• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I think this has been stated 500 times now, but as Alola polls are mentioned again.

The game started planning stage before pokemon sun and moon was even announced. If there is a Gen 7 mon, It won't be by popularity, but something similar to smash 4 where Game Freak show a bunch of designs to Sakurai who then chooses his favourite. Unlike K rool and Ridley, the Fans won't have squat to do with this choice.
They probably didn't start work on every fighter immediately, so Sakurai could have put off on deciding a Pokemon until when the games were already out. The project plan could have had a generic 'Gen 7 Pokemon reserve slot' or something. After all, Sakurai's approaching this game differently than the previous Smash.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I know its not a Gen 7 Pokemon, but has anybody brought up Rotom as a potential Pokemon fighter? Not saying its likely but I thought I might as well throw out the idea.

This little guy might have originated in gen 4, but he did received some importance Sun and Moon with the Rotom Pokedex.

For moveset potential, Rotom could use all of his different forms for attacks, giving him the power to use electricity, fire, ice, flying, water, and grass attacks.
Thanks, now I want something that might never happen.
But seriously, just looking at those gifs and the moveset is writing itself.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I'll only accept Steve if every one of his songs are Minecraft themed parodies of popular songs.

I feel like the animations of steve would be really wonky. He doesn't have the freedom of wario and mr game and watch, who both have an excuse to just skip the animation part of the animations. Those minecraft music videos are a pretty good demonstration of how Freaky their movements are when made to go beyond their standard basic in game animations.

That being said, Steve is much more interesting than some of the more milquetoast 3rd parties like Lloyd and Heihachi imo.

D

Deleted member

Are... are people seriously saying they can't see Steve in Smash? Are you all ****ing serious?
But guys, what if instead of Joker, we got Arvis?

I mean, everyone loves new Fire Emblem characters, you get your double Xander, and he fits in with the """"""theme"""""" so he'd be perfect.
Guess that would disconfirm Ken because the fire gimmick would be taken :,(

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They probably didn't start work on every fighter immediately, so Sakurai could have put off on deciding a Pokemon until when the games were already out. The project plan could have had a generic 'Gen 7 Pokemon reserve slot' or something. After all, Sakurai's approaching this game differently than the previous Smash.
Yeah, for all we know, we end up getting older Pokemon that scored high on the ballot.

Blaziken as Captain Falcon Echo perhaps? Wouldn't be the first time someone outside the good captain's series copied him.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well, we know that Palutena usually goes around at "normal human size", and Medusa, in the original Kid Icarus is shown to be the same height (give or take), but is of a giant size in Uprising (and it's animated shorts).

We know that Thanatos can change size because of his animated short (where he takes a giant form).

I would guess that all the KI Gods have three sizes: a size relative to normal humans, a giant size and the super giant size; they are, however, limited to scaling (they remain the same height relative to each other when they take that form; Viridi in giant form is still shorter than Palutena in giant form, for instance). Obviously, this is headcanon... *shrug*
Could be possible...or Sakurai doesn’t like super tall waifus...and Pandora
Why are we discussing sizes in a post-Ridley era?
Ridley isn’t an anime God, so the discussion about Kid Icarus gods is acceptable
That sounds good, but I thought Sakurai was a troll™ and this whole forum is giving him and his creations attention.
No Sakurai is just Sakurai, therefore he can do whatever he wants

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
That being said, Steve is much more interesting than some of the more milquetoast 3rd parties like Lloyd and Heihachi imo.
index.jpg

… But seriously I think Steve/minecraft representation will be eithe as an AT or a Stage, or both even. I really doubt playable character is gonna be it tho, I just try to imagine it in the roster…I know we got weird characters but that would go beyond Sakurai's taste. Probably why Shovel knight also got the AT treatment.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You guys would greenlight ****ing everything wouldn't ya?
Did I say I'd put Steve in the game if I was in charge? No. I specifically said I don't want him to be in. But I wouldn't have put in Villager or the Wii Fit Trainer either, and they're far, far more ridiculous than Steve. At least he actually fights.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

The King of Komebacks already Smashed that "b-but muh relevancy," nonsense.
If you want to deny Banjo's chances, you'd best start relying on other arguments.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Did I say I'd put Steve in the game if I was in charge? No. I specifically said I don't want him to be in. But I wouldn't have put in Villager or the Wii Fit Trainer either, and they're far, far more ridiculous than Steve. At least he actually fights.
"""Fights"""

okay sure.

Yeah, like ROB, Game and Watch, Jigglypuff, that dog from Duck Hunt, a fitness trainer, a character from a game where the most violent thing you can do is boop people on the head with a net. How would that translate well in a fighting game? And that's not even getting into stuff like a house maid and a lawyer in other fighting games

Clearly, we'll never be on the same page on why it's dumb.

So i'm done wasting my time on *explaining* why minecraft would be dumb.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'll only accept Steve if every one of his songs are Minecraft themed parodies of popular songs.

I feel like the animations of steve would be really wonky. He doesn't have the freedom of wario and mr game and watch, who both have an excuse to just skip the animation part of the animations. Those minecraft music videos are a pretty good demonstration of how Freaky their movements are when made to go beyond their standard basic in game animations.

I mean, I highly disagree as Tekken is the second biggest fighting game franchise out there but at the same time I agree as I'd be more intrigued at Steve

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

You said he can't get in because he'd be too ridiculous.
We argued that there is already ridiculous characters in the roster who have movesets created from almost nothing. If there's any reason he's not getting in, it's probably because he's a Microsoft IP.

Why are you getting so worked up anyway?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
"""Fights"""

okay sure.

On with you right there. It's like people think Steve chopping wood is more fitting as a fighter than Villager chopping wood at this point… literally what? lol it's no use explaining anyways as you said.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You guys realize Minecraft has monster spawns and weapon crafting, right? Mining and cutting trees isn't the only thing he does.

I don't even play or care about that game but even I know that. Sheesh.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
On with you right there. It's like people think Steve chopping wood is more fitting as a fighter than Villager chopping wood at this point… literally what? lol it's no use explaining anyways as you said.
Well he's kinda more fitting, he does fight monsters in his game, as opposed to Villager..

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You guys realize Minecraft has monster spawns and weapon crafting, right? Mining and cutting trees isn't the only thing he does.

And yet Sakurai added him (villager) who does "less stuff" than steve regardless… here we are…

Inb4 Steve will come in as an echo fighter of Villager, just to trigger people, haha. (seriously the differences on the moveset would be really small anyways)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

"Bu-bu-but that's ridiculous!" Meanwhile MVC3 has a lawyer who's biggest act of violence is barging through a door sneeze at people to send them 50 feet to the sky

... a character from a game where the most violent thing you can do is boop people on the head with a net. How would that translate well in a fighting game?
The most violent thing in AC is definetly Tom Nook's bullying...

Psychological warfare is not cool. What a douche! :p

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
"Bu-bu-but that's ridiculous!" Meanwhile MVC3 has a lawyer who's biggest act of violence is barging through a door sneeze at people to send them 50 feet to the sky
So true… i wonder why we keep taking seriously these games were the devs would include even the freaking DEATH NOTE as a playable character, for all they care!

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
I'm not expecting smash news until the (common) September direct or a future October/November smash direct to finish pushing the game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
And yet Sakurai added him (villager) who does "less stuff" than steve regardless… here we are…

Inb4 Steve will come in as an echo fighter of Villager, just to trigger people, haha. (seriously the differences on the moveset would be really small anyways)
If I had to choose between getting Steve or Isabelle as a Villager echo...easily Isabelle and keep Steve away from myself

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Considering the amount of love Banjo-Kazooie is getting for its 20th anniversary (Arby's, A Hat in Time, and a figure made by First 4 Figures) It would baffle me if Nintendo doesn't join the party of celebrating such character, considering the success it had and the huge fanbase. I wonder… if there is a best crossover game of all that could possibly be up to giving the bear and bird some great recognition? hmmm…
It depends on if Nintendo wants to highlight a franchise or company that doesn't currently do things for them in favor of past history. Like I said, 50/50.
Please no Minecraft Steve would be infinitely more enjoyable
Please no..Steve would be so uninteresting if done true to his series..I mean his legit only animations are walking, swinging, and shooting a bow. He doesn't even have a damage or jumping animation. I could see Sakurai choosing any popular 3rd Party over him for that reason alone.
By that logic, there will never be a theme. Sakurai could very well include highly requested characters that fill a pattern of a theme tho, but apparently people really want to deny that part, lol. Like… why can't it be both?
Pretty much it. Sakurai has never done a theme and isn't likely to start using one. It would limit his character options far too much.
Maybe you're not seeing the fact that, first, we get ridley, a villain, then that helps create an intro theme along other rivals to a trailer revealing yet another more rival, King K, to hint that we MIGHT be getting a reurring theme as time is passing. Sure, it's too early to say there is a pattern with just 2 villains, but if we keep getting more, people will eventually have to accept it. Also, so what if they are highly requested? they STILL make sense for such kind of theme, otherwise they wouldn't feel the need to announce villain after villain character. They could mix it up a bit if it wasn't really a recurring theme. IF we get another villain next, we can't be in denial about the theme. As for now, it's just AN IDEA that some of us we think MIGHT be happening. It might, it might not, but we can't be close minded about the possibility. That's why the theme is just part of speculation at the moment.
No, first we got Inkling, a popular character (and not a villain), then we got Daisy, another popular character that isn't a villain, then we got Ridley, a popular character that is a villain, then Simon & Richter, popular characters and not villains (though Richter was a mind controlled villain in Symphony of the Night), then Chrom, another popular character that isn't a villain, then Dark Samus & K. Rool, popular characters and villains.

We have to count Echoes as Newcomers too, that breaks the theming since all but one were heroes. Even if they aren't counted, then we have 2 heroes, 2 villains..in a pattern too since it's Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool.

I'm not against a theme, but it's too much of a stretch to assume a villain theme when only less then half (or half depending on viewpoint) are villains. The only thing that can be considered a theme currently is 'Popular Characters'.

D

Deleted member

So true… i wonder why we keep taking seriously these games were the devs would include even the freaking DEATH NOTE as a playable character, for all they care!
We have Death Note himself in already, he's just not using that particular design.

Simon.jpg

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I assume this is about Jump Force? tbf that game hyped up Light and Ryuk in it's announcement trailer and people thought of puppeteer stuff or a gimmick similar to one of the lesbians in Bleach who's bankai **** is "Hit them in the same spot twice and they die" in one of the Bleach fighting games

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

Because Minecraft is just a toxic wasteland when it comes to both it's game and community, and i think his design is just...so unfitting in a game like smash bros.

Is that really hard to understand?

There, happy?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm not expecting smash news until the (common) September direct or a future October/November smash direct to finish pushing the game.
I'm expecting "too hopefully" for an announcement of an announcement during gamescom or at its last day, about an upcoming direct or maybe they announce the direct that will happen in early september. Even way too more hopefully a smash singular trailer at gamescom, but i rather not set myself for 99% chances of disappointment (even if it could perfectly happen, like arms got a character reveal last year).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Because Minecraft is just a toxic wasteland when it comes to both it's game and community, and i think his design is just...so unfitting in a game like smash bros.

Is that really hard to understand?

There, happy?
Well guys, Smash bros is cancelled because the gaming community is filled with toxic ****heads no matter what game you play

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman

Well they wouldn't have to be small, you know Steve uses the weapons he crafts right; bow and arrow, tnt , swords... Not saying I want him in the game, but he is a character from arguably the biggest game of the last decade (especially with kids). So I wouldn't dismiss him just yet. (not that I expect him in , being a microsoft property and all ... :p )

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
Just saw a nintendo direct leak that claims ratchet and clank is coming to the 3DS lmao. Some of these leaks are quite hopeful. Also claimed skull kid to make it relevant

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If I had to choose between getting Steve or Isabelle as a Villager echo...easily Isabelle and keep Steve away from myself
This. Absolutely this. If verg is right in the end, Isabelle is what we're gonna get. And if we're already gonna get her as an echo (or whatever), I doubt we get anything as similar along the lines as steve. If verg, is also right about the minecraft representation, I'm pretty sure it will be an AT just like shovel knight, or a stage at best.

Iridium

Smash Hero

This is the second time I've seen Sukapon delete somebody like they're nothing. Those kills are definitely early.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just saw a nintendo direct leak that claims ratchet and clank is coming to the 3DS lmao. Some of these leaks are quite hopeful. Also claimed skull kid to make it relevant
At this point skull kid is mentioned in leaks even non nintendo related, lol. 4chan is way and way less serious, it never ceases to amaze me how far they can actually get when i thought they already reached the peak of stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom