• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It seems the roster they're relying on now is by the chronological order of characters releases rather by what series they're frmo, which is actually not that great IMO but Sakurai's the boss not me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Knuckles AT spotted on Sonic's video
All Knuckles did was taunt. Could possibly be an Echo Fighter.

Considering Sonic's moveset, it would actually be really easy to do. Albeit, Knuckles doesn't kick, but... it's an Echo Fighter. Diasy doesn't have the same abilities as Peach. Lucina isn't all that accurate to Marth despite being one. Etc.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The website has both an "Organize by Fighter Number" As well as an "Organize by Franchise" option. Perhaps that means they have roster organization in mind and will give us the option.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Apparently, Ike, who now has two versions (like Bayonetta), has a really huge hitbox for Eruption. It speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I think this game does not even need more newcomers. If they told us this was the final roster I would not even be bothered.

But the more the merrier.
To be fair, Sakurai has said "there won't be many new characters" for every single Smash game, and the roster has ballooned up to 65 (apparently 66 on the website). It seems silly to me that there would be a game of this magnitude and only have like 3-5 newcomers total. Sure, plenty of Smash fans are nostalgic, but you need to give people a reason to come play a NEW game with NEW stuff. Also, if Sakurai is on record saying that Ridley's popularity got him in, then if K. Rool doesn't it's purely because they hate Rare THAT much.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Considering Sonic's moveset, it would actually be really easy to do. Albeit, Knuckles doesn't kick, but... it's an Echo Fighter. Diasy doesn't have the same abilities as Peach. Lucina isn't all that accurate to Marth despite being one. Etc.
tru, but the smash cast isnt one to accidently reveal a fighter.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
So... are there going to be any new third party stages for the existing third parties this game? Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu, Bayo, Cloud, and Snake all have their returning stages from previous games, and PAC-MAN's stage hasn't been shown yet unless I missed it.

Edit: PAC-MAN's page on the Smash site shows Pac-Land in the background. While not a confirmation, some other characters seem to have unrevealed stages in their backgrounds with updated graphics.

Also, R.O.B.'s page has no stage in its background :(

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
With the announcement that every single character in Smash history is returning, how many newcomers are you guys expecting now?

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I think some people are taking Sakurai’s statement about not many new characters too seriously tbh. Smash 4 had like 23 new characters (It may have been 21 tbh I forgot) including DLC. That’s a lot. I think we get at least a little less than half of that. Due to Sakurai pretty much saying that the outcry was the only reason Ridley is in the game, I do think Dixie will be in the game but as a echo character for Diddy. Also Shadow, due to Knuckles being hinted as an assist trophy while Shadow wasn’t shown at all. While characters like K Rool and Simon Belmont are completely unique.

Plus I think with this game being centered around being the best Smash game, more fan favorites are a given. Especially with what Emily Rodgers said who actually subtly hinted at this game being titled Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
With the announcement that every single character in Smash history is returning, how many newcomers are you guys expecting now?
I think 6-7 total, but I'm not counting Echo Fighters such as Daisy. So Ridley, Inkling, Simon, and then 3-4 more.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

You can assume the same thing for Krystal. They aren't that oblivious to let something like that slip by.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping Samus has an alt costume that isn't her Other M suit but if not I don't care I can play as mother-****ing Ridley. I'm honestly hoping for K. Rool though and best of luck to anyone that wants him.

/v/ is absolutely convinced this is a port wtf

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I hope this isn't the final order that the characters will have, because it looks like a mess. And yes, I know is the order the characters were added to smash, but still is a mess.

View attachment 147859
I think I might be the only one who actually likes it this way, I enjoy the little bit of chaos with all the series mixed together. Do hope there is a sorting option for y'all who prefer a little more order though.
Honestly no more than 5 or 6 with this reveal. I'm banking 100% on vergeben now, so Simon should hopefully be announced so a certain user can eat their shoe. No idea who else though, I agree with the sentiment that if the game didn't have any more new fighters it would still be amazing.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how the heck they made +60 fighters in 2 years?
This is insane.

Who renembers Kirby Star Allies when updated the game with a new character?

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
I would think at least 3 more probably. I still think there's a good chance a new character is revealed during the tournament or, most likely, at the end, since said character probably wouldn't be playable yet. I'm perfectly fine with around 6 newcomers since we're getting every single other character back.

Khao

Smash Lord
If the airdodge landing lag from Smash 4 is still present, wavedashing won't really be that practical since it'll be so laggy. Plus, doing so stales your other types of dodges.
I guess we'll find out for real if wavedashing works during the Invitational, though.
Good point, didn't consider that! I think we can absolutely expect the motion itself to work, though. We gotta wait and see if it's actually useful.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You can assume the same thing for Krystal. They aren't that oblivious to let something like that slip by.
tru, but the smash cast isnt one to accidently reveal a fighter.
Actually, a commercial/trailer for Smash 4 revealed Ganondorf as playable. So yes, they have done so. They have proven to be oblivious before with their reveals.

So who knows what they are. Kind of hard to call them an AT without any gameplay to back that up. Just like it's hard to call Echo Fighter for the same reason. Their roles are unknown till we see something actually tangible.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think we'll get anywhere from 2 or 3 - 5, 6, or 7 newcomers total for the base game, counting Inklings and Ridley (most of the focus is on veterans this time around.) With echo characters, I'd add another 2 or 3, not counting Daisy. For DLC, I'm assuming we'll get a similar amount of characters, being 7 (or 8, or dare I say 9, if Sakurai really loves us).

I think K. Rool could be safe bet as they seem to be listening to fan demand this time around. HOWEVER, fan demand for K. Rool is largely from the west, so we might have already used our western pick to get Ridley into the game (completely fair in my opinion). I think we'll either get K. Rool if they listen to the west, or Dixie as an echo fighter otherwise.

Is Golden Sun popular in Japan? If so Isaac has a chance. Overall popularity could carry him.

I don't think any Indie reps have a chance, as their fan demand is largely in the west, and there's no way that mediocre fan demand from the west can get a character in.

To put things into perspective, it took 18 years of fan outcry for Ridley. Granted, Little Mac was a western pick fast-tracked into the game, but the conditions were right for him.

In terms of new representatives, Elma could be in. I think Rex and Pyra were finalized after the project proposal for this game was finished, so they'll be likely be DLC if they're in (I'd say they have very high chances as DLC if they're not in the base game though).

If the series pattern of retro characters continues, Balloon Fighter, Mach Biker, Urban Fighter, or Athlete (laugh at me now, but the Nintendo Sports series are iconic retro games) could be potential picks. I'd bet on Balloon Fighter in honor of Iwata.

Spring Man is a new series rep that could get into the game. I'd give him moderate chances.

Isabelle would make for a good echo character, and she wasn't murdered in the great deconfirmation. It remains to be seen with more gameplay however. If not Isabelle, then Tom Nook could be a potential echo character as well.

I'm not too confident about a new Fire Emblem character in the base game, but I'd give the FE16 protagonist or Celica good chances as DLC.

If we get another Mario newcomer, I'd say Geno actually has a good chance. Both the west and east want him, Sakurai considered him in the past, and Square Enix is already in on this game, so it'd make sense.

Medusa is popular in Japan if I remember correctly, and if another Kid Icarus representative is added I'd put my money on her. She could potentially be an echo fighter for Palutena as well.

Bandana Dee also has a good chance, having fans in both the east and west alongside prominence in his series. If Kirby gets a newcomer, it's likely him, but we could also see Marx, who seems to still be popular in Japan.

Third Party picks are harder, as most of the prominent characters are either in or deconfirmed (RIP Bomberman).

Simon Belmont is attached to the proven Vergeben leak, and even if we don't see him at E3 I wouldn't be surprised if we see him down the line (Vergeben did leak the Resident Evil 2 remake about a year in advance. Belmont is THE Konami pick (RIP Bomberman again).

Maybe this is my fan bias, but I'd give Sora a good chance as the third party Square Enix pick (his inclusion is ultimately up to Normura). If not Sora, then maybe Lara Croft? I feel like Sakurai wouldn't add another Final Fantasy character as to him, Cloud is the representative for the Final Fantasy series. Maybe one of the characters from Octopath Traveller? Chrono? I don't know.

Monster Hunter could be a really cool Capcom representative. It's the next major Capcom series that doesn't have representation. Zero from Mega Man X/Mega Man Zero is also a popular character, but I think Monster Hunter would be best.

For Sega, we could see another Sonic character or a character from Shin Megami Tensei or Persona (Yu Narukami?). Tails/Knuckles is the "safe" pick, whereas an SMT/Persona character is the unconventional choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jean from Bayonetta is an echo fighter, either in the base game or as DLC.

Nintendo and Ubisoft are all buddy-buddy now, so I wouldn't be surprised with Rayman or Rabbids at all. I'd honestly give them better chances than some first-party characters right now.

If Microsoft puts their money where their mouth is and put a Microsoft character in Smash, it's likely either going to be Master Chief or Banjo-Kazooie. I feel like Banjo-Kazooie's "thing" of two different species working together has kind of been taken by Duck Hunt Dog, but fan demand, previous consideration, and enough uniqueness could get them in. Again, Master Chief's "thing" of using different weapons has kind of been taken by Snake, but he's iconic and unique enough.

Travis Touchdown could get in given Sakurai and Kamiya's friendship and other factors (relevancy, moveset potential, the power of friendship, etc.)

Crash Bandicoot is the last third party I could imagine. Again, iconic. He's got moveset potential, fans seem to want him, and Activision has been warming up to Nintendo recently. Spyro could also be a potential pick, but I feel Crash is more iconic and prominent on Nintendo consoles.
*These characters can be added, subtracted, and swapped in any order. The characters aren't in any particular order in terms of likeliness.
Base game
Completely new:
1. Inkling
2. Ridley
3. Bandanna Dee/Marx
4. Elma
5. Retro Pick
6. Simon Belmont
7. Rayman/Rabbid

Echoes:
1. Daisy (Peach)
2. Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)
3. Isabelle (Villager) (assuming she doesn't get deconfirmed) or:
4. Medusa (Palutena)

DLC
1. Rex and Pyra/Mythra
2. FE16 Protagonist or Celica
3. Geno
4. Spring Man
5. Monster Hunter
6. Yu Narukami or SMT 5 Protagonist or Jack Frost (Atlas Pick)
7. Crash Bandicoot
These picks are only if Sakurai loves us (which he does :))
8. King K. Rool (he could potentially be a base roster pick if he's popular in Japan)
9. Isaac (again, he could potentially be a base roster pick.

To be fair, Sakurai has said "there won't be many new characters" for every single Smash game, and the roster has ballooned up to 65 (apparently 66 on the website). It seems silly to me that there would be a game of this magnitude and only have like 3-5 newcomers total. Sure, plenty of Smash fans are nostalgic, but you need to give people a reason to come play a NEW game with NEW stuff. Also, if Sakurai is on record saying that Ridley's popularity got him in, then if K. Rool doesn't it's purely because they hate Rare THAT much.
My thought is that Ridley is the "western pick" of this game, and if K. Rool isn't popular in Japan (he may or may not, I don't know), then we'll likely see Dixie as an Echo fighter and potentially K. Rool as a western DLC pick.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Not only there was no cuts, but we got characters back that we didn't even expect, like Young Link.
Now... if only we could have a story mode too to this smash...

Iridium

Smash Hero
Shulk has a somewhat more efficient way to switch between Monado Arts. Do you guys think this can make for interesting tech later on?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Not only there was no cuts, but we got characters back that we didn't even expect, like Young Link.
Now... if only we could have a story mode too to this smash...
The ultimate version of no cuts: Even characters that were cut before are back.

We all expected no Wii U version cuts, and got all we wanted and more.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Definitely watch each fighter video, several of them have new remixes that aren't on the main site.

Delfino Plaza
Ridley's Theme
Player Phase 1 (Binding Blade)
Save the World Heroes
Duck Hunt
Wood Man Stage

Bowser, Daisy, Young Link, Diddy Kong, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Lucina, Wii Fit Trainer, Corrin, Inklings, all also have new songs but I can't remember them all specifically.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
I'll say around 6 more in addition to the Inklings, Daisy and Ridley. With all of these veterans there probably isn't much space left for newcomers. I'll be pleasantly surprised if there's more, though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Treehouse finally showed Krystal as an AT.

The videos on the site aren't very clear on if they're an AT or not due to showing them doing nothing of note sometimes, matching what the main character is doing in the video.

Too bad. Just glad Krystal shows up in gameplay at least.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Actually, a commercial/trailer for Smash 4 revealed Ganondorf as playable. So yes, they have done so. They have proven to be oblivious before with their reveals.

So who knows what they are. Kind of hard to call them an AT without any gameplay to back that up. Just like it's hard to call Echo Fighter for the same reason. Their roles are unknown till we see something actually tangible.
This is probably the only thing that'll give the slightest hope that Krystal could be playable but at this point whatever happens, happens

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I'm guessing about 10 newcomers, 8 unique (Including Inkling and Ridley), 2 (including Daisy) Echo

Last edited:

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Even if directional air dodges don't mean wavedash is back, being able to cancel dashing into any Smash attack adds a lot of what Wavedashing was useful for. The mechanics changes definitely seem to be leaning toward a more Melee-style and I could not be happier with that!

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I hope we get at least three more Echo fighters.
Malos would be my favorite pick.
That DLC trailer was insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom