• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
yeh. some are good changes, other seems like there's less.

hey just wondering, is your avatar from something? like it
It's Corrin holding Kana, her son. Both are from Fire Emblem Fates.
Found it one day while browsing through some FE art.
Plus I have a thing for dragon/dragon-like characters.

kylexv

Smash Master
Young Link all around feels underdeveloped. It feels like they didn’t really care about him and just put him in for the Everyone is Here
Not many people were really asking Young Link to return (a select few were, but that's beside the point), while pretty much all of the other cut veterans at least had a decent amount of outcry and ballot results. I'm thinking Sakurai saw Snake, Wolf, and Ice Climbers place really high on the ballot, and then decided "yeah, how about we bring everyone back this time around?" And because of that, Young Link was probably included just for the sake of saying every veteran is back.

At least Sakurai decided to make him faithful to Melee for people who felt alienated by Link's new moveset.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
We are still using hat goomba as an insult in a universe where "generic stage hazard plant" got in...
Yeh mate.
In my opinion, we live in a universe that hat goomba is such a hat goomba a literal plant goomba beat him out.

But I feel like Sakurai feels similar on the character due to its lack of appearance and involvement in the smash series.

That's just my stance.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
So what alternate color/costume are you guys most excited for? Mine is Piranha Plant's white alt (pictured here).
hi! thanks for the image! it looks like you might still have that pesky system32 folder installed, you should take care of that real quick

Last edited:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Can I have some specific points for this? Because I believe you I just want some specific reasoning.
His alt costumes seem pretty lazy, his Final Smash is just copy pasted without anything special added to it, and it seems like they just ripped him from Melee. They didn’t even give him the Mirror Shield or MM equipment at all, even though MM 3D was his most recent game.

kylexv

Smash Master
You'd think this argument would die with :ultpiranha:.
But no. It doesn't.
And Piranha Plant doesn't even wear a hat.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
The razor sword and MM mirror shield look great, so it's a shame Y Link's stuck with his dinky Korkiri sword and Deku shield

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Young Link is likely meant to be a replacement for OG Link as his moveset has been changed to the point where it's different to play as him now. Or I'm sure that's the justification behind the lack of alterations.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I dunno why they kept using OoT YLink when the MM YLink is way cooler.

Shoutouts to Hyrule Warriors for making YLink my favorite incarnation of Link.
TBH even in Smash he's a mix of OoT and MM. He uses Deku Shield, Kokiri Sword (he uses it in MM too but the Smash version is from OoT) and boomerang from OoT. He uses the hookshot which only MM Link used, and the Bow and arrows again are exclusive to MM Link.

Hyrule Warriors though is basically 99% MM, and I ****in LOVE that version of him.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Young Link is likely meant to be a replacement for OG Link as his moveset has been changed to the point where it's different to play as him now. Or I'm sure that's the justification behind the lack of alterations.
Even so, they shoulda used MM YLink who actually could do adult link stuff.

Like shoot arrows.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
We are still using hat goomba as an insult in a universe where "generic stage hazard plant" got in...
When I went onto the Smash website and saw Piranha Plant there (I hadn't seen the actual direct at this point), it reminded me of the that "leak" that had World 1-1 Goomba and Fortnite guy on the website.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
I don’t mind the moveset at all, it’s just the aesthetics

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not many people were really asking Young Link to return (a select few were, but that's beside the point), while pretty much all of the other cut veterans at least had a decent amount of outcry and ballot results. I'm thinking Sakurai saw Snake, Wolf, and Ice Climbers place really high on the ballot, and then decided "yeah, how about we bring everyone back this time around?" And because of that, Young Link was probably included just for the sake of saying every veteran is back.

At least Sakurai decided to make him faithful to Melee for people who felt alienated by Link's new moveset.
Wolf seems like he was really changed up well. Young link on the other hand feels a little lackluster. But that might be wrong cuz there hasnt been good footage of what he can do yet anyway..

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Not gonna lie, I mostly wanted YLink's FS to be Fierce Deity so I can hear Nobuyuki Hiyama's voice again. He was hands down the best Link VA.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
You'd think this argument would die with :ultpiranha:.
But no. It doesn't.
And Piranha Plant doesn't even wear a hat.
Nah its a plant goomba.

You ever see that episode of Simpsons when Homer recalls his childhood and he cant get into the tree house because they can only have one Homer.

Same logic you can only have one Goomba.

But realistically. What are the chances of DLC characters being different variations of Goomba when you already have a plant goomba as DLC?

I doubt our smash DLC will be plant goomba, mask gomba, cactus goomba, shell goomba and hat goomba.

D

Deleted member

Really? That's pretty similar to mine. I'll be adding pichu to that tho :)
(and isabelle will be my main, most likely)
I'm really tempted to play Pichu too. I played him all the time as a kid on Melee, so I'll at least try him out on Ultimate for nostalgia. Mewtwo will probably remain my favorite Smash Pokemon, though. I'll also play Mario again thanks to the cool new costumes and animations.

Other characters I'll probably add to my secondaries and for fun rotations are Dark Samus, Ganondorf, Richter, and maaaaaybe DK. Honestly, when I'm not playing to improve seriously, I'll be a random button main. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
TBH even in Smash he's a mix of OoT and MM. He uses Deku Shield, Kokiri Sword (he uses it in MM too but the Smash version is from OoT) and boomerang from OoT. He uses the hookshot which only MM Link used, and the Bow and arrows again are exclusive to MM Link.

Hyrule Warriors though is basically 99% MM, and I ****in LOVE that version of him.
The Hookshot in MM is different from the one in OOT. Same with the Bow design. He was always OOT-based from the start.

The MM stuff never actually existed for Yink in Smash, it's just people using that as a justification for why he can use Adult Link stuff.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm really tempted to play Pichu too. I played him all the time as a kid on Melee, so I'll at least try him out on Ultimate for nostalgia. Mewtwo will probably remain my favorite Smash Pokemon, though. I'll also play Mario again thanks to the cool new costumes and animations.

Other characters I'll probably add to my secondaries and for fun rotations are Dark Samus, Ganondorf, Richter, and maaaaaybe DK. Honestly, when I'm not playing to improve seriously, I'll be a random button main. :p
We have similar tastes apart from the heavies. I tend not play them, or like them. Charizard is the exception but that's because I wanna use pokemon trainer :)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Nah, but those are actions MM Link could do, not actual references to MM
The bow and arrow is OoT's, the hookshot is OoT's too.
I don't see those as references to MM unless Melee Adult Link using the boomerang is a reference to... I dunno, a Link to the past.
Link.png

This is a pretty comprehensive list of what I'm talking about

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Ideal Young Link moveset would be him using the three transformation masks, but that would be such an effort to develop that there's zero chance of it ever happening. Plus it'd mean we'd have six Links, putting Marth and Samus' efforts to shame.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'm like 75% sure the "hat goomba" thing is a troll to get a rise out of Bandandee's fans. It's probably best to ignore it.

To give a more serious thought, I still don't particularly like the idea Bandandee in Smash. I think from a series importance standpoint, supporters have more than justified it. I also can appreciate wanting him to complete the 4 (like how if we ever get Dixie, I'll want Kiddy). I just can't bring myself to get excited about him because Kirby feels real well represented to me as is. I'd rather a series that feels underserved or completely unrepresented get a character.

Bandandee wouldn't upset me though. I've been convinced he's "deserving" enough.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Nah, but those are actions MM Link could do, not actual references to MM
The bow and arrow is OoT's, the hookshot is OoT's too.
I don't see those as references to MM unless Melee Adult Link using the boomerang is a reference to... I dunno, a Link to the past.
View attachment 175741
This is a pretty comprehensive list of what I'm talking about
What characters represent which LoZ games?

Yink - OoT
Link - BotW

Do you have a list for the rest?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Well, not all, of course, but for some, yes.
Very nice to see em all. kudos to those that took the time.

I wish Isabelle would have alt dresses, and not just color palettes. I'll look at if there's different details on them when i can tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom