• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

When I said Link's range is better, I was not lying. LOL.
I can't be the only one who thinks Link's model looks off right? the hair looks plastic, his face looks wrong especially the mouth and his idle pose looks weird too.

To be fair though a lot of the characters look off right now, Wolf and ZSS especially, hopefully they're fixed up before release

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have this idea that every 3rd party character will get an echo but there's one major snag.

Snake: Naked Snake/BigBoss
Sonic: Shadow/Metal Sonic
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Ryu: Ken (that's how he started after all)
Cloud: Zack
Bayonetta: Jeanne

Namely, nearly every possible character that could be an echo of Mega Man is tied up in his Final Smash (Proto Man, Bass, X, EXE, Volnutt, Geo). Of the others, Zero is a Sword Fighter, Axl is a mimic and no one remember the ZX protagonists. Last hope could be found in a little game by the name of Marvel Vs Capcom where Roll was Mega Man with a smaller hitbox but more movelag. We know Sakurai likes the game as he attributes the Mega Upper to it after all.

Am I on to something or spouting hot air?

D

Deleted member

https://ibb.co/gohwkJ

Meanwhile during the Ridley reveal
*Insert joke about Ness here*

Just because Tree House showing of XBC2's DLC got me thinking about them again, how are people feeling about Rex and Pyra right now? My money's on DLC at the moment. I also think Spring Man is a lock for DLC.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I believe people are reffering to Diddy Kongs video on the website, his jab no longer goes into tail swipes or whatever. Someone correct me if I'm misinterpreting I don't play Diddy Kong much :x
Oooooh, I see now. Yeah I guess that's something we can't really confirm now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's not all doom and gloom just yet, since some images have been posted, which compare Kirby's Inhale, to his Ice Breath from Smash Wii U; their visual effects are not the same.

Also, while we'll never see this in the E3 build, if the Custom Part item shows up in any future screenshots, then that would likely be a strong indication that customs are coming back.
It's entirely possible they merged counter and reflect so palutena's normal special set would be better tho, she could always have another custom side special

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That means Gardevoir isn't disconfirmed and still has a chance :)
Gardevoir's past Poke Ball appearances had it creating a barrier that reflects opposing projectiles. If we saw anything like that during the gameplay footage, then that would've easily sealed Gardevoir's fate as a Poke Ball Pokemon.

At least Gardevoir is still holding strong. Can't say the same thing for Deoxys though.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Here are Link's alternate costumes in SSBU. Not sure how to think of these, but I guess they do look alright to me at least.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Because we're all spoiled and want more. Even though we got a 65 minimum roster reveal with RIDLEY we'll always want more until the game is out. Especially because of Vergeben's claims on what else to expect
Same. I would be 100% satisfied with the roster if it had Toad, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, and Meowth in addition to the other Nintendo All-Stars I really wanted since pre-Melee. They are the only Nintendo All-Stars left that I really wanted since pre-Melee.

Smash 64 unexpectedly gave me an opportunity to play out dream matches with my favorite Nintendo characters
  1. :4mario:
  2. :4luigi:
  3. :4yoshi:
  4. :4dk:
  5. :4link:
  6. :4samus:
  7. :4kirby:
  8. :4pikachu:
  9. :4jigglypuff:

After Smash 64, I dreamed for these Nintendo characters to be in Smash 2 (Melee)
  1. Bowser :4bowser:
  2. Peach :4peach:
  3. Toad :substitute:
  4. Wario :4wario:
  5. Diddy Kong :4diddy:
  6. Dixie Kong :substitute:
  7. King K. Rool :substitute:
  8. Ganondorf :4ganondorf:
  9. Zelda :4zelda:
  10. King Dedede :4dedede:
  11. Meta Knight :4metaknight:
  12. Bulbasaur :ivysaur:
  13. Charmander :4charizard:
  14. Squirtle :squirtle:
  15. Meowth :substitute:
  16. Mewtwo :4mewtwo:
  17. Kid Icarus :4pit:
  18. Little Mac :4littlemac:

After Melee, I dreamed for these Nintendo characters to be in Smash 3 (Brawl)
  1. Wind Waker Link :4tlink:
  2. Justin Bailey Samus :4zss:
  3. Animal Crossing Human or Tom Nook :4villager:
  4. Olimar :4olimar:
  5. Mii :4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:
  6. Duck Hunt Dog :4duckhunt:

They are the Nintendo characters I grew up with from when I got the NES Power Set for Christmas to when I moved out of my parents' house. My ultimate Nintendo dream is for them all to be playable in at least one Smash game. That's why I am still supporting for Toad, Dixie Kong, King, K. Rool, and especially Meowth.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I have this idea that every 3rd party character will get an echo but there's one major snag.

Namely, nearly every possible character that could be an echo of Mega Man is tied up in his Final Smash (Proto Man, Bass, X, EXE, Volnutt, Geo). Of the others, Zero is a Sword Fighter, Axl is a mimic and no one remember the ZX protagonists. Last hope could be found in a little game by the name of Marvel Vs Capcom where Roll was Mega Man with a smaller hitbox but more movelag. We know Sakurai likes the game as he attributes the Mega Upper to it after all.

I'd say it makes more sense to have each company get an echo character. You can argue that Sonic and Bayonetta should both get one, but then I would just argue that Bayonetta is partially representing Platinum as well.

That way, Ryu having Ken makes up for Capcom and we don't have to worry about getting one for Mega Man.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Just because Tree House showing of XBC2's DLC got me thinking about them again, how are people feeling about Rex and Pyra right now? My money's on DLC at the moment. I also think Spring Man is a lock for DLC.
DLC for sure at this point. Splatoon 2 being practically absent from any Splatoon-related material we've seen so far hardly bodes well for anything after 2016 (except BOTW, evidently), so I'd bank on both characters you mentioned being held off for DLC.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

partly why i dont think third parties will get echos...it opens up a flood gate... MAYBE as DLC but then you still get so many characters and some just dont seem "playable" worthy and yet it'd be odd not to do them if another third party gets an echo etc... I just dont like the idea, i think echos will be down played more than people are expecting. maybe one more two at most and they'll be characters people REALLY want in who actually fit being a clone like daisy does. Not forced echos just cause they could be.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, asked the Link general thread but gonna ask here again for validation: Does the gray Link costume resemble his trainee knight outfit from Hyrule Warriors? Cause it seems like that for me.

Hyrule Warriors Impa might be a possibility after all :awesome:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's entirely possible they merged counter and reflect so palutena's normal special set would be better tho, she could always have another custom side special
I do know that for Palutena's new Counter, she could receive custom variants of it.

One variant could sacrifice damage dealt, in favor of a longer counter window. If the barrier is summoned instead, it would stick around longer than normal, but a weaker damage multiplier would be implemented onto any reflected projectiles.

The other variant would deal greater damage, but the counter window would be shorter. And if the barrier is summoned, its duration would be rather short, but reflected projectiles would deal even greater damage than with the default.

In regards to the damage multipliers...
  • Counter
    • Counterattack: 1.3x
    • Reflected Projectile: 1.4x
  • Easy Counter
    • Counterattack: 1x
    • Reflected Projectile: 1x
  • Power Counter
    • Counterattack: 1.5x
    • Reflected Projectile: 2.1x

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
Ridley being announced this early will make me enjoy the next few months much more. Instead of the anxiety of wondering will they/won't they I can enjoy all of the reveals. That being said, I'm rooting for K. Rool folks because they have been in the same boat all of these years. Honestly, I know that it is third party, but I would love to see another Sonic rep. I know some people were having the Shadow/Metal Sonic debate earlier, but I could see metal sonic being a skin for Sonic (similar to the Meta Ridley skin for Ridley) and Shadow being a full fledged echo fighter. Unfortunately, it seems like my boy Tails gets no love. I would love to see him in as a throwback to old rumors back in Melee that you could unlock Sonic and Tails. It would be a nice nod to the community if you unlocked Tails by an elimination in cruel melee.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Random quick question.

How much damage percent does it do if a Ridley lands a sweet spot dspec that hits the mouth of another Ridley that’s charging nspec and is also completely covered in ink?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ridley being announced this early will make me enjoy the next few months much more. Instead of the anxiety of wondering will they/won't they I can enjoy all of the reveals. That being said, I'm rooting for K. Rool folks because they have been in the same boat all of these years. Honestly, I know that it is third party, but I would love to see another Sonic rep. I know some people were having the Shadow/Metal Sonic debate earlier, but I could see metal sonic being a skin for Sonic (similar to the Meta Ridley skin for Ridley) and Shadow being a full fledged echo fighter. Unfortunately, it seems like my boy Tails gets no love. I would love to see him in as a throwback to old rumors back in Melee that you could unlock Sonic and Tails. It would be a nice nod to the community if you unlocked Tails by an elimination in cruel melee.
Inb4 Amy gets to be playable to continue the lack of Tails love

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here are Link's alternate costumes in SSBU. Not sure how to think of these, but I guess they do look alright to me at least.
Uh oh... Link has Fierce Deity Link alt. I hope Young Link's Final Smash still has him transforming into Fierce Deity Link.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Uh oh... Link has Fierce Deity Link alt. I hope Young Link's Final Smash still has him transforming into Fierce Deity Link.
We’ll need both, and Toon Link should hopefully keep his final smash how it is

Iridium

Smash Hero
Does Dark link's sword change too?
Not really sure about that, as I have not seen it at all (I wish I was at E3). A different look would be cool though.

The reticle on Sonic's Homing Attack is really nice to look at.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Sakurai mentioned that Smash Ultimate could be the last of the series..

Dfqi-faXcAEGl4e.jpeg

But..I don't think Smash Bros Ultimate will be the last...

Sakurai mentioned many times that Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 could be the last of the series
Dfqi957X0AIsXHe.jpeg

But of course, there will always be sequels anyways...

Seems that Sakurai want to leave Smash but Nintendo forced him to stay because of popular demand...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I actually feel like Tails would be a better Echo Fighter to Sonic than Shadow would. Shadow has weaponry like Snake and his Chaos Control shenanigans, so I don't think a traditional clone would do him justice. Something more akin to Luigi-ifying would be better for Shadow. Tails on the other hand always has Sonic's moves when he's playable in a Sonic game, the only thing that would be different is maybe letting him fly for his recovery instead of using a spring. I wouldn't write off Tails' chances yet! :)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We don't even know if Switch can process Dedede and Amy at the same time.
Amy is slim enough to fit in...I think

View attachment 148349
But..I don't think Smash Bros will be the last...
Sakurai mentioned many times that Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 could be the last of the series
View attachment 148350
But of course, there will always be sequals anyways...

Seems that Sakurai want to leave Smash but Nintendo forced him to stay because of popular demand. It is really sad actually...
I don’t think Nintendo really minds if Sakurai doesn’t make another Smash Bros since it’ll continue on anyways (plus they respect the man too much to pull a Konami on him)
Toon Link has been confirmed to still have Triforce Slash.
Now that’s beautiful

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Btw, you probably already know, but Nintendo claims that Smash Ultimate is a completely new game built from scratch. If that's true, then that's ****ing crazy they managed to get every single character ever plus the newcomers plus tons of stages in about 3-4 years.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549

View attachment 148349

View attachment 148350

Seems that Sakurai want to leave Smash but Nintendo forced him to stay because of popular demand. It is rather sad actually...
Not sure about that last statement...

Iridium

Smash Hero

Apparently some people are using the debug menu found in the game. What if this stays?

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 148349

View attachment 148350

Seems that Sakurai want to leave Smash but Nintendo forced him to stay because of popular demand. It is rather sad actually...
There is actually a huge difference in these headlines. The first one says that this game may be the last in the series. The second one just says it for Sakurai. I feel like the next one is going to be a reboot tbh.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I actually feel like Tails would be a better Echo Fighter to Sonic than Shadow would. Shadow has weaponry like Snake and his Chaos Control shenanigans, so I don't think a traditional clone would do him justice. Something more akin to Luigi-ifying would be better for Shadow. Tails on the other hand always has Sonic's moves when he's playable in a Sonic game, the only thing that would be different is maybe letting him fly for his recovery instead of using a spring. I wouldn't write off Tails' chances yet! :)
You are mixing up clones and echo fighters. A different working special means a semi clone.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Here’s something interesting that was confirmed by Nintendo.

Apparently, unlike what most of us thought that Smash 5 would be basically an iterative sequel, Smash 5 is a BRAND new game that was made from Scratch and built from the grown up.

Do you think this might be another reason for there not being as much newcomers or new stages as well? And why this more of an Ultimate Smash game?

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

I'm more confident in their chances than Elma's at this point. There's was way too much Mario Odyssey content shown off (stage, wedding alt, new taunts, Cappy visuals) to think that it wasn't planned out from before development of the game started so games revealed in January 2017 are on the table. The main issue facing the two now are Skye Bennett's comments about not being contacted for VA and the supposedly smaller pool on newcomers this time. My views on Xenoblade's chances at this point lean towards:

-55% no Xenoblade newcomers
-30% Rex and Pyra
-15% Elma

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Seems that Sakurai want to leave Smash but Nintendo forced him to stay because of popular demand...
Noooooo! It cannot be the last in the series. Meowth still needs to be a playable fighter in at least one Smash game. Just one game is all I am asking!

*Bewear comes to console Meowth*

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
NEW KIRBY COPY ABILITY INFO CONFIRMED BY NINTENDO TREEHOUSE STREAM!
Once Kirby used up all the ink from the ink meter by using the Inkling copy ability, he will lose the ability.

EDIT: What is also confirmed is that Kirby can Inhale Ice Climber's ice projectiles to heal him

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
By the way, prior to reveal, one of my dreams about this game was having hand-drawn renders for all fighters. Well, it kinda turned out true.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Apparently, unlike what most of us thought that Smash 5 would be basically an iterative sequel, Smash 5 is a BRAND new game that was made from Scratch and built from the grown up.
So what, they just grabbed the models and instead of copy/pasting them they just rebuilt it from what was already given and tweaked it some? :072:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom