• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
If Piranha Plant borrowed as many animations as some have purported, then it is kind of like Wolf in which it took less effort to make because it’s animations were easier and/or already made. Honestly, had Sakurai not made the plant, we may not have had a bonus character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We still need fanart of Kirby (The Last Smasher) and Rocket Raccoon (The Last Guardian) leading the Smashers and Guardians and Avengers against Galeem and Thanos.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Or just don't buy the game at all and not give Nintendo anymore support (Knowing I was almost about to be cheated out of money)!!!!!!
lol Okay then. Never seen someone so mad about DLC they can skip and ignore entirely, but whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Or just don't buy the game at all and not give Nintendo anymore support (Knowing I was almost about to be cheated out of money)!!!!!!
One character should not ruin the whole game. Focus on how every veteran is here, and how K.Rool, Ridley, Simon Belmont, and more are in, how there are 103 stages, and adventure mode, and quality of life changes added for each character. One character you dont even need to buy or get for free is not the end of the world. Calm the **** down

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So I kinda got what I wanted with PP....

It uses poison. Not a fully fledged poison fighter but better than nothing.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Are there even anymore "rules" for which characters can get in for DLC? After Piranha Plant, it seems like anyone is fair game as long as they didn't make their debut after the project plan's finalization. Yes. Even characters that already appear in Assist Trophies. With that said, the only characters I don't want for DLC are the ones who negatively affect the chances of my most-wanted. Regardless of what happens though, I won't be a poor sport and complain if my most-wanted don't get in. Whoever gets in is clearly considered worthy enough by Sakurai, and any new character at this point is a bonus in my book, even if I may not necessarily like them.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
If Piranha Plant borrowed as many animations as some have purported, then it is kind of like Wolf in which it took less effort to make because it’s animations were easier and/or already made. Honestly, had Sakurai not made the plant, we may not have had a bonus character.
Okay, but what the heck animations would they have used?

We really don't have any other plant fighters in Smash...

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
But then wouldn't it make the most sense to get a Dragon Quest rep than Sora? DQ11 is on the way to Switch. It's a really really long way before KH3 is realized on the Switch. No matter how updated (They said it's mostly the screen) it won't compete with a PS4 or a Pro for that matter. So as DQ it'll take some time to dev.
I thought about that, but given that Dragon Quest has many protagonists versus Kingdom Hearts only having one main one. I think they might lean towards Sora more because he's consistently the main protagonist of Kingdom Hearts vs that current Dragon Quest hero that eventually wont be the main hero. Plus Dragon Quest hero's are usually not as recognizable as compared to Final Fantasy hero's or Fire Emblem hero's. This is just my opinion and my perspective, its highly possible they will choose a Dragon Quest character.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Mini-game for ya'll:

Who will you be fighting Galeem as (up to 6 as that's how many you were allowed to fight Tabuu with).
What song would you replace the Final Boss theme with, assuming you do so?
Is your reason for these choices have anything to do with the game's story/lore, or do you have other reasons?
Cloud
Lucas
Pokemon Trainer
Ridley
K Rool
Bowser

If I don't like the final boss music, I'd probably make the music either the Brawl/Melee intro theme, one of Brawl's boss themes, or Giga Bowser.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think Piranha Plant would've been easier due to other characters with similar moves.

I mean, maybe coding-wise, but Piranha Plant can't share its skeleton with other characters, so they had to make its animations and such from scratch...

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure he has no reused animations. I mean, look at him, he's a plant, how could anybody else share animations with him?

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I only hope you're right because this means it could be 2B, but I know it won't be 2B.

YOU HAVE SUMMONED ME!

And that's a pretty accurate way to put it. Actually, Pretty sure Yoko Taro would've actually just had them all die trying...

I mean, I know Emil would've probably taken out the entire planet just to get Galeem.
9S probably would've done the same as 2B.
Same goes for A2.

Sheesh, these really are a lot of self-sacrificing characters. They're more human than I am, and I'm an actual human.
She would be really interesting, the only thing hurting her chances. Is that she is already a guest in Soul Calibur 6, that may hurt her chances.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, gonna stop this borrowed animations train right here right now.

Not sure if you noticed, but we've got a lot of characters that have moves that
1. Look like another move but act different
2. Don't look like another move, but act similarly
3. Look like another move, and acts similarly

PP mostly relies on number 2 as he's a simple plant using simple moves.
His animations, are all 100% unique and made from the ground up, unless Sakurai has a skeleton of a plant lying around to do karate kicks with.
That said, due to being a stretchy simple character, that probably makes it slightly easier to animate compared to say a human.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People don't get that "doing the same movement" doesn't mean "copied move"
Piranha Plant headbashing is completely different from Charizard doing the same.
PP stomping someone is completely different from Ganondorf doing a stomp.
And so on and on.
Saying PP is a clone or Echo is the same as saying Wolf is one.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Earlier someone pointed out that his aerials are interestingly similar to Captain Falcon.

...how many more Falcon clones do we need?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Also, holy ****, they used resources to make Wolf even more different than Brawl Wolf who was already less of a clone than Falco is.

Seriously, other than his specials, it's pretty hard to find what little he kept from Fox now.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
One character should not ruin the whole game. Focus on how every veteran is here, and how K.Rool, Ridley, Simon Belmont, and more are in, how there are 103 stages, and adventure mode, and quality of life changes added for each character. One character you dont even need to buy or get for free is not the end of the world. Calm the **** down
Does everyone not understand that Story Mode is just Smash tour 3.0!

Also! I Wrote a whole list of characters, stages, and costumes and mailed them to Nintendo for them and Sakurai to use as suggestions (Some of which were good ideas)!

And what do they! RAISE A GIANT MIDDLE FINGER AT ME THROW MY IDEAS IN THE TRASH IN FAVOR OF SOMETHING NOBODY EVER ASKED FOR!!!!!!!!!!

Also! All the modes from the past Smash games are gone (CAN YOU ALL SEE WHY I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS HORRIFIC GARBAGE)!!!!!!!!

The ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS PLAY ONLINE WHICH IS SAID TO BE NON FUNCTIONAL!

PLEASE!!! LISTEN TO MY WARNING SIGNS AND STOP BEFORE YOU WASTE VALUABLE RESOURCES ON SOMETHING NOT WORTH YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I mean I'd rather not get Piranha Plant at all so I wouldn't mind missing out on the bonus character

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I've been on here for a while but I've never actually done it until very recently. It's certainly not something I do often.

It gets a little confusing though, as you can probably tell.
Oh, come now. I could hardly tell. Haha

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Also, holy ****, they used resources to make Wolf even more different than Brawl Wolf who was already less of a clone than Falco is.

Seriously, other than his specials, it's pretty hard to find what little he kept from Fox now.
He has Melee Fox's neutral air apparently, which I find to be hilarious.

He's definitely not a real clone though.

D

Deleted member

Also! I Wrote a whole list of characters, stages, and costumes and mailed them to Nintendo for them and Sakurai to use as suggestions (Some of which were good ideas)!

And what do they! RAISE A GIANT MIDDLE FINGER AT ME THROW MY IDEAS IN THE TRASH IN FAVOR OF SOMETHING NOBODY EVER ASKED FOR!!!!!!!!!!

Also! All the modes from the past Smash games are gone (CAN YOU ALL SEE WHY I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS HORRIFIC GARBAGE)!!!!!!!!
I really don't see how the Story Mode is Smash Tour 3.0. You are acting really unhinged right now. Unless your trolling and your doing this attention, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Earlier someone pointed out that his aerials are interestingly similar to Captain Falcon.

...how many more Falcon clones do we need?
Enough so Sakurai can yell at F-Zero fans for wanting another F-Zero character apparently

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
1. I only had the 3DS version so it's new to me
2. Explain how the **** this overworld exploration with boss fights and lore is Smash Tour

:jigglypuff64::pichumelee: That's the joke of the joke character. :rob::4wiifit:

Not even close to the truth.
But hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure, and this game is boutta be my next loot.

Last edited:

Vasculio

Smash Cadet
The spirits are basically trophies. Playable characters can be Spirits too. It's meaningless at this point.

Overall, he's a glorified trophy. I'm not sure how good his chances are, that said. Echoes won't be DLC, so...
Well... if anything goes. I guess Spirits Characters arn't exempt from being possible DLC Characters. Say... Isaac and Shadow

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Oh a troll. Okay, I feel better now. I really thought you meant the psychotic babble you were infecting the forums with.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Mini-game for ya'll:

Who will you be fighting Galeem as (up to 6 as that's how many you were allowed to fight Tabuu with).
What song would you replace the Final Boss theme with, assuming you do so?
Is your reason for these choices have anything to do with the game's story/lore, or do you have other reasons?
1. :ultpikachu::ultzss::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultsnake:
2. Ultra Necrozma's Theme, as the track actually invokes the feeling of an etheral and ultimate battle.
3. The reasons I chose these guys, are mostly because these are the characters I'm most excited to play as, and/or are my mains.
Some of them could have "story" behind it though:
:ultpikachu::ultzss: - After the events of Subspace, Samus decided to split. After getting taken out by Galeem individually, who's a bigger threat than Tabuu, they decide to take the fight straight to it, this time Samus relying on her old partner.
:ultlucina::ultyounglink:- Both considered heroes of valor and suffered devastation of their worlds. They come together knowing fate can be changed, as they have done it themselves. They decide to strike at Galeem with the idea that they can't falter again.
:ultpokemontrainer:- Red always seeks out great opponents, from Mt. Silver to Unova and beyond. He and his team finally got wiped out by Galeem, and Red became disappointed as he failed to win the first time. Yearning to claim victory and prove himself as a legendary trainer, he rallies with the others.
:ultsnake:- I actually didn't think of Snake's.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman

One, what is Smash Tour 2.0? Two, we barely saw anything from the mode, wait a little bit before calling it Smash Tour 3.0. 3, they wouldn't have seen your letter, and if they did, it was too late for anything in the base roster. 4, what about every other character, allt he stages, all the items, and the changes, the new modes like Squad Strike, or the fact that Games and Morw still exist, and all we know about that is Classic and All Star, so Home Run Contest and Break the Targets could still be in the game.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord

The ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS PLAY ONLINE WHICH IS SAID TO BE NON FUNCTIONAL!

PLEASE!!! LISTEN TO MY WARNING SIGNS AND STOP BEFORE YOU WASTE VALUABLE RESOURCES ON SOMETHING NOT WORTH YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION!!!!!!!!
1.Please stop
2.Stop typing everything in full caps.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Alright, gonna stop this borrowed animations train right here right now.

Not sure if you noticed, but we've got a lot of characters that have moves that
1. Look like another move but act different
2. Look like a different move, but act similarly
3. Look like another move, and acts similarly

PP mostly relies on number 2 as he's a simple plant using simple moves.
His animations, are all 100% unique and made from the ground up, unless Sakurai has a skeleton of a plant lying around to do karate kicks with.
That said, due to being a stretchy simple character, that probably makes it slightly easier to animate compared to say a human.
Aren't 2 and 3 the same thing reworded?

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Hell! I would have rather prefered a Goomba or A Koopa Troopa (At least those those guys can move around, punch, kick, and fly) as opposed to a plant that has nothing interesting to offer us!!!!!
As a Goomba supporter (heck i made the support thread), I'd argue that Piranha Plant has MORE to offer than goomba or koopa!

Before I start, I just want to be clear that with 75+ characters in this game, the chances that new characters will have something even slightly similar to another is hugely likely no matter what. Simon's Axe is a projectile that goes in an arc like Mii Brawler, K Rool has Dedede's Nair, a counter, and the crown is a boomerang like Link. Incineroar has K Rool's drop kick, Pikachu's nair multihits like Mewtwo's, etc. Moves are gonna be shared sometimes, it happens.

With that out of the way, I'll explain why I think Piranha Plant offers more than you think to the roster.

-Neutral Special: Weird spiky ball thing. This is entirely a new move, blowing a spiky ball in the air which covers opponents landing, and can be shot away to stop recoveries from off stage. Has lag, but a weird and different move nonetheless!

-Side Special: Toxic Gas. This is nothing like Wario's fart which does damage and charges and kills. This is a toxic gas that moves slightly forward and is implied to do damage over time, which could make this a good way to rack up damage. I see potential set ups of setting the gas at high percent, grabbing and pummeling and having the gas do damage at the same time.

-Up Special: Helicopter. This is different enough from K Rool's, his is not meant to be used for damage, but from the appearance of Piranha plant's this is a multihit move with even more maneuverability than K Rool's, and has a much larger hit box.

-Down Special: Expand Plant. This is entirely new and is HUGE on range. This move is super cool, and you can angle where you can attack and covers half the stage. This could definitely be good on stages like battlefield with platforms attacking from one to another, and I think its just a really weird and cool new mechanic we've not seen in a character before.

-Final Smash: Petey Piranha. An amazing callback to the first boss of subspace emissary with the cages, it makes total sense and looks really cool to see petey help out in the fight!

Thats for his specials. As for everything else, i could go on for a while on why each move is different but thatd take too long. Sure nair is like Ivysaur's, and Dair is like Dr. Marios which is also like Ganondorfs which is also like Captain Falcons. But hey, dunks are always hype and youre lying to yourself if you dont think so. His fair is solid, his forward smash looks cool, and overall hes got a solid looking moveset.

Finally, the character sparks tons more personality than goomba and koopa could ever show. His toothy grin, his silly tounge hanging from his mouth as he runs, he looks like hes enjoying every second of getting to slap around the competition! It's like he's so psyched to finally stretch his tiny feets for the first time and take the fight to the opponents than waiting for mario to accidentally step on him. He's goofy and he knows it and relishes in it.

I hope i could help you understand a bit more about this character and why i love him. You don't have to love him, but i just want to help show you why I personally dont see him as a copycat of other characters in the game, and shows off alot of personality for a common mario enemy!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Maybe you should have thought twice before buying that Monkey's Paw, Venus.
Lol I’m actually become fond of our carnivorous Plant. I consider it the mediocre icing of an already beautiful cake. I got chased by a Japanese monkey once. Frightening ordeal. Made the mistake of looking at it in the eyes.

I said before that regardless what the Direct shows, I’m perfectly content with the roster.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well... if anything goes. I guess Spirits Characters arn't exempt from being possible DLC Characters. Say... Isaac and Shadow
Going from Assist to Character in the same game isn't impossible just because it hasn't happened.
But come on, we ALL know Waluigi would be the first to get that one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's been confirmed there's more modes than the other ones on the site mentioned.

We just don't know what they are yet. Some could be gone. Stage Builder might be. Target Smash might be. Who knows. They change mini-games every single game too, so we could get other ones.

I think you forgot the word "like" in there. XD Anyway, yeah, those they aren't exempt officially. Just assumaby. I'd love Isaac and Shadow DLC, but I won't get my hopes up.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Thank god this website has an ignore function. Meanwhile, I'm thinking where to pre-order the Special Edition. Thinking Gamestop since I can't really get it from Best Buy unless I have the actual amount.

So uhh how do I block people or get it to where I can’t see a certain person’s posts? Certain people are taking this way to seriously or they just trolling hard, and it’s kind of annoying
Put your mouse to their username. Their profile shows up and press the ignore link. You'll thank me later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom