• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Either way, are you going to criticize me over a silly thing, or mistake, on a silly subject? I said I did not mean any harm to begin with. I wasn't really trying to call some one out as much as I was trying to make a point about why we should be careful when posting things, whether or not others can't be controlled. I was trying to be focusing more on this silly war, and how I thought it could have been avoided. What I thought. That is it. It would have been best to ignore what I said if you guys did not like what I said. That is always the mature way to go, ya know.
Your logic is a two way street. The most mature way for you to address the tongue gif and the thread's response to it, which you clearly didn't like, would be to ignore it, but you didn't, you made a post about it calling out Swamp.

Practice what you preach, if you can't do that, you have no right to be telling people how to be 'mature'.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I think Spirits, if that's what it is, which it probably is, will be sort of like an SSE-lite. I don't think we'll get the fully rendered cutscenes and stuff, but I do think it'll be on a larger scale than the Melee Adventure mode, which I'm hoping it does take some cues from.

I think boss battles will be involved in this, and my off the wall prediction further is that bosses will occasionally appear in Classic mode for some characters, if you meet certain conditions. Such as, finish a particular stage in less than 30 seconds as Simon and then Dracula will show up, possibly replacing Master Hand? Or maybe just before him. Or even after.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm really loving the look of Donkey Kong in this game. It's crazy how a simple change in expression can make a character seem new and refreshed.

NineS

Smash Lord
All right. Enough talking about the community. I've stayed off-topic for long enough. What are your guys's hopes for "Spirits" mode?
View attachment 173579
If it's anything like Subspace Emissary, or Melee's Adventure mode...

The ability for Kirby, Dedede, and Yoshi to actually eat their enemies. In Kirby's case, possibly copy abilities of the NPC enemies.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Not to knock on 3D modelers, but yes, that is more intricate than creating a Rayman model.

You also forget that it was printed on promotional firm paper using a specialized machine.
We can barely tell what the banner looks like, how the hell can you figure out what type of paper it is and what machine made it?

This banner has, on art alone:

- 7 unique art assets not found anywhere else
It's too blurry to tell if these are unique renders. Plus, someone has recreated at least one of the renders on their own.

- All 7 fit into the odd artstyle the banner has, from what we can see
again, too blurry to tell. Plus, a lot of people (myself included) think Shadow and the Chorus Kids look really out-of-place and more like their original art styles.

- All 7 are seamlessly added to the banner, but displace nearly all of the characters around them, who further displace every other character around them, like a ripple effect. There are hundreds of these changes all over the banner, and this has been verified by many other people.
we don't know if it's "seamless" because of the quality, though it's definitely possible with photoshop.

- Many displaced characters revealed new art,
We already have a full version of the background from E3, and there are quite a few inconsistencies with the blank background in the leak that all happen to be in places where characters were before.

and moved several characters to completely different locations in the end.
I don't see how this proves anything tbh, the distance a character gets moved shouldn't really matter, since you'd need to do the same thing to move it regardless.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but even professional photoshoppers can't replicate it. We had one on Reddit, and after 10 hours he had to stop because he could not grasp it being fake. He himself had too many glaring flaws.
There are multiple people who know about graphic design ITT who say the banner could be faked.

You need actual assets to move these characters seamlessly across the banner.
Again, we don't know if it's seamless. The picture is conveniently too blurry to show any possible flaws. Plus I have no idea if what you said was right or wrong.

Additionally, there's also the question of why the leaker would ever spend the time doing all of those minute, subtle changes when all he was doing was faking it for fun.
Like I said, people waste a ton of time doing stupid things. Even and especially people with a lot of potential.

In addition to all the things you say could just be rused, not to mention the insanity that the supposed fake leaker would have to express for doing such a thing like impersonating an employee, which is highly ****ing illegal.
If people are willing to risk their entire livelihood for their 15 minutes of fame, I don't doubt someone would risk jail time just to screw with people. Plus, a lot of people think that doing something on the internet means there are no consequences. The guy might've just thought no one was gonna come after them. Or they could just be a douchebag, since the leaker could be from 4chan or even the Rosalina Scalper.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Okay, this is as far as it goes. Any further bickering on the topic of leaks, insiders, and/or Team Whatever will not be tolerated. It is fast becoming apparent that it is a point of contention among you all and cannot be discussed civilly. I highly recommend switching topics or this thread will be locked until further notice.

Smooth Criminal
I agree. Let's talk about Waluigi instead. How hype would people be if Sakurai just tweeted a pic of the smash logo but it was purple?? That possibility is what gets me up every day.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
While at it, can Leak Discussion thread be opened for once as purpose to discuss some leak there? That way, we won't plug this thread with more arguments about the leaks.
I second this. It would be better to discuss leaks in the other thread.

To stay on topic, what other features would you guys want in Smash that haven't been discussed already? Imagine a battle royale mode...

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
If it's anything like Subspace Emissary, or Melee's Adventure mode...

The ability for Kirby, Dedede, and Yoshi to actually eat their enemies. In Kirby's case, possibly copy abilities of the NPC enemies.
ReDead Kirby sounds terrifying.

But Koopa Kirby sounds really cute.

Phew, that was a rollercoaster.

Polan

Smash Lord
Okay, this is as far as it goes. Any further bickering on the topic of leaks, insiders, and/or Team Whatever will not be tolerated. It is fast becoming apparent that it is a point of contention among you all and cannot be discussed civilly. I highly recommend switching topics or this thread will be locked until further notice.

Smooth Criminal
so we're not allowed to talk about the leak anymore?
What is immortal cannot die.
ackshually immortals can still die by other causes but whatever.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Now that people will get flamed for "discussing" the Grinch pic, I figured it's a good time to repost this:

You know what'd be cool? If for DLC, the Smash Ultimate team released themed "waves" of content.

For example, since Japan loves Kirby so much, there could be a wave of Kirby content, like a couple of new characters, a new stage or two, etc. It would continue with other series, like Old School Fire Emblem wave, where we'd get FE characters that aren't just from the latest entries (i.e. Caeda, Seliph, Lyn if they feel like upgrading her from AT status, etc.); DK Wave, where the last few DK characters anyone cares about like Dixie, Cranky, and Funky; Metroid Wave where there are no newcomers but we get new stages that aren't lava or acid themed; Xenoblade Wave where if this leak is real then they'd add Elma and Rex / Pyra / Mythra to the game. Stuff like that.

I honestly don't see the Smash Ultimate team not doing DLC after launch, and since there aren't any veterans to depend on for future updates, this could be a nice way of bringing this already great game even closer to "dream roster" status that it's already clearly striving towards, as well as to directly address complaints about certain series being allegedly neglected in Smash on certain aspects. I'm pretty sure there'd be additional third-party content as well, like a Resident Evil character for example, as well as stuff from Nintendo games released after the initial Smash Ultimate project plan was finalized like an ARMS character.

I know people care more about proof that anything is happening than just random spitballing like I'm doing right now, but it's still fun.
Anyone wanna contribute?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Moving on... I'm still wondering about the fate of Phosphora. I know I said it many times before, and mentioned she and Magnus as well as some other ATs with voices may need updated voices (this may be true if they can be KO'd), but I just keep thinking about it as the days go by. I'd probably be more settled if we got a Kid Icarus song on that blog, but the only new thing that Ult gave us for KI was a buffed up Pit, a few of Palu's moves being moved around a bit, and that Insight Staff.

As for why I don't discuss Magnus much, it's mostly because I'm not really fond of him, and I really don't see him playable at all. At least with Phosphora, she could bring something different to the table, and we've seen more of her moves and abilities as opposed to him.
Anyways, I hope my answer will show itself soon, and I'll definitely be a happy one if she ever becomes playable.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
God...look at this thread...
I must’ve been dumb enough to to believe that a thread would be a fresh start.

As a hopeful member of Team Real, both sides are being sh*tty.

Man, I miss the silly Grinch memes where people were having rational debates over the credibly until this leak transformed it into a war zone where everyone is at each other’s throats and spouting childish insults.

Why is so hard for you people to CALM. DOWN?
It's all just a big part of what I'll be calling "the Fandom Paradox" (I made up that name on the spot, by the way). This is a phenomenon happens literally any time a new Smash enters development. Back in the days of Brawl, the fans were up in arms about Mewtwo's removal and apparently being replaced by Lucario, despite there being no evidence that points towards this being the truth. They were also warring over the likes of ROB and Toon Link to a lesser extent, so it can be assumed that this was one of the quiter examples of Smash fandom warfare.

To provide a better, more dynamic example, the Paradox fluctuated all throughout the lifespan of the Wii U and 3DS games, with such characters as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and the original Echo Fighters joining the roster and subsequently resulting in fans warring over whether or not they were good characters, and if there were even more characters that deserved to be playable more than those we received. It reached its peak in the home stretch of the DLC, which featured Cloud (warred over due to Playstation history), Corrin (the 6th Fire Emblem hero), and Bayonetta (the Brawl Meta Knight of U/3DS), which completely threw the fandom into a frenzy of rage and warfare against one another.

Now, the paradox had shown up for Ultimate the moment Waluigi was revealed to be an Assist Trophy yet again, with fans taking sides on whether or not he's likable, silly, and imaginative enough to receive a spot on the roster, or if the fans who desire him are dishonest (and) wads who are only backing him for the sake of memes (you can find whole tar pits of both across Twitter, on Nintendo news articles about Waluigi in general, etc.). Now we have it showing up again for the Grinch, with fans starting off silly and goofy, but ultimately devolving into warlike factions comparable to the great Tumblr raid on 4Chan in 2014.

This is entirely normal for the fanbase to experience: something major happens like a character reveal or game-changing leak, and they ultimately become savage and start to deride anybody that disagrees with them. As far as I'm concerned, the best we can do if we don't desire such vitriol is to just ignore it and move on with our Smashing without anybody forcing us to play or support their favorites. At least, that's the best I can think of, if anyone's got a better idea, let's hear it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think one major thing you have to consider when discussing DLC is when the game is coming out in the console's lifespan.

Ultimate is coming out about 21 months into the Switch's lifespan. Smash 4 came out about 42 months into the 3DS' lifespan and 24 months into the Wii U's lifespan.

For the Wii U, the game came out almost halfway through the console's lifespan.

Two things we have to keep in mind:
1. It's going to be out relatively early in the Switch's lifespan (since the Switch has been a MAJOR success compared to the Wii U).
2. Considering the 3DS is dying and 2019 will likely be its final year, Nintendo would solely focus on the Switch, unless they announce another console (which would be kinda weird since the Switch is a home/portable hybrid)

Smash 4 got 7 DLC characters over about 1.5 years in the second half of the Wii U's lifespan.

With all of this in mind, I could see this game getting A LOT of DLC over a few years, especially since the Smash community will probably support the game for many years.

This is not the same situation as Smash 4, Sakurai has PLENTY of time to stick in as many characters as possible over however long he wants to. He doesn't have any restrictions with the 3DS and doesn't have to develop everything for 2 very different consoles.

And since this is the ULTIMATE iteration of Smash, I think he'll go all out to make a final game that will be remembered as one of the biggest crossovers in entertainment history.

But that's just a theory...

A GAME THEORY!
Sorry I had to do that.
Another thing to note, however.

The development team for Smash 4 never really split up. This is a first for Smash, as Nintendo chose to keep the majority of their team together for another Smash immediately after, splitting their work between DLC for their current games and forward progress toward a new Smash for their next console. The writing was on the wall for the Wii U, and Nintendo knew this. For the first time in Smash's history, it was released on a dead console walking (in the Wii U's case, anyway), and so the developers didn't go off on their separate ways as they usually do.

The high amount of DLC was likely derived directly from this decision. Work could be done on characters that could also be used in the upcoming Switch game, thus avoiding wasted work for the development team. It's just an efficient use of resources. Since we can assume that the Switch won't suddenly catch typhoid fever and die prematurely, this process likely won't happen again after this Smash is released. They have no reason to keep this team together for another Smash immediately after.

So the question is: did enough people buy the Smash 4 DLC to make it lucrative enough to keep a small team together for post-launch content this time around? Or was the DLC boon for Smash 4 just a direct result of Ultimate's existence? I have absolutely no doubt we'll see some form of DLC for Ultimate, but I do believe it's dangerous to assume Ultimate will see the same amount of DLC as Smash 4 due to the two games' very different post-launch circumstances. They might not have the motivation to keep a team together long enough to produce new content for "years". Plus, this could all be moot if Sakurai doesn't want to work on more content after producing his "Ultimate" game. He could move onto any project he wants after nearly seven straight years of directing Smash.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Ok, here’s a non-leak discussion topic:

Is there a character that you wanted previously and probably had a shot in appearing but due to reasons, it never happened for one reason or another?

For me, anime Meowth would had been a better Pokemon rep thank Jigglypuff. It would of been awesome to had him in 64.
Daddy Magnus was the Kid Icarus newcomer I wanted, but instead of the badass DILF with the deep tragic backstory that was unfortunately barely explored, we got Sakurai's waifu and OC (though I did like DP in the game and I think he could make an interesting non-echo). Also Groose, easily my favorite Zelda character of all time. He had an inkling of a chance when his game was relevant, but now there's no way.

Real or not, Fake or not, Silent or not

The fact is the Paper Mario stage is now on the console game stage list, meaning it will get so much more songs than the Paper Mario Medley and the Dream Team song.

Bring on the Koopa Bros, Rawk Hawk, Lineland Road, and General Guy songs/remixes.

We could finally get the best Bowser theme!

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Ahhh, thinking about bosses in the last post kinda got my juices flowing. I've noticed the two we've seen so far are third party, which gives me a lot of hope we might get some real classic villains. Imagine fighting a Dr. Wily or Dr. Robotnik robot, I'd be so down for that... Hell, imagine fighting the Hind! I wonder if it's just because a lot of iconic boss/villain characters from Nintendo games are already on the roster that they might be inclined to look to third parties for bosses?

Honestly, I'd REALLY dig if they just brought back all of the Brawl bosses straight up. Except the Ridleys, of course, but boss battles as a concept is something I hope they go super hard on. It has a lot of potential as fun 1P content imo.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
Not sure why people are so hostile about this. I think it's real because that's what the evidence leads me to, but am open to it being fake with the right evidence. I'm just looking to find the roster, not to be right or cling onto theories just because I like them.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I think Spirits, if that's what it is, which it probably is, will be sort of like an SSE-lite. I don't think we'll get the fully rendered cutscenes and stuff, but I do think it'll be on a larger scale than the Melee Adventure mode, which I'm hoping it does take some cues from.

I think boss battles will be involved in this, and my off the wall prediction further is that bosses will occasionally appear in Classic mode for some characters, if you meet certain conditions. Such as, finish a particular stage in less than 30 seconds as Simon and then Dracula will show up, possibly replacing Master Hand? Or maybe just before him. Or even after.
Yeah, I'm predicting it might actually be along the lines of this.
It could either be a massive Great Cave Offensive styled mode, or something like Adventure Mode that could be played indefinitely with rotating "worlds" and bosses.

Either way, I'm really hoping that we get a lot of engaging bosses and stages from that, beyond the few we've seen so far.
Especially since Classic Mode is tailored to every individual character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What exactly happened to Mystic? Can someone fill me in, please? :)
For full context:

Mystic has given me a bit of extra info regarding what happened, but asked me not to share.

There is the potential of some of his info being bait, although I couldn't confirm this with him.

I will say though that calls were made to basically ruin his future career in the industry in any way possible.

Let me say first and foremost that this isn't really the fault of people who responded to him. The deed was pretty much done the moment he shared the info online.

A while ago he setup a PayPal for an unrelated reason. Apparently his roommates (which if I understand this correctly were actually close family members of his, which makes this extra ****ed up, trying to not go into too much detail) completely and intentionally ****ed him over and left him with mere days left before being forcibly evicted and left homeless.

So now, this whole smash situation is being added on to that.

If anyone can and wants to help him, his Paypal/Ko-Fi is here:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Anyway after all that arguing. Who would be your first DLC character you will support? (This is assuming if the grinch leak is real)
Me I would support Bandana dee he is my 2nd most wanted. I gotta show support for the spear boy :)
All I'd like is Tails, and even think he's a semi-realistic choice as long as Shadow's an echo. Knuckles becoming an AT, Shadow becoming an echo. Leaves that one Tails Mii costume on it's own that's kind of suspiciously there if he's simply still just a cameo & returning mii costume in the base game I feel like is an interesting possible path to it happening.

MainJPW

M.T.A
time to put ristar and ristara in smash
View attachment 173584
You mean Rooter and Viccy? The mascots from Sega Sammy Baseball Club?
Yeah, you can tell it’s Uekawa’s character designs. I guess they’re...from Ristar’s species?
No wait, I take it back. Give me Ristar. Sonic is a punk and needs to be put in his place.
Sonic stole Ristar’s gimmick in Unleashed so he’s got what’s coming to him.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Your logic is a two way street. The most mature way for you to address the tongue gif and the thread's response to it, which you clearly didn't like, would be to ignore it, but you didn't, you made a post about it calling out Swamp.

Practice what you preach, if you can't do that, you have no right to be telling people how to be 'mature'.
Like I said, the harm was unintentional, and I only did it because I thought there could have been a way to avoid all this. Plus, what I did doesn't change the fact that what I said can be ignored. Just like anything else. What is done is done, but that doesn't mean it had to be talked about to begin with. Ignoring something applies to anything in any order. There is no need for this silly discussion. Just let it go now, and walk away. Don't make any counter points to what I said. Just let it go.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Watch that this weeks direct doesn't even announce any characters and all it simply does is announce the release date for the final Smash Direct. Then that direct announces the actual final Smash Direct for the first week of December which will then eventually reveal the rest of the characters.

I'm so sadistic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom