• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
Using spoilers to condense space here for my answers. Anyways, let me try my hand at this, though many may not be happy with my thoughts.

Honestly looking at my answers, I'm extremely picky when it comes to rosters with a bit of petty in many choices, and I apologize for that. It's been that way since Brawl really, and holding in a lot of fears or worries depending on a chosen character. I guess part of the Smash community with how they are with getting outta control and some forms of trolling or whatever (including shoving stuff in my face) just made me more cautious. It doesn't help that I have very limited interests in the first place. ((currently nervous))
Damn it's gotta be annoying hating that many characters lmao

D

Deleted member

Didn't the website say they count Pokemon Trainer as one character under the about page?
Yes, it does: "Pokémon Trainer counts as one; number includes Echo Fighters."

The about page also gives the number 71.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Watch as when the next character(s) are shown and that count goes up to 72-76

The listing saying 71 means nothing

Last edited:

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
About the remaining amount of newcomers (original/echoes) left, maybe it will need to be a number that can be divided by 4? I mean, since there's Smashdown, using 4 characters at a time. And, as it seemed, excluding Mii fighters.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
"Many of my sources can disconfirm Decidueye and Lycanroc, but only one knows who the newcomer is. Incineroar is the most likely because a single source told me he's in and he makes sense. Also Tapu Koko could get in if it's not Incineroar."

...What kind of rationale is that? His sources can disconfirm Pokemon without knowing who the newcomer is? He thinks Incineroar is the most likely, but he's also randomly considering Tapu Koko as well? Did any of his sources even bring up Tapu Koko?

I don't doubt that Verge had some inside info, but I can't help but question some of his newer claims. Instead of doubling down on Incineroar, it feels like he's not as confident and he's trying to cushion himself in case he's wrong. "I'm a bit more inclined to believe it's Incineroar," and, "it does line up with how Sakurai chooses new Pokemon." Not trying to pounce on Verge for not giving me the detailed explanation I want, but I really wish he would voice his doubts instead of hiding behind a wall.
yeah i also find it really weird he can deconfirm pokemon without knowing who it is...

also just to be clear the only reason he was talking about tapu koko was because he was dis-confirming a fake leak that was saying they had the same source as him (the fake leak had tapu koko among several others).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

About the remaining amount of newcomers (original/echoes) left, maybe it will need to be a number that can be divided by 4? I mean, since there's Smashdown, using 4 characters at a time. And, as it seemed, excluding Mii fighters.
People have mentioned this before, the mode could just end if there are less fighters remaining than there are players. The direct shows 3 characters remaining when they talk about Smashdown, but K. Rool wasn't revealed yet so...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I see that you're a man of culture. If it meant Blaze would be playable I would toss Shadow quite literally into an echo chamber, and make him an echo.

I would like that very much, but sadly SEGA doesn't even know what they want to do with 3D Sonic, let alone the other characters. I will say that was a missed opportunity to bring Blaze in, from the other dimension to fight in Sonic Forces. We get Silver the (forgotten) Hedgehog.to cameo, but not Blaze? Why? Well at least she made it on the mobile game and as been in every spinoff so she has a decent chance, just not a better chance than Shadow unfortunately.
If you guys want to chat about Blaze and her getting into Smash you should check out this thread:https://smashboards.com/threads/fie...imension-blaze-the-cat-support-thread.456634/

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
. And, as it seemed, excluding Mii fighters.
Really? That's annoying, I really want Mii Fighters to be an option in every mode, including online. Obviously moderation would be a headache but they're either a fighter or they're not - don't make awkward compromises.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
yeah i also find it really weird he can deconfirm pokemon without knowing who it is...

also just to be clear the only reason he was talking about tapu koko was because he was dis-confirming a fake leak that was saying they had the same source as him.
I think the only character to be sure of because of Verg is Isabelle. Previous to Simon's reveal he put them on the same level, saying any leaks without either of them were wrong.

Mayne Ken too, idk how sure he's been of him.

Honestly I only trust Vergeben when he's 100% because that's when he was right in the past.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Is it confirmed that you can only have 4 characters for Smash Down?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Damn it's gotta be annoying hating that many characters lmao
Eh. It's a double edge to say the least. The plus side is not much disappointment if a wanted character doesn't get in due to my limited choices and not too much disappointment with low character expectations, at least I think so (my choices are fair). The downside is even more disappointment if a character you don't like gets in (and people bash you if said character makes it) and fears of being attacked/bashed just because I don't like many of the popular characters (This may have happened before). Alas, someone has to bare that burden. It's not fun, but... I know I won't be forced to like a character or something.

Part of my fears also relate to tiers and if certain characters are top notch while your choices are subpar in the end... like with me and Pit and Palu in s4. I'm just glad Pit looks a bit more buffed this time around.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Is it confirmed that you can only have 4 characters for Smash Down?
No. Smashdown is just like regular Smash except that the fighters you use in the previous battles become inaccessible. It can be played with 2 or 3 players.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Really? That's annoying, I really want Mii Fighters to be an option in every mode, including online. Obviously moderation would be a headache but they're either a fighter or they're not - don't make awkward compromises.
They said they might be playable online so they're probably trying to see if they can balance all of the 9 sets of moves they have.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
They said they might be playable online so they're probably trying to see if they can balance all of the 9 sets of moves they have.
I understood from that (and idk if this is deconfirmed) that they'd be rounding out each mii into one moveset

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I understood from that (and idk if this is deconfirmed) that they'd be rounding out each mii into one moveset
Same here. I don't think that custom moves are coming back, given what they did with Palutena.

What's that 71 craze I've seen in these last pages? I don't know if I've understood correctly.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Same here. I don't think that custom moves are coming back, given what they did with Palutena.

What's that 71 craze I've seen in these last pages? I don't know if I've understood correctly.
I saw that the Nintendo UK website stated the game would have 71 chars total. Not including echos, that'd gives us 4 more unique newcomers to go.

Someone else however pointed out that else where on the site they count pokemon trainer as 1 char, and that gave them the count of 71

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
They've confirmed that some degree of customization on specials remains with Mii Fighters, but the language was pretty unclear on exactly how it works. The best guess interpretation is that you now pick one of the three special sets (1111, 2222, or 3333) and just work with those, but we really don't know how the interface works or what the real limitations here are.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, so I already posted them on my Twitter, but I decided that I wanted to post my predictions here as well. I believe that these will be the next newcomers announced:

Geno
Skull Kid
Bandana Waddle Dee
Gen 7 Pokemon (Likely Incineroar)
Chorus Kids
Banjo & Kazooie

For the Echoes I feel that it will be the same amount as the unique characters:

Dixie Kong
Impa
Dark Meta Knight?
Isabelle
Shadow
Ken

Tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Okay, so I already posted them on my Twitter, but I decided that I wanted to post my predictions here as well. I believe that these will be the next newcomers announced:

Geno
Skull Kid
Bandana Waddle Dee
Gen 7 Pokemon
Chorus Kids
Banjo & Kazooie

Dixie Kong
Impa
Dark Meta Knight?
Isabelle
Shadow
Ken

I see Bandana Waddle Dee and I see Chorus Kids, so I'd be very happy with that

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice

I dunno to be honest especially after sakurai said "this time we plan to reveal the design of every fighters before the game launches, we have few more to announce later so stay tuned." and what we've gotten after this sentence was just one more character. Thinking that it's the final count of the game it's either having forgotten or didn't hear about what sakurai has said during the last direct.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Not counting echos as they don't get numbered slots, we would have had 4 more to go. It's already been shown how they get the count of 71 anyways

I dunno to be honest especially after sakurai said "this time we plan to reveal the design of every fighters before the game launches, we have few more to announce later" and what we've gotten after this sentence was just one more character. Thinking that it's the final count of the game it's either having forgotten or didn't hear about what sakurai has said during the last direct.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Since Metroid and Castlevania are in the same game does that mean Smash Bros Ultimate is the true metroidvania game now?

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894

Geno
Skull Kid
Bandana Waddle Dee
Chorus Kids
Banjo & Kazooie

Dixie Kong
Impa
Dark Meta Knight?
Isabelle
Shadow
Ken

That’s practically perfect imo. I know it sounds stupid to say, but despite never playing golden sun, I’d like Isaac in as well just to tick off all the most popular ones, really making the hypest game ever

Last edited:

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice
Yes, it does: "Pokémon Trainer counts as one; number includes Echo Fighters."

The about page also gives the number 71.
I had a thought about this. What if Pokemon Trainer could be turned on or off? For instance, if Pokemon Trainer was on, then it would function as we've seen in gameplay so far. If it was turned off, the Pokemon would display as different characters on the CSS, each Pokemon would get a new Down-B and Final Smash, and the Trainer wouldn't show up in the background. I know this is highly unlikely, but the numbering on the website for Pokemon Trainer is weird. I also know people who would prefer to play as a single Pokemon included in the Trainer without the Trainer mechanic.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally I'm not banking on more than three more non-echo newcomers in the base game.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I mean, even if they are referring to the fighters we know right now with that 71 number, I do think that there are only 4 more fighters left in the base game (67+4), so...

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
I still think there is a chance for a monster hunter rep with the monster hunter stage in a boss form as the castlevania one. Even though we still don't know if this is a real stage or not this would be not the first time a stage is introduced before a new comer (boxing ring before little mac).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
As long as Phosphora can join the roster Viridi can go Thanos on the world for all I care.
Anyone who isn’t in the same tier as Pit (or atleast a tier above/below it) dies

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
For those wondering, I put a question mark next to Dark Meta Knight due to the fact that he’s one of the less likely Echoes imo, it’ll probably be Black Knight to be honest.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I really struggle to understand how Medusa would be an Echo of Palutena. Can someone explain that to me?
In her boss fight in Uprising, she uses many attacks that, while visually different, are functionally similar to Palutena's moves.

All that really needs to be done is mirror her animations to change the hand she holds her staff in, alter some animations to reflect her personality, akin to Dark Samus, and change a few attacks, like her dash attack and giving her a slash-with-claws attack..though I'd also love if she got an uppercut to reference a spoiler scene.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the only character to be sure of because of Verg is Isabelle. Previous to Simon's reveal he put them on the same level, saying any leaks without either of them were wrong.

Mayne Ken too, idk how sure he's been of him.

Honestly I only trust Vergeben when he's 100% because that's when he was right in the past.
Even without Verge I'd be suspicious of Isabelle. Her missing AT coupled with the random debut of Kapp'n is something worth keeping an eye on.

I'm on the fence with Ken, but he wouldn't suprise me. It's just a little hard to get behind him when all there is to support Verge's claim is that Ken would make sense as an Echo. There's gotta be half a dozen Echoes I can think of who would "make sense", and that's assuming we only get super obvious ones like Shadow or Octolings. Throw in those suprise Richter Echoes and I start having a little more doubt in Ken.

I think Incineroar is extremely likely, but I don't trust Verge's sources at all on this. He's just been too weird and secretive with this topic, providing very little explanation. I'm almost willing to say that Incineroar would just be a lucky guess on his part.

*facepalm*

K. Rool is 67

We are at 67 unique
Except I'm not counting unique characters. I'm counting the number of characters the official site recognizes as separate characters, which includes Echoes and not PT. Based on this, we have 65 unique characters and 6 Echoes.

Read the entire post before correcting someone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyone who isn’t in the same tier as Pit (or atleast a tier above/below it) dies
Well RIP Lucina, Shulk, Ness, Yoshi, Peach, Ike, Mewtwo, (probably) Simon, Snake, Mega Knight, KIRBY ;-;, Captain Falcon...

Ironically Bayonetta, King Dedede, King K. Rool, ZS Samus, and Cloud are safe

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So here's a little game.

Disregard how likely you think the characters are.

Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included:
Incineroeir - He's okay. Tbh I'm indifferent, he don't really get my nipple perky.
Ken- Perfect fit for the roster.
Isabelle - In different to her inclusion if echo. If a new character then im interested.
Geno - I'd be happy, not for me (because I've never played SMRPG) but for the fans of the game.
Isaac - I'd be happy, not for me (because I've never played GS) but for the fans of the game.
Monster Hunter - Indifferent.
Lloyd Irving - Would be mildly content.
Dixie Kong - Would feel like DK cast would be nicely rounded out with her inclusion
Impa - I've been lowkey expecting Sheik the character in smash to be phased out and renamed, remodeled after impa since Smash wii u but yest content.
Skull Kid - Indifferent.
Black Shadow - I'd be happy to see any new F-zero char at this point.
Bandana Waddle Dee - He's my closest chance to get a lance fire emblem user so why not....i love you Ephraim
Ninten - I thought is inclusion was long overdue.
Diskun - it would be jarring to me personally so see Diskun playable, but hey king k rool is playable so it's whatever to me.
Raiden - Would be happy to see, but i'll quickly loathe the character as id know he's gonna be mid-high tier.
Big Boss - IF HE DON'T SUMMON DD, then don't include him!
Shadow - Satisfied.
Elma - would love to see her in.
Rex and Pyra - in different.
Jeanne - A perfect fit like Ken
Spring Man - excited and surprised.
Wonder Red - indifferent.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Geno
Skull Kid
Bandana Waddle Dee
Chorus Kids
Banjo & Kazooie

Dixie Kong
Impa
Dark Meta Knight?
Isabelle
Shadow
Ken

base
I think you're being extremely optimistic with the number.

The characters included feel generally agreeable (with the exception of Banjo, who I'd be surprised to see base game but could see as DLC) - they're the ones I see thrown about everywhere, but usually just some subset of them.

I'd be pretty happy with half that number of unique newcomers, all told. Echoes it's more difficult to guess; I didn't think we'd have 3 dropped at once last direct but here we are.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So here's a little game.

Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included.

Incineroar - meh
Ken - meh
Isabelle - neat
Geno - meh
Isaac - neat
Monster Hunter - meh, I’d sooner prefer Dante
Lloyd Irving - oooh yes
Dixie Kong - neat
Impa - neat
Skull Kid - meh
Black Shadow - neat
Bandana Waddle Dee - yes please
Ninten - indifferent
Diskun - whomst
Raiden - if it’s MGR Raiden then sure
Big Boss - nah
Shadow - neat
Elma - YAAAAAAAASSSS QUEEN
Rex and Pyra - neat
Jeanne - nah
Spring Man - meh (would prefer Twintelle or Dr. Coyle)
Wonder Red - neat
Thoughts if these characters make the cut?

-Agumon nah
-Amaterasu meh
-Ayumi Tachibana neat
-Banjo-Kazooie meh
-Black Knight(E) meh
-Chorus Kids neat
-Cranky Kong meh
-Crash Bandicoot neat
-Decidueye meh
-Gardevoir as long as it doesn’t come with Gothitelle
-Glass Joe(E) NOOOOO (Disco Kid or BUST)
-Hades meh
-Heihachi Mishima neat
-Kat & Ana meh
-Karate Joe if I don’t get Chorus Kids I’ll take him
-King Boo meh
-King Hippo meh
-Medusa(E) neat
-Metal Sonic(E) nah
-Mona meh
-Nightmare meh
-Octoling(E) yes pls
-Paper Mario meh
-Phosphora meh
-Porky Minch nah
-Rayman neat
-Saki Amamiya meh
-Shantae neat
-Sylux neat
-Toon Zelda meh

(E) means Echo Fighter
Wew lad this is gonna be big. For simplicity’s sake I added my opinions in bold in the quotes

Last edited:

Oshawott777

Smash Cadet
Make the wings black, replace her dash attack and back air with something else, maybe change up the specials. it can work
Hey, it would get Cree Summer in Smash, it would be awesome to have childhood voice actors in Smash. The voice is the main reason why male Corrin is superior to female Corrin, after all.

87 Leonardo ftw!

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So here's a little game.

Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included.
Incineroar- I’d be satisfied, it’s not who I want but it’s a fair second choice
Ken- I really don’t care either way, he’s just ok to me
Isabelle- same as Ken
Geno- i’d be very satisfied. It would almost feel like it wasn’t real if he was playable
Isaac- I’ve wanted him since Brawl so I’d be so happy if he got in, he’d probably be the second character that made me cry from joy of their addition.
Monster Hunter- Meh
Lloyd Irving- This would be great. Love Tales ofSymphonia
Dixie Kong- I’d love this. Dixie is my favourite Donkey Kong character
Impa- ugh please no. The fact that everyone says she should be a Sheik clone is even worse when Sheik has the most boring moveset ever.
Skull Kid- this would be ****ing hype. I’d be totally cool with this.
Black Shadow- this would be cool. Especially if he gets some of Ganondorf’s old moves.
Bandana Waddle Dee- I’d prefer others like Marx or Gooey
Ninten- I’d rather Porky or Masked Man ofer him
Diskun- Who?
Raiden- Meh
Big Boss- Meh
Shadow-Meh
Elma- She’d be cool. Probably the only character addition from the Xenoblade series I’d be ok with.
Rex and Pyra- I’d prefer Nia just cause I like her more. Rex and Pyra are kinda lame.
Jeanne- Meh
Spring Man- I’d prefer if they chose a character from Arms with a better design like Ribbon Girl
Wonder Red- Meh. He’d be better as an assist trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom