• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think I've ever done anything in Stadium Mode that wasn't with the sole goal of unlocking something.
Honestly, I can't remember the last time I've used a singleplayer gamemode outside of SSE.

Well, maybe doing that stupid box breaking minigame for the customs...

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Lack of Xenoblade X music miiiiiight be because of the composer. "Outside" (as in, not in the game industry) artists like Sawano tend to be more protective of their music rights when used on projects like this

Last edited:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Literally all I was trying to do was hear if Young Link was using his old OoT/Melee voice clips or if they brought Fujiko Takimoto in to record new ones, but people just won't stop talking over all the gameplay, lol.
I'm like 99% sure they just reused his Melee voice clips. They sound exactly the same.

Remember when Heihachi,Lloyd,Dante,and Agnes were all at point the most likely newcomer? Good times.
>Agnes
When? Are you talking about the horribly drawn leak? Did people actually believe that?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's so wholesome to look at him so happy. only to then beat him up for items and food.

When is Sandbag going to become a character? He's waited long enough!
I wonder if hardcore fan reaction would be any different if, instead of Piranha Plant, we got Sandbag as the WTF early adopter bonus character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, I can't remember the last time I've used a singleplayer gamemode outside of SSE.

Well, maybe doing that stupid box breaking minigame for the customs...
Usually by the time I'm done running through classic and all-star for all the possible trophies (and gd customs) I'm fully spent on the mode and have no desire to play it for fun. Especially when it's as clunky as 4's classic mode. Not sure what we'll get by beating classic this time, but it does seem closer to Melee's, which I remember replaying a bunch just for kicks. Though now there are like triple the characters... so we'll see...

However, the mode I can probably play blindfolded from muscle memory while humming the muted bgm is Coin Launcher from Brawl. Two years of my life was spent in there doing nothing but trying to get from 699 stickers to the full 700 stickers. Two years. On one sticker. It took me less time breeding a shiny Charmander. ;_;

Thank god Smash is the only series that turns me into a completionist.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Unpopular Opinion: I like Simon more than Richter due to his design being more mature and detailed in comparison.
Westerners like Simon more in general, whereas Japan prefers Richter due to their preference for younger protagonists. Matured, middle-aged men don't suit their taste. In fact, this is why Raiden was created for MGS2 in the first place. They complained that Snake is too old for their liking.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, of course they do. :)

I just didn't think Nintendo really had many other games planned...
Nintendo always have games planned, they like to keep secretes
I've slowly come to realize that :ulttoonlink: is probably going to be the least played character because of :ultyounglink:

It'd be a rare sight to see one who'd prefer to play as Toon over Young.
You say that, but Toon Link popped up several times the past few days and I've seen one match with Young Link.
What he said...but yeah :ultlink: followed by :ulttoonlink: (sometimes the other way)...and then :ultyounglink:
So, what did I miss?
I was busy making this:

Spirits mode is looking fantastic right now.

low tier ****post
Petey rules all

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Is Sora still being hinted at by SW? :o
I mean, nothing's changed. His previous hints still stand, and the VGAs only creep closer day by day.

Man, the 6th of December can't come soon enough. What will likely be the first DLC reveal and the ability to play Smash Ultimate that same night. I honestly can't wait.

Last edited:

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
I can't believe some people are still moaning about not getting characters in base

Pretty much everyone wanted Ridley and King K Rool, and we had everyone from previous games get in

It can't get much better than this

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I can't believe some people are still moaning about not getting characters in base

Pretty much everyone wanted Ridley and King K Rool, and we had everyone from previous games get in

Well you can't please everyone, that's pretty much impossible.

You also can't speak for everyone either in that regard, I'm grateful for those two being included but I'm not really into using heavyweight characters aside from Bowser.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

As the poster child for wanting an unrealistic character, I can vouch for this :yoshi:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Can I see Spawnwave's previous hints again? I want to make sure people aren't over-hyping this, because I feel that's exactly what is happening.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Spawn Wave's Sora hint is tenuous, but he's done nothing to disavow the ensuing reaction. So I figure he meant it.

However I'm also keeping in mind how Verg said there are many red herrings planted for who the SE character could be. Spawn Wave seems to have a good track record, but you never know.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm thinking what's going on is Spawnwave like Verge knows the Square Enix character is 1st DLC and he's just sort of predicting or making his own assumption it's Sora. Because that's what most people would probably think anyways.

Shroob

Sup?
Spawn Wave's Sora hint is tenuous, but he's done nothing to disavow the ensuing reaction. So I figure he meant it.

However I'm also keeping in mind how Verg said there are many red herrings planted for who the SE character could be. Spawn Wave seems to have a good track record, but you never know.
This, really.

I feel strongly that the VGAs will give us our first dlc reveal, it makes a lot of sense to drop the first reveal the literal day before the game comes out to sucker in as many people to buy the pass, but as to WHO the SE character will be, it's still up in the air.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Can I see Spawnwave's previous hints again? I want to make sure people aren't over-hyping this, because I feel that's exactly what is happening.
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.48.21 PM.png

This is in response to the missing character on the banner from the Grinch "leak," as supposedly there was one other character missing besides Incineroar.
There is also the three smash rumor/ Smash direct video where in one he hint at Sora at the game awards. And in the others two for a reveal during the game awards, saying that it should be someone HUUUGE

And then, there's the Spawncast where he just awkwardly say "Sora is the big one" before shifting into ****ting on Minecraft and Banjo
I'm pretty sure Nekoo Nekoo or @TotsBS can provide the videos that these statements come from because they know much more about him than I do.

There is more than enough reason to believe that Spawn Wave is hinting that Sora will be revealed at the VGAs.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Bets are placed XD

Oh! Not because he's more cartoonish (although that adds to it). In short, beside Frogger he's the oldest Konami IP (May 1986), been their mascot for a big chunk of their history, has more games than any of their IPs despite his last being in 2011 (Castlevania just cought up for that) (Technically his last was in 2017 on SFC mini, though that was just a port). Has one of the greatest music tracks in gaming (that's a game high point, not because I'm a fan).

Goemon games are a parody based on a real Japanese folk legend that goes by the name Ishikawa Goemon, a charitable theif/ninja (just like Robin Hood) lived in the 1500's (Edo era). He's also infamous for his end (I'll keep that for later if you're interested).

Goemon games are called The Mystical Ninja in the west, Ganbare Goemon in Japan (means, keep going Goemon or Never give up Goemon). A bizzare comical master platformer (if it didn't had the better camera I'd definitely say it surpasses Mario 64). Out of his 34+ games (not counting ports, that would be 54), unfortunately only 5 made it to the west (3 of were one of the greatest, establishing quite a fanbase), this was unfortunately due the Konami's conviction that many of the jokes wouldn't be understood by the west.

A platformer were you play using instant change between the 4 ninja crew. Goemon, the hot blooded ninja. Ebisumaru, Goemon's first friend the wacky fat ninja. Sasuke, the mechanical wooden doll ninja. Yae, the agent spy ninja. They're all based on folk names btw (except Yae, I'm not sure). I can of course delve into their excellent moves set that fit Smash perfectly, but I'll stop for the sake of not making this a text wall. (I'll say though, one of Goemon's moves is turning into a super sayian).

This is an epic music no denying, and although it's been used as an intro, outro and for FE stages. I honestly do think that epic music are a bit too intense for Smash. Or maybe because it's not my main cup of tea. I'd like to link some Mystical Ninja music, but thought it might ruin your epic mood.
Definitely friend, can't wait to find out who is correct in the upcoming DLC's. :)
Hmmm quite fascinating, I had no idea that Goemon had so much history with Konami. I was slightly aware of the folklore Goemon Ishikawa as he was a playable character in Samurai Warriors. Based on all you explained I can see why you would want Goemon in Smash bros, I definitely see him representing Konami very well. I would definitely support him if they started adding a 3rd representative for 3rd parties
. Does he have a high popularity in the West as well or is it mostly in the East?
Yes Jeremy Soule's music tends to be more epic like that of Lord of the RIngs, in fact so people have even made it into playlists. There's even playlists of Elder Scrolls music that help people sleep, but yeah it might not fit in Smash Bros. I personally would love this track to make it in. Its also known as Ryu Hayabusa's theme. Which is another huge reason I want Ryu Hayabusa in Smash Bros. Ninja Gaiden just has some incredible music.
Also I havent heard the song your speaking of, please send me the link I would love to hear it.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I mean, nothing's changed. His previous hints still stand, and the VGAs only creep closer day by day.

Man, the 6th of December can't come soon enough. What will likely be the first DLC reveal and the ability to play Smash Ultimate that same night. I honestly can't wait.
Apparently they might be premiering the first gameplay of Metroid Prime 4 there as well. It would make sense last year had the Bayonetta 3 announcement and Zelda dlc, this year will have Metroid and Smash dlc.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm thinking what's going on is Spawnwave like Verge knows the Square Enix character is 1st DLC and he's just sort of predicting or making his own assumption it's Sora. Because that's what most people would probably think anyways.
I highly doubt Spawn Wave would risk his track record by making a guess like that. If he weren't confident in who it was he would say it was an SE character and not Sora specifically.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've slowly come to realize that :ulttoonlink: is probably going to be the least played character because of :ultyounglink:

It'd be a rare sight to see one who'd prefer to play as Toon over Young.
Eh maybe among Zelda fans since most of them are diehard OoT/MM fans, competetively, if Toon Link ends up being the fastest and most agile of the three Links (Which he most probably will be of the three Links since he's the shortest and lightest one) I can definitely see him being the most favoured Link again as he was in the past.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think insiders in Spawn Wave or Vergeben's position know the perils of passing guesses off as predictions. That's just ammunition for being discredited perennially. Look at Emily. So I would imagine he did genuinely hear it would be Sora. Now whether that info is true remains to be seen.

NineS

Smash Lord
As the poster child for wanting an unrealistic character, I can vouch for this :yoshi:
As one of the people who rooted for Ridley and now only wants 2B, who is semi-unrealistic, I can also vouch.

You know, that's true.

Spawn Wave have a good track record, but Vergeben himself has admitted he doesn't know for sure who the leaked Square Rep is.

How do we know for sure Spawn Wave received the real leaked Squenix Character? How confident is he to put this out there, and how can we ensure he/his source didn't receive the red herring?

It'd be helpful if Vergeben could at least narrow the list down.

I'm not saying Spawn Wave himself is wrong, but there's the possibility of both he and his source having been duped, and he may have had a little too much confidence in it. I partially hope I eat my words, though.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm pretty sure Nekoo Nekoo or @TotsBS can provide the videos that these statements come from because they know much more about him than I do.

There is more than enough reason to believe that Spawn Wave is hinting that Sora will be revealed at the VGAs.
''Huh, would people be excited for that?" is such a dumb and strange thing to say. He's not a moron. He knows people would be excited for that.

Also why play coy there, but be more upfront later?

Shroob

Sup?
''Huh, would people be excited for that?" is such a dumb and strange thing to say. He's not a moron. He knows people would be excited for that.

Also why play coy there, but be more upfront later?
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. You can feel the sarcasm pouring out of the comment.

NineS

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Gaming Intel, says
Our source went on to state “I am 100% confident about another direct in November. I am NOT 100% confident on the date of November 8th. Given the recent YouTube leak, it does seem feasible that a November 8th Nintendo direct could take place, but I am not 100% sure”.

It is important to note this is a leak and isn’t officially confirmed, although we hold a lot of confidence in this particular source.
Hoping they're right, but it seems pretty soon.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. You can feel the sarcasm pouring out of the comment.
Nah. You really can't, because it's text and it's up to many interpretations.

Weird how text works like that, huh?

See? There. I could be being sarcastic. I could be being dead serious. From person to person? That's gonna read differently. You however know it's sarcasm because it was directly to you.

And I suppose now people are gonna know it is because I just explained it.

But unexplained? Do you see my point?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, he seems pretty confident it's Sora, but Nonspecificguy went on that pretty convincing rant about why that's never gonna happen...

Hmmmm...

Well, it doesn't concern me. If SW's right, I get Sora and if he's wrong, I get one of my other wanted SE characters, Neku, 2B, Lara Croft, Erdrick, Chrono, or hell maybe even Tiz.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So people have been disappointed by assist trophies being revealed. Me? I'm upset we didn't get Rufus as an AT who just goes after the blondes and screams his head off about thinking they're Ken.

Get you head back in the game, Sakurai.

Shroob

Sup?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Gaming Intel, says

Hoping they're right, but it seems pretty soon.
Weird, there was musings of a Direct for the 8th.

But...WHAT exactly is it going to be for?.... If it's for a Game-specific Direct, theoretically, we should hear about it today, and it's general, I guess we'll hear it on the 7th....?

Why would we get another General one though?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Well, he seems pretty confident it's Sora, but Nonspecificguy went on that pretty convincing rant about why that's never gonna happen...

Hmmmm...

Well, it doesn't concern me. If SW's right, I get Sora and if he's wrong, I get one of my other wanted SE characters, Neku, 2B, Lara Croft, Erdrick, Chrono, or hell maybe even Tiz.
Am I the only one that thinks that Agnes (or any Bravely Default character) could end up being the Square rep? I know it's not the most well-known or popular franchises, but it's one of the few ongoing Square series with major ties to Nintendo.

Shroob

Sup?
Am I the only one that thinks that Agnes (or any Bravely Default character) could end up being the Square rep? I know it's not the most well-known or popular franchises, but it's one of the few ongoing Square series with major ties to Nintendo.
At this point, it could be anyone.

Vergeben says he has 7 names, so it could be any of those 7.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Huh. Incineroar has a very... interesting...name if you use the website translator from Korean to English.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Nah, I used to think that she had a solid chance of being DLC before Cloud was revealed during the 4 DLC days.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
With PP in Slime is now a possibility now. People's moveset ideas for Slime were similar to PP with him taking moves from all types of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom