• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I had a wild dream that Sakurai announced this would be his step down from Smash for real at the end of DLC and that his final DLC character was actually called ''President" and you could choose between various past and president Nintendo presidents from Nintendo Japan/America, etc.

They had a moveset based on using various gadgets and things from Nintendo's history like controllers, Hanafuda cards, consoles, amiibo, etc to fight.

I woke up thinking it was such a strange, but actually cool idea that would be my only way I'd like REAL people in Smash Brothers considering how the Presidents and the various things they were using in my dream ARE a huge part of Nintendo history.
You know, this sort of reminds me of a crazy idea I had one time. I had the perfect idea of who the final DLC character for Ultimate might be. Prepare for a long-ass conspiracy theory.

Masahiro Sakurai.

Okay, I know what you're thinking. I'm crazy. Yes, I know. But please, just hear me out.

• Completely out of the blue and unexpected: Sakurai loves these picks. He loves WTF characters that absolutely nobody could have guessed., guys that came straight out of left field to make our jaws drop in disbelief. And Sakurai including himself as the very last newcomer in the Smash series would be exactly that, except amplified by 150%.
  • Relevancy/Importance to the Smash series: .....Well, Sakurai is literally the creator of the series. You can't get much more tied to the series than that.
  • Representation: Right now, in spite of overall having much more content than even the Mario universe, the Smash Bros universe is pretty lacking in playable characters. Technically, the only characters representing the Smash universe are the Mii Fighters (they have the Smash logo as their series symbol). Sakurai would be the first full-fledged playable rep of the Smash universe (since Miis didn't originate in Smash).
  • Can he dance (meaning What is unique about him?): Big one right here. Unlike any other addition to Smash, Sakurai could do literally anything he wanted for his own Smash moveset and it would make total sense. He'd have complete, 100% freedom to do whatever he pleased, no matter how outlandish.
Sakurai passes the Sakurai test for a unique newcomer with flying colors. He fits all the marks for a completely ridiculous, yet absolutely perfect final inclusion. And seeing as how this game is being designed as if it's the last (and I honestly think it WILL be the last), this would also be a bittersweet, but unforgettable bookend to Smash.

...........I put way too much thought into this, didn't I? Damn it, now I actually want this to happen

Last edited:

Regimaster57

Smash Rookie
Red - Elma
Orange - Bandana Dee
Yellow - Isaac
Green - Decidueye
Blue - Hector
Purple - IDK Marx?
Pink - U̶t̶e̶n̶a̶ Melia
Brown - uh,,, Simon Belmont
White - Reimu
Black - Edelgard

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I know I'm a bit late for this but is it REALLY that necessary to represent every Pokemon generation with an equal amount of playable characters? That's what Poke Balls are for.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Also, what’s with all the Reimu in leaks lately???
Not sure. I don't know whether to be happy that she's gaining coverage in leaks, or concerned that she'll be the new dead horse getting beat like all the rest safe/popular picks in the leaks

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
alright fine, let's discuss echo fighters again

I prefer as many echo fighters and alt costumes as possible because we're honestly past a point where we need to be "prestigious" about who makes it in. If it's an original moveset? Sure, but if it's something easy to copy to appease fans, and there's at least a small base that wants it? I really don't see why not. It's way worse when you have a costume that kinda looks like those characters but isn't actually acknowledging it (Hi, Peach's Daisy alt, for the longest time)

At it's core, Smash is a marketing game anyways, so give me a Midbus echo fighter. Give me a Chrom echo or Celica/Alm. Gimme a Hilda echo or Alt (like Alph has for Olimar)
I would kind of see Hilda the same way as I see Dark Pit. Terribly unnecessary but still a potentially cool thing to have. I won't be heartbroken or surprised if she doesn't make it in but it'd still be kind of nice. She and Ravio are probably the saving graces of ALBW's otherwise super forgettable story (and as much as I love Ravio, he wouldn't really work as a Link Echo). It'd also probably scratch that itch somewhat for people who miss TP's more edgy stoic take on Zelda.

Of course she'd still be no substitute for a real Zelda newcomer - I'd still want Skull Kid or Vaati on top of that - but it's not like echoes actually steal roster spots.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You know, this sort of reminds me of a crazy idea I had one time. I had the perfect idea of who the final DLC character for Ultimate might be. Prepare for a long-*** conspiracy theory.

Masahiro Sakurai.

Okay, I know what you're thinking. I'm crazy. Yes, I know. But please, just hear me out.

• Completely out of the blue and unexpected: Sakurai loves these picks. He loves WTF characters that absolutely nobody could have guessed., guys that came straight out of left field to make our jaws drop in disbelief. And Sakurai including himself as the very last newcomer in the Smash series would be exactly that, except amplified by 150%.
  • Relevancy/Importance to the Smash series: .....Well, Sakurai is literally the creator of the series. You can't get much more tied to the series than that.
  • Representation: Right now, in spite of overall having much more content than even the Mario universe, the Smash Bros universe is pretty lacking in playable characters. Technically, the only characters representing the Smash universe are the Mii Fighters (they have the Smash logo as their series symbol). Sakurai would be the first full-fledged playable rep of the Smash universe (since Miis didn't originate in Smash).
  • Can he dance (meaning What is unique about him?): Big one right here. Unlike any other addition to Smash, Sakurai could do literally anything he wanted for his own Smash moveset and it would make total sense. He'd have complete, 100% freedom to do whatever he pleased, no matter how outlandish.
Sakurai passes the Sakurai test for a unique newcomer with flying colors. He fits all the marks for a completely ridiculous, yet absolutely perfect final inclusion. And seeing as how this game is being designed as if it's the last (and I honestly think it WILL be the last), this would also be a bittersweet, but unforgettable bookend to Smash.

...........I put way too much thought into this, didn't I? Damn it, now I actually want this to happen
You put a non-zero amount of effort into this and for that...

I am both incredibly impressed and simultaneously disappointed beyond all words.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
And seeing as how this game is being designed as if it's the last (and I honestly think it WILL be the last), this would also be a bittersweet, but unforgettable bookend to Smash.
You say all this to justify Sakurai as a character but miss the detail where he explicitly said that he doesn't think this will be the last game.

Sakurai said:
Smash is one of Nintendo’s premiere titles. Even though Smash doesn’t put out a lot of merchandise besides amiibo, Smash supports a lot of other games, serving a sort of promotional role. In addition, since it’s a huge collaborative project, it exerts a large influence on other titles. So there’s always the possibility of another Smash game being released, and it’s possible there might be a Smash someday that I’m not involved in.
Smash is Special - Part 2

This is just one of the related quotes I can find about this more than likely not being the last one.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Give me originality or give me death.
sprucing hot take and I don't think you're ready for it: I don't think originality inherently lays with good. Smash 4 had a bunch of characters that, while I love them, were broken either from a programming standpoint (Greninja, Pac-Man, Bowser Jr. all feature various bugs; Robin, Shulk, Villagers, etc were all more obnoxious to use until their Smash 4 changes) or a balancing standpoint (lol Bayo)

Not that I'm saying not to include newcomers or only include echo's, but, I find myself typically preferring characters when they're based off of something already in Smash or it's their second iteration (at least) of said character.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I wouldn't mind customs getting removed even though the only real problem I had with them is the equipment (which literally only made sense for Smash Run purposes) and the ****ing hair-pulling way you unlocked new ones by finding it in a sea of dupes of customs you already had. If they removed you having a chance of getting duplicates of customs you already owned, it would make it much more rewarding to get custom moves.

However if customs are getting pulled, I'd rework the Miis into an entirely different character. IMO the Miis were made as an ad for custom moves. With them gone, I'd remake them into something that actually pays homage to games where they star in (Wii Sports, Pilotwings, Miitopia, those numerous Streetpass games, etc. etc.)
TBH, if custom moves get removed, that's all the more reason to let Miis keep their customs.

Similar to how PT's transformation character mechanic has become something unique to them, Customizable moves are something that could be kept unique to Miis.

Miis are all about being customizable after all. Removing the custom moves would take away from why the Miis exist in the first place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I bet that customs are not getting removed at all.

They will probably make customs much better and improved and every character gets it.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

They will probably make customs much better and improved and every character gets it.
Man, imagine what Cloud and Bayonetta's customs would be like.

In fact, let's make a game of it! Try and come up with customs for the DLC characters from Smash 4/returning veterans/all new characters.

For example:
Inkling Down-B
Custom 1: Splat Bomb
Custom 2: Burst Bomb (doesn't do as much damage, but explodes as soon as it touches the ground/an opponent)
Custom 3: Curling Bomb (travels directly forward, explodes after a certain amount of time. can fall off ledges)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I do wish that they return, because their potential does exist. And of course, most custom specials use the same animations as the defaults.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/blog/index.html

Great Plateau Tower is on the blog. Nothing we haven't figured out already, but this DOES mean both of our confirmed new stages have been covered.

...Of course there are TONS of old stages still, but y'know.
There's still that New Donk City stage that we all know is a thing but Nintendo for some reason assumes we don't

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
sprucing hot take and I don't think you're ready for it: I don't think originality inherently lays with good. Smash 4 had a bunch of characters that, while I love them, were broken either from a programming standpoint (Greninja, Pac-Man, Bowser Jr. all feature various bugs; Robin, Shulk, Villagers, etc were all more obnoxious to use until their Smash 4 changes) or a balancing standpoint (lol Bayo)

Not that I'm saying not to include newcomers or only include echo's, but, I find myself typically preferring characters when they're based off of something already in Smash or it's their second iteration (at least) of said character.
Well no, of course being "original" isn't a guarantee for being good, pleasant to fight, or balanced. However, I think there's a line to be drawn for being original because that's what the character inherently is and being original for the sake of being original, ie gimmicky, which is more what causes this "brokenness".
(And even then, that gimmick usually deviates from canon quite a bit, for example Shulk whom I pushed hard to be in Smash, but hate how he plays.)

Besides that, my point wasn't that characters should have a certain gimmick to them, it's that they should draw from their source material to be actual fanservice instead of lip service. It's the difference between saying "We love this character and want you to know it" compared to "We acknowledge the existence of this character."

Basically, I hate that some characters I like don't do anything that makes them, them.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Time for another FORUM GAME

Except this one is kind of good.

Make a reveal trailer for your most wanted newcomer(s). The trailer can have as many characters as you want, ranging from a simple trailer with 1 character (like Megaman or Wii Fit Trainer), to a complex trailer with 5 - 6 characters (like Brawl's reveal trailer).

I'll start:
Smash Logo. Begins with a large shot of Bowser's. Cut to one of the hallways leading up to the throne room. A shadow is jumping between columns, taking down Goombas, Koopas, and other mooks. A lone Shy Guy stands alert, ready for a fight. The shadow vaults over the Shy Guy, taking it's mask off, and says, "I'll reveal your true form!" The shadow stands behind the Shy Guy and stands up, revealing Joker from Persona 5 as he summons Arsen behind him. Newcomer splash: "Joker steals the show!" Commence gameplay. Background music is Last Surprise. Joker's moveset revolves around the use of various Persona that can perform different attacks. Most of his attacks use Arsen, but he also uses series staples like Jack Frost and Jack-o"-Lantern. His final Smash has him pull out his model gun and shoot the opponent(s) in front of him, stunning them. Following that, he uses an All-Out Attack with Ryuji, Ann, and Morgana on those stunned. The post scene is Joker busting into the treasure room, which holds a kidnapped Princess Peach. Behind him you can hear Bowser roar. Trailer end.

I might make one for Sora if I can think of one.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Well no, of course being "original" isn't a guarantee for being good, pleasant to fight, or balanced. However, I think there's a line to be drawn for being original because that's what the character inherently is and being original for the sake of being original, ie gimmicky, which is more what causes this "brokenness".
(And even then, that gimmick usually deviates from canon quite a bit, for example Shulk whom I pushed hard to be in Smash, but hate how he plays.)

Besides that, my point wasn't that characters should have a certain gimmick to them, it's that they should draw from their source material to be actual fanservice instead of lip service. It's the difference between saying "We love this character and want you to know it" compared to "We acknowledge the existence of this character."

Basically, I hate that some characters I like don't do anything that makes them, them.
it... I can see your point, but it really depends on how we're going about "doesn't do anything that makes them them" - Like, I'd say if you get any weirder than something like Ganondorf, you've probably crossed "why" territory. Captain Falcon's moveset is like completely made from thin air, though.

as long as the moveset isn't like a total disgrace, let's just have some fun.

D

Deleted member

If we are going with poster analysis.
Popo is clearly smacking something (and not just swinging his hammer) but there is nothing there to smack.

Could it be a spot where a future character will go?
Popo is so good at Smash reads he reads the characters moves before the characters themselves are officially announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Make a reveal trailer for your most wanted newcomer(s). The trailer can have as many characters as you want, ranging from a simple trailer with 1 character (like Megaman or Wii Fit Trainer), to a complex trailer with 5 - 6 characters (like Brawl's reveal trailer).

I'll start:
Smash Logo. Begins with a large shot of Bowser's. Cut to one of the hallways leading up to the throne room. A shadow is jumping between columns, taking down Goombas, Koopas, and other mooks. A lone Shy Guy stands alert, ready for a fight. The shadow vaults over the Shy Guy, taking it's mask off, and says, "I'll reveal your true form!" The shadow stands behind the Shy Guy and stands up, revealing Joker from Persona 5 as he summons Arsen behind him. Newcomer splash: "Joker steals the show!" Commence gameplay. Joker's moveset revolves around the use of various Persona that can perform different attacks. Most of his attacks use Arsen, but he also uses series staples like Jack Frost and Jack-o"-Lantern. His final Smash has him pull out his model gun and shoot the opponent(s) in front of him, stunning them. Following that, he uses an All-Out Attack with Ryuji, Ann, and Morgana on those stunned. The post scene is Joker busting into the treasure room, which holds a kidnapped Princess Peach. Behind him you can hear Bowser roar. Trailer end.

Which song plays during gameplay??? (*Cough* Last Surprise and Life Will Change are the only real reasons I want Joker *Cough*)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I'll start:
Smash Logo. Begins with a large shot of Bowser's. Cut to one of the hallways leading up to the throne room. A shadow is jumping between columns, taking down Goombas, Koopas, and other mooks. A lone Shy Guy stands alert, ready for a fight. The shadow vaults over the Shy Guy, taking it's mask off, and says, "I'll reveal your true form!" The shadow stands behind the Shy Guy and stands up, revealing Joker from Persona 5 as he summons Arsen behind him. Newcomer splash: "Joker steals the show!" Commence gameplay. Joker's moveset revolves around the use of various Persona that can perform different attacks. Most of his attacks use Arsen, but he also uses series staples like Jack Frost and Jack-o"-Lantern. His final Smash has him pull out his model gun and shoot the opponent(s) in front of him, stunning them. Following that, he uses an All-Out Attack with Ryuji, Ann, and Morgana on those stunned. The post scene is Joker busting into the treasure room, which holds a kidnapped Princess Peach. Behind him you can hear Bowser roar. Trailer end.

Yay, I get to promote some trailers I wrote up in Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom ’s Direct a Trailer! thread!

Trailer is titled “Good Things Come In Small Packages”

The spoken dialogue in this trailer comes from new Snake codecs for Bowser Jr. and Bandana Dee.

After the cross slash, the scene unfolds to show Zelda and Kirby on the new Planet Robobot-themed stage cornered by Wario and Bowser Jr. Zelda and Kirby are ultimately no match against Wario and Bowser Jr.'s motorcycle and Junior Clown Car, respectively. Watching from afar in a cardboard box, Snake opens a Codec conversation with Mei Ling.

"Who's the little Koopa guy in that funny looking car? He kinda looks like Bowser."

"That's because he's Bowser's son," Mei Ling says. "That's Bowser Jr. He loves to cause trouble and hates to lose."

"I can see that much," Snake comments. "Just like his old man..." He trails off when he notices King Dedede and a small, spear-toting, bandana-wearing Waddle Dee running next to him as "Moonstruck Blossom" from Kirby Triple Deluxe starts playing, and Dedede and the Waddle Dee wail almost effortlessly on Wario and Bowser Jr. "Hey, Mei Ling, what's the deal with that Waddle Dee with the spear?"

"Aww, isn't he adorable?" Mei Ling coos. "Focus, Mei Ling..." Snake grunts, slightly annoyed that he's not getting a solid explanation.

"Oh, sorry," Mei Ling stammers. "That's Bandana Dee." Cue the title card:

Bandana Dee Waddles Into Battle!

As gameplay footage plays, including a scene where BD taunts by twirling around on his spear while Palutena does her "spinning" taunt, and a scene where BD is seen alongside King Dedede, Kirby and Meta Knight as a reference to Return to Dreamland, as well as showing off BD's Final Smash at the end, Snake and Mei Ling continue their discussion.

"Not the most creative name..." Snake comments. "But who exactly is he?"

"He's King Dedede's closest follower, and also a good friend of Kirby's."

"Wait, wait, wait," Snake says. "He's chummy with both Kirby AND Kirby's arch nemesis?"

"Well, there have been occasions in the past where Kirby had to team up with King Dedede against some threats to Dreamland," Mei Ling explains. "And sometimes, this little guy would come along to help. As the saying goes, 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend.'"

"Sounds complicated, but I can buy it. You know, though...for such a small guy he packs a big punch." At this point, BD's Final Smash is being shown.

"He's a very smart fighter, and perhaps the only Waddle Dee who can match up to Kirby in strength."

"Interesting..."

The Smash Bros. Ultimate logo appears as the music fades out. A few seconds pass, and the scene fades back into CGI. With Wario and Bowser Jr. gone, King Dedede whips out a picnic basket out of thin air, setting out the cloth and pulling some slices of cake on small plates out of the basket. Zelda smiles and gasps in delight as Kirby and Bandana Dee jump up and down excitedly, the three later grabbing their slices of cake.

"This little guy also has the same passion for sweets as Kirby," Mei Ling adds, giggling.

"Oh, please don't start gushing about how--" Snake begins, but is ultimately cut off by Mei Ling's adoring coos.

"He's so cuuuuuuute~!" Mei Ling squeals.

Sighing in a slightly frustrated manner, Snake gripes, "Mei Ling, please...I don't do 'cute'." The trailer ends.

Trailer is titled, “We’ll Get Back The Life For Ourselves Today”, a snippet of the lyrics to Xenoblade X’s Tyrant battle theme, “Uncontrollable”.

This trailer comes after a hypothetical Nintendo Direct around August or September. The following are announced: Xenoblade Chronicles X Director's Cut for Switch; F-Zero SX, which features anime/video game voice actor Crispin Freeman as the VO of Captain Falcon; more info on Xenoblade 2 DLC (including new DLC in which Elma and Lin are downloadable Blades), Bayonetta 3, and the new Fire Emblem; and a confirmation of Final Fantasy VII Remake ported to Switch. Trailer is also fully voiced a la Robin's from 2014. In addition, Steve Burton finally voices Cloud in English for Smash. In this trailer, the characters introduced in Rex's half (himself, Pyra, Bayonetta, Shulk, and the three antagonists) are animated in the Xeno2 style, while Elma and her "crew" are animated in the Xeno X style.

The trailer opens with the new minimalist Cross-Slash we saw in Ridley's trailer. The camera zooms on footsteps dashing across shallow water in an area in Farlaine Wells. Camera angle changes to show Shulk and Bayonetta running from something as "Counterattack” from Xenoblade 2 plays.

It is later revealed that they are running from Wolf and Ganondorf.
"Think we bit off more than we can chew?" Shulk asks Bayonetta, briefly side-glancing at her. Continuing to look straight ahead, Bayonetta replies, "I normally like the attention, but even this is a bit much." As the two pass a series of trees, the camera briefly cuts to a shadowy trio hiding up in the foliage - one tall, muscular man, and two slim young women, one with long hair and one with short hair. The three are crouching, and the short haired woman says, "We move on my cue." The two people accompanying her, as well as a mysterious voice over a telecom, all say "Roger."
After a while the two are caught in a pincer attack formation, with Bowser blocking the way ahead as the other two villains catch up to Shulk and Bayonetta.
"You again..." Shulk mutters upon seeing Bowser blocking the way. Covering Shulk's back, Bayonetta aims her pistols at Wolf and Ganondorf and declares, "Don't gloat cause you just happened to catch me on a bad day."
As the three are about to close in on Shulk and Bayo, a voice shouts "Let's show them a thing or three!" Rex and Pyra drop in between the three baddies and knock them away with a spinning attack.

The camera zooms in on the Blade and Driver duo, which then cuts to Rex asking the other two (at this point Counterattack is at the 0:47 mark), "You guys okay?" As the other two get into a battle stance, Pyra gently touches Rex on the shoulder and says, "We can do this...together."
The song is at the 0:51 mark as the two strike an epic battle pose and the title card appears:

Rex & Pyra Strengthen Their Bond!

The trailer then alternates between CGI footage of Rex, Pyra, Shulk and Bayonetta fighting their hardest against Wolf, Ganondorf and Bowser, and gameplay footage. At one point, Rex and Pyra are doing a taunt alongside the three other "duo" characters - Duck Hunt, Rosalina and Luma, and the Ice Climbers. Midway through, Addam and Mythra, their Echo Fighters, are shown off in gameplay, with text at the bottom saying "Introducing their Echo Fighters, Addam and Mythra!" Near the end of the gameplay segment, Rex and Pyra are showing off their final smash against Daisy, Mewtwo, and Snake, Prominence Revolt, as well as Addam and Mythra's Final Smash, Sacred Arrow, against Inkling, Villager, and Zero Suit Samus.

The Smash Bros. Ultimate logo appears as Counterattack fades out at the 1:25 mark...

But wait, there's more!

Uncontrollable (Instrumental) starts to fade in at the 1:50 mark as the logo fades out and back to the CGI footage:

The CGI footage shows Shulk, Bayonetta, Rex and Pyra on the verge of defeat. Rex and Pyra are crouching over speechless, with Pyra trying to comfort Rex. Leaning his weight onto the Monado digging into the ground, Shulk mutters "How did I not see this..."
Struggling to stand up, Bayonetta groans, "You've got to be...kidding me..."
Wolf first walks toward Bayonetta menacingly, but just before the first drum beat, Captain Falcon (with his F-Zero SX VO) shouts, "Falcon...PUNCH!!" and punches Wolf, knocking him away. The two briefly flash smug grins at each other before he helps her up. In the seconds before the next drum beat, Bowser is about to close in on a wincing Shulk when he is sent flying as well. Shulk cautiously lowers his guard to see Lucina standing before him, smiling serenely.
"Lucina!"
As Ganondorf is about to attack a cowering Rex and Pyra, a woman's voice shouts, "Shadow Strike!" and a shadowy female figure lunges downward in a spinning somersault with her blades out. The smoke after Ganondorf flies off clears to reveal Elma, revered BLADE Colonel, standing with a confident smile as the guitars kick in. The camera then pans to an Ares 90 flying in with the three assisting fighters, and it's revealed that Cloud (voiced by Steve Burton) is piloting it, as he says over the Skell's PA, "Sorry I took so long, it's not exactly easy flying this thing."
Turning back, Elma reassures him, "You're doing just fine." Turning to the three fighters she and her crew saved from a pinch earlier, she says, "You guys look like you could use a hand...or four."

Elma Reclaims Her Drive?!

The song proceeds into its second "chorus" as once again the trailer alternates between gameplay footage of Elma, showing off her basic moves and the Lin assist trophy before showing her Ares 90 final smash against King Dedede and Wario, and more CGI footage as Wolf, Ganondorf and Bowser activate their Final Smashes. At around 2:34, after Ganondorf and Wolf are defeated, Giga Bowser stands before the remaining fighters and Elma says, "Time for a change of plan." She runs toward the Ares 90, saying "Cloud, you know what to do." Lucina and CF stand by just before the Skell, giving Elma a boost as she somersaults into the Ares's cockpit as Cloud hops out. Cloud joins everyone else while Elma activates the Skell and flies toward Giga Bowser.
The song is now at the 2:47 mark as gameplay footage is briefly shown showing off Elma's True Form alt, as her voiceover says, "Strength comes from experience. That's true on any planet.", showing off footage of her in her True Form alt, first doing an idle animation next to Lucina on the FE:A stage, then taunting next to CF on Port Town Aero Dive, then fighting next to Cloud on Midgar, before cutting to CGI of Rex and Pyra opening on Giga Bowser with an attack, followed by CF launching Bowser in the air, Bayonetta knocking Bowser higher and tossing Shulk, Cloud and Lucina upward to land more attacks, and finally cutting over to Elma aiming her Skell's Aghasura Cannon at Bowser. Back to gameplay, Elma, again in her True Form alt, is shown using her Overdrive Final Smash against Ridley and female Corrin, with every Soul Voice succeeding and finishing with Hundred Shells.
The song is now at 3:15 as we cut back to CGI. Cloud and Shulk stick their landings with their swords and Bayonetta, Rex and Pyra run up to the others as Elma lands the Ares. As she steps out, she says, "Good job, everyone."
Looking curiously at the Skell, Shulk remarks, "What manner of Face Mechon is this?" Chuckling, Elma corrects him, "It's actually a Skell." Looking around, Elma asks, "Wait, where are the others?"
"Looks like someone's about to make a heroic rescue!" Bayonetta calls out, pointing to something above. Rex, Pyra, and the aforementioned others direct their attention to Lucina falling from where she leapt to attack Bowser, and Captain Falcon dashing toward the Ares, leaping onto its leg, then leaping toward Lucina to catch her in his arms as the song is now at 3:28. After he safely lands with Lucina in his arms and Lucina looks at Falcon with a pleasantly surprised expression on her face and murmuring "You...saved me?", Pyra comments, "Looks like Rex and I aren't the only ones to have grown closer lately!"
"Ah..." Lucina stammers as she's gently let down, still flustered by the fact that her rival on the battlefield four years ago saved her this time around. Falcon remarks, "I guess a lot has changed since we last saw each other."
Everyone chuckles as the camera pans out and fades to white and the song ends.

In case anyone is confused as to why Elma has two Final Smashes (like Ryu) it’s because a move set I made for her includes a TP Gauge gimmick just like from X. Her final smash is Ares 90 with four selectable Skell arts and a time limit at 0-2999 TP, and Overdrive with three special arts at 3000 TP.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, got it done finally.
There was this post on the Smash Reddit that I thought was cool so here it is.

Can your most wanted character pass the "Sakurai" Test?

You must answer each question with detailed answers and not with simple yes or no responses. I have included Sakurai’s quotes to justify my questions. I am also limiting my questions based on what quotes that I can find from Sakurai that way i'm not projecting anything I believe should be asked for the character.

Here are the questions

1. How relevant/popular is your character within the Nintendo franchise? The proposal/planning for Ultimate began circa December 2015. Was your character popular in and around that time?

2. Is your character's franchise already represented in Smash? Do you believe that the franchise is under or over represented? If the franchise is not currently represented in Smash, why do you believe it should be?

3. Can your Character Dance? Meaning: What is unique about your character? Does your character potentially offer a fighting style that is unique to the roster?

For any third party characters

1. How iconic is your character within its own company? Would you say it is the #1 most iconic character that they have made? Is your character the protagonist of its own series? Explain.

2. Are both Parties (Companies) open to letting the character be in Smash? Has the creator of the character stated openly that they would allow the use of their IP?

3. Can your Character Dance? Meaning: What is unique about your character? Does your character potentially offer a fighting style that is unique to the roster?

Here's the original post: https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/90zqq0/can_your_most_wanted_character_pass_the_sakurai/
So, Dovahkiin essentially has a 0.0000001% chance of getting in, but I still support!

How relevant/popular is your character within the Nintendo franchise? The proposal/planning for Ultimate began circa December 2015. Was your character popular in and around that time?
Skyrim was never really a Nintendo game until October 2016, when it was announced with the Switch. Before that, Bethesda's games as a whole were much too large and 'adult' to even be considered for a Nintendo console, which still carries the "for kids" baggage along with it. Skyrim's announcement on the Switch effectively proved that Nintendo was no longer a 'kids' console, and even brought features that no other edition of Skyrim has (portability, Zelda gear). Notably, Skyrim was the second game shown off on the Switch after Zelda: BotW (even before Mario was shown), proving that Nintendo wanted to use Skyrim to prove itself as a true next-gen console.
Beyond that, Skyrim's brand of Western RPG is something that isn't really displayed in Smash - most RPG elements are from standard JRPGs with anime-eqsue protagonists. The closest thing is honestly Link in his new BotW look, which plays a lot more like Skyrim than other Zelda series games. It very much feels like BotW borrowed some elements from Skyrim, made them their own, and then Skyrim included homages to BotW in its Switch edition.
Unfortunately, timing is not working well. Skyrim for Switch didn't release until November 2017, despite an October 2016 announcement. The game was probably in development early-mid 2016, which may be just after the roster was chosen late 2015-early 2016. Also, as many people took the ballot to only include games on Nintendo consoles, Skyrim missed the entirety of the ballot timeframe.
How iconic is your character within its own company? Would you say it is the #1 most iconic character that they have made? Is your character the protagonist of its own series? Explain.
Bethesda's got quite a few notable series, but Fallout and the Elder Scrolls are the big names in open-world RPGs. The issue here is the fact that, as RPGs, the player characters are avatars and have completely customizable features. However, Bethesda's marketing has been moving towards relatively consistent default looks for their protagonists - Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 really have no set character, but almost every piece of marketing for Skyrim or Fallout 4 has used the same male Nord Dragonborn (wearing Iron armor with the exception of a Studded Cuirass and the iconic Iron Helm) or Nate (or Nora or Vault Boy) respectively. Fallout also has yet to be ported to a Nintendo console, leaving Skyrim as the big Western RPG here.
Skyrim (and Elder Scrolls in general) is also popular to the point of being memetic - who hasn't heard of an "arrow in the knee" joke? The page on KnowYourMeme alone also lists several suppages of various memes spun out from the game itself.
As of now, Dovahkiin's biggest inter-company competition would be the protagonist of Doom. Doom is one of the progenitors of the FPS genre (another genre not represented in Smash) with history behind it as well. Still, Doom is significantly more violent than the Elder Scrolls series, and the protagonist does share conceptual overlaps with other companies' characters like Microsoft's Master Chief or even Nintendo's Samus.
Are both Parties (Companies) open to letting the character be in Smash? Has the creator of the character stated openly that they would allow the use of their IP?
While I naturally can't speak to the inter-company relationships of Bethesda and Nintendo, Bethesda has started to port several of its larger games (Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout: Shelter) to the Switch. Also, Todd Howard has said that he is interested in continuing the relationship with Nintendo and the Switch.
As to whether Bethesda would allow Skyrim to be ported to something else...it's even been ported to Alexa at this point. To say Bethesda is interested in porting Skyrim to everything possible is an understatement.
Can your Character Dance? Meaning: What is unique about your character? Does your character potentially offer a fighting style that is unique to the roster?
Dovahkiin would naturally rely on swordsmanship as all of the concept art has shown him with a Steel Longsword. He's also equally been seen with a dagger in his off-hand to represent the new Dual-wielding mechanic in Skyrim (Smash currently has no dual-wielders) and a shield representing the more offensive uses of a shield i.e. bashes (the only shield-users in Smash currently are the Links, and they do nothing more than guard with it). While Dovahkiin could use any number of weapons in Skyrim, those alone make his normals quite unique amonst the cast.
His specials would encompass the Dragon Shouts. Unrelenting Force (memetic in itself) is the most well-known and would work best for a neutral special (and to see Dovah-Kirby squeak Fus Ro Dah!), while other dragon shouts could make up the rest of his special moves. Each shout in Skyrim comes as three words of power, i.e. charge states, so all of the Dragonborn's shouts could encompass this mechanic. A longer charge could lead to a more powerful attack, similar to Robin's neutral special.
In Skyrim, all Shouts are connected to a cooldown timer, so that concept could easily be used in Smash. As each shout has three charge states, they would each start a cooldown whose length depends on the shout in question. Until the timer has cleared up, Dovahkiin would be gimped with only the uncharged version of each shout.
I have a full moveset here, in case anyone's interested. And of course, feedback is always appreciated!

EDIT:....!!!! did I seriously write that much?!

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I'll start:
Smash Logo. Begins with a large shot of Bowser's. Cut to one of the hallways leading up to the throne room. A shadow is jumping between columns, taking down Goombas, Koopas, and other mooks. A lone Shy Guy stands alert, ready for a fight. The shadow vaults over the Shy Guy, taking it's mask off, and says, "I'll reveal your true form!" The shadow stands behind the Shy Guy and stands up, revealing Joker from Persona 5 as he summons Arsen behind him. Newcomer splash: "Joker steals the show!" Commence gameplay. Background music is Last Surprise. Joker's moveset revolves around the use of various Persona that can perform different attacks. Most of his attacks use Arsen, but he also uses series staples like Jack Frost and Jack-o"-Lantern. His final Smash has him pull out his model gun and shoot the opponent(s) in front of him, stunning them. Following that, he uses an All-Out Attack with Ryuji, Ann, and Morgana on those stunned. The post scene is Joker busting into the treasure room, which holds a kidnapped Princess Peach. Behind him you can hear Bowser roar. Trailer end.

Yeah, I'm not nearly as creative enough for that ****

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually something that kinda bothered me was adding Fiora in Shulk's final smash. So basically the original being the fact that you could only do a chain attack with 3 people was ripped away to put in Fiora, which is fine, but if you're gonna add Fiora why not add everyone else? :rolleyes: Mega Man got away with it.

Give me originality or give me death.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Geolyte is certainly an interesting choice, since the game he originates from is a Sakurai based game, but I do not see why Sakurai would choose him over other newcomers. It is just a strange IP to bring back attention to, and I cannot see any way that Sakurai could lead to him picking a character from Meteos, unless he purposely wants to look into the nook and cranny to find out-there newcomers.

D

Deleted member

Actually something that kinda bothered me was adding Fiora in Shulk's final smash. So basically the original being the fact that you could only do a chain attack with 3 people was ripped away to put in Fiora, which is fine, but if you're gonna add Fiora why not add everyone else? :rolleyes: Mega Man got away with it.
This could've been fixed if they just removed Riki from Shulk's Final Smash. He's still an assist trophy, so it's not like he'd be deleted from the game.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Geolyte is certainly an interesting choice, since the game he originates from is a Sakurai based game, but I do not see why Sakurai would choose him over other newcomers. It is just a strange IP to bring back attention to, and I cannot see any way that Sakurai could lead to him picking a character from Meteos, unless he purposely wants to look into the nook and cranny to find out-there newcomers.
it feels more like something someone would fake as an "out there" choice, but then when people look up what the heck it even is they find out sakurai developed it and suddenly it seems plausible. also they are super easy to fake a pic of cause they are 2D.

basically props to the leaker for the smart choice of character haha

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This could've been fixed if they just removed Riki from Shulk's Final Smash. He's still an assist trophy, so it's not like he'd be deleted from the game.
Also, Chain Attacks in Xenoblade are typically with a three member party. Leaving it as just Dunban and Riki would have been fine.

What gets me more is the fact that Fiora’s model is insanely detailed, even having her signature drones and more elaborate animations than Dunban and Riki.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Or replace them all with Reyn True, but I'd rather add everyone. Even if Riki was admittedly the least relevant/needed party member, he's still beloved probably just because of the Nopon race existing.

I'd like it if Riki's theme was also in Smash in some way.

Can't beat a true masterpiece. :p

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The trailers starts with Doctor Mario facing off with R.O.B. in the Electro Planktin stage. Doc throws a frenzy of pills which the Robotic Operating Buddy reflects back at him with his side special, but Doc is swiftly able to jump out of the way of the attack. Doc stumbles and loses his balance on landing, however. R.O.B. sees this opening and starts charging up his lazer for the final blow when suddenly, out of nowhere, a giant sideways L drops from the sky and crushes R.O.B. underneath it.

TETRIS BLOCK
DROPS IN

*Insert epic gameplay montage with Russian folk music here*

The trailer is finished with a final cinematic where a shadow of a large man falls upon Doctor Mario, Tetris Block, and Sonic. A familiar voice then speaks. "Well, well, well, if it isn't Tetris Block. Snooping as usual I see. We'll see what my Mean Bean Machine has to say about that".

I'm obviously joking btw.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What gets me more is the fact that Fiora’s model is insanely detailed, even having her signature drones and more elaborate animations than Dunban and Riki.
I still don't see relevance in that, Fiora's a relatively new model in the game. Of course she's gonna look more polished compared to the Wii U ported models. I mean, Riki's an assist trophy. Fiora could have gotten the same treatment as a big assist spoiler trophy.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Watch as future 4chan leaks add the Geolytes to their leak lists now. And yueah I noticed Reimu being in leak lists too. As much as it would be really cool to see her in the game. It doesn't seem likely for that to happen.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

At that point, they should've said **** IT and gone straight to
Monado III

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Custom specials for anything but Mii fighters are a waste of time. There's just no convenient way to incorporate them in to any kind of gameplay.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There's still that New Donk City stage that we all know is a thing but Nintendo for some reason assumes we don't
It’s moreso of the fact that they don’t think we’re worthy of seeing NDC and Modern Pauline due to how her beautiful voice and city took the gaming world by storm
Custom specials for anything but Mii fighters are a waste of time. There's just no convenient way to incorporate them in to any kind of gameplay.
Customs were the saving grace of Palutena and Mega Man customs were just great in general

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
At that point, they should've said **** IT and gone straight to
Monado III
Zanza trophy when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom