• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Since we're on the topic, how would Resetti fight? Attacking with his pickaxe seems obvious, but I'd love it if his moveset somehow involved him fighting with his massive speech bubbles. Just imagine him yanking one down from midair and whacking someone with it.
Resetti pulling a Deadpool....? Hmm....

It's a party fighter with cartoon violence tho...no one's ripping out anyone's spine or getting their face smashed in or anything I really don't think it's a big deal. Just give her some cute cartoony facial expressions for when she gets hit it'll be fine lol.
You're missing the key point.

Isabelle is shown WITHIN SMASH to be afraid of the idea of even getting hit.
What logic is there for her to be joining the fray as a fighter, then?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I mean true, luigi's mansion and pikmin had similarly ugly styles. The thought of returning to that style makes me wanna die tho lmao
My point is that it's not really representative of a style and you aren't talking about one. It was an attempt at art that was help back by technical limitations.

D

Deleted member

So what you're saying is that it should be Resseti who gets to be next AC representative...
I'm not saying Resetti should be a fighter. But I am saying that he'd make the most sense in comparison to the other options. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
When I think of Melee I think of that... weird alien creature that tries to pass off as a Yoshi
So strange that every little thing about Yoshi is 64 was based off Yoshi's story... except his actual look.

Wonder if he'll get yet another animation overhaul this time too.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
When I think of Melee I think of that... weird alien creature that tries to pass off as a Yoshi
:yoshimelee: Ikr like who was that guy?

Speaking of Yoshi, one thing I wanted them to add was Baby Mario riding on Yoshi but from a game play perspective I could see how it could be weird.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So strange that every little thing about Yoshi is 64 was based off Yoshi's story... except his actual look.

Wonder if he'll get yet another animation overhaul this time too.
Probably not. Smash 4 was the first game to finally get his animations right. So much so that they had to delay his reveal apart from the other OG 8 just to work on him specifically

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
As for Melee's visuals, it may be just nostalgia, but I just find it charming in an outadated sort of way. I mean back then it was like "HOLY MOLY YOU CAN SEE THE DETAILS IN MARIO'S OVERALLS", but even today, there are some design cues I personally like a lot, like Mario's tanned skin, from the N64 renders, or Fox's realistic look. I mean what we have today is unquestionably better, but I still find some charm in a couple of Melee's designs.

Not all of them, though. Why did they give Bowser T. Rex legs???

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I love the KI series, and I'd love to see Viridi playable. But honestly, Medusa would be much cooler to see in, and I'd expect her in before anyone else from KI honestly.
If Dark Pit wasn’t already in the game, would you have expected her to appear before him?

...and I’m triggered by that picture of Sora...

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
:yoshimelee: Ikr like who was that guy?

Speaking of Yoshi, one thing I wanted them to add was Baby Mario riding on Yoshi but from a game play perspective I could see how it could be weird.
If they kept the gameplay purpose of Baby Mario and have Yoshi only recieve knockback when he loses BM...

I'd be laughing all the way when Yoshi becomes Smash Switch's Meta Knight because of that

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
If customs are gone and they have to settle on a single moveset for Palutena, I could totally see them putting Medusa as a semi clone just to recycle some of her other special moves.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think people are really over exaggerating the Isabelle thing :p

1) It’s a cartoon-y party fighter, not Mortal Kombat. It’s really not a particularly violent game.
2) We can already punch women, children, adorable little creatures and a dog. Isabelle isn’t a stretch at all.

You want something in Smash that makes you feel bad? Kill some of Olimar’s Pikmin. Now THAT’S a heartbreaking experience :laugh:
This guy gets it. Especially noting the point about killing Olimar's Pikmin. :cry:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
If customs are gone and they have to settle on a single moveset for Palutena, I could totally see them putting Medusa as a semi clone just to recycle some of her other special moves.
If not for the backlash over Dark Pit, I'd honestly be expecting that they solve the customs thing by adding Pseudo-Palutena.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
With Pacman you're right that he's designed to emulate Pacman games, and that every character is designed with that sort of thought process to some extent or another. I cut the part of your post where you say every character needs to carry the character's essence when I quoted you because I have no disagreement there. I also mentioned that things ultimately have to work together as a cohesive playstyle. But what I was more getting at was you saying that characters are based on simple concepts like stat changer, puppeteer, ect.. The only concise way I could describe Pacman is that he is Pacman, which is neither an archetype nor is it simple, as there are multifaceted aspects to what makes Pacman Pacman, and in order to make that happen the devs had to get really creative with abstracting things from his games and then unabstracting them to fit the context. Archetype means an overarching type that a lot of examples fit into. Pacman isn't tailored to fit an archetype, he's tailored specifically to be Packman so hard that he doesn't fit into an archetype.

Furthermore, and towards my other point, that point can be reached not only by starting with a character concept and creating a moveset to fit that, but also by selecting moves peacemeal that represent different aspects of the character and then skillfully assembling them together into something that works. Example off the top of my head - Marth. All his moves have sweet spots to emulate crits in Fire Emblem. Dancing blade is a multi-step attack because FE has multi-attacks if you're fast enough. Counter is there because FE has counterattacks. Sheildbreaker is based off of Marth's signature weapon the rapier piercing armor. He's big on spacing because positioning is important in FE. Ect.. Sakurai took a bunch of unrelated concepts that happen to be important to Marth or Fire Emblem, converted those to even less obviously related individual character traits and moves for Smash, and then found a way to make it all work as one character. From a design perspective that's wildly different from something like taking Rosalina, saying "she'd make sense as a puppet character, let's try to make her moveset a puppeteer toolkit" and working from there. When fans make "a bunch of unrelated references" type movesets the Marth thing is what they're going for, it's just really hard to do well. In essence I'm objecting to the idea that you need to start with an overarching theme for the character and build things from there, when you can also represent different aspects with different moves or traits and then put them together in a way that works.

Corrin has several spacing tools and I even said if I had to I'd call them a zoning character, but they plays loose with the concept. I'll more or less cede the point there though.

With G&W the fact that his moveset is a bunch of random incongruous stuff is itself conceptually representative of the character. The G&W games are just a bunch of handheld games unrelated beyond hardware and publisher. Unlike everyone else in Smash G&W's games have no overarching gameplay concept, no consistent or even primary setting, characters, tone, style, nothing. And that's why none of G&W's moves have anything to do with each other either. But they are still put together in a way that the complete character works as a fighting game character. I'm not sure I'd say being fragile or high risk high reward is a "central idea" of G&W. It's certainly part of his character concept, but there's large chunks of who he is as a character that are unrelated to that. It's less central and more one of many pieces of the pie.
I want to frame this lol. Beautiful post

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Sooooo... Koh Kojima/Tetsuya Takahashi are interested in making a sequel to Xenoblade X.

Do you think this changes anything for Elma and Rex/Pyra?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sooooo... Koh Kojima/Tetsuya Takahashi are interested in making a sequel to Xenoblade X.

Nothing at all.
Developper being interested on working on Y or X project happens all the times.
And sometimes some incredible **** happens in internal brainwork at the pre-production phase.

But it wouldn't change at all the chance of any characters getting in smash when the roster is already finished.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

This late? Probably not. However, it helps Elma for the next Smash if she is the protagonist again. Although Shulk wasn't the protagonist of Xenoblade 2, so it might be the same case for Elma.

This is all assuming Rex&Pyra make it on the roster. Which I believe will be the case.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Considering the end scene, that was pretty obvious.

Anyway, I doubt it changes anything. I still think Fiora is likelier.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I think the fighting trophy version of Isabelle in the non-canon fighting game Smash Bros would work just fine, even if she is clumsy and scared.

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
I almost guarantee Super Smash Bros. Switch is going to be the last thing they cover. It'd just make more sense for nintendo to get us excited over other series first, instead of just being drowned out from all the smash hype. I'm also betting on 2 newcomers being revealed during the trailer, and one newcomer surprise revealed after the presentation like they've been doing the past e3s while sm4sh was still in development. Finally, I predict One of those characters being a third party character, and one other being a highly requested character, along the lines of Ridley or Waluigi.

and finally a surprise of a 4th character reveal, A dark, shadowy figure, akin to the reveal trailer, looms on the screen. It is then when a blue, glowing ey

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I almost guarantee Super Smash Bros. Switch is going to be the last thing they cover. It'd just make more sense for nintendo to get us excited over other series first, instead of just being drowned out from all the smash hype. I'm also betting on 2 newcomers being revealed during the trailer, and one newcomer surprise revealed after the presentation like they've been doing the past e3s while sm4sh was still in development. Finally, I predict One of those characters being a third party character, and one other being a highly requested character, along the lines of Ridley or Waluigi.

and finally a surprise of a 4th character reveal, A dark, shadowy figure, akin to the reveal trailer, looms on the screen. It is then when a blue, glowing ey
Considering we know close to nothing about Smash, and it's coming out this year, I think we could possibly see more characters revealed than ever before. I expecting 4 or 5. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but we'll see.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Hyping for this game just feels so weird. With Brawl and 4 you had the Dojo every day to look forward to and leaks like the Chorus Boys, now we just have to wait a few weeks and see if Simon and Ridley are in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hyping for this game just feels so weird. With Brawl and 4 you had the Dojo every day to look forward to and leaks like the Chorus Boys, now we just have to wait a few weeks and see if Simon and Ridley are in.
Once the game got fully revealed, sure. But the daily updates never kicked off right at the top. We know Inkling, but we're still more or less in the pre-info phase. Brawl's was one year (and then basically another), Smash 4's was two.

This one only being three months is a total delight. We'll get there.

That depends. Are Koh Kojima or Tetsuya Takahashi directing this Smash?

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Okay, I think I may be stepping WAY over my comfort zone here and I might get some people upset that I even ask this. But give me the benefit of the doubt here please...

Where did Geno support start? I'm serious here

Ridley and K. Rool I get. There are well established villains of their respective franchises. People have connections to these characters due to their history. But why Geno? If I was an outsider knowing nothing about Nintendo and seeing Smash speculation for the first time, I would've thought he was a main character of a big franchise. Please, help me understand here...

SonicMario

Smash Master

I'm guessing it'll be like somewhere early on we at least get a good 10-20 minutes about the new Smash. Showing how the Inklings play, showing a good amount of veterans and whatever changes there may be to them if there is some (Like with Breath of the Wild link), new modes and such, maybe another new character or two. Telling us that the treehouse will trickle down more specific gameplay details as E3 rolls along. Then they'll shift to other games for a good while afterward (Though I wouldn't put it past them to sneak a sudden shift from at least one game into a newcomer trailer for Smash) but as always you gotta have that "We have one more thing for you" at the tail end of the presentation that's going to be either a really surprising, really hype, or both at the same time type of reveal

Maybe another character gets revealed at a random moment later in the day like Wii Fit Trainer and Pac-Man were too. But either way should no doubt keep us all on our toes throughout the day.

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Resetti pulling a Deadpool....? Hmm....

You're missing the key point.

Isabelle is shown WITHIN SMASH to be afraid of the idea of even getting hit.
What logic is there for her to be joining the fray as a fighter, then?
She's a fictional character be, she has no say on what's done too her.

Plus you wouldn't have to worry about her being beat up if you're good at the game. :troll:

Roberk

Smash Champion

Lucky for us, they've had a pseudo-schedule since April https://e3.nintendo.com/

Video presentation*
June 12, 9:00 am PT | 12:00 pm ET
Get a look at Nintendo Switch games for 2018, including Super Smash Bros.™
Afterwards, stay right here for livestreaming events throughout E3.

Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018
Watch players smash their way to the top.
Join the party as players from around the world battle in this invitational tournament for bragging rights, for fun, and for glory on Nintendo Switch!

Starts right after the Splatoon 2 World Championship finals on June 12.

Nintendo's E3 lasts June 12-14. This video presentation is on June 12th, the first day. They specifically say that Smash will be included. The invitational which will give us hours of casual and competitive gameplay will be later that day.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
But I'd be the one beating her up as a wrestling tiger. :V
El Tigre is a long ways from being put in Smash my dude. He'll likely has a place somewhere behind Spongebob and Goku.

Mimikyu wouldn't hurt Isabelle. :)

Anime Mimikyu probably would though. :c

EDIT: I've been thinking about the whole "feeling bad about hurting Isabelle" thing and I realized it does kinda bother me when someone actually points it out but I also get that way about Pokemon fighting each other, getting hurt, and all that. Then I realize its just fiction and all the characters go home just fine in the end. Isabelle doesn't feel pain or anything. There is no reason to actually feel bad about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

El Tigre is a long ways from being put in Smash my dude. He'll likely has a place somewhere behind Spongebob and Goku.

Mimikyu wouldn't hurt Isabelle. :)

Anime Mimikyu probably would though. :c
"El Tigre" has more of a shot than you think.

Because "El Tigre" is legitimately the name of my Incineroar. :troll:

(This is not my El Tigre. I just needed an excuse to post this gif.)

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
What do guys think is crucial for this game's competitive success? Smash 4 probably won't last for more than 4 years and still be as competitive as it is now and aside from melee all the other smash games are relatively small and aren't big esports. I just want this game to last a long time but it's hard to think of a way that'd be possible outside of being quite similar to melee or getting big dev support both of which I don't think are likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom