• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
That Sm4sh was very, very badly marketed? What does that have to do with Ultimate?
Hate to pull the "oh it's different" card but I'm pulling it

50 Fact Extravaganza is just plain-out misleading to use. That was because Smash 3DS had released. Of course there's no newcomers in there; they already promised 3DS and Wii U would have the same roster, and...Mewtwo was revealed there, so. I don't think the 50 Fact Extravaganza is the one to pull here when there were literally no characters for them to introduce.

I'll give you Smash 4, but consider this is Ultimate, and consider how we got 5 characters-3 of which introduced in trailers-in a 27 minute long Direct.

I guess I don't understand why people are being so put down by the notion that we'll only get 3-4 newcomers when it just doesn't add up.
But's precedence. Two similar length Directs for the last game only had a single newcomer trailer shown.

The final presentation is going to have to go into the nitty-gritty on basically everything a la the 50 fact extravaganza, and even though there's more characters to show expecting a ton of reveals seems like you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Also, the August Direct had only two unique newcomers shown-- the other 3 were Echoes.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Okay... so...

The biggest hurdle is "how the hell would a Tetris Block even move?", right?

Well, what if, as it was moving, it "grew" other blocks, constantly shifting as it moves around? You could even use this for attacks.

It's a bit of a complex thing to describe.
Hmmm... i like it...

Untouch

Smash Master
Unless they plan on releasing music for the same series 2 weeks in a row, this music post should be interesting, what if it's another Pokemon song?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Honestly, I think that there has to be some more of the more wanted ballot choices. Because besides :ultkrool: and maybe :ultinkling:, I don't think any of the others really had that much support due to the ballot.

-:ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultridley::ultisabelle: All were in the game either as a stage hazard, an assist trophy or as part of Robin's final smash.
-:ultdaisy: Probably did decent, but with a Peach recolor for her, she probably also didn't get too many votes.
-:ultsimon: Snake was popular on the ballot, so I don't think Simon had gotten too much support.
-:ultrichter: Do you really think Richter had an support on the ballot?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Probably BS but this is super Random from him
Generally I try not trusting a man named Con. But--I seriously don't know how that could be Skull Kid, no matter how blurry the pic is. Who is this?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Icineroar obviously. Unless he means that Skull Kid is hiding below Mach Rider and everyone ignored him.
It's definitely not Skull Kid. If you can see mach rider in the right angle as he's presented, it's a design/bottom lights on his bike

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Also to clear something up.

Jon did not shoot geno down or claim that DQ would get in first.

He said he thinks that maybe they missed the mark and would negotiate for geno once the game was done. But then Andre and Derrick who fully believe Geno is in, reminded Jon they already had the rights for the mii costume.

Thinking afterwards, Jon stated that he forgot that and sees no hurdles for Geno. He also said he wouldn't be shock if Geno was the first DLC announced in the direct.

As for DQ, Derrick bought up that dragon quest would win japan and Jon agreed, it didn't specifically say he thinks its getting a rep though.

Just thought I'd clarify those as these two are big points.
I feel that if Geno was DLC, it'd reflect rather poorly on Square.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In Japan, sure, but I don't remember a "Japan only" pick besides Marth and Roy back in Melee.
I mean....your point doesn't really equal much though.

Dragon Quest is a staple franchise in the JRPG genre. You know what the J in JRPG stands for?

Japan. Meaning that it's influence in Japan of course is trickling down to all the other JRPGs that people play.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But's precedence. Two similar length Directs for the last game only had a single newcomer trailer shown.

The final presentation is going to have to go into the nitty-gritty on basically everything a la the 50 fact extravaganza, and even though there's more characters to show expecting a ton of reveals seems like you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Also, the August Direct had only two unique newcomers shown-- the other 3 were Echoes.
I'm not expecting a ton of reveals. Also, I included Echoes in my count of "less than 4" but I suppose that was obvious.

I'm just thinking that including Echoes there's no real reason to believe we're just gonna get 3 or less.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

the april direct had 2 characters not one, and one was after everyone knew the roster you cant compare the the 50 fact one and this one

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think that there has to be some more of the more wanted ballot choices. Because besides :ultkrool: and maybe :ultinkling:, I don't think any of the others really had that much support due to the ballot.

-:ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultridley::ultisabelle: All were in the game either as a stage hazard, an assist trophy or as part of Robin's final smash.
-:ultdaisy: Probably did decent, but with a Peach recolor for her, she probably also didn't get too many votes.
-:ultsimon: Snake was popular on the ballot, so I don't think Simon had gotten too much support.
-:ultrichter: Do you really think Richter had an support on the ballot?
Ridley and Daisey had everything to do with the ballot, they haven't been very relevant in years.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
inb4 Skull Kid was the "other character" not in the banner, when in fact he was actually there all along and the insiders never noticed :troll:

I will say that the outline does make it seem more like Skull Kid, but the muted colors make it seem more like it's part of Mach Rider's bike with the other colors just being shadowed ground...

The fairy colors make sense though...but they could just be more ground.

Last edited:

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
So I was doing a bit of theorycrafting earlier today, and I came to a rather interesting discovery.
After the airing of the direct, there will be five Tuesdays left until Ultimate's release. As you all know, there is a music track posted every Tuesday. The leaked banner seems to suggest that there are indeed five fully new characters left, which may suggest that for every Tuesday after the Direct we will get a track from each newcomer's respective series until release. Backing this idea up is that, for each fully new character revealed, they also receive a track from their series at the closest Tuesday since their reveal. When multiple characters are revealed, they will go in an order. What determines the order for which these tracks are released in is determined by their character number (as evidenced by Simon getting his track before K. Rool).

This doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot for the leak, but I thought it was interesting to point out.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I hope the direct starts off with a reveal that just throws a wrench in all the leaks. I don't wanna see the first reveal, and be like oh so the banner is confirmed, no more surprises this direct.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
He really didn’t as he clearly stated he doubted the source but if you want to believe that he backpedaled you do you man :rolleyes:
Regardless, I still don't trust vergeben. He wasn't even the first one to mention Ridley would be playable. He didn't predict Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, or Richter. Verg never at any point leaked the full roster or even claimed to know the full roster. Everything he's said is an amalgamation of bits and pieces he's collected from multiple "sources" which he rarely if ever tries to vet.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ridley and Daisey had everything to do with the ballot, they haven't been very relevant in years.
What do you mean Daisy hasn't been relevant?

Also, Ridley isn't due to the Ballot; Ridley barely blimped during the Ballot. It was his collective fan demand since Melee that got him in.

Daisy's...just been Daisy always, appearing in sports games and all Mario spin-offs...what?

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Evening, Smashboards. Has everyone actually been playing nice in my absence? What you guys talking about (I know most is direct and character speculation still).

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
How would you guys react if the "missing character" was a Pokemon but not Incineroar and rather Gardevoir?
It's probably not even an unpopular opinion that Gardevoir is amongst 100+ pokemon I'd be more excited to see than Incineroar. Personally: Mawile, Chesnaught, Sneasel, Beheeyem, Zeraora, Girafarig, Meloetta, Scizor, blah blah blah, etc.
But none are as nearly as likely as him lol.

Not that Incineroar deserves hate or anything. It's just that he's yet *another* Fire/Fighting-style (ik ik, he's Dark not Fighting technically but he looks/plays either way) starter after there have already been a billion. Infernape or Blaziken (or personally, Combusken) have cooler designs imo anyway

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
What do you mean Daisy hasn't been relevant?

Also, Ridley isn't due to the Ballot; Ridley barely blimped during the Ballot. It was his collective fan demand since Melee that got him in.

Daisy's...just been Daisy always, appearing in sports games and all Mario spin-offs...what?
isnt ridley in samus retruns as well? id hard call him irrelevant

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So.. who do you guys think is the character not in the banner that is not Incineroar, that insiders are claiming about?
Something tells me it's Elma... idk

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but the japanese blog update is about the direct, and it says it will be the final direct about the game before release.

Whoops, it's in the thread title, nvm.

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
s
How would you guys react if the "missing character" was a Pokemon but not Incineroar and rather Gardevoir?
That would be great because it's a pokemon with lasting appeal for people over a character that will exist for gen 7 and disappear off people's radars when gen 8 arrives. He wasn't even close to being the most popular gen 7 pokemon.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
So today's the day the blog posts the music right? Which series do you think they'll cover? I'm thinking it's either Sonic, Pokemon, or Xenoblade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom