• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It's sad that Shovel Knight didn't make it in as playable... But man, he's the first Indie character to make an appearance!

I have to wonder if we'll be getting a Indie playable character like Shantae or the guy from Cave Story?
Or like.. Travis Touchdown.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
big think emoji

Right now that actually seems like the most plausible theory.

The fact that Rathalos is announced as a "Boss", in a stage that we've never seen before - just look at the characters that are fighting him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-kQWJrjRV4&t=4s (Starts at 23:10)

To me, that looks like a cinematic boss scene that would appear in a story mode. What else could that possibly be from? Even the scene/stage itself is set as if it's an important progress milestone.
I agree.
If you notice, when it appears as a "boss", only one character is fighting it at a time.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I know Chrom and K.Rool fans in particular are jumping and crying with joy.
This direct was 1,000 times more than what I expected!

****ING!

RICHTER!

BELMONT!

MY BOYS!!!

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
hang on why is k.rool's trailer called the rivals? he's dk's nemissis not his rival same goes for that montage at the start with exception of meta knight
Wolf and Fox are proclaimed as rivals many times as well, just so you know

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, Animal Crossing is a first party, which I'd imagine is easier rights-wise, and had no AT.
I'm not going to act like I know anything behind the legal hoops behind Smash Bros, especially considering we already have two Capcom representatives, but I'd imagine Sakurai wouldn't jump through all those said legal hoops to get the rights to Monster Hunter just for an assist/boss and a large grassy stage.
Any way you slice it, this ain't no Rayman trophy situation.
Actually, it can be. The reality is, those things need to be licensed. If that's all he was interested in, that's all we'll get. That's exactly what happened with the Rayman trophy. He wanted a trophy. That was it. He has to license the stage, all music, and the boss/AT in general. Separately. Because he's clearly licensing multiple things at once, he can get a deal on all the content combined(key term being can). Whether or not there's a playable character changes pretty much nothing.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
The fact that Chrom isn't just an outright echo of Roy interests me greatly, with him using Aether instead of his own version of Blazer, and potentially a couple of other moves that aren't Roy's. Not to mention, with Dark Samus and Richter clearly having some different properties to some of their moves, I'd be 100% down with Shadow as an Echo. BUT as long as he gets Chaos Control as his recovery, along with Chaos Energy being added on to certain moves ala Sonic Battle, as well as using the boosters in his shoes for kicking attacks. And I know this might be asking for too much, but Chaos Spear (similar to Lucas' PK Fire or a different character's projectile?) as Side Special would be really great to see instead of having Spin Dash under 2 names like Sonic.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey, you guys remember a few days ago when everyone was freaking about how Venusaur sprints?
Untitled.png

This is the exact same ****.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I actually thought of something - Doesn't the track list shown disconfirm the possibility of any further unrepresented franchises getting a playable character?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm pleased with Shovel Knight getting recognition at all.

I think with his continued success he could move up in the future for sure.

prowler12

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7518-9066-3502
i was hoping for geno in the direct but simon, k.rool, dark samus,chrom richert are all fine addions

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Something I noticed from the direct is the new thing called Custom Balance...

I wonder what the heck that means...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So far each of the big 3 wants has been an end of direct reveal.

Calling it. Geno if in? He'll be revealed in a Smash Direct proper before the game's release.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Random thing I noticed while looking at the list of stages on the Smash Ultimate site, the Smash 64 Yoshi stage is now called “Super Happy Tree.” That name is accurate but that’s a way bigger name change than, say, the stage now known as Kongo Falls got, ahaha...

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Alright, what is this “Custom Balance” option? I know it’s not handicap because handicap is shown off later. Does it have to do with Mii Fighters?

F884486D-B5B7-4F79-865B-A439C0324F13.jpeg

CFAC7BCB-6A7E-4C86-BBEA-036F2099A537.jpeg

Last edited:

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I think we've gotten the most expected characters confirmed now. Everyone else will be a surprise I think, unless I'm forgetting an obvious one?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Y'know, in the Direct, they only showed Stage Morph with similarly sized stages, but I REALLY want to see what it's like to morph from, say, Green Greens to Great Cave Offensive.

That'd be awesome.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well, Animal Crossing is a first party, which I'd imagine is easier rights-wise, and had no AT.
I'm not going to act like I know anything behind the legal hoops behind Smash Bros, especially considering we already have two Capcom representatives, but I'd imagine Sakurai wouldn't jump through all those said legal hoops to get the rights to Monster Hunter just for an assist/boss and a large grassy stage.
Any way you slice it, this ain't no Rayman trophy situation.
Well lemme see

Rayman got a trophy, no stage or AT
Bomberman so far is an AT but no stage. Same for Shovel knight

So I wouldn't count for just a rep if we get an AT. Maybe that's all we're getting from Monster Hunter

The FF folder in the Music section had only two songs again.
RIP
GODDAMMIT SAKURAI I WANT MY ONE WINGED ANGEL THEME ALREADY

STOP ****ING WITH US SQUARE

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well Dark Samus wasn't revealed in the Ridley trailer.

It goes to show you that echos can be revealed whenever.
To be fair Ridley and Dark Samus have no relation whatsoever, there's not exactly a natural way to put them in the same trailer. Meanwhile K Rool is the villain in Dixie's game, the whole trailer is the kongs fighting k rool so there's no reason she shouldn't have been there if she's an echo

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
That direct was pretty cool. Simon and Ritcher look really cool and I expect DK fans to be finally happy. As for the echoes, I'm surprised chrom got some different moves and nothing surprising about Dark Samus.

Stages were great and I'm glad they included FoD back. The new modes look fun and will be entertaining.

I'm disappointed with the assists since Zero, my most wanted, was revealed. Now I know how Krystal and Ashley fans feel. The rest of the items look fun.

Honestly, idk what to expect now, except a new Pokémon newcomer and Isabelle since I got some of my wishlist characters.

Although I hope There's more Megaman stuff, maybe a new fighter? Nah, impossible.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Konami - Gives Sakurai 34 Castlevania related music tracks.
Square - Gives Sakurai... 2 Final Fantasy VII tracks, neither of which are remixed.

Umm... Square? Do we need to have a talk?

KMDP

Smash Legend
So far each of the big 3 wants has been an end of direct reveal.

Calling it. Geno if in? He'll be revealed in a Smash Direct proper before the game's release.
Didn't Sakurai say everyone would be revealed before release?

'Course, he could be lying and there's one character who doesn't get revealed. Goku.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So I'm really buying that a new story mode is coming. I've noticed a general darker tone in the newcomer trailers and with the potential of the blurred out menu option being called "Spirits," I think it all ties into a story like mode with a darker tone than Subspace.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It started as a manga to promote the games though.
The manga is still running and differs from the game. Its a multimedia franchise which originated as a manga. Similar to that of yugioh. All forms of media promote each other.

Polan

Smash Lord
some quick thoughts on the direct

simon and richter look cool as ****, was expecting k. rool but not on this direct. guess i was wrong about chrom/dark samus. also mimikyu as a pokeball and ashley as an assist - saw that coming from like a mile away. bit sad that shovel knight is an assist but hey he's in good company.

also ADVENTURE MODE HYPE

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
I predict the next direct, probably in Sept. It's dog vs cat as opposed to the heroes vs villains.

It's gonna be Isabelle vs Incineroar
I don't think it's going to be in September unless it's a General direct.

Next info dump will probably be October-November.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Alright, what is this “Custom Handicap” option? I know it’s not handicap because handicap is shown off later. Does it have to do with Mii Fighters?

It says “Custom Balance,” not “Custom Handicap.” One thing I think it could possibly be is allowing you to set what is basically the equipment from Smash 4, except just being to set it directly without the actual equipment, allowing you to rebalance the game if you so choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom