• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Nice. the plant will definitely be in my secondary team.. but there's so many characters I want to play :p
Also, im guessing you mean equipment done right, which i agree with :)
I still think customs could be cool, but they were pretty unbalanced last time.

At least I'd like for palutena to have her sonic speed dash somehow.
Yeah, I meant gear lol. I have a habit of referring to both custom moves and gear as just "customs".

I'm in the same boat with characters, there's too many for me settle on just a few, ha ha. For ones I wanna play seriously, though, I'll probably be Inkling-Isabelle or Inkling-K. Rool before Piranha Plant comes out. After that, I'll probably be Inkling-Piranha Plant.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
If there's one character I absolutely cannot see EVER making it into Smash, it would have to be Doomguy. Unlike Snake and Bayonetta, toning down the violence and brutality of his weapons would utterly ruin the character. At that point, it would no longer even be Doomguy.
I mean we have characters like Ridley, Snake and Bayonetta in the roster.
And the first literally drags people across the ground and impales people in his moveset.
If you just take out the blood, you can make Doomguy work.
Whether or not it'll happen is a different matter.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Dunno if anyone pointed this out, but Corrin specifically has a new victory theme. Nobody else in the FE cast has it.

Seems like they recycled a lot less than I thought. I'm happy.
I wonder if that means the Awakening characters will get their own theme too?

I mean there's ****ing three of them now. Why not.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, I meant gear lol. I have a habit of referring to both custom moves and gear as just "customs".

I'm in the same boat with characters, there's too many for me settle on just a few, ha ha. For ones I wanna play seriously, though, I'll probably be Inkling-Isabelle or Inkling-K. Rool before Piranha Plant comes out. After that, I'll probably be Inkling-Piranha Plant.
Really? That's pretty similar to mine. I'll be adding pichu to that tho :)
(and isabelle will be my main, most likely)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If there's one character I absolutely cannot see EVER making it into Smash, it would have to be Doomguy. Unlike Snake and Bayonetta, toning down the violence and brutality of his weapons would utterly ruin the character. At that point, it would no longer even be Doomguy.
Yeah, even Duke Nukem is likelier, since at least he has a history of being in occasional family-friendly games and has plenty of backsass. Doomguy would be like giving him the SNES Mortal Kombat 1 treatment (unless they compensate with ridiculously brutal looking throws, or something).

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Interesting point for Sora, but remember when Masked Man said that he knew some of the Square Enix characters (For reference, Sora and a Geno/Mallow Duo) in the Pre-E3 imgur leak wouldn't be in the game? This one (I've linked a post that has it quoted as Masked Man deleted his ResetEra account).

Well, Geno/Mallow aren't in the game, so does that mean Sora is the one who's in the game?

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

But seriously though, it could mean that Sora, Geno, and Mallow all aren't in the game, which, while unfortunate, is possible.
It's quite likely he just fell into the fake names trap that even Verge fears, don't think this is a serious point for any of them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hmm, are there many Young Link ones, then?
No, just one from the tree house and it's an 8-player one, so it's hard to see, not to mention whoever's playing him isn't that good.

Young link isn't as fast as I thought he'd be. Toon link seems better for a projectile game. Dont know what y.link's strengths are

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Customs, I’m glad they fused Palutena’s Reflect and Counter and gave her Explosive Flame. Sure, Auto Reticle buff and lightweight would’ve been good, but it’s a major improvement for her projectile game

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Are we seriously still throwing around Hat Goomba after a god damn :ultpiranha: made it into the roster?
Well are we seriously throwing around the idea that we'll get more then one wtf gag character like piranha plant as a DLC character?

I doubt DLC will be plant goomba, mask goomba, cactus goomba, and hat goomba. Idk lets say you?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I love the Dee.

Never said I didnt like him.

I just said not to get excited just because he wasnt shown.

Doesnt seem reasonable to assume he's in because he wasnt shown... Thats like getting excited for Wiggler, etc. Because they werent shown.
Sorry, I was getting that impression from how you were comparing him to generic enemies and calling him a hat goomba like other detractors tend to do. My bad.

I just feel that they would have shown him by now if he's a spirit. He has enough of a fanbase for Nintendo to at least acknowledge that he's wanted, regardless of whether they think he's a fit or not. They pretty much did it to every other character, why would Bandana Dee be the exception when he is at the same level, if not higher, of popularity as everyone else who got deconfirmed, especially in Japan?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, even Duke Nukem is likelier, since at least he has a history of being in occasional family-friendly games and has plenty of backsass. Doomguy would be like giving him the SNES Mortal Kombat 1 treatment (unless they compensate with ridiculously brutal looking throws, or something).
Not really.
Gore isn't a part of his character, at least not as much as much as Bayonetta torturing her opponents before executing them.

Doomguy really just needs a few things to be doomguy
1. Guns
2. Punches

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
I’m still mad they just copy pasted Toon Link’s Final Smash onto Young Link. They didn’t even have him transform into Fierce Diety to do it. Missed opportunities

Enchess

Smash Lord
Well are we seriously throwing around the idea that we'll get more then one wtf gag character like piranha plant as a DLC character?

I doubt DLC will be plant goomba, mask goomba, cactus goomba, and hat goomba. Idk lets say you?
Do you really think we'll get a out-of-place meme character when we already have a wtf gag character?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dont think we've seen Peach gameplay yet, but I'm curious how she is, because Daisy seems faster than usual.
She might be faster than peach like Ken is faster than Ryu.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Bandana Dee seriously isn't a gag character, not anymore anyway. Once upon a time, yes, he was a joke boss. He's evolved past that since then though. The Kirby series itself acknowledges his growth since then.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sorry, I was getting that impression from how you were comparing him to generic enemies and calling him a hat goomba like other detractors tend to do. My bad.

I just feel that they would have shown him by now if he's a spirit. He has enough of a fanbase for Nintendo to at least acknowledge that he's wanted, regardless of whether they think he's a fit or not. They pretty much did it to every other character, why would Bandana Dee be the exception when he is at the same level, if not higher, of popularity as everyone else who got deconfirmed, especially in Japan?
He is a hat goomba though, in my opinion.

He looks awesome in star allies though. Would main.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I’m still mad they just copy pasted Toon Link’s Final Smash onto Young Link. They didn’t even have him transform into Fierce Diety to do it. Missed opportunities
Not to mention that Robin's final smash still has Chrom in it. They were a tad lazy on the final smashes this time for whatever reason?

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
He is a hat goomba though, in my opinion.

He looks awesome in star allies though. Would main.
Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree, I think his involvement in the series puts him far past that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
YLink references kinda lame all around.
They shoulda done
4 alts, OoT equipment. Adult Link final smash
4 alts, MM equipment. Fierce Deity final smash

Calane

Smash Ace
Not to be antagonistic.
But hat goomba probably wasn't shown for the same reason why other non-important trash mob/ mooks werent.
They showed waddle dee as a spirit which is atleast a half decent head nod of recognition.
I wouldnt get my hopes up at all for this characters inclusion... I feel like getting excited about hat goomba not being shown is like someone getting excited over wiggler not being shown.
The thing is, Bandana Waddle Dee is not a generic enemy. He's an established character that just happens to be the same species as a generic enemy. He is a Waddle Dee, but he's a specific Waddle Dee that has not only become the fourth main character of the franchise, but has also been portrayed as being Kirby's best friend as of late. It's not that hard to understand.

If you'd like to know more about Bandana Waddle Dee, I'd recommend checking out this page: Bandana Waddle Dee

Hope this clears things up for you.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Bandana Dee seriously isn't a gag character, not anymore anyway. Once upon a time, yes, he was a joke boss. He's evolved past that since then though. The Kirby series itself acknowledges his growth since then.
I respect your opinion, but mine is different, i have viewed the reasons and rationale I couldnt change my opinion on him.

To each their own.

Potato_

Smash Lord
This is the part that saddens me the most. Make it triforce slash whatever, just please have the damn mask in! A model change is all I ask for.

At least he looks like he keeps the Melee Link moveset pretty damn well. His aerials look incredibly fast too, so I'm very excited to play him.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Not to mention that Robin's final smash still has Chrom in it. They were a tad lazy on the final smashes this time for whatever reason?
And on top of that others, like Meta Knight, had their Final Smashes changed when there was no reason to change them.
I like his new FS, but it didn't need to be changed.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Young Link feels so unloved.

Maybe Sakurai considered him an alternative to Link as they changed him so much?

It's a shame.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I mean, if there was a goomba with a hat that was in a ton of mario games, was playable in a lot of those, had a ton of fan support, and a huge amount of moveset potential then yeah I'd argue hat goomba should get in, and not as a piranha plant style joke character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I dunno why they kept using OoT YLink when the MM YLink is way cooler.

Shoutouts to Hyrule Warriors for making YLink my favorite incarnation of Link.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Young Link all around feels underdeveloped. It feels like they didn’t really care about him and just put him in for the Everyone is Here

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The thing is, Bandana Waddle Dee is not a generic enemy. He's an established character that just happens to be the same species as a generic enemy. He is a Waddle Dee, but he's a specific Waddle Dee that has not only become the fourth main character of the franchise, but has also been portrayed as being Kirby's best friend as of late. It's not that hard to understand.

If you'd like to know more about Bandana Waddle Dee, I'd recommend checking out this page: Bandana Waddle Dee

Hope this clears things up for you.
Ah, I respect what you've shown me mate.
Just don't think the same of the character.

Still just a goomba wearing a hat to me.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
HEY!
While you may feel bad for hitting the Sandbag, there is some light for it:

Seems like the Sandbag is HAPPY and joyful even if he is brutally beaten up. That is cute!
Aww how adorable! Nice to see they added more of a character on the Sandbag.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And on top of that others, like Meta Knight, had their Final Smashes changed when there was no reason to change them.
I like his new FS, but it didn't need to be changed.
yeh. some are good changes, other seems like there's less.

hey just wondering, is your avatar from something? like it

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We are still using hat goomba as an insult in a universe where "generic stage hazard plant" got in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom