• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I remember being sad that brawl was delayed but then being ecstatic that the new release day was my 12th birthday
I followed the dojo every day

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I liked the suspense with the Dojo. A character could drop any day. The trailers are great but they’re too predictable.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Sakurai added Rayman to Smash 4 as a trophy. He didn't add the Rabbids as a trophy.

And I sincerely doubt one crossover game will suddenly make Sakurai not consider the possibility of Rayman in Smash before adding Rabbids. :p
Well that was before the crossover, and Rayman has never been that popular in Japan iirc.

You are really underestimating the significance of a crossover with Mario. Even sonic only got an Olympic sports spin off, not a full on game

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As long as the Rabbids don't use that scream with every or even most of their attacks, I'd be alright with a Rabbid in Smash. I've played some of the Rabbids games (including the first one, when they were still only part of Rayman's own franchise) and I actually did enjoy them.

I'd probably be happier with Rayman himself, though.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
As long as the Rabbids don't use that scream with every or even most of their attacks, I'd be alright with a Rabbid in Smash. I've played some of the Rabbids games (including the first one, when they were still only part of Rayman's own franchise) and I actually did enjoy them.

I heard their scream when I read this.

*shudders*

StormC

Smash Hero
Well that was before the crossover, and Rayman has never been that popular in Japan iirc.

You are really underestimating the significance of a crossover with Mario. Even sonic only got an Olympic sports spin off, not a full on game
We sure as hell didn’t get Black Mage after a basketball crossover.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Man, I was 9 when Brawl came out. That's so weird to think about.

I liked the suspense with the Dojo. A character could drop any day. The trailers are great but they’re too predictable.
I'd like to think the Smash 4 pre-release days were a happy medium. We got trailers for newcomers that were predictable, yes, but Sakurai also announced veterans through the Pic of the Day whenever he felt like it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I remember Sonic was revealed the day after my 22nd birthday for Brawl.

That was a wild thing to wake up to after a night of drinking.

Have you ever gave yourself a hang over headache from being too loud your damn self?

That was me.
I do not drink; however, I remember staying up all night before the Robin reveal and that gave me a headache because I was finally vindicated.

I always thought the problem was more about him not fitting in with the rest of the cast, I mean it is harder to see Ridley wearing bunny ears fighting on yoshi’s island but I never understood why they wouldn’t just make him the biggest character and balance him around that.
You are correct, Ridley just would not fit with Ganondorf, Olimar, and Solid Snake fighting on Yoshi's Story with bunny ears, too ****ing weird, bro.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Sakurai added Rayman to Smash 4 as a trophy. He didn't add the Rabbids as a trophy.

And I sincerely doubt one crossover game will suddenly make Sakurai not consider the possibility of Rayman in Smash before adding Rabbids. :p
I remember that trophy reveal. The relief I experienced when I read it was a trophy only was unbelievable.

And Rabbids aren't only one crossover game but an entire third party franchise which was one Nintendo systems (now, they aren't all quality softwares but still).

Then again it wasn't a prediction. More like a wishful thinking.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think he never said he wouldn't work but rather that he was not a character he saw fit to fight. It is entirely different than the problem with Ridley which if I understand things well is too massive to be functional.
I always thought the problem was more about him not fitting in with the rest of the cast, I mean it is harder to see Ridley wearing bunny ears fighting on yoshi’s island but I never understood why they wouldn’t just make him the biggest character and balance him around that.
Sakurai didn't want to add Villager because he didn't think the cheery and innocent tone of Animal Crossing was suited for a fighting game like Smash.

And then we start seeing things like this.

...Sakurai wasn't wrong the first time.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
To be honest, I'd still be pretty happy with whatever the roster was if they keep Mega Man and Ryu.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You’re right, that’s why villager didn’t make it into smash 4, because he said they wouldn’t work as a character during brawl. :cool:
The reasons he gave or Villager not being playable in Brawl are ENTIRELY different.

Sakurai's statement on Villager was merely that he couldn't see such a friendly character fighting.

Ridley's issues were numerous, more specific, and arguably unavoidable:
  • Difficult to balance
  • Wings would have to be clipped
  • Unable to fly around freely
  • Not as much a threatening force as he would be as a boss
  • Too big
I know people say that last one ironically as if it's something to ridicule, but it really is true. Unlike Bowser and Charizard, Ridley's size has always been roughly consistent in Metroid. He's always incredibly larger than Samus with the exception of the very first game.

It's not the same as Bowser who's size compared to Mario is consistent with some games and Olimar who's size is consistent with how his size is portrayed from the perspective of the player.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I do not drink; however, I remember staying up all night before the Robin reveal and that gave me a headache because I was finally vindicated.

You are correct, Ridley just would not fit with Ganondorf, Olimar, and Solid Snake fighting on Yoshi's Story with bunny ears, too ****ing weird, bro.

I’m not saying I agree with that I just thought that’s what more people argued about than simply size.
Even though a pterodactyl like murderous monster is still less silly than those you said.

All I can imagine after this is 8 player smash with 8 rabbids all going BWAAAAA after every single action.

Every attack, jump or step. I think im going to go deaf just thinking about it.
:061:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Have you ever gave yourself a hang over headache from being too loud your damn self?

That was me.
I thought you were younger than me lol.

D

Deleted member

Rayman (and Globox and Barbara) had a trophy because Nintendo had exclusive publisher rights of Legends in Japan.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Morbi

Scavenger
I’m not saying I agree with that I just thought that’s what more people argued about than simply size.
Even though a pterodactyl like murderous monster is still less silly than those you said.
At least I know that he is a purple space dragon. What is Olimar, even? I was not even going for the weirdest. It is just that Ganondorf is a super serious King of Evil (that danger vibe that Ridley gives) and Snake is not even Nintendo (and is more or less the poster child for "impossible addition." I mostly went for Olimar for the size comparison. But now that you have brought it up, he is seriously weird and for some reason I never noticed.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
A big no thank you to playable Rabbids. Trophies, assist trophies and story mode enemies? Yeah sure, great! But I've been wanting Rayman for far too long to be satisfied with the spinoff superstars.

On the topic of the Dojo, I'd really love if we got information like that or just have several newcomers hidden. Theres probs only gonna be 1-3 Directs after E3 and before Smash, and add 1 dedicated Smash direct for good measure. I doubt they will cram 2-3 newcomer trailers into each Ninty Direct. Show the mega ton 3rd parties at Directs, save the surprise characters for unexpected Dojo drops or hidden in game. Then we're always on our toes and will never know when the next challenger is gonna approach. Yeah, a leaks gonna happen anyways like 3 weeks before the initial release but it'll still be fun!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Sylux as an addition feels way too early to me, and it would feel like adding a character for the sake of it. Yes he's been stated to be a character that they have plans for, yes it's entirely possible that he'll have a big role in Prime 4, but all of that doesn't change the fact that Sylux in this current time is a minor character at best. The only thing he has under his belt at this point is being a playable characters in Hunters, where he was just another face as none of them really had a bigger role then the other in the game, and two cameos that are saying 'he's going to be special, don't worry guys!' without doing anything with it for over a decade. The only thing he has of major note is pinned hopes and promises for Prime 4 to expand on him, which brings two problems in itself as it means he's reliant on Prime 4 doing anything of note with him (which while implied, is not guaranteed) and the game being a factor this year, which doesn't look to be the case (hell, we don't even know if it'll show up at E3, much less get released). There's so much looking forward with the character that we're missing his problems in the present, and I feel those problems are very big issues to consider when trying to talk about him in the base roster that is happening this year with its roster taking notes from the current gaming climate that it was drafted around.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Man, I was 9 when Brawl came out. That's so weird to think about.
Same here. I didn't get it until my 10th birthday.
First time I ever played a Smash game was at a friend's house, just after Brawl's release.
Hard to believe it's been 10 years.

StormC

Smash Hero
I was 16 during the Dojo period. This is my third Smash speculation. I’m too old for this. It’s hard on my heart.

I was gonna give up Smash speculation for good thinking 5 would come out in 2020 or so. But one last round... for the King.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Was the game called Mario and Black Mage kingdom battles and featured black mages as the main characters?
Moving the goalposts aside, you're saying Rabbids will get in because they shared a title with Mario, presumably just like Sonic did (as that's the only other parallel), even though Sonic was included not because of that but because of his huge popularity, in particular on the Brawl poll, which Rabbids won't be able to claim, as their spotlight came after the ballot, plus the fact that they've never been super requested.

So to be clear, a will get in for (a very specific) b, just like c did, even though c got in for d.

Right.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The reasons he gave or Villager not being playable in Brawl are ENTIRELY different.

Sakurai's statement on Villager was merely that he couldn't see such a friendly character fighting.

Ridley's issues were numerous, more specific, and arguably unavoidable:
  • Difficult to balance
  • Wings would have to be clipped
  • Unable to fly around freely
  • Not as much a threatening force as he would be as a boss
  • Too big
I know people say that last one ironically as if it's something to ridicule, but it really is true. Unlike Bowser and Charizard, Ridley's size has always been roughly consistent in Metroid. He's always incredibly larger than Samus with the exception of the very first game.

It's not the same as Bowser who's size compared to Mario is consistent with some games and Olimar who's size is consistent with how his size is portrayed from the perspective of the player.
  • Given Sakurai's known balancing troubles, this one makes sense, I'll admit; but it's not impossible to do if mods can do it at least somewhat reasonably.
  • And so were Pit's, Meta Knight's, Charizard's...
  • Neither can Meta Knight, Charizard, etc. They can jump multiple times, but none can fly freely in Smash.
  • Is Bowser not as much a threatening force when he's not a giant, magically enhanced or otherwise? :p
  • Sure, you can argue that, but again there'd be ways to keep Ridley manageable without making him absurdly large. Tucking his tail and wings closer to his body when not in use, for example.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I was 16 during the Dojo period. This is my third Smash speculation. I’m too old for this. It’s hard on my heart.

I was gonna give up Smash speculation for good thinking 5 would come out in 2020 or so. But one last round... for the King.
These people make me feel old, and I am really not that old... So thank you for making me feel young again. I will probably never give up speculation though. I will be around for Smash Switch U, guaranteed.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm in for the speculation ride for as long as Sakurai decides to keep makin' games. This ain't a community you can just walk away from. It'll draw ya back one way or another.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Moving the goalposts aside, you're saying Rabbids will get in because they shared a title with Mario, presumably just like Sonic did (as that's the only other parallel), even though Sonic was included not because of that but because of his huge popularity, in particular on the Brawl poll, which Rabbids won't be able to claim, as their spotlight came after the ballot, plus the fact that they've never been super requested.

So to be clear, a will get in for (a very specific) b, just like c did, even though c got in for d.

Right.

I never said they WILL get in. They just have a lot more going for them than most of the third party requests. They have a crossover game with Mario, they are featured in the title and in the entire game.
I think more likely than anything they would be dlc. Plus I would also prefer them over Rayman who never appealed to me personally and has less going for him than the rabbids do

Edit: and my point about black mage was that it wasn’t a crossover, or just featured final fantasy characters in a mario sports game, unlike rabbids who were in the title, box art, and played a central role in the game

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm in for the speculation ride for as long as Sakurai decides to keep makin' games. This ain't a community you can just walk away from. It'll draw ya back one way or another.
I came into Brawl speculation pretty late, but was there for everything for Smash 4 and here I am again.

I'm probably gonna be 87 years old and speculating Smash Bros which is now directed by the clone of Masahiro Sakurai that Nintendo keeps in a basement for when they need advice on new Kirby games or just you know a Smash game in general.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

That was me.
Yes, and then I went zorbing the following morning. Needless to say, my partner in the zorb was none to happy about the situation he found himself. Because of the vomit.

Unrelated, I remember I couldn’t go to sleep because I was so damn excited for Smash after Rosalina was revealed. Not because I was a fan but because the game looked so beautiful and the character additions have been great up until then.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Rosalina is the only Smash character I learned about second hand since I was in class during her trailer. That said, I felt extremely vindicated saying she would be in when she was revealed for 3D World the month before. Even if 3DW wasn’t on Sakurai’s radar at the time, the timing couldn’t be better.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Attitudes like this are what make me want King K. Rool less every day since Super Smash Bros Brawl. And he's one of my biggest requests.
So when people are obstinate for a cut you hold it against the person but when they're obstinate for an addition you hold it against the character?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I was 10 when Brawl came out. I was just a kid who had no idea a new Smash game was even on the way prior to it's release. Before Brawl came out, I only owned Melee, and was so out of the loop about Smash at the time that I thought it was the only game in the series. I knew very little about it, though I loved it's one game that I had.

I was still a (young enough) teenager when I finally got into the speculation scene for Smash 4. I was so naive for at least my first year and a half though, that it's probably hard to look back at many of my older posts and not wince.

I should add that, after freaking Cloud Strife was revealed as a newcomer, I quickly declared that I was completely done with Smash speculation forever. You can all see how that turned out. :p

No matter what happens, I always find my way back to it. I hope we're correct on how some things behind the scenes work and how likely some characters are, but I always expect and even hope for more pleasant surprises that Sakurai might have up his sleeve.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So how has your character support changed from game to game?

In Brawl I wanted:
*Ike
Micaiah
Black Knight
*Diddy
Dixie
K Rool
Deoxys
Meowth
*Lucario
Krystal
*Olimar
*Sonic
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow
Geno
*King Dedede

Smash 4 I wanted:
*Palutena
Chrom
*Lucina
*Megaman
*Pacman
Dixie
K Rool
Ridley
*Shulk
*Bowser Jr
*Little Mac
*Miis
Takamaru
Ray
Isaac
Starfy

For Smash 5 I want:

K Rool
Dixie
Rex and Pyra
Toad
Ridley
Crash
Rayman
Spring Man
Decidueye
Chibi Robo
Chorus Kids
Dillon
Takamaru
Isaac
Excite Biker

I find it interesting how after certain installments I lost pretty much all interest in certain characters. and found interest in characters I didn't have before.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Diddy, Dedede, Ridley, and Mega Man for Brawl.

K. Rool, Mega Man, Ridley, and Palutena for 4.

K. Rool, Ridley, Decidueye, and Dixie for 5, not counting Snake/Wolf.

So far I get two each game. How will my luck turn out this time?

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Brawl I wanted animal crossing villager, miis, Waluigi
4 I wanted robin, Palutena, little Mac, Rosalina, villager, miis, Waluigi

Now I want Wonder Red, Phoenix Wright, Viridi, Impa, and Waluigi

Give me the Waluigi I’ve wanted for a decade Sakurai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom