• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Let's see...
Sakurai wanted to put Mach Rider in Melee, but he and the team couldn't figure out how to make it work. AT is the next best thing.
You can't put Banjo as an assistant trophy (AT), that's impossible.
Geno could be an AT, after all, characters like Waluigi and Shovel Knight are AT.
The Chorus Kids, are from a rhythm game, not easy to work with, if they don't work, they are AT.
Ken as an Echo Fighter sounds plausible since he the Luigi of Ryu.
Same thing with Shadow, though he is more like Daisy. Oh and let's not forget he was an AT before.
Isaac, maybe he's not as popular (I mean the games) as other Nintendo franchises, but he looks like an easy target for a character.
Incineroar, almost like Isaac, except Pokémon is a multimillionaire franchise. However maybe it's not the most popular Pokémon Sun & Moon character.
So... to sum up:
Chances of being playable
10%
20%
30% Mach Rider
40%
50% The Chorus Kids
60% Geno
70% Isaac, Incineroar
80% Shadow, Banjo
90% Ken
100%

What do ya think?
No way Banjo has a better shot at being playable than Geno and Isaac.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
But known from what source?

It was commonly known the Earth was flat a thousand years ago. Doesn't mean it was backed up by anything.
https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/1056486161940529153?s=19
Doesn't explicitly stated Smash, should have been more clear on that, but it confirms that's how Bamco has handled games like this already, so I'd argue that it's likely they did it for Smash, especially given Sakurai's comments on taking extra precautions to prevent leaks this time around.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
You can say that for every group of newcomers when it comes to their retro characters imo.
Eh not really, Wii Fitt and Duck Hunt at least shared a game, we got Ices with G&W, Pitt with Rob, normally we get at least a couple odd ball picks but this time it seems much more targeted

Last edited:

potato69

Smash Apprentice
I'm inclined to believe that the Chorus Kids are the supposed assist trophy, but the dude said he's sure they're likely playable in a dm, which somewhat contradicts his original statements. I don't know what to think anymore. This speculation period is exhausting as hell. Put me on #teamdehydrated, because I'm thirsty for actual news from Nintendo themselves.
(Remember to drink plenty of water, everyone.)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It was for Tekken.
It doesn't mean anything for Smash.
Thank you.

Yeah, different directors, different publishers. It doesn't mean anything for Smash. They could have done this again, but assuming that they did based on a pattern of exactly one previous occurrence is sloppy.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Are there any other Assist Trophies besides Gray Fox that were cut only to be brought back as assists?

Because the argument for Gray Fox doesn't really hold up due to the fact that everything Metal Gear related was wiped from Smash when 3DS and Wii U were being developed. Since Metal Gear is represented again, it would make sense to bring Gray Fox back too.

I just don't see that happening with Isaac.
Exactly. Gray Fox was removed because Snake was removed.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Every single insider says Incineroar is in...it's bizarre. I really wonder why Incineroar was not there on the mural even if it's fake.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I don’t recall him leaking anything big, Ryce sure. But idk about mystic enough
I'm concerned with Mystic because he's making very hefty claims. He claimed to have accomplishments, but I've yet to see them proven. I'm wondering if I missed that proof

D

Deleted member

Can I just say that isn't it absolutely mental that some people who probably still have interest in Smash have been waiting for Banjo-Kazooie for 17 years?
Think about that.

17. ****ing. Years.

Proof, from the official Japanese Melee "Fighter Ballot" page: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html

Banjo-Kazooie is #8. And still TO THIS DAY people vouch for these guys. People might say Ridley and King K. Rool were some of the longest-awaited characters, but I think for some people who've wanted Banjo in THIS long? Those 17 years are gonna be worth it.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
If we're talking about most likely to least likely this is how I see it.

Ken, Shadow, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Isaac, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie.

Echoes first as they're easy to implement and make sense.

Chorus Kids as they were most recently on Sakurai's mind.

Mach Rider, because there's always a Retro pick.

Isaac, despite his fan favourite status.

Geno, a third party, but they're already dealing with the company.

Banjo-Kazooie, my most wanted, but a third party from a company Nintendo aren't dealing with.

So to recap:

Ken/Shadow
Chorus Kids
Mach Rider
Isaac
Geno
BK

NineS

Smash Lord
Can I just say that isn't it absolutely mental that some people who probably still have interest in Smash have been waiting for Banjo-Kazooie for 17 years?
Think about that.

17. ****ing. Years.

Proof, from the official Japanese Melee "Fighter Ballot" page: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html

Banjo-Kazooie is #8. And still TO THIS DAY people vouch for these guys. People might say Ridley and King K. Rool were some of the longest-awaited characters, but I think for some people who've wanted Banjo in THIS long? Those 17 years are gonna be worth it.
You say that, but just try to imagine how bad it must be to be one of the many people that have been waiting for James Bond in Smash since Melee... They must be suffering.

Sakurai is one of those people.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I’m prepared for the leak being fake and accepting it.

What I’m not prepared for is the inevitable gloating from Team Fake who’ll reprimand those for setting their expections too high and such.
To be fair, either way there's going to be boasting from both sides.

If fake then: "You guys are so gullible... Shouldn't trust any leak... Set your expectations too high, your fault... etc..."

If real then: "You guys have no faith... You can put your tinfoil hats away now... Who looks like a fool now?... 'Photoshopped Little Mac' all over again... etc..."
(Remember to drink plenty of water, everyone.)
Screw water, I'll take a bottle of wine, this whole thing is a mess right now.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I don’t understand, how a fake leaker, with all these big IQ plays in his mural, would forget about the most speculated and “nearly confirmed by insiders” character in Incineroar.

Not saying it’s real, I’m just so confused about the thought process behind the grinch leaker if he was a fake.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Doesn't Sakurai typically take a great deal of pride and try to make the retro character a surprise each time?

See Duck Hunt being listed as ''They will be this game's surprise fighter." on the project plan.

So does it not stand to be logical that if he were to spread misinformation himself Mach Rider or anyone of that similar nature would be one of the few he'd want to protect the most?

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
You say that, but just try to imagine how bad it must be to be one of the many people that have been waiting for James Bond in Smash since Melee... They must be suffering.

Sakurai is one of those people.
To be fair, James Bond isn't even a video game character. Wanting him in Smash would be like wanting Goku.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/1056486161940529153?s=19
Doesn't explicitly stated Smash, should have been more clear on that, but it confirms that's how Bamco has handled games like this already, so I'd argue that it's likely they did it for Smash, especially given Sakurai's comments on taking extra precautions to prevent leaks this time around.
Assuming is very dangerous when speculating. I prefer to keep my sights set on things that require less assumptions of human behavior.

Bandai Namco is in a joint production with Sora to make Smash, and an unknown number of the Bandai Namco staff have previously worked on Tekken. That is what we know. We also know that Tekken 7 and Smash Bros. Ultimate are handled by different publishers, different directors and different marketers. Treating the assumption that Sakurai would naturally do the same thing a separate director did for Tekken 7 as an established fact isn't something I want to do.

But you guys go ahead.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don’t understand, how a fake leaker, with all these big IQ plays in his mural, would forget about the most speculated and “nearly confirmed by insiders” character in Incineroar.

Not saying it’s real, I’m just so confused about the thought process behind the grinch leaker if he was a fake.
It's bold in general even though I believe it to be fake myself personally. It's bold as hell they would have to choose to just leave a new Pokemon out of the mural all together.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Alright, so how many of y'all are in the boat where you're pretty sure your character isn't base game and are holding out for them as DLC and that's why it doesn't really matter who's in right off the bat?

That's how I am. I'm honestly gonna wait for Quote and Tails to POSSIBLY show up then as DLC. And if they don't ever, I won't complain lol.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Every single insider says Incineroar is in...it's bizarre. I really wonder why Incineroar was not there on the mural even if it's fake.
If it's fake, there's a very simple reason:

The faker didn't want Incineroar in the game.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so how many of y'all are in the boat where you're pretty sure your character isn't base game and are holding out for them as DLC and that's why it doesn't really matter who's in right off the bat?

That's how I am. I'm honestly gonna wait for Quote and Tails to POSSIBLY show up then as DLC. And if they don't ever, I won't complain lol.
I already am sure Skull Kid isn't base roster at this point unfortunately.

Definitely wanting him for DLC, but if he doesn't make it, I won't mind, we've got a TON of awesome characters. It'd just be amazing to finally get him playable.

Sweddy

Smash Rookie
Screw water, I'll take a bottle of wine, this whole thing is a mess right now.
Amen to this, I got a bunch of rum, wine, beer, and a whole bunch of food, carbo-loading to prepare for this direct!

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Correct me if I am wrong, but Geno is now in a "Not sure" state according to Mystic?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
What’s this based off of other than opinion?
My apologies. IMO: There’s no way Banjo has a better shot being playable than Geno or Isaac.

And no, I’m not trying to bash Banjo. He’s my second most wanted character and I think he’s got a chance because I still lean more towards this leak being real.

But Geno and Isaac have been huge fan requested characters like Banjo, but both have actually had a presence in Smash already and one of those characters is a second party character whereas the other is a Square character who Sakurai has worked with for the past few years now with Cloud’s inclusion. Sakurai hasn’t done anything with Microsoft yet. Not saying he can’t/won’t, but as of now he hasn’t so I’d say the other two have a better shot.

Last edited:

Akiak

Smash Ace
What if Mach Rider being an AT is just leak bait (when actually he's a character) and the banner is still real? :bigthink:

I just have a hard time calling the leak fake personally (although I think I trust Mystic)

cybersai

Smash Ace
You know before this leak people assumed there wouldn't be a retro NES character this time due to limited newcomers.

So I don't know why people are doubting Mach Rider could easily be the assist.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I swear if this banner does become (mostly) real and it's only off by poses and placements on the banner + Incineroar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom