or fiery when you hold your whip?

Panther: Hmmmmm…. kind of, yet having that along with a suit like this makes me feel kind of odd, why?

Skull: I think Joker's saying that your kind of that "Guy's" opposite.

Panther: Opposite? You mean from that muscle blonde over there?

Oracle: Yeah now I think about it, you are kind of like a more sinner, fiery version of Simon.

Panther: S-sinner?! Y'know I always been a good girl in terms of any terrible things from my choices!!

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Yet it only has truly gotten "popular" here in the States and probably is gonna get steam-rolled by being in the only category at The Game Awards for "Best RPG". There's a difference between "Non-Smash Popularity" and "Smash Popularity".
This is the franchise that influenced pokemon, final fantasy, and every other JRPG

Smash popularity or not this series already has what it takes to be considered for smash, not to mention even sakurai was influenced by it. Who do you think Gooey was even based off of. Lets not forget Loto/Erdrick even made a cameo in Zelda II.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If the Square Rep is revealed at the game awards it will be Sora. DQ isn't big outside of Japan so a DQ rep wouldn't generate much reaction there. Sora would.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Something like 30pages back I saw someone say something about me saying Lloyd as DLC.

Just to be clear all I did was mention that someone who claimed to have inside info told me "lloyd" another person told me "a resident evil character" both as DLC but neither of these people had any credentials or reasons to be believed so I was just stating that I had heard those as RUMORS. I thought I was pretty clear in the video thats all it was but I do not want to spread false info so that was just stuff I heard but it was what ANYONE could tell you, again these people had no credentials or reasons to be trusted.

Both Lloyd and a resident evil character I think have decent chances but that is a rumor at best and more likely nothing to add in favor of their chances.

The only DLC character I heard from anyone with some good credentials and credibility is Banjo, but even that source got fooled by the Grinch leak so decide for yourself if you want to give what they are saying any weight at all.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Most realistic Dragon Quest character is Erdrick, yes, since Japan loves DQ3 so much. The west's favorite game is definitely 8, and Yangus is the best pick from it. He's got his own spin off series and all. Would help to sell the series to outsiders a lot more than a mute protagonist or Goomba Slime, that's for sure.

Have a needlessly long moveset for Yangus.

D

Deleted member

Bro, Dragon Quest is mad popular over in Japan AND the States.
TL;DW, it sold 2mil right out the gate.

Plus, in the VGAs, where there will be more of an emphasis on general gaming, it'd make way more sense to appeal to non-smash popularity.
You know what else "is mad popular over in Japan AND the States"?

Grand Theft Auto, Okami, Phoenix Wright, Kingdom Hearts, Marvel VS. Capcom, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, hell, even DOOM to an extent, and various other 3rd parties I can list. You'd be very surprised at how many indie franchises aside from Undertale are popular both Japan AND the States.

There are so many abundant franchises nowadays, you practically have to fight to wry for attention, and Dragon Quest is exactly that here in the Americas. It's practically how Japan reacted to GTAV. Trust me, I've seen this with so many franchises over the years, it's grown numb. However, will this be in the VGAs? In "Best RPG", probably. Who knows, the VGAs nominate crazy **** anyways.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Something like 30pages back I saw someone say something about me saying Lloyd as DLC.

Just to be clear all I did was mention that someone who claimed to have inside info told me "lloyd" another person told me "a resident evil character" both as DLC but neither of these people had any credentials or reasons to be believed so I was just stating that I had heard those as RUMORS. I thought I was pretty clear in the video thats all it was but I do not want to spread false info so that was just stuff I heard but it was what ANYONE could tell you, again these people had no credentials or reasons to be trusted.

Both Lloyd and a resident evil character I think have decent chances but that is a rumor at best and more likely nothing to add in favor of their chances.

The only DLC character I heard from anyone with some good credentials and credibility is Banjo, but even that source got fooled by the Grinch leak so decide for yourself if you want to give what they are saying any weight at all.
As much as I would like a Resident Evil character in Smash, I'm not so sure considering that firearms (Which don't fit in Smash's aspects) are a huge part when talking about a moveset of those characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Most realistic Dragon Quest character is Erdrick, yes, since Japan loves DQ3 so much. The west's favorite game is definitely 8, and Yangus is the best pick from it. He's got his own spin off series and all. Would help to sell the series to outsiders a lot more than a mute protagonist or Goomba Slime, that's for sure.

Have a needlessly long moveset for Yangus.
Lol, I was joking, I can't believe this actually exists.

Anyway, yeah. If, and this is a very big if here, DQ gets a rep.

It's going to be Erdrick, with a possible Eight echo.

D

Deleted member

You know what else "is mad popular over in Japan AND the States"?

Grand Theft Auto, Okami, Phoenix Wright, Kingdom Hearts, Marvel VS. Capcom, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, hell, even DOOM to an extent, and various other 3rd parties I can list. You'd be very surprised at how many indie franchises aside from Undertale are popular both Japan AND the States.

There are so many abundant franchises nowadays, you practically have to fight to wry for attention, and Dragon Quest is exactly that here in the Americas. It's practically how Japan reacted to GTAV. Trust me, I've seen this with so many franchises over the years, it's grown numb. However, will this be in the VGAs? In "Best RPG", probably. Who knows, the VGAs nominate crazy **** anyways.
GTA's popular in Japan?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Is there any way we can get Wart as a Bowser Echo? But instead of spitting fire he spits bubbles. Come on Sakurai

D

Deleted member

This is the franchise that influenced pokemon, final fantasy, and every other JRPG

Smash popularity or not this series already has what it takes to be considered for smash, not to mention even sakurai was influenced by it. Who do you think Gooey was even based off of. Lets not forget Loto/Erdrick even made a cameo in Zelda II.
You know what influenced Undertale? Touhou Project and EarthBound.
You know what influenced Assassin's Creed? Metal Gear Solid.
You know what influenced PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale? Money. ...And Smash, I guess.

A lot of franchises have been influenced and a lot of franchises have what it takes to be considered for Smash. I'm not trying to **** on Dragon Quest, but it's pretty much undeniable that DQ11's success here in America is similar to the exact same event that GTAV did for the franchise in Japan.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm gonna assume you have to do that without Spirits...

But I can see Incineroar doing that...

But what's Akuma pose about?
My assumption is "Beat Ryu/Ken as Yoshi in a Stamina Match on Suzaku Castle" or something.

As something to make it more difficult, maybe you have to beat both Ryu and Ken in a Team Smash where you are Yoshi on your own.
EDIT: Also, Ryu/Ken probably have to be above a certain level.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Considering the main Heroes are literally never used in crossovers, I sincerely doubt Square would start now with Smash.
I honestly think that's a good reason for it to be Erdrick. It hasn't really happened before, so it'd make the occasion extra special.

I said it before, but each new franchise that gets added into Smash is always represented with a protagonist first. I don't recall a single time where a new series was introduced into Smash with a generic enemy or side-character. Not saying that convention couldn't be broken, but I don't see a good reason to not pick Erdrick to rep the franchise. If not him, the only other ones that make sense are Eight or the Luminary from 11.

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think that's a good reason for it to be Erdrick. It hasn't really happened before, so it'd make the occasion extra special.

I said it before, but each new franchise that gets added into Smash is always represented with a protagonist first. I don't recall a single time where a new series was introduced into Smash with a generic enemy or side-character. Not saying that convention couldn't be broken, but I don't see a good reason to not pick Erdrick to rep the franchise. If not him, the only other ones that make sense are Eight or the Luminary from 11.
Not that it would ever happen anyway, but there's zero chance Sans wouldn't be the Undertale rep if the choice was between Frisk and him.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I'm quoting this so that you see it.

What do you have to say about these points?
See, that’s the thing. While Disney might defer to Square in certain related decisions, Square still does not own the character in any way, shape, or form. If Sora gets in(and I still personally stand by my earlier statements about their growing animosity, but disregarding those for now), it’s more likely to be without Square’s direct involvement, just Sakurai, Nomura, and Disney, unless Disney wants to cut Square into the profits, which personally doesn’t sound likely.

When it comes to marketing, however, things are less straightforward than it seems. Like another user did earlier, I’ll compare him to Ryu and Cloud.

Ryu, when added to the game, was most recently known for game that’s a PS4 console exclusive.

Cloud, when added to the game, was most recently known for a “First on PS4” game announcement that won’t actually be out for years.

Sora, if announced at the Game Awards, will be most recently known for a multiplatform game releasing the next month that won’t actually be coming to the Switch, and going by FFXV, wouldn’t actually be able to run on the system.

That presents a problem. There’s a sizable chance that a good few people who would have otherwise bought KH3 on release would wait for a hypothetical Switch version that “must” be happening because Sora’s in Smash. Hell, Cloud’s old game was just announced for Switch, so some sort of remaster must be in the pipeline, right? Right? Even if the system can’t run the third game and would therefore have no conclusion?

Yeah... personally, I think that they might want to save Sora for after KH3 has been out for a few months and has soaked up all PS4/X1 sales that it possibly can. Suddenly introducing the Switch into things before launch when exclusivity isn’t remotely a factor would just end up confusing potential buyers.

As for the “Square doesn’t care about Geno” post, could you provide a source?

D

Deleted member

D

Deleted member

Oh, now that us West Coast people can experience it...

WE'RE ONE MONTH AWAY FROM SMASH ULTIMATE!

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
slime could wear hats, helmets, or wigs of most of the DQ hero's as alts like the pokemon do if thats an option

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

I can see Lloyd being playable in the roster, but Leon Kennedy just doesn't do it for me. Hell, as far as Namco reps go, I'm vying for KOS-MOS, and Dante is "The Cooler Leon" to me, so both seem like far more reasonable characters to include in Smash's roster (mainly the Dante and Leon comparison). In regards to Banjo, I can see the Minecraft content that Vergeben spoke of to be a Mii Fighter outfit of sorts that may or may not be included as a bonus in the Fighter's Pack.

It would be something extra for Banjo if we get the bear & bird duo at all, and it would still confirm the months-long "Minecraft content" we hear through the grape vines constantly. I'm not betting on anything particularly huge though. For all we know, the 5 characters could all be subpar roster picks, or they could be amazing, or somewhere in between. My only concern is what becomes of Ultimate when the Fighter's Pack is officially released. Obvious answer is "support stops. Done", but if the DLC makes bank, surely that should provide incentive for at least one more Wave of DLC, right?

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
When people say that the profits would be more split for Sora’s inclusion in smash since Sora is under SE and Disney, I don’t think people understand how much money Sora would actually make for Disney, Nintendo and SE. Kingdom hearts is very well known in the west AND in japan, that alone makes Sora more profitable in a geological sense. The detail people I think overlook is Nintendo could be directly advertising Kingdom hearts as a series which in the end would give Disney and SE a **** ton of money and more exposure to KH3. Obviously, there’s the argument that Disney “always needs the better deal” in an agreement for any Disney asset that a company might want to use, but here’s the thing, if Disney sees the $$$ in an opportunity, they are gonna take it. Why do you think they put Thanos in fortnite? They obviously saw an opportunity to give their new movie a great amount of exposure to mainly a large younger audience in a F2P game. People never thought Thanos would appear in fortnite lmao, but Disney made a deal because of the possible opportunity at hand, aka they honestly don’t give a flying ****, they just want a good net profit.

Now I’m not saying that Sora is gonna be in the game, but I don’t really understand the arguments with Disney being against it or wanting something unrealistic, that’s not how they work. Especially since Sora himself (without goofy, Donald, etc) would make Disney profit with little investment since Nintendo would most likely do a majority of the developing.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Oki doki, this is for Zinith

I guess you can picture what this is (What can I say except you're welcome!)
I hope the Smash team sees this too.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone throwing a tournament for posters in this thread when the game drops? It’d be a good send-off for pre release speculation, accompanied by the fact I know a handful of people won’t be around here anymore after the 7th.

...really hoping I’d get a chance to face Zinith. All that passion has to translate in-game somehow, right?

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone throwing a tournament for posters in this thread when the game drops? It’d be a good send-off for pre release speculation, accompanied by the fact I know a handful of people won’t be around here anymore after the 7th.

...really hoping I’d get a chance to face Zinith. All that passion has to translate in-game somehow, right?
I'd love to be a part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom