• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You know, I'd find it hilarious it we find out Spirits mode isnt even called that.
I've been using quotation marks around it ('Spirits' mode) each time since we never really got confirmation of what it was called and just stuck with the most common leak name for it.

Im pretty sure we're all aware it may not actually be called that; it's just simpler calling it 'Spirits' mode as opposed to 'The Unnamed Feature On The Menu That Was Shown In The 8/8 Direct, But Was Blurred Out' mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Because 3 mins is a lot of time to cover a singular thing. Go watch the previous directs and note how much time was spent on each segment.
I certainly have. And they have gone over three minutes for things that need to go in-depth.

Such as a revamped online interface and all the modes therein.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, if the Grinch Leak is fake, I won't really be upset, at long as we get at least one more female rep. Only having three (arguably four) female characters just doesn't seem like very much. I understand that this game presented through the male gaze (with primarily a male audience in mind), but if we have like 12 male characters and only 3 or 4 female characters I'm gonna...probably do absolutely nothing. But I mean, Smash 4 had (I think) seven female characters (either fully female or dual-gendered). So can we get, like, maybe just one or two more female/dual-gendered characters? That's not asking for too much, is it?
Elma and Female Mach Rider I hope :( Or Ayumi Tachibana.

KOS-MOS too would be lovely.

MainJPW

M.T.A
So, out of the series that don't have multiple representatives (counting :ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters: as a wii series, and not counting :ultryu: because Ken is p much inevitable):
:ultbayonetta:
:ultfalcon:
:ultcloud:
:ultduckhunt: (Arguably "Lightgun", if it is impossible to pick another)
:ulticeclimbers:
:ultinkling:
:ultlittlemac:
:ultmegaman:
:ultgnw:
:ultolimar:
:ultpacman:
:ultrob:
:ultshulk:
:ultsnake:
:ultsonic:
:ultwario:
Who would you add for each?
:ultbayonetta: : Jeanne
:ultfalcon: : Black Shadow
:ultcloud: : Sephiroth
:ultduckhunt: : N/A
:ulticeclimbers: : N/A
:ultinkling: : Octoling
:ultlittlemac: : King Hippo
:ultmegaman: : Mega Man X
:ultgnw: : N/A
:ultolimar: : Louie
:ultpacman: : Ms. Pac-Man
:ultrob: : Professor Hector
:ultshulk: : Elma
:ultsnake: : Raiden
:ultsonic: : Tails
:ultwario: : Ashley or Captain Syrup

D

Deleted member

I suggest you guys get your DLC newcomer predictions ready before the direct starts, because there is the chance we might get DLC announced with packs of newcomers announced.
Predictions: Rayman, New Pokemon
Hopes: Zoe Trent

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This is a really bad argument. The entire point of an insider is the idea that they're supposed to be 'in the know' so when they say something it can be assumed true. Without that assumption, they're literally no higher than educated speculation.

Pointing out that they've been wrong several times demonstrates that they're not a reliable source of information. They might know something and it's worth keeping in mind, or this might be another one of those times that they're wrong. It's far more flawed of reasoning to say "yeah but they got this this and that correct so we should trust them" than to point out that their track record is far from clear of mistakes.
Any insider worth their salt is going to get things wrong, that's how the whole thing works. You have to look at their track record objectively, you can't cherry pick the instances that support the narrative you want to push.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, Smash Direct on Thursday, 2:00 PM UK time.

Last Direct before the Game releases.

Longer than the 50-fact Extravaganza. And people were saying they wouldn't have enough time to introduce 7 Characters at once.
I may be leaning toward team fake now, but I have doubts we will get five newcomers and two echoes in this Direct. Maybe it is just me, but still.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
40 mins with just 2 characters… right cardboard munchers? LMAO

Last edited:

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So here's how the Grinch leak could all be revealed within 40 minutes, since some aren't sure it would be possible. The times I gave each section are base on how approximately much time they were given in the previous direct. This does not mean it will for sure happen, just that it is possible and could look like this... (Note: The times are what time in the direct the segment would end)

Isaac Reveal (2:00)
Isaac moveset/stage discussion (4:30)
Chorus Kids Reveal (6:30)
Chorus Kids moveset/stage discussion (9:00)
Items/stages/assist trophies (14:00)
Mach Rider reveal (16:00)
Mach Rider movesets/stage discussion (18:30)
Echo Reveal (Shadow/Ken) (20:30)
Game Modes (25:30)
Geno Reveal (27:30)
Geno moveset/stage discussion (30:00)
Miscellaneous changes (33:00)
Spirit Mode (38:00)
Banjo Reveal (40:00)

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Can we all make a deal?

If the Grinch Leak is true:
TeamReal: Be happy, celebrate, and maybe do some (well intentioned) teasing of people on TeamFake.
TeamFake: Don't get bitter that you were wrong, just smile and say "Okay, they got us" and admit defeat. No reason to complain!

If the Grinch Leak is fake:
TeamReal: Don't flame the forums or talk crap about insiders, Sakurai, Nintendo, etc for not getting characters you wanted. Just admit that the leaker did an amazing fake and fooled a lot of people.
TeamFake: Don't even talk about it. A lot of people will be upset, and taunting them will only cause this thread to get shut down. Have compassion for all of the disappointed fans.

I think if we all agree to be bound to the Whoville Contract (it's what I'm calling this), I think we will all be fine!

-I sign the Contract: SlickWylde

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
I certainly have. And they have gone over three minutes for things that need to go in-depth.

Such as a revamped online interface and all the modes therein.
What are you hoping to be revamped, out of interest? I can see how it could last 3-5 minutes if it's something like 2 minutes of "all online modes return with a fresh new look and some new features *cue clips with explanatory text*" + 3 minutes of "and for the first time ever [2 or 3 things] [....] we really hope you enjoy it!"

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
I could totally see Sakurai perhaps handwaving the minutiae and more intricate details of characters and stages by telling players to watch the Treehouse stream afterwards. That doesn't mean he would necessarily, but food for thought.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Okay LET'S GO
YEESSSSS!!!!!

Followed by a Treehouse footage too! We’re gonna get new gameplay!

LOOKS AT TIME...

2BBC53B1-BB95-46C3-B10F-7DFD138F6F87.jpeg

Looks like I’m gonna have to skip out on school for a bit.

D

Deleted member

Can we all make a deal?

TeamReal: Be happy, celebrate, and maybe do some (well intentioned) teasing of people on team
TeamFake: Don't get bitter that you were wrong, just smile and say "Okay, they got us" and admit defeat. No reason to complain!

TeamReal: Don't flame the forums or talk crap about insiders, Sakurai, Nintendo, etc for not getting characters you wanted. Just admit that the leaker did an amazing fake and fooled a lot of people.
TeamFake: Don't even talk about it. A lot of people will be upset, and taunting them will only cause this thread to get shut down. Have compassion for all of the disappointed fans.

I think if we all agree to be bound to the Whoville Contract (it's what I'm calling this), I think we will all be fine!

AGREED!
Should I sign too?
Ah, whatever: I sign the Contract: GothFluttershy

D

Deleted member

That's because Ridley was present in the demo though and was covered in the Treehouse event. And a reminder Cloud was revealed in a Direct and got an explanation in the Final Presentation that happened a month later.
I'm 100% the treehouse thing will be just like at E3 and focus on the newly revealed characters.
Eh, fair enough, I can see your point.
I suggest you guys get your DLC newcomer predictions ready before the direct starts, because there is the chance we might get DLC announced with packs of newcomers announced.
Hot take: we're gonna get seasons this time a la other fighting games.
Don't know which characters we'll get, but they'll all come out over the span of a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Can we all make a deal?

TeamReal: Be happy, celebrate, and maybe do some (well intentioned) teasing of people on TeamFake.

That would be the best outcome from both situations.

D

Deleted member

One small thing I hope they show is the chronicle from brawl making a return. It really cemented smash as a celebration of Nintendo and games, and it was lovely seeing so many obscure games get mentioned. Stickers coming back would also be cool as a way to visually represent the games.

I guess I just like obscure things.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And, it's important to note that Nintendo never rushes their directs. They often spend overly long amounts of time on basic details that we aren't even thinking about right now. It's certainly possible that they could choose to overload us with exciting character trailers, but that's typically not their style.

I genuinely hope a large portion of the direct is dedicated to how their online modes will work, and that it's not just like Smash 4 again. That system could really use some major improvements.
DID YOU KNOW?
IKE HAS TWO DIFFERENT VOICES FOR HIS APPEARANCES!

"Prepare yourself."
"Prepare youtself."

D

Deleted member

Direct Predictions:
  • Starts off with an Incineroar reveal
  • Sakurai goes into detail and explains the new Pokemon stage
  • Other 2 unrevealed stages(Yoshi's Crafted World and Minecraft)
  • Shows off K.Rool and Isabelle in detail
  • Echo Fighter time: Ken+Shadow
  • Spirits Mode showcase
  • Boss montage
  • Online Modes presented as a stealthy "yes we fixed it"
  • Updated For Glory has Omega and Battlefield forms
  • New mode where you can set custom rules and stages against strangers and find others using the same settings.
  • Assist Trophy and Poke Balls returning alongside some new faces
  • Trophies are shown
  • Unlocking methods for fighters are explained
  • "Take a look at our final new character"
  • Geno+Mario RPG stage
  • "Thank you bla bla bla and one more thing before we go"
  • DLC character announced, free for those with Nintendo Online
  • Oh yeah and an EShop demo too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom