• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Diddy, King Dedede, Ridley, Wolf, Bomberman, Paper Mario, and Pete (Harvest Moon) for Brawl. (And Wario if he was not already confirmed)

King K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Paper Mario, Shulk, Black Shadow for Smash 4.

King K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Black Shadow, Phoenix Wright for Switch.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I wanted...

For Brawl:

-Waddle Dee
-Shy Guy
-Boo or King Boo
-Petey Piranha
-King Dedede
-Meta Knight
-Raichu
-Bomberman
I don't remember more, too many.

For Smash 4:

-Bandana Dee
-Shy Guy (only at the start, then I realized it was impossible lol)
-Magolor
-Ridley
-Bomberman
-K. Rool

For Smash Switch:

-Bandana Dee
-Magolor
-Bomberman
-Ridley
-K. Rool
-Bewear
-Jeanne

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Could Sheriff ever be playable?

I really love the assist trophy it's fairly over powered.

It's Nintendo's first video game character if i'm not mistaken.

I like him, but realistically is their move set practicality?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Between Diddy in 2007 and Cloud in 2015, it took eight years for me to get another character I truly cared about, yet I'm still back for at least one more round, even though the characters I really yearn for... well I can't imagine they end up making the cut (Isaac, Banjo, Krystal). That said, when Sonic was revealed I just about fell out my chair and legitimately ran around in a circle like a crazy on-fire person. Cloud I mostly stared dumb and grinning at the screen as if someone had hacked the Direct with a really elaborate fake. :laugh:

Though to be fair, I'm pretty amenable to most additions, they all just reside someone in the middle of "not super hype, not super disappointing" for me. We did get a lot of characters I wasn't big on this/last time around (though I know better than to elaborate), but between Sonic, Shulk, Inkling and Palutena (though that one... that one was a monkey paw), we've enough that I supported in the past that it basically all shakes out.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I moderately supported Bomberman during Brawl but that sorta fell off for 4. Now with the Switch game he’s on my radar again. I grew up on the N64 games so the nostalgia would be nice.

I didn’t actively want Rosalina for 4 as I considered her a pipe dream until 3D World. Turns out Sakurai probably added her without even knowing about that game. Very happy how it worked out.

Oh, and Cloud. FF7 is one of my favorite games and he was the only logical choice for a Final Fantasy character, but he also seemed pie in the sky. My hype for him arguably eclipsed even Mega Man.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I can't even remember who I wanted back in the Brawl days. I don't think I was invested enough in the roster to hope for anyone at that point. For Smash 4, I wanted Rosalina, Greninja, Phoenix Wright, Ashley, and Bayonetta.

Mostly Phoenix and Bayonetta, though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When I was little my brothers convinced me that Toad in Melee rumour was real. But even back then I had enough common sense to know I'd never be able to shoot all the names in the credits lol.

Luckily I never boarded the "Sonic in Melee" train, I can't imagine trying to get 20 KOs in Cruel Melee. I went to a friend's house and watched her brother try for like an hour though. :laugh:

Good old days when the playground provided you with more information than the internet. :3

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don’t have much time to write out all who I wanted in previous smash games but I do remember who I wanted In Smash 64. I wanted:
  • Bowser
  • Diddy Kong
  • James Bond
  • Banjo-Kazzoie
  • Mewtwo
  • James, Jessie and Meowth
That was of course when I was playing the game. By the time Melee rolled around, my opinions changed. If I have a chance, I’ll write more out but a dirty diaper calls to be changed post haste.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Didn't have anyone I wanted too much for Brawl....mostly because I had no idea that game was even gonna be made, lol.

I love Wind Waker so much that I still consider it my favorite video game of all time to this day.

At some point while I was playing Brawl, I thought to myself something along the lines of "Hey, imagine if the cartoon Link from Wind Waker got into one of these games. Probably never gonna happen, but it'd be so cool, I really love that game".

So just try and imagine my reaction when I finished a round of Classic one day to suddenly be greeted by the "Challenger Approaching!" screen accompanied by an obvious silhouette of Toon Link.

D

Deleted member

Between Diddy in 2007 and Cloud in 2015, it took eight years for me to get another character I truly cared about, yet I'm still back for at least one more round, even though the characters I really yearn for... well I can't imagine they end up making the cut (Isaac, Banjo, Krystal).
Pretty much in a similar boat.

Got many characters I actually cared about in Brawl, but unlike with you in Cloud, I didn't really get anyone in Smash 4. Anyone new at least.
Mewtwo was really the only reveal that I truly felt "hype" for a specific character for Smash 4.

Rather pessimistic of the future for Smash Switch in regards to characters I actually "want".

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I have more veterans than newcomers that I want, that's pretty sad.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
Brawl was the first time I've followed the prerelease a new smash game, and while I've followed the dojo, I didn't get into speculation or even actively wanted a character.; I did that with Smash 4. The two character that I wanted were Palutena and Ghirahim, and while Ghirahim was a bust, I got Palutena who I wanted the most; I was estatic at her inclusion in skype with several other guys fron the Palutena support thread.

Now for smash switch, my top 3 most wanted characters are: Isabelle, Decidueye and a Rhythm Heaven character.

StormC

Smash Hero
I seriously promise to try to not complain if K. Rool gets in and nobody else on my list does. That’s how badly I want him compared to everyone else.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I seriously promise to try to not complain if K. Rool gets in and nobody else on my list does. That’s how badly I want him compared to everyone else.
Do you expect the DK series to get both Dixie and K. Rool as newcomers, do you think we're getting only K. Rool, or do you want K. Rool but not expect him?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Actually, as a kid, I do remember seeing and reading about the trophies of King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, and the DK characters, and thinking they would all make some really cool new characters in another Smash game, if one was ever made. With three of them, it worked out nicely. :p

I also really liked the Pikmin games so I would've been happy to see Olimar, too (and that worked out for me as well, lol)

Now then, who I wanted for Smash 4........

In no particular order:

-King K. Rool
-Dixie Kong
-Ridley
-Bandana Dee
-Villager
-Bowser Jr.
-On/off want for Rosalina and/or Toad
-Waluigi
-Mewtwo
-Greninja (I thought this one would've been a pipe-dream. I'm glad I was wrong, haha.)
-Tetra
-Toon Zelda
-Ghirahim (kinda lost my want for this character after some time)
-Krystal
-Pac-man (this was a funny one; at first I wanted him, but then I didn't, then I really wanted him again).

I was also supportive of Little Mac, Palutena and Shulk, but wanted them less than the others due to not having as many connections with them as I did with most of the aforementioned characters.

Overall I was quite happy with we what we got.

The characters I want the most for the next Smash are visible in my current signature. It's not complete however, so you might see a few other newcomers join the signature later. :p

StormC

Smash Hero
Do you expect the DK series to get both Dixie and K. Rool as newcomers, do you think we're getting only K. Rool, or do you want K. Rool but not expect him?
I think DK stands the best chance to get two characters but not very high overall. I’d put K. Rool as a coin flip and Dixie slightly lower than that.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I think Pokemon has a higher chance of having more than one character added.

Has the possibility of Gen 7, Gen 8 and/or Pichu.

Also, Fire Emblem.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Funnily enough I knew a kid who said he all the characters in Melee, but didn't know Luigi was in the game. For Melee, I mostly use Mario, Fox, Samus and Luigi.

As for the other topic, Brawl added Meta Knight, Wario and Diddy Kong. Every other character I liked, ZSS, Ike Charizard ect. I didn't exactly root for, but I tried them out and liked them as time went on.

For Smash 4, I got Mega Man and Little Mac as two launch characters I really like. Shulk and Rosa too, to a lesser extent. I was disappointed in Palutena, but the positive outweighed the negative. Greninja and Robin were cooler than I thought they'd be. And we got Ryu and Cloud as DLC. I'm not gonna pretend that I thought Cloud was likely, I didn't think it was happening in 100 years, yet here we are.

For this game, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl(assuming they pull a Robin), Isaac, Dixie and maaaaaybe Ridley and/or Sylux would be pretty cool. But I'm good if I get my dudes from Smash 4 back.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Pokemon has a higher chance of having more than one character added.

Has the possibility of Gen 7, Gen 8 and/or Pichu.

Also, Fire Emblem.
I’m mainly talking about the base game. Gen 8 DLC is very possible though.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
This is how I feel about Ridley. Him and Inklings could be the only newcomers and I'd be down.
I honestly never get too bummed about characters being added that I didn't want (except Dark Pit). I usually am just glad they are new unique fighters and generally clones are of popular or logical character choices.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If I got Ridley and Dixie but no K. Rool, that would be a decent compromise. But that seems like the least likely scenario.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
So how has your character support changed from game to game?
During Brawl:
#1 was Villager;
Really wanted Paper Mario, Diddy, Dixie, Banjo-Kazooie, Meta Knight, Dedede, a not-cloned Toon Link, Wario, Waluigi, and Daisy;
Wanted Toad, Bowser Jr., a Baby Mario & Luigi tag-team, and Jirachi.

During Smash 4;
#1 was Lip;
Really wanted Banjo-Kazooie;
Wanted Demille, Daisy, Dixie, King K. Rool, Toon Zelda, Simon Belmont, and Sylveon;
Low-key wanted Pulseman, Shantae, Cooking Mama, the Clavat from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and Chesnaught (after the starter evos leaked for X and Y);
"Wanted" Little Mac and Takamaru, basically just for the sake of completing the Captain Rainbow-reunion

Currently;
#1 is Lip;
Right underneath her is Banjo-Kazooie;
Really want K. Rool, Dixie, and Simon Belmont;
Want Kamek, Dry Bowser, Daisy, Waluigi, Tails, Knuckles, and Master Chief; also Frisk;

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
With Melee and Brawl, I didn't really go in hoping for characters. I just kinda accepted what I was given and was happy with it. Rather, the games introduced me to new series and their characters, some that I'd like to see make it in.

For Melee, I just got that game, unknowing of the unlockable characters. I remember being excited whenever I saw the "Challenger Approaching" screen. I think Falco and Mewtwo were the two I was most excited to encounter. I also thought it'd be cool to play as the "Grey Fox and Purple Dragon" from Melee's intro.

With Brawl, I followed the Dojo daily. I went in with excitement and little expectations. I didn't really "want" any characters until I had unlocked the full roster. I remember Krystal and Midna + Wolf Link being two I wanted to see one day.

With Smash 4, I actually had a couple of characters I really hoped for. Krystal, Sceptile, and Midna were my most wanted, with some characters like Ridley being ones I thought would be neat, but could live without.

With Smash Switch, I still have characters I'd like to see, but I'm not holding my breath. Smash 4 really soured my view of Smash hype/speculation, and so I'm going in with low expectations. Primarily supporting Wolf and Krystal at this point. Partly because I'm a huge fan of Star Fox that just wants the series to stay alive.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
In Smash 4, I just wanted Ridley, primarily, though I eventually also joined the K.Rool fans as the scene drew on and I was always fond of Wolf, so seeing him back was another desire.

Now I'm gunning for these guys;
  • Ridley
  • King K.Rool
  • Wolf
  • Waluigi
  • Knuckles (if we get a second Sonic fighter)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wanted PacMan and Megaman for Sm4sh, announced my desires on here and was mortified that there was a hate base for both classic characters. I was excited for their reveal and movesets.

Wii Fit Trainer was the character I didn't know that I wanted. The others were pretty creative and made up for their lack of popularity with gameplay.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
When I was little my brothers convinced me that Toad in Melee rumour was real. But even back then I had enough common sense to know I'd never be able to shoot all the names in the credits lol.

Luckily I never boarded the "Sonic in Melee" train, I can't imagine trying to get 20 KOs in Cruel Melee. I went to a friend's house and watched her brother try for like an hour though. :laugh:

Good old days when the playground provided you with more information than the internet. :3
I still remember the time I thought you could unlock that cool looking coliseum stage from the intro by getting everything, was a sad puppy to find out that wasn't the case. To this day I'm still wishing they'd make that into a proper stage.

Got many characters I actually cared about in Brawl, but unlike with you in Cloud, I didn't really get anyone in Smash 4. Anyone new at least.
Mewtwo was really the only reveal that I truly felt "hype" for a specific character for Smash 4.

Rather pessimistic of the future for Smash Switch in regards to characters I actually "want".
I kinda feel the same way you do. Aside from Inklings there are only a few other characters that would get me hyped the same way Rosalina did.

I guess that's why I'm finding discussions around gamplay and movesets for characters more interesting than who is/isn't getting in.

kylexv

Smash Master
Brawl:

I honestly don’t remember. I was still pretty young.

Smash 4:

Mega Man
PAC-Man
Bowser Jr.
Little Mac
K. Rool
Ridley
Shovel Knight
Mewtwo
Takamaru
Paper Mario

Switch:

K. Rool
Waluigi
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Marx
Literally any Gen 7 Pokémon (Decidueye, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, or Tapu Koko)
Ribbon Girl
Paper Mario
Takamaru
Ice Climbers
Squirtle and/or Ivysaur
Wolf
Crash
Banjo

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Maxwell and maybe a few others were pretty much the only characters I supported before Sm4sh was released. Now, I support many, many, many more characters.

Sma5h is the speculation period I'm most involved in. SSB64 was before I was born, Melee was when I was a baby, and I wasn't aware of Brawl until well after it released.

I spent time speculating with Sm4sh, but I joined in the middle of the speculation period. I've been involved in Sma5h speculation ever since the game was revealed (and some before it was revealed).

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
My crazy, ridiculous wish list for this game is:
  • Paper Mario
  • Captain Toad
  • Yarn Yoshi
  • K.Rool
  • Dixie Kong
  • Cranky Kong
  • Funky Kong
  • DK Jr.
  • BotW Champion(s)
  • Marx
  • Mimikyu
  • Excitebiker
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Ice Climbers
  • Medusa
  • Isabelle
  • Tom Nook
  • A unique Pikmin rep
  • Isaac
  • Dillon
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Crash
  • Rayman
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We doin' wish lists now?

Well, because I'm incredibly lazy and can't be bothered to spend a full minute and a half to type out my list, I'll just point out that everyone I really want in Smash Switch is already in my signature.

...You know what, nevermind. I'm listing them anyway.
  • Paper Mario
  • Dixie
  • K. Rool
  • Mipha
  • Ridley
  • Bandana Dee
  • Wolf
  • Lycanroc
  • Ice Climbers
  • Spring Man
  • Labo Man
Feels like at least two or three of them could get in. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Between Diddy in 2007 and Cloud in 2015, it took eight years for me to get another character I truly cared about, yet I'm still back for at least one more round, even though the characters I really yearn for... well I can't imagine they end up making the cut (Isaac, Banjo, Krystal). That said, when Sonic was revealed I just about fell out my chair and legitimately ran around in a circle like a crazy on-fire person. Cloud I mostly stared dumb and grinning at the screen as if someone had hacked the Direct with a really elaborate fake. :laugh:

Though to be fair, I'm pretty amenable to most additions, they all just reside someone in the middle of "not super hype, not super disappointing" for me. We did get a lot of characters I wasn't big on this/last time around (though I know better than to elaborate), but between Sonic, Shulk, Inkling and Palutena (though that one... that one was a monkey paw), we've enough that I supported in the past that it basically all shakes out.
When I was younger, I thought this was real.

Not kidding, I was so happy for Shy Guy lol.

Aww this is giving me memories. I remember I heard and got into Smash Bros. During the early Brawl days.
I was really excited for Subspace and I loved it, and I thought the fact of fighting bosses were really cool.

And now look where I am, a very good Smash Bros. player who spends the majority of his life in a website dedicated to it. I do not go into tournaments or anything, but I play people online or others who I find across the way.

Also I never get salty at all. I am a good sport.

Honestly, I am excited for Smash Bros. Switch even if my favorite newcomer becomes an Assist Trophy. I love any Smash Bros game in general, and I hope they can make the most out of it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
My top 3 are the only ones that I'm really dying for and would be pretty sad if none got in
  • Ridley
  • Twintelle (as DLC at least)
  • Mimikyu
Besides that I have a couple I want, Tetra, Claus (Masked Man), Marx, King K. Rool (just for his fans honestly), a ghost Pokemon (Decideueye is cool) any Arms rep, and Chibi Robo. Also Urbosa as a Zelda rep, but any Zelda rep would be pretty cool.

The only third party that would excite me is Travis Touchdown but we'll see about that lol.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Oh! Crazy ridiculous wishlists? Sure thing.
  • Barbara the Bat
  • Ridley
  • King K. Rool
  • Andy (from Advance Wars)
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Starfy
  • Dillon
  • Lip
  • Tibby
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Donbe & Hikari
  • Spring Man
None of those characters I believe have a good chance of making it in. I'd just love to see them.

You want my predictions?
  • Qbby
  • Elma
  • Mimikyu
  • Captain Toad
  • Dixie Kong

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
When Cranky becomes playable, I can't wait to hear his commentary on all the playable characters similar to Palutena's Guidance.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I dreamed K.Rool was showed at e3, but his design was quite weird. They ended his trailer as he seems to face a new enemy (in Smash) from the Dk Franchise, but they kept that as secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom