• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Honestly the only exciting things about the direct was the story mode and confirmation of DLC. They spent too much time on the Spirits thing. And Incineroar is easily my least favourite newcomer for this game. I'm just glad Lloyd didn't get AT'd or Spirited Away so he's a candidate for DLC.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ah I see. So they went out of their way to **** on geno fans
Genuine question I'd love for Geno fans to answer in all honesty:

Assuming that Geno wasn't intended to be in the game from the start, what could they have possibly done to not "**** on" you? If he were revealed as a Spirit or AT or whatever at E3? The August direct? If he just weren't in the game at all? If Sakurai said in a Famitsu column that Geno's not in with a public apology?

The development team isn't sitting around a table curling their mustaches and petting their cats plotting ways to screw over specific parts of their fanbase just to be ****s.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Anyone complaining about Bandana Waddle Dee being a Goomba with a headband can get ****ed after that Piranha Plant reveal.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The only underwhelming thing for me is the lack of trophies. That's really dumb.
Not really, making so many models for no purpose is a real time sink for a game with so tight development time.

Though, I loved Stickers, so I'm biased.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly, the fact that he clearly said that all DLC are already planned put me into a calm mind state.

Now, I just have to enjoy the ride and enjoy all of them. While still hoping that Sora is one of them-

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If now you honestly think banjo or geno still have a chance, your head is in the sand
DON'T TELL US TO STOP BELIEVING FAM

WE DON'T NEED THIS RIGHT NOW

I still think one of them is going to show, but not sure which one. Worst case they don't show and Crash does just so i can enjoy the salt here

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Zinith Zinith
How do you feel about Yoshi's new Final Smash?

I think it's pretty cool, though I'll miss Super Dragon.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
2 things to note in case anyone didn't notice here yet. Geno is a Spirit and Bandana Dee's "Hat Goomba" argument is dead now
EDIT: If any mad Geno fanboys are gonna get mad at me **** off. Also Spirits can be fighters too so wait a while. Perhaps we'll see him later
It's kinda funny he got called Hat Goomba and then got overlooked in favor of Pot Goomba

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The only underwhelming thing for me is the lack of trophies. That's really dumb.
This one's.... yeah, I agree but also... it was kinda impossible after the huge amount of content they were making. If spirits come with flavor text too I'll feel like it was at least a worthy sacrifice

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still laughing over Piranha Plant. That is such a random character and it actually looks like it fits in. The Piranha Plant Posse is going to be too fun next year!

Already got the digital game downloaded and bought the season pass because I had enough gold coins to get it for free.

Also I know this is controversial, but I really like how they cut a lot of the excess fat in the game and really focused on streamlining the experience:
  • trophies are gone, which I think is great because they were a total waste of time. Instead, their successor is actually incorporated into the game as a major mechanic while still letting collectors collect them all (there's probably like 10,000 of them).
  • side modes like HRC are really just time-wasters that don't really serve a purpose. Canning them helped us get Smashdown and Squad Strike, and that cool looking Century Smash
  • stage builder was always gimped by some arbitrary decisions so instead of making it suck again, they put the dev time towards something very polished
  • in general, if we lost all of the side non-Smash modes for the adventure mode, I think that's a great deal because this one looks like they fixed all of the problems with Subspace. Seriously, that world is huge! The replay value is probably insane too.

Training mode stage has to be selectable somehow. They'll reuse the menu and just put it in the last box.
Actually, HRC being gone hurts a HELL of a lot.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Underwhelming, or just overhyped?
I mean deep down I expected Incineroar and Ken but can't feel that I wanted more than that and frankly Piranha Plant is kinda meh to me. So I am underwhelmed. I never believed truly in the Grinch leak but at least maybe one more character would have been awesome for 40 minutes of direct.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
Hello guys, do you know where can I find some early analysis or impression on the 1.0 footage we have seen so far ? It's a mess right now

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Anyone who thinks the Grinch leak has any chance of still being real, stop. It's over. 2/5 of the characters in it are assists. That alone is a giveaway.
I know its fake the only weird thing is ken banner matches

Its making people speculate the 4 survivors for dlc

Noipoi

Howdy!
Not really, making so many models for no purpose is a real time sink for a game with so tight development time.

Though, I loved Stickers, so I'm biased.
I understand the reasoning, but I really liked trophies. Like, a lot.
I'd spend hours just looking at them, and now I can't.

bountyhunta87

Smash Cadet
You didn't hear that they weren't either. It would be such easy money. They just wouldn't be part of Fighter Pass. IMO, there is no rule that Geno couldn't go from Spirit to Fighter or Isaac and Shadow couldn't make the same transition from assist.
The man did say "created from scratch" tho

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
Genuine question I'd love for Geno fans to answer in all honesty:

Assuming that Geno wasn't intended to be in the game from the start, what could they have possibly done to not "**** on" you? If he were revealed as a Spirit or AT or whatever at E3? The August direct? If he just weren't in the game at all? If Sakurai said in a Famitsu column that Geno's not in with a public apology?

The development team isn't sitting around a table curling their mustaches and petting their cats plotting ways to screw over specific parts of their fanbase just to be ****s.
How about not making him an online avatar, and mii costume for the second time? It'd be preferable for him to not appear at all
Also why bother including a golden sun item and not include the star of that franchise? It's clear that people want them both.
Now i have a genuine question for you. Why do you think everything sakurai does is perfect?

Untouch

Smash Master
After I've let it sit for a bit.. in my opinion..

GOOD
- Incineroar looks much better than I had anticipated him looking, I expected him to be a clone of Bowser so I'm pleasently surprised.
- Ken looks a lot more fleshed out that other echos.
- Piranha Plant looks really fun to play. I always like odd picks and he's a very odd pick.
- My favourites' chances just really shot up, I never really expected them for base game.
- King K Rool is still playable.
- Actually having matchmaking is a huge positive for online.

MEH
- Spirits doesn't look as exciting as Subspace or Adventure, but we'll see.
- I was kind of expecting more than 103 stages (I know, that's a lot, but new 4 stages for launch is a bit low in my opinion).
- Sakurai is locking himself to only 6 DLC, Smash 4 had 7 and that was stretched out over 2 years, this is going to be done in 1.
- Online doesn't seem explained well to me at all.

BAD
- Where did Home Run Contest go?
- No demo, will it be released later?
- The direct itself was a mess, content aside, 20 minutes was decided to what felt like filler.

All in all I'm content, expected a bit more, but not really let done for the most part. 7/10

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Chrono.

Honestly, what hurts the most is that this more or less kills the idea of newer 1st party DLC characters.

Rex and Spring Man were "Shoo-ins" for DLC, and, well.......rip in pieces.
Yeah this is kinda what blows.

I don't mind third parties and even want a few but eh.

If I get Sora or Lloyd I'm marking the **** out tho. Tails too but he's a lost cause at this point.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
not sure if i wanna get my hopes up a 4th time for geno dlc or just stop being hyped so i wont be upset when hes deconfirmed again lol

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm still on the fence about whether I'm gonna pick it up, but I don't really have the excuse of money this time, so chances are I'll eventually get peer pressured into it. :p
You're not sure about getting Ultimate? You're talking crazy, N3ON! :crazy:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Now with Piranha Plant, Incineroar will not be the subject of hatred that he was initially promise lol.

D

Deleted member

I'll buy the season pass eventually, I just want to see who at least the first character is before I do.

Also...I'm starting to 180 on World of Light. I'm not gonna let my salt on what it isn't affect me potentially still enjoying what it is, so I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm calming down now and starting to find positives.

This game is still going to be amazing. One kinda bad Direct isn't enough to ruin 74 fighters with 5 more on the way, 103 stages with more on the way, amazing game modes, OG Classic being back, and so much more for me. This disappointment is only temporary. Once I get the game in my hands, I'll feel just as happy as I was to see it back in March.

I unironically whole heartedly love pirhana plant. I know and understand so many people are disappointed (I've wanted Banjo since melee y'all) but I couldnt be happier with him let's see:

> It has a poison move. Something I've always wanted in smash.
> Hes unique as hell. These are the characters I play Smash for. It's not human who does a thing, it's a man-eating plant in a pot.
> It is a referance machine. It uses the spike ball I've always loved.
> The stretch move looks beastly and fun.
> I legitimatly like generic mook characters.

But most of all it brings Petey Pirhana to the fight. Petey is one of my all time favorite characters period. I could kinda write a book about why I like Petey. I would have loved him playable and now, in a final smash, he is. I woulda loved some goopy puke but damn, this is wonderful

I have a theroy that they may have wanted to add Petey as a playable charcter, but decided against it because his appearance in Subspace. I know "too big" isnt and never was an argument, but I could see them being iffy about it. Adding the pirhana plant and letting Petey show up in his FS was probably the compromise and let them throw in a SSE referance to boot. It makes the plant feel less out of left field.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

btw it's INCREDIBLY clear what my opinion is judging by the Nintenzone post but I do understand why people would find this underwhelming, especially because of the pacing, final base first and like 20 minutes on Spirits? Damn
That one Direct that had Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for 8 and a half minutes doesn't seem so bad, huh?
We're at that point now.

oh goD OH GOD.png

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man Sonic slowing down to try and save Pikachu is so great to me for some reason.

It's nice to remember Sonic is more than just fast talking and lame jokes from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom