• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So, does anybody know if Tingle has been deconfirmed? I think I saw him on Great Bay, but I haven't heard one mention of him by anybody, even Sakurai himself . . .
Tingle has yet to be deconfirmed
Has the only legit leak been the Castlevania music yesterday? Was K. Rool leaked? During Etika's reaction he said the leaks were real.

What more is there to Vergeben other than him saying Isabelle is the most likely? Did he ever talk about Geno? A lot of his posts have been removed.
Etika was only talking about Simon (he talked about that specific leak last night when someone at Nintendo ****ed up with the music)
Yeah, but Dark Samus should've also helped Ridley destroy Mario & friends.
Also, Ridley needs no help killing a robot and plumber

Iridium

Smash Hero
Tingle is still flying his balloon on Great Bay.

It's possible they dropped his assist because of his role on this stage, but that's unconfirmed. There's also still the (very low) possibility he's playable with a non-Majora's Mask design, but I don't think that's happening. Shame, Tingle's the only Zelda character I'd really want.

K. Rool is on practically every "leak" list, so I guess all of them are legit, but also none of them are because of Richter.
Ah, so my vision isn't that bad. Well, no deconfirmed Impa and Skull Kid still gives me hope then, and I would argue that Impa is more likely.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As much as I'm for Shadow, I just want my Egg Boi in more. :p Time to be in denial until he does or doesn't show up.

Tingle is still flying his balloon on Great Bay.

It's possible they dropped his assist because of his role on this stage, but that's unconfirmed. There's also still the (very low) possibility he's playable with a non-Majora's Mask design, but I don't think that's happening. Shame, Tingle's the only Zelda character I'd really want.
Then why did they make the Moon an Assist?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Has the only legit leak been the Castlevania music yesterday? Was K. Rool leaked? During Etika's reaction he said the leaks were real.

What more is there to Vergeben other than him saying Isabelle is the most likely? Did he ever talk about Geno? A lot of his posts have been removed.

You sorta got me there. But I think some people explained this already?

Ridley usually has nothing to do with Dark Samus other than the fact that they’re both Metroid villains. There was no reason to include Dark Samus in Ridley’s trailer. However, Dixie has a pretty strong connection with King K. Rool and the Kong’s, so it would’ve made more sense to reveal her along with King K. Rool.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
F080E741-7C8A-4C0A-886F-46FC001C2863.png

Even though it’s a small picture...I still got some 3D Viridi in HD
714A3DF8-D32F-428E-908B-DBECCE0F3FA4.jpeg

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I have a little game for you all... imagine if we get 3 more smash directs in September, October, And November, and they each reveal 2 unique characters and 1-2 echo fighters. Who will they be?

Here's my example:

September:
Unique: Elma & Geno
Echo: Isabelle

October:
Unique: Nihilego & Heihachi
Echo: Ninten & Galatica Knight

November:
Unique: Chorus Kids & Ayumi Tachibana
Echo: Shadow

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
If Shadow gets in as an echo this better be one of his taunts
maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously though, Eggman is the superior choice for a new Sonic character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Was just thinking...

March 8th - Inkling
June 12th - Daisy, Ridley
Sakurai: Don't expect too many new fighters.
Smash Fanbase: We're only going to get, like, 2 more fighters, guys!
Other Half: Sakurai was probably downplaying the number.
Smash Fanbase: Nuh-uh! He wouldn't lie to us!
August 8th - Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, K. Rool
Sakurai: There's still more to come.
...Could this be considered another "fan rule" that was broken?

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262

None of the echo fighters or King K. Rool leaked to my knowledge. I'm glad that everyone who felt Simon was spoiled by the Castlevania music still had lots to get surprised by.
Imagine everyone's reaction if he got a beach alt in Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Richter: "It's like wearing nothing at all!"

D

Deleted member

As for Daisy:
Just using one source doesn’t explain the actual results of the ballot.

A lot of the bigger polls don’t even feature Daisy ranking that high.

As for Simon:
I need to see more concrete information. During the ballot, Simon was no where to be seen since most people just wanted Snake back.

It seems that Simon was mostly added since his series was a critical part of Nintendo’s history during the NES era. Not to mention that Castlevania had a big impact on Sakurai. The Castlevania series definitely has a lot of fans that probably wanted to see the series in Smash. However, Simon consistently wasn’t mentioned during the ballot.

But nonetheless having Simon in was probably a good thing.
I genuinely don't feel like digging it up man, tbh. So we can just drop the conversation there, and we can say you won or whatever and leave it at that. I'm actually just going back to rewatching the trailer some more cause it was hype.

When the time comes, we'll see what we get, but in the meantime I'm still sticking to my guns on what I think it'll be. I'm not sold on the leaks, personally, but that's just me. Either way, I'm happy with the game so far, far happier than I thought I would ever be like a year ago. So far, this looks like it'll be the best Smash game to date, yes, even better than Melee, and that's saying a lot. So I don't care all that much about the roster, outside of my wistful hoping for Banjo. That's literally it, and even the Bear and Bird are a cherry on top considering all the stuff Sakurai has done so far. I'm already super grateful for all the work he's put in so far.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have a little game for you all... we get 3 more smash directs in September, October, And November, and they each reveal 2 unique characters and 1-2 echo fighters. Who would they be?

Here's my example:

September:
Unique: Elma & Geno
Echo: Isabelle

October:
Unique: Nihilego & Heihachi
Echo: Ninten & Galatica Knight

November:
Unique: Chorus Kids & Ayumi Tachibana
Echo: Shadow
Eh, I personally think Isabelle will be unique. Verg and Loz’s sources only report original fighters, not echoes, which is why we didn’t know about Daisy, Richter, Chrom or Dark Samus beforehand.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
The next newcomers I think will happen
Dixie Kong (Echo)
Isabelle (Echo)
Shadow (Echo)
Ninten (Echo)
Elma
Incineroar
Karate Joe
Excitebiker
Rayman
Geno
Monster Hunter

Noipoi

Howdy!
Was just thinking...

March 8th - Inkling
Watch, it's gonna be like, 20 newcomers. I bet Sakurai only said this to downplay fan expectations so he could surprise us even more.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Was just thinking...

March 8th - Inkling
Yes it was. Even if you take out the echoes we still got 2 more newcomers in a day, with him saying we have even more to unveil before release.

There’s just a lot to talk about for the following upcoming months. Like, Richter, RICHTER!

DID ANYONE SEE RICHTER COMING! I didn’t like Simon as much (he’s still very cool tho), but Ricther is just so damn awesome, I’m graceful he has his own semi slot.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Watch, it's gonna be like, 20 newcomers. I bet Sakurai only said this to downplay fan expectations so he could surprise us even more.
It would make sense given how some series have like little to no songs in them now and how a mute City stage was confirmed

Ivander

Smash Legend
Was just thinking...

March 8th - Inkling
Maybe, maybe not. I mean, we have gotten 8 Fighters, but 4 are Echo Fighters and we've only gotten 4 newcomers with unique movesets so far, which is what many people are assuming with what Sakurai said. And so far, we only have those 4 unique movesets and the game comes out in 4 months. And didn't Smash 4 come out with 15 characters with unique movesets, including the Mii Fighters? I sincerely doubt we're going to get even close to that in the remaining 4 months.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Simon is cool and all, but honestly I think the most compelling thing about the trailer is that it made Skull Kid the most likely remaining full newcomer, as strange as it would be for him to be added.

He's not even as evil as Vegeta. His first appearance had him as a good guy trying to stop Kirby from doing something stupid after the latter had already torn through several areas on his quest to summon an evil spirit. He's only really a recurring boss because of misunderstandings/impersonations/being controlled by yarn. Dedede is at least consistently more of a jerk (KDL, KSS) even if he's not really evil.
This is ironic, as Japanese translations of a guidebook or something state that Wolf was also manipulated by Andross and Pigma, rather than actually wanting to do it of his own accord.

You can view his entire rivalry with Fox as a misunderstanding and him technically being controlled by Andross, infecting his mind with false hopes and lies.

So yeah, he and Meta Knight seem out of place if you see the collage as a "Heroes vs Villains" thing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Based on everything Sakurai has said, I think we're getting not one but at least two more Smash Directs before launch. 1. He said every single character (probably barring DLC, hell, if there even needs to be at this point) would be shown before launch and, even with an hour Direct they probably couldn't do that because 2. there's still 18 stages left, again, all available from the get-go according to Sakurai and 3. we still don't know anything about this Adventure/Spirits mode they teased today nor any of the online functions. It's kind of weird but I think Sakurai actually intends to spoil a vast majority of this game before launch... I think the man's lost his mind...

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
So apparently the green mode is called "Spirits". I'm starting to suspect the campaign is in games&more and that this is something else entirely, like Smash Run/Tour.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can I just say

That remix played in K. Rool’s trailer is a real heckin banger tho

I need that track on the site stat

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Based on everything Sakurai has said, I think we're getting not one but at least two more Smash Directs before launch. 1. He said every single character (probably barring DLC, hell, if there even needs to be at this point) would be shown before launch and, even with an hour Direct they probably couldn't do that because 2. there's still 18 stages left, again, all available from the get-go according to Sakurai and 3. we still don't know anything about this Adventure/Spirits mode they teased today nor any of the online functions. It's kind of weird but I think Sakurai actually intends to spoil a vast majority of this game before launch... I think the man's lost his mind...
I think he learned from the ESRB leak for Smash 4 and wants to surprise everyone before leakers get the chance.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Even if a large chunk of the 20 are Echoes, Echoes are more high-effort than I thought, so I'm fine with it now.

Reminder that Sakurai's team is apparently bigger this time and he's only working on one game.
Yes it was. Even if you take out the echoes we still got 2 more newcomers in a day, with him saying we have even more to unveil before release.

There’s just a lot to talk about for the following upcoming months. Like, Richter, RICHTER!

DID ANYONE SEE RICHTER COMING! I didn’t like Simon as much (he’s still very cool tho), but Ricther is just so damn awesome.
Nobody saw Richter coming, if they did it was usually as an Alt.
If classic mode opponents is random and random number of characters on a top once I willing be gladly ok with this
The way I read into what Sakurai said about Classic. It seems like every character has a unique Classic mode set, but they always play the same set.

Like Kirby had a Fight against Giant Yoshi, but the name of the fight (I think it was "Gourmet Clash" or something?) wouldn't make sense for any other fighter.
---
Considering Simon usually didn't score high in our Exit Polls; I feel like Simon might be this game's Retro Pick.

Yeah, he's not a big WTF character, but they don't HAVE to be.

Iridium

Smash Hero
You know, I really wanted tournament mode to be like Melee (64-man, specifically). I don't really like that there isn't an option to set up the bracket, as in, choose who faces who. Maybe that would be tedious, but I wouldn't mind spending half an hour coming up with something.

I don't have the time or money to go to real tourneys, so I like trying out CPU tourneys. I could do with what we have, though.

This came out longer than I expected.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I think Disney's more on board with Sora in Smash than Square is, although Square seems to have loosened up a bit recently as well.

Obviously Square's saving Tifa for Dead or Alive. Uh, don't quote me if that actually happens.
At this rate, I'm just hoping with everything I got for Sora or any of my picks to make it through. I'm very happy for everyone else for all the characters they received today, nothing is better than getting a character, especially if you've waited for them 10+ years to get them.

The only character that appeared that I wanted became an AT, again now that's three characters that I wanted (Lyn, Krystal, and now Ashley), turned into AT's. It's just bumming me out that none of my picks are seeing the light of day.

Sorry, I'm rambling, the point is Sora would be nice, as for Tifa and Dead or Alive, Monty Oum kinda beat Square to the punch but I would be down for that.
ALL OF MY YES! He's one of my last most wanted 3rd Party Characters. There's very few NEEDED third parties in my opinion and Hayabusa is 100% one of them.
I'm down with more Ninjas for Smash.
These remaining characters are the ones I consider likely in my most personal of opinions.
(From most to least likely)
Incineroar. Isabelle. Bandanna Dee. Elma. Geno. Skull Kid. Shadow.
If these were the rest of our newcomers, how would you feel?

Incineroar would be awesome, I love it's heel wrestler theme. I really hope it gets in.
Isabelle would be adorable, I love dogs (Even though iv'e never had one.)
Bandanna Dee is the Bandanna Boi.
Elma is cool, I suppose. Giant mechs are rad.
Geno's design is awesome, and he would complete the fan request trio. I'd play him a few times.
Skull Kid's design is cool, but that's the extent of how much I care about him.
OW THE EDGE.
Not interested,
YES PLEASE!,
eh alright,
YES, ALL MY YES!,
not interested,
eh alright,
BOW YOUR HEADS LOW! ALL HAIL SHADOW!

Noipoi

Howdy!
Can I just say

That quick scene of DK and K Rool running towards eachother while the remix hits the best part is one of my new favorite Smash trailer moments.
My favorites being Luigi dying and this piece of gold.
Laughs in Dedede.gif

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If Shadow gets in as an echo this better be one of his taunts
View attachment 156445

Seriously though, Eggman is the superior choice for a new Sonic character.
Nah Tails would be the superior choice for a Sonic newcomer, but Shadow is more popular than all the characters not named Sonic, so him joining Smash makes just as much sense as Tails and Eggman (adding another villain to the series) would
That quick scene of DK and K Rool running towards eachother while the remix hits the best part is one of my new favorite Smash trailer moments.
My favorites being Luigi dying and this piece of gold.
View attachment 156451
I’d add this beautiful moment in aswell
0664E31B-E1D1-4299-AEB7-B01C10E42FAC.gif

KMDP

Smash Legend
Can I just say

Agreed, I wanna hear a Clean version so bad.

Anyway, I have to go. It's 1 AM where I am.

G'night, y'all!

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Adding on to this, i have a gut feeling that this is half true and that Sakurai is going to keep some characters a secret.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Crazy idea number 2: Isabelle is not an echo.

So far not a single echo have been leaked, I assume is because they need less external exposure, so the team can kept them more to themselves. and therefore not been leaked. so far not a single echo have been leaked by a reliable source. (yeah.. some "leaks" claimed dark samus and chrom as echoes.... but honestly thats more like obvious guesses, and usually those leaks are most of the part bull****)

then obviously verge could been on a similar scenario to gematsu, meaning that the info about isabelle he got was wrong... and even then isabelle could end as a echo of villager anyway.... but .. are we sleeping on isabelle as an original character?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
btw Zero on the website Is labeled as:

Zero(Mega Man)

which probably means there another Zero in the game which im assuming is the enemy from Kirby

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
God... it's like this whole thing is so crazy... Richter hasn't had a notable role since 2006, Dark Samus 2007, and K. Rool 2009... The fact that characters like Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno, and Banjo and Kazooie are legitimately on the table is so surreal especially since Sakurai was such a huge stickler for relevancy in Brawl and Smash 4. Again, I think he's lost his mind and I feel like the evidence keeps piling up that this is going to be his last Smash game.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Dunno if its been mentioned before, but was it just me or does recovery after a directional dodge look way faster? During Chrom`s presentation he avoids grenninja`s dash attack with a right directional dodge and gets to punish it soon after landing. It wasnt by no means wavedash but if I recall correct, most people who tried landing after a dodge agreed on that the recovery was simply too much for it to be useful as a tech.

Am I digging to much or could it actually be faster now compared to the e3 demo version?

D

Deleted member

God... it's like this whole thing is so crazy... Richter hasn't had a notable role since 2006, Dark Samus 2007, and K. Rool 2009... The fact that characters like Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno, and Banjo and Kazooie are legitimately on the table is so surreal especially since Sakurai was such a huge stickler for relevancy in Brawl and Smash 4. Again, I think he's lost his mind and I feel like the evidence keeps piling up that this is going to be his last Smash game.
I think this is going to be his last Smash game too to be honest.
I am glad if this is true, because Sakurai can finally relax after Ultimate...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, here's a bit of disappointing speculation.

Is Smash Run deconfirmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom