• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
I think "leak" and "rumor" can be used interchangebly if the leak isn't yet proved to be true.
It's more like those people who used literally when they meant figuratively. However unlike then I refuse to let people start calling fake things leaks.

Calling it a leak gives it an air of authenticity which is wrong to do.

It's not language policing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we get the characters purportedly in via The Grinch, I won't be disappointed.

If we only get Ken and Incineroar, I won't be disappointed.

The only way I can be slightly disappointed is if the latter is true and Ken and Incineroar don't share a trailer titled "Pokémon Masters."

Fane

Smash Journeyman
If this isn't debunked after a week of it surfacing, I'm going to fully move to the legitimate side.

I'm kinda 70/30 on real/fake right now. It just has so many merits for it with such few inconsistencies, and the inconsistencies that are there are super minor.

I did see some good progress made on investigation today though.

Hoping we get some news soon, this leak is really making me antsy for info.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
It's more like those people who used literally when they meant figuratively. However unlike then I refuse to let people start calling fake things leaks.

It is literally language policing

(see what I did there?)

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman

You're saying you refuse to let people refer to things in a way you consider to have a connotation you disagree with.

That's literally language policing.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think "leak" and "rumor" can be used interchangebly if the leak isn't yet proved to be true.
I tend to use the word "leak" very loosely for images or other material released before they were supposed to be announced. Of course, the problem is we can never know for sure until it's announced. Hence the quotes--it can always wind up being a fake leak. Whereas rumors, as in the "rumor mill", are more verbal--he said, she said. We can never know a) who their sources are (which is a good thing) b) if they're making any assumptions based on that information and c) information hasn't been changed since their source knew about it. It's why I tend to, when all else is equal, put preference on visual "leaks" over rumors. As has been said, "One piece of evidence is worth more than 1000 expert opinions." I do think there is a good reason to make these distinctions, though, where we make these distinctions can be subjective.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
The whole leak/rumor/fake thing isn't really pertinent to discussion as long as everyone knows the meaning behind what you're saying.

It's just nitpicking.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

I wouldn't read too much into it. I nearly got flayed alive and called a horrible f'in person for trying to make peopule understand that there is no such thing as fourth party.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Alright! It's finally done!

Unfortunately I couldn't get each and everyone of you in this picture. I just randomly picked a bunch of users to draw. I wish I could make more fit.
However, the castle in the background is supposed to represent the board itself with everyone in it. So technically I did get everyone in this picture!

And now, without further ado, I give you...

drumroll...

THE SMASHBOARDS ANIME POSTER!!!
(it looks nothing like actual anime but I tried my best okay?).

The users in this image are Yours truly, @Luigi The President , Zinith Zinith , @ToasterBrains , Opossum Opossum , @lightdrago , @Mr. Wario , @Smashing Ramen , @Idon , @TotsBS , @Raspberry , @Tougon , @Zachmac , @papagenos , and @Pazzo. . I really wanted to get more users in this but hey, what can you do?
Oh hey I'm adorable lol. Great job on this though, seriously.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If we get the characters purportedly in via The Grinch, I won't be disappointed.

The only way I can be slightly disappointed is if the latter is true and Ken and Incineroar don't share a trailer titled "Pokémon Masters."
Why can't I like a post twice?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I’ll be disappointed if we only got Ken and a Pokémon due to the lack of Shadow

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I wouldn't read too much into it. I nearly got flayed alive and called a horrible f'in person for trying to make peopule understand that there is no such thing as fourth party.
But the fourth party is always the funnest party

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Honestly the only 3 characters that I have any reason to believe are in the game are: Ken, Shadow, and Isaac.

Ken simply because if any echo fighter is going to make it into Smash, it's the OG echo.

Shadow because his AT is still missing + he's the only 3rd party character to be an assist in multiple games. If he's not an assist, I see no reason why to cut him (unless he's DLC).

Isaac mainly because of the Ratholos pic and (possibly) the new Golden Sun item shown recently. In my opinion, he's the only newcomer from the banner "leak" that actually has anything pointing to his inclusion through OFFICIAL released content.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
A randomly incomplete version of the banner at a print-shop in France is even more dubious than the complete version of the banner at a print-shop in France.

But again, all of the circumstances surrounding the leak's existence as well as the details of the art composition are superseded by the higher-order evidence that we have been directly told multiple times by the director of the game that we will not be getting this number of new characters.
And when have we been told that? He's never specified numbers whatsoever.

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice

Sorry, I'm still impressed with The Chorus Kids, even with all the blurriness they are precious and they have that unique pose.
My inner Rhythm Heaven fan says this is real, but my other me says this is fake.
I'm dying to see the original image, just to overanalyze the art :laugh:
Did that art on the left exist before the leak?

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Can you quit with this language policing? It really adds absolutely nothing to the conversation to argue against the colloquial usage of a word with "but that's not the technical definition". We all know it's authenticity is being questioned, it's just shorter to say "leak" than "alleged leak" and "rumor" clearly has different connotations.
Exactly, it's just annoying. The majority of people refer to this as a leak so it's easiest to keep doing so until it's proved wrong.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If this isn't debunked after a week of it surfacing, I'm going to fully move to the legitimate side.
I'll be honest, While I think the "Test of time" was legitimate reasoning in the past, it is much less so now. We've had leaks that could have been around for ages this cycle if the creators didn't step up and say "It's fake"

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'll be okay if Boring White Dude from Street Fighter With a Banging Wife and Evil Bara Wrestle Flame Feline are all they we have left

but I'll side eye Sakuari so hard for making them the last reveals and people like the new third party character, Ridley, and K. Rool the first few reveals.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Y'all know that if this is fake I'm maining Incineroar under the tag 'Mr. Grinch' until the end of time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm more a fan of the second and third party myself. Better mini games and the third had sick duels.
The fourth party is the best though. Book Squirm, baby.

...Why has Smash never had a Mario Party stage?

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

Why is it "wrong" to do so?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I'm more a fan of the second and third party myself. Better mini games and the third had sick duels.
Yeah but

> In Mario Party 3, he is a playable character only in multiplayer mode, but he has been fully playable from the beginning in all other games that he appears in.

1540622131837.jpeg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't worry about the "exact words". It's irrelevant to the discussion and being silly over nothing. Yeah, people get the definitions wrong. But the important part is knowing what they mean. And it's clear what they mean when they say "leak".

Also, for others, please do not post media-only replies. Make sure to put out some context too.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Or in the spirit of Mario Party an item that's called just that, but it steals damage/stock from a person you select and gives it to another person of your choosing.

Now in Smash you can make your friends hate you as well!

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Y'all know that if this is fake I'm maining Incineroar under the tag 'Mr. Grinch' until the end of time.
I thought maining Donkey Kong named "GRINCH" with his green alt would be funny, but not for the same reason.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'll be okay if Boring White Dude from Street Fighter With a Banging Wife and Evil Bara Wrestle Flame Feline are all they we have left

but I'll side eye Sakuari so hard for making them the last reveals and people like the new third party character, Ridley, and K. Rool the first few reveals.
Pretty much this.

I can't complain about this game or any other lack thereof when it comes to unannounced newcomers. Ridley is pretty much the epitome of "Oh god this game is real it's happening" and then Castlevania and King K. Rool happened. Had the ESRB leak not happened for Smash 3DS/Wii U, Shulk would have garnered a similar response really IMO. He was pretty "WHOA!!" worthy, despite being leaked ahead of time.

If it's ending on Incineroar and Ken and Vergeben's sources were true the whole time? I'd question it. But. Also be happy for those that wanted 'em. Cause hey. I've got Cloud. And Sonic. My damn gamertag since 2009's been Kuraudo and I probably lucked out the hardest with the Smash 4 DLC. Holy moly.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Well that's one way to make a first post.
It's unlikely that anything big will be revealed in that tournament match.

That seriously does need to be stage just for the heck of it.

But I'd also ove a Mario party stage on a board with dice and spaces. Mario's Rainbow Castle, Toad's Midway Madness, Eternal Star, a title screen medley, and several minigame medley tracks as music.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Find me in the Nintenzone Social Thread Noi my boy! Also just shoot me a PM so we can talk about anything that comes to mind!
Will only be 2 weeks lads. 2 weeks free of Geno/Paper Mario posting from yours truly. A blessing in disguise really
They won't be spared from Geno posting.

That's my job now.
Damn I wanted the Geno rights.

I’ll happily speak all day about how we need paper mario in smash though.

**** that be a fantastic title.

We’ll played opossum well played...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom