• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I’m down for paying for totally unique newcomers, and even semiclones for DLC, but I can’t be the only one who thinks it’d be weird to charge $5 for an echo fighter.

In most case there’s barely any difference, and its just the model and animations, with some stat adjustments.
They’re nice as fans service and padding for the roster, but I don’t know if I’d really buy them.

Maybe $1 or $2, but I’m hoping they cost about half as much as a unique newcomer.

Best case scenario is that they give a few every now and then as free updates, but I know they won’t and that’s fine. Just make it like $2.
I'm not sure we're even getting echoes as DLC, I think it'll only happen if there's huge demand for one (which there'll definitely be if Shadow for some unexplainable reason isn't on the base roster).

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, it lets us speculate on DLC. Our front runners are now a Square Enix character that possibly isn't Geno and Dante.

**** me that sounds so odd, imagine being told that before Cloud was revealed
Dante is my new favourite Final Fantasy character.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
So, how do you feel about DLC? Will be for free as in Mario Tennis? Will cost money? Cheaper or more expensive than in WiiU? Echoes allowed? When it will start? Is everything decided by now? How long would be the time window?
Gotta say, about it, the theories about Smashdown are hot crap with DLC, just add one more fighter and using every character till the end will be imposible.

I think its very unlikely that they give us free characters in DLC.
Considering how cheap Nintendo was in smash 4... Announcing Mewtwo even before the launch, so lame.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So are you saying that they're gonna scrap his assist trophy?
No. Not really the same thing, but Mewtwo had a regular trophy in Smash 4’s base game. They just gave him a new “Smash” one when he came out as DLC.

They’ll either have Assist Waluigi just not be able to be summoned when you’re playing as Waluigi, or leave it the way it is and not care.

If they see a huge profit in Waluigi as DLC, they won’t say “oh well he’s an assist too bad.”
Hopefully the Waluigi outcry works like the K. Rool outcry did, in that Nintendo, thinking nobody cares about the character, will be surprised by the amount of fans and will start taking him seriously and putting him in more stuff (we’re definitley going to see more of K. Rool in general now).

Sorry for my long-winded near-run-on sentences.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm still holding out for Geno. I just really think his inclusion would cement this game as the Ultimate Smash. It would be a crowd-pleaser that could possibly dwarf even King K. Rool among the dedicated Smash Bros. fanbase.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I think they might go a Mewtwo route and make it so that if you have the Online you get the DLC characters for cheaper/free.

osby

Smash Obsessed
No. Not really the same thing, but Mewtwo had a regular trophy in Smash 4’s base game. They just gave him a new “Smash” one when he came out as DLC.

They’ll either have Assist Waluigi just not be able to be summoned when you’re playing as Waluigi, or leave it the way it is and not care.

If they see a huge profit in Waluigi as DLC, they won’t say “oh well he’s an assist too bad.”
Hopefully the Waluigi outcry works like the K. Rool outcry did, in that Nintendo, thinking nobody cares about the character, will be surprised by the amount of fans and will start taking him seriously and putting him in more stuff (we’re definitley going to see more of K. Rool in general now).

Sorry for my long-winded near-run-on sentences.
They just did the ballot, why the heck they would notice Waluigi has a fanbase only now?

Last edited:

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Dante is my new favourite Final Fantasy character.
HAHAHAHA

Thats reminds me of Final Fantasy """fans""" watching to Cloud trailer. Basically FFVII intro for half a ****ing minute whitout ringing a bell.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Just keep in mind, if Waluigi or any frequently wanted candidate ends up with just a Mii costume, it’s a sign of awareness.

It doesn’t confirm playability in the next installment (coughashelytailstakamaru) but still.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I mean, it lets us speculate on DLC. Our front runners are now a Square Enix character that possibly isn't Geno and Dante.

**** me that sounds so odd, imagine being told that before Cloud was revealed
Any evidence that Geno will not be a 2nd SE according to Verge? That seems interesting because Verge never clearly mention who is the next SE rep or even hinted at it...

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Any evidence that Geno will not be a 2nd SE according to Verge? That seems insteresting because Verge never mention who is the next SE rep.
Verge did say he had one source telling him who the SE rep was, but didn't want to say it himself until further confirmation, in fear of extreme backlash in the event his source was incorrect. Given that information I think it's extremely likely the source was telling him of Geno. Not to take a pot-shot at his fans.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So, how do you feel about DLC? Will be for free as in Mario Tennis? Will cost money? Cheaper or more expensive than in WiiU?
Definitley paid. Smash characters take a lot more time and effort than a Mario Tennis character.

Echoes allowed? When it will start? Is everything decided by now? How long would be the time window?
I say we’ll see our first DLC character by Spring. If not Spring, an announcement of the character(s) in a Spring Direct, then a surprise “They’re available now!” at E3.

Gotta say, about it, the theories about Smashdown are hot crap with DLC, just add one more fighter and using every character till the end will be imposible.
Actually I beg to differ.
We all know that if Incineroar and Ken are the last two newcomers, that leaves us with a Smashdown-perfect 72 slots.

If that’s how base-game ends up, I wouldn’t be surprised to see DLC take us to the next Smashdown-perfect number, 84.
Combining at least a year and a half’s worth of uniques and echoes, 12 characters sounds like a reasonable final number.

I’d reckon the breakdown will be...7 uniques and 5 echoes.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Why lol, having appeared in a Nintendo game is a pretty strict requirement. Don't think Dante has.
Cloud...

Also if Geno isn't in the base game he's a Mewtwo or like one of the DLC characters.

It'd be too weird if he wasn't any of these things.

If we’re talking dlc, I want dlc alts/skins. You know why. :p
With how busted SFV is with costumes I'd pay 30 bucks for at least everyone on the roster to have one.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
They just did the ballot, why the heck they would notice Waluigi has a fanbase only now?
Because the outcry for him after E3 was HUGE.

Believe me, I have no clue why all those people didn’t vote for him in the ballot, but amount of public outrage after he was confirmed as an assist again was nearly unprecedented.

The ****ing Washington Post made an article about it for Pete’s sake!

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Yep, Vergeben confirmed it. Ken and Incineroar are the last two characters.
It's a little more complicated then that, actually.

"The gen 7 Pokemon that isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, or obviously not Mimikyu is Incineroar.
I finally heard that it is Incineroar from all my main Smash sources so there you have it.

As for the roster, in the very least, Incineroar and Ken are left.
I've had people tagging me nonstop for the last day or two about the box theory, so I will address that.
I have been in contact with my sources about it. There's no confirmation as of this moment whether or not that will be it for the launch roster.

I guess I might as well end by saying that if you think this game won't be supported further after launch, well, that's not a smart assumption to make.
The Square Enix character that I heard about is an interesting exception in all of this when it comes to the box theory and my knowledge of there being a character of theirs comes from someone who's never had a habit of being wrong.
Even if that really is all for launch, it's not the end.

For the time being, it is a waiting game. They're going to contact me if they hear of any contradictions or information they can offer that confirms or denies the box theory."

Source.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Everyone is bummed about the box theory. But Sakurai told us from the jump don't expect too many new characters from the jump. Maybe the Sept 8th direct got people carried away with all the stuff he dropped on us.

But it's not the end of the world DLC is still a possibility.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Yep, Vergeben confirmed it. Ken and Incineroar are the last two characters.
That's not what happened.
He double downed and confirmed they were in, but said he wasn't sure if they were the last and if the box theory was right or wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom