• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if this has been asked already, but what would y'all do by the day the direct airs? I don't have school for the rest of the week, and I don't really have much to do so I'll probably be wasting time watching tiktok cringe compilations or some ****.
Playing the demo of course. :4pacman:

The same way they all knew about a Direct first of November.

Information slowly goes down in the Pyramids of importance as the release date is close.
From director, to developer, sound design team, playtester, to tester, to translator, to marketing, website management, to journalist etc etc etc...

That's like...

So close of the release date, there is high chance that some gaming journalist knows exactly the roster.
Direct dates are very much different than the Smash roster. It’s very apparent they treat dates very loosely.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
If the leak turns out to be fake

I really want Hades or Medusa from the Kid Icarus series and Impa or Midna from Zelda series for Smash.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I wouldn't start rubbing this in other people's faces just yet. You're gonna look like a complete idiot if you act cocky and smug about this only to end up wrong in the end.
Not like the other side isn't guilty of the same ****.

I say let people have their fun. If they're willing to put their e-dignity on the line for some bragging rights, have at it. It's part of the show.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Mach Rider will indeed be sad for me if they're not playable. I don't believe they've ever had a role in Smash Brothers have they?

Maybe if they are an AT, Sakurai is just doing a babysteps approach like some other characters before them.

Granted Duck Hunt skipped all of that and just went straight to playable status.
As sad as it is, there will be non-playable characters in the game. It would be ideal if fans made peace with that but I guess not. Still, it took people 17 years and a cool name to realize clones aren't the bane of the earth so there still might be hope.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
"Reliable Nintendo tipster Emily Rogers"

:joyful:

I mean, I know being an insider you're in an echo chamber as well (so are fans, let's not kid ourselves), but that... Oh my. My sides.
The best part is, Emily LITERALLY did that this morning by copying word for word Mystics claims. I wonder if she even knew that he took back those claims lmao

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1057114701384085504?s=20

Read his whole comment chain. He even makes the point to NOT 100% BLINDLY TRUST HIM. Serious respect for the guy for being the one Insider who can admit he doesn't know if his sources are lying to him.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
nah its good fam lol Its a bit hard for others to see him as a fighter if they didnt play the games, Its pretty understandable. I think the main reason why Phoenix Wright odd Choice was because you don't normally see an attorney kicking people's *** and you normally don't see a professor kicking people's ***** either but in the games he kicks plenty of it

The demand for Layton did surprise me when the ballot was announced lol. Welp I guess I won't give up hope just yet. Hopefully DLC we'll be golden if he isn't in the base game
Yeah, attorneys don't kick, they suck blood. I played plenty of Layton games (not all of them), I think he fought with a sword... but, err,.. don't we have like a ton of sword fighters already?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If the leak is ruled fake Thursday, am I the only one going to be most sad about losing Mach Rider? I have a soft-spot for retro characters, and the whole concept and background surrounding Mach Rider really excited me more than anyone else leaked. What is this timeline??
I can see how you feel about that. Isaac's not exactly relevant either, and he's the last major Nintendo character I'd really want, since ARMS stuff is probably DLC or something.

That said, if fake, Banjo I think would be the biggest loss, taking my bias aside. Many people grew up with those games and all that.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So with the direct incoming, how about some movie watching victories?

If Team Real is correct, then Team Fake has to watch all 3 Grinch films, starting with the newest and working backwards to the classic.

If Team Fake is correct, Team Real has to watch the live action Cat in the Hat film.

If both are wrong, then both teams watch the live action Grinch and Cat films. On Blu-Ray.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
rekt

Anyway, besides that guy the majority of the insiders are against the leak.

So, will be see
At least I'm giving some credit to Spawn Whatelse-dude seeing his CV, but most of those insiders got a massive collection of fails to be considered as gospel. And who knows, maybe a lot of them are just piggybacking and only a few truly knows about the leak. I'm not in Real-Fake sides, but claiming about something being fake with such tracklist is very funny.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Team Real is correct, then Team Fake has to watch all 3 Grinch films, starting with the newest and working backwards to the classic.

If Team Fake is correct, Team Real has to watch the live action Cat in the Hat film.

If both are wrong, then both teams watch the live action Grinch and Cat films. On Blu-Ray.
Ok.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm seeing some early victory celebrations on both sides of the Grinch leak.

I wouldn't start rubbing this in other people's faces just yet. You're gonna look like a complete idiot if you act cocky and smug about this only to end up wrong in the end.
Which is why I'm not celebrating just yet (I am for a Smash Direct, though). I'm not as stubborn and arrogant to believe I know all of the contents of a highly secretive and massive game...

Oh...

One thing fans and insiders should be able to agree on--nothing's confirmed until it's confirmed. It's one fun thing Sakurai gets to do, so lets not take that away from him.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Welp...it's noon and I'm yet to have slept. So, I think I'll sign off for now and come back later tonight to catch up. You all stay civil now.

D

Deleted member

Either they have it on high order from Nintendo to downplay/say the leak is fake, or they're just being colossal ***holes about it. I have no idea why the insider crew is so vehemently shutting down a fanfavorite leak, unless it's because its tied to 4chan.

EDIT: It's the equivalent of a leak saying that Banjo Threeie is coming out next week, and people saying "lol no wronggggg wronggg wroooooong emoji emoji emoji"
Yeah, that's what peeves me most about it. It's like, why are you going so far out of your way to shut down people's hopes and dreams and speculation. Even if you were sure it was fake, you don't have to be such a massive asshole about it like all these people have been. Let people have their fun speculating whatever they want, but for them, it became more of an ego bout, where being right was all that mattered to them, and they attacked and put down anyone that disagreed with them. That's why, if the leak does turn out to be real, I'm simply not gonna just "let it go" with them. Not without some sort of apology for their behaviour.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Can you believe that a mere 7 months ago, we didn't even know what this game was going to be called? Now here we are, having braved this stressful 2 months, about to finally know most of what this game offers. What a wild ride this is. Good luck to all the hopefuls waiting for their character!

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm still going to go 50/50 for Thursday, there is as much chance that the leak is real that it is wrong.

I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best is what I am sayin', don't put all of your money into one camp, or you regret it, probably.

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
The 'Final' direct on 11/1, alright then. Guess it will not be 2 directs. If the banner leak is right, and we get a 'trailer' for each new, non-echo, character, we're looking at 5 trailers Max. It'll be a 40 minute direct, too; sweet.

10am eastern, must remember this. Gonna be an awesome Thursday! Gonna predict the breakdown again and because I'm bored, I'll do a breakdown for both scenarios: Banner leak (Geno, Issac, Banjo, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids) is real and KenCineroar (Incineroar, Ken, 'unknown' Square Character) is real

'Banner Leak is Real' Direct
Immediate start with a trailer (Issac reveal)
Explain the character. Shows off more gameplay while going over what's unique about them
Talking about the history of the character (and their game) and how they have been requested for a long time
Introduce/Explain 'Spirits' mode to us finally
Spirits mode explanation will probably be a bulk of the Direct
Talk about having to fine-tine and make sure it was perfect, then using that talking point, segue into...

2nd Trailer showing Chorus Kids & Geno.
Talk about how he wanted them before, but couldn't quite pull it off, so Geno ended up being a Costume and Chorus kids were cut from the previous game
Explain their moves; what's unique about them

Moves to talking about all the third party characters in the game
Shows off Ken and Shadow as they introduce two more echo characters who are 3rd party that people have wanted
Speaking of 3rd party characters fans have wanted...

3rd Trailer showing Banjo Kazooie
Showing off how they differ from the other 'partner' character, Duck-Hunt Dog
Talk about having worked with Rare to make this happen and how it came about; where inspiration for moveset came from
Thank everyone for watching and for all the support over the years.
Stay tuned for one final announcement...

Trailer 4 (Mach Rider)
Gameplay shown after trailer; no explanation afterwards. Direct ends with reminder of release date.

'KenCineroar Leak' Direct
Trailer for Incineroar
Gameplay shown afterward; showing off wrestling-type moves and attacks; more grabs than any other character
Shows off Final Smash and the inspiration for it (his personal Z move from Sun/Moon)
Incineroar is punishing Ryu, before he's pushed back by a character just off-screen; camera pans out to show Ken

Ken is shown off and gameplay for him is shown. He's an Echo of Ryu, with the color of his moves different and the input being a little different. His attacks have been given a 'fire' element to them; making stand out from Ryu
Sakurai talks about all the Echoes and the third parties they've partnered with to make all this happen and how many from each franchise have characters since Smash for Wii U. He mentions there still being one more unrevealed 3rd party, so stay tuned.

The menu screen is shown and the previously blurred out section is brought to focus as 'Spirits' mode is finally revealed
They explain the mode; what it entails, and its different features
Other features/modes not already mentioned are explained in depth as well as how they differ from past iterations
More online functionality is shown with the different modes

Returns to talk of 3rd party and that they've been working closely with a certain company so a very special character can finally make his Smash brothers debut...

Trailer 2 for Geno (or whomever the Square character ends up being; Chrono, Sora, Sephiroth; whatever)
Gameplay for the character is shown and explained in depth
Sakurai thanks everyone for their devotion and how much time it took to complete this game; all the love they put into this to truly make it the most 'Special/Ultimate' of Smash Brothers games. Direct ends with a reminder of release date.
The problem with the first one is it doesn't talk about anything that's in Games & More (All Star?, Stadium?), in Vault (Trophies?) or in Online, all things we know almost nothing about.

D

Deleted member

Troll the Insiders/shills if the leak is real, not the teams.

But seriously, troll the ever-loving **** out of them.
Or how about don't do that.

Because that's petty and honestly super immature.

Wambo

Smash Ace
There has been like 30 people coming out saying they think the leak is fake even though Sakurai has made it very clear he's trying his hardest to keep it a secret. So why would dozens on dozens insiders suddenly have known the roster, some even stating they knew all the way back in August?
^ Very much this.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
And here's where it all ends. 40 minutes of non-stop Smash Bros. information.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Try to tame your expectations. This Direct is going to cause the community to explode, and only time will tell if its out of joy or rage. In short, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

That said, a 40 minute Smash Direct is pretty shocking. With that much time, there's no stone that'll remain unturned. I'm expecting the last of the newcomers, complete coverage of Spirits mode, coverage of online and other offline modes, maybe even the last of the Assist Trophies and Pokemon, and possibly a DLC tease.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Direct dates are very much different than the Smash roster. It’s very apparent they treat dates very loosely.
Not really.
I can tell you for a fact that Nintendo and others companies share information on upcoming direct/ information about their game to some gaming website two to three days before officially announcing stuff to make sure they can logistically prepare to the numbers of news to write, video and pictures to upload.

Yes, kinda like a "pre" press kit-

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, attorneys don't kick, they suck blood. I played plenty of Layton games (not all of them), I think he fought with a sword... but, err,.. don't we have like a ton of sword fighters already?
He's got a coin gun too. I think he uses a pipe in place of a sword too.

I am so ready for this speculation cycle to be over.
It will be soon. And then the salt can take over for a few days and then we set ourselves free and wait for the game to come out.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
I'm still going to go 50/50 for Thursday, there is as much chance that the leak is real that it is wrong.

I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best is what I am sayin', don't put all of your money into one camp, or you regret it, probably.
Well... personally im not really into the newcomers of the Grinch Leak, so i will be fine if they get deconfirmed

Thanks for your concern tho

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice
I'm on team real for the banner leak. However, Thursday will prove me either right or wrong. It's weird that every "insider" is so confident about Incineroar though. It could be possible that the banner leak is real but was a print before Incineroar was added, just speculation on my part. It would be hilarious if that was the case to open the direct with Incineroar and then reveal the other seven characters throughout the Direct. Although, in my opinion, the seven from the banner would be dream roster for me.

domriver

Smash Lord
The 'Final' direct on 11/1, alright then. Guess it will not be 2 directs. If the banner leak is right, and we get a 'trailer' for each new, non-echo, character, we're looking at 5 trailers Max. It'll be a 40 minute direct, too; sweet.

10am eastern, must remember this. Gonna be an awesome Thursday! Gonna predict the breakdown again and because I'm bored, I'll do a breakdown for both scenarios: Banner leak (Geno, Issac, Banjo, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids) is real and KenCineroar (Incineroar, Ken, 'unknown' Square Character) is real

'Banner Leak is Real' Direct
Immediate start with a trailer (Issac reveal)
Explain the character. Shows off more gameplay while going over what's unique about them
Talking about the history of the character (and their game) and how they have been requested for a long time
Introduce/Explain 'Spirits' mode to us finally
Spirits mode explanation will probably be a bulk of the Direct
Talk about having to fine-tine and make sure it was perfect, then using that talking point, segue into...

2nd Trailer showing Chorus Kids & Geno.
Talk about how he wanted them before, but couldn't quite pull it off, so Geno ended up being a Costume and Chorus kids were cut from the previous game
Explain their moves; what's unique about them

Moves to talking about all the third party characters in the game
Shows off Ken and Shadow as they introduce two more echo characters who are 3rd party that people have wanted
Speaking of 3rd party characters fans have wanted...

3rd Trailer showing Banjo Kazooie
Showing off how they differ from the other 'partner' character, Duck-Hunt Dog
Talk about having worked with Rare to make this happen and how it came about; where inspiration for moveset came from
Thank everyone for watching and for all the support over the years.
Stay tuned for one final announcement...

Trailer 4 (Mach Rider)
Gameplay shown after trailer; no explanation afterwards. Direct ends with reminder of release date.

'KenCineroar Leak' Direct
Trailer for Incineroar
Gameplay shown afterward; showing off wrestling-type moves and attacks; more grabs than any other character
Shows off Final Smash and the inspiration for it (his personal Z move from Sun/Moon)
Incineroar is punishing Ryu, before he's pushed back by a character just off-screen; camera pans out to show Ken

Ken is shown off and gameplay for him is shown. He's an Echo of Ryu, with the color of his moves different and the input being a little different. His attacks have been given a 'fire' element to them; making stand out from Ryu
Sakurai talks about all the Echoes and the third parties they've partnered with to make all this happen and how many from each franchise have characters since Smash for Wii U. He mentions there still being one more unrevealed 3rd party, so stay tuned.

The menu screen is shown and the previously blurred out section is brought to focus as 'Spirits' mode is finally revealed
They explain the mode; what it entails, and its different features
Other features/modes not already mentioned are explained in depth as well as how they differ from past iterations
More online functionality is shown with the different modes

Returns to talk of 3rd party and that they've been working closely with a certain company so a very special character can finally make his Smash brothers debut...

Trailer 2 for Geno (or whomever the Square character ends up being; Chrono, Sora, Sephiroth; whatever)
Gameplay for the character is shown and explained in depth
Sakurai thanks everyone for their devotion and how much time it took to complete this game; all the love they put into this to truly make it the most 'Special/Ultimate' of Smash Brothers games. Direct ends with a reminder of release date.
You more than likely nailed it. this is what im more or less expecting. Thursday :DDDDDDDDDDDD

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Lets go #TeamReal with Medusa and Incineroar as upcoming dlc.

Lets get Isaac in Super Smash Bros Ultimate so I can add Saturos to my wishlist for Smash 6.

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH

oops.png

a fate worse than death

You know what would be amazing? If the Direct opens with a massive trailer in the vain of the first Brawl trailer: multiple characters in one massive trailer:

https://youtu.be/PbetJKOQB7k

I say massive, but outside of Snakes extended reveal 4 characters were revealed in 1 minute and 30 seconds. This hasn't been the reveal like this for awhile, but if they really are holding back 7 characters as a suprise I could see them opening like this. ("Oh you guys thought we only had a few characters left...:evil:") The remaining first party character back to back, with big emphasis on 3rd party characters like Snakes extended portion of the end of the trailer. To be honest, if the Grinch leak is real I could see Geno introduced in the first party calvacade and Banjo-Kazooie getting the emphasis at the end simply because Geno is a part of an existing franchise; people not in the know are going to just see another Mario character and not the massive undertaking it took to get him there.

Even still, if they pepper character announcement with other news like they've traditionally been doing for the last couple game with each non-echo character getting a 2 minute trailer that's still only 10 minutes of the Direct

All that said, I'm still trying to keep expectations really low and I think all of you should do the same. I think the Grinch Leak is too complicated to not be real personally, but the circumstances surrounding it are also to bizarre to not temper expectations considerably.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Well guys. In Nintendo's latest press conference, President Shuntaro Furukawa said that Nintendo will focus more on DLC for their major games.

My God we're going to get A LOT of DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom