• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Heyo, how about we add Elma, Rex, Pyra and Mythra so we can all be happy and the XC2 roster fitting well?
Also if Elma were to get in, I hope she gets a more cartoony look. Her already realistic design looks ugly and is not eye-candy to watch.
That said, I figure she'd just be part of Pyras Final Smash.
Do not say that. I know it could be the truth, but she is better off as a separate fighter.
I REALLY want Spring Man in the game. But I'm starting to wonder if his timing was too late.
Now you got me worrying. The Mario did not have Cappy on his hat, so I figured it could be 2016.
Then again, it was still in development so I hope that Sakurai tolled down characters he can add into the game. If Springman, Rex, Pyra or Mythra do not get in... then they can probably be DLC. :p

Staarih

Smash Master
Question, even though I know it won't amount to much.

Has Sakurai tweeted anything about the Nindies showcase?

(Know it won't amount to anything Smash but I'm curious)
I don't think so.
Neither have I seen any mention of the Nindies Showcase being shown in Europe or Japan so looks to be just a US thing? Unless I've just overlooked something, though I think the previous showcases were as well. So that should really be the final nail in the coffin for any Smash news potential happening there.

As for ARMS/XC2 representation, I think it's fairy possible even if they were late(r) in development. We don't know how the development of Smash Switch has really gone down, and assuming they've reused plenty of assets from Smash 4, the game could've been almost ready, like, last year for all we know and now they're just adding finishing touches, which would also give time to add something (like a character) if they so wished. Far-fetched, maybe, but who knows.

But of course I realize it's possible that it might've been just too late for those games. I do think, however, that the Wii U has so little to add anymore (or most of it was already covered in Smash 4) that they must be looking at something to add from Switch games, be it full-fledged characters or just stages/trophies.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I don't think so.
Neither have I seen any mention of the Nindies Showcase being shown in Europe or Japan so looks to be just a US thing? Unless I've just overlooked something, though I think the previous showcases were as well. So that should really be the final nail in the coffin for any Smash news potential happening there.

As for ARMS/XC2 representation, I think it's fairy possible even if they were lat(er) in development. We don't know how the development of Smash Switch has really gone down, and assuming they've reused plenty of assets from Smash 4, the game could've been almost ready, like, last year for all we know and now they're just adding finishing touches, which would also give time to add something (like a character) if they so wished. Far-fetched, maybe, but who knows.

But of course I realize it's possible that it might've been just too late for those games. I do think, however, that the Wii U has so little to add anymore (or most of it was already covered in Smash 4) that they must be looking at something to add from Switch games, be it full-fledged characters or just stages/trophies.
I never expected to see anything of Smash in the Nindies presentation, but it definitely is not a U.S. only presentation. Seen a couple of posts from Nintendo Australia promoting it (not that Nintendo Australia is anything other than an entity that regurgitates information from Europe and the U.S. with the proper season and date format).

Even though we do not know how development lined up, I would be amazed if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was developed and translated in less than 2 years, would would put it around the time Smash apparently started development. Likewise with ARMS. Although we have less of a discernible timeline we can assume that they began development on that once Mario Kart 8 WiiU and its DLC were finished, which would have been 2015-ish, so very much in line with Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think all the WiiU had that wasn't in Smash 4 was Splatoon (before DLC), Super Mario Maker (also DLC) Super Mario 3D world (beyond the music), Breath of the Wild and Paper Mario Color Splash.

Edit: Oh and the Star Fox "the gamepad is full of good ideas, seriously guys" duology.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I think all the WiiU had that wasn't in Smash 4 was Splatoon (before DLC), Super Mario Maker (also DLC) Super Mario 3D world (beyond the music), Breath of the Wild and Paper Mario Color Splash.

Edit: Oh and the Star Fox "the gamepad is full of good ideas, seriously guys" duology.
I'd add Xenoblade Chronicles X to that list but yeah, that's about it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd add Xenoblade Chronicles X to that list but yeah, that's about it.
Slipped my mind, yeah.

Though there's one other "new" game Nintendo released recently, though most likely too late for Smash consideration

Star Fox 2. (I wonder if it's console of origin would be the SNES or SNES Mini)

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Slipped my mind, yeah.

Though there's one other "new" game Nintendo released recently, though most likely too late for Smash consideration

Star Fox 2. (I wonder if it's console of origin would be the SNES or SNES Mini)
You are both totally forgetting the best game for the WiiU: Star Fox Guard. Give us Slippy!

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Actually what I'm saying is based on what Sakurai said.

For Smash 4, Sakurai made his deadline for choosing characters 2012. Greninja only got in because he specifically went to Game Freak ahead of time to look for a new Pokemon character.

He also said on one of his slides that he decides all the characters first and doesn't add anymore barring last minute clones. The only character to get in anyways was Sonic.

As for whether or not a Smash for Switch needs a Switch rep...

Show me Smash 4's Wii U rep.

Yeah but SMASH hasn't barring Sonic.

Rex and Spring Man are nowhere near Sonic's level.

That's assuming some things.
I think this is a good argument for the case of any Switch characters. While it may be too early to discuss this topic, I think it could potentially solve this issue.

Does anybody think we could be expecting DLC for this new Smash? If it was too late for their time to shine, then I think that would be better shot for an ARM's character or Rex and Pyra. If this is really a new game and not a port, I would think that Sakurai and his team would want to continue adding more content.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've brought this up a gazillion times, but I'll say it again.

Smash Switch is not like other Smash games, so we can't assume the roster will be handled the same way. Of course no Wii U characters got added in Smash 3DS/Wii U. When there are 29 other veterans you have to recreate, obviously you're not going to have much time to add anyone from later games. This is the first time Sakurai won't have to start from scratch when making the roster, and I'd imagine that gives him a lot of spare time to work on other things (Plus, he's only working on one version this time, so there's that too).

From a business perspective, it'd be incredibly stupid if Nintendo didn't encourage Sakurai to add characters from Switch games, especially since the Switch has already reached out to more people in one year than the Wii U did in its entire lifetime. If the Wii U and late life of the 3DS is the only inspiration for the roster, prepare yourself for a disappointing list of newcomers.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Smash Switch is not like other Smash games, so we can't assume the roster will be handled the same way. Of course no Wii U characters got added in Smash 3DS/Wii U. When there are 29 other veterans you have to recreate, obviously you're not going to have much time to add anyone from later games. This is the first time Sakurai won't have to start from scratch when making the roster, and I'd imagine that gives him a lot of spare time to work on other things (Plus, he's only working on one version this time, so there's that too).
This is one thing I've notices as well. Smash 4 was made in 2.5 years, apparently, which involved revitalization of returning characters from Brawl, creation of new characters, as well as new mechanics, modes, etc. all across two different versions of the game (3DS and Wii U).

Assuming Smash Switch is made with the same life-span, perhaps there will be less effort required in taking assets from Smash on Wii U, thus allowing more development time for new content, such as new/veteran characters, stages, modes, etc. If this holds up, we could potentially see a lot more new content than expected. Of course, this is also assuming that Smash Switch doesn't go through a massive design overhaul.

But for Smash Switch, I have the "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" mindset. I'm not going in expecting a ton of new content, personally, but I still have things I'd like to see.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Sakurai would have known about the existence of ARMS when he started development of Smash 2018. Just because the general public didn't know about it doesn't mean Sakurai didn't. ARMS released really early on in the Switch's life so for all we know Sakurai saw it, loved the concept, loved the idea of the character and decided to put one in Smash.

He also would have known what the marketing initiatives would have been - there would have been a calendar floating around to showcase what the major campaigns were for each month. ARMS had a lot of early Switch marketing. A lot of people know it whether they have the game or not.

I don't think ARMS came too late.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I would be surprised if we didn’t get ARMS content, character or without a character rep. I mean, we got Yoshi’s Wooly World which came out before Smash. And Sakurai didn’t get see to see Greninja in action until after he had actually designed him. I think ARMS is pretty safe. I totally wanna see a reveal trailer where Little Mac dominates the ring only to be met with Springman. As he goes to prefer a powerful KO Punch, Springman unceremoniously knocks him out of the ring with a spring loaded punch from afar.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I never actually thought of it that way. Heard a lot of people say that a character shouldn't be added just because she is female or this or that.

I always wanted Elma to be in smash since she seems to be a very unique character with her gunblades.

I'm not sure if this is true but didn't someone say that there was another game being made by Monolith Soft.

Whether or not it's true, my ideal situation is that if Monolith Soft is working on Xenoblade X port or X2 (maybe both), they'll add Elma as DLC.

I would buy the hell out of that.
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/3...nt-wants-bring-xenoblade-chronicles-x-switch/

Rumors about another game in the X line are abound because XCX ended on a cliffhanger. It also seems to be a game close to Takahashi's heart.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I would like to see Rex, Pyra and Mythra as newcomers. Why do people sleep on Mythra?
I think for the most part, if we do get any Xenoblade newcomers, it'll probably come down to Rex and Pyra, but that latter will have to see some censoring if Smash Switch is looking towards an E10+ rating.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think for the most part, if we do get any Xenoblade newcomers, it'll probably come down to Rex and Pyra, but that latter will have to see some censoring if Smash Switch is looking towards an E10+ rating.
Since Smash is directed at a wider audience and not just teens, I think a little censoring will be required for Pyra.

Besides those who like Pyra for all the wrong reasons, I don't know why people are so against the idea. Based on the speculated designs people have come up with, I think Pyra will look fine.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Regarding the tendency of previous games to focus on previous-gen games, could anyone else see Rex and/or Spring Man missing the base roster but making it for DLC?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since Smash is directed at a wider audience and not just teens, I think a little censoring will be required for Pyra.

Besides those who like Pyra for all the wrong reasons, I don't know why people are so against the idea. Based on the speculated designs people have come up with, I think Pyra will look fine.
Yeah there is such a thing as revealing too much. Sure, Zero Suit Samus does have outfits where her belly is exposed, but her wardrobe choices are not quite as explicit as what Pyra is wearing. At least the easiest way to censor Pyra is to change the coloring for her exposed torso, as the image in the quoted post below shows.

Like this?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I've brought this up a gazillion times, but I'll say it again.

From a business perspective, it'd be incredibly stupid if Nintendo didn't encourage Sakurai to add characters from Switch games, especially since the Switch has already reached out to more people in one year than the Wii U did in its entire lifetime. If the Wii U and late life of the 3DS is the only inspiration for the roster, prepare yourself for a disappointing list of newcomers.
True. Even if the game is a new entry, it is very likely they will reuse assets from the Smash 4. Some people groan at that idea but that can actually be a good thing that would work in the game's favor because it saves time and resources.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I've always been a bit surprised how aggressive some people get over censorship, especially in video games. Then again I'm not a type of person to get invested in characters that much. A few minor alterations to a design shouldn't take away anything from the bigger picture.

Personally, I prefer Mythra's design over Pyra's, but the latter is more important (I think?) and more marketable. I have little knowledge on their importance to XC2, but is there any plausible way both of them + Rex would work as one character?

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, my personal expectation is it won't and it shouldn't. Like I said, just because Smash 4 was E10+ doesn't mean it will be or should be, especially if this is a new game.
But we'll see.

ur... No, doing minor tweaks doesn't help making it direct to a wider audience, nor does makeing it under T rating. Then again, I won't mind if that happens, but just don't prefer it should be E10+ in my opinion.
Remember Super Smash Bros Brawl was rated T and it is still the best selling Smash Bros game.
Yeah there is such a thing as revealing too much. Sure, Zero Suit Samus does have outfits where her belly is exposed, but her wardrobe choices are not quite as explicit as what Pyra is wearing. At least the easiest way to censor Pyra is to change the coloring for her exposed torso, as the image in the quoted post below shows.
Nope, the right image will never happen, officially at least. Keep dreaming. I get that pic is just a joke, for those people who are actually serious though, and I have got a bit of a heat when it comes to this but, it's better for Pyra to stay in her original design and just minor tweaks... Not like that monstrosity.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It worked for Corrin, they can certainly work out something for her. The same thing happened to that female singing idol in Tokyo Mirage Sessions in the localization.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It worked for Corrin, they can certainly work out something for her. The same thing happened to that female singing idol in Tokyo Mirage Sessions in the localization.
Then again, some Wii U and 3DS games tend to get bashed for doing unnecessary censorship. Especially Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ... The censorship on that game was ridiculous, I am sure everyone agrees that?
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was also questioned for whether it will get some censor tweaks when localizing, well visual wise it didn't. And hell, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 you even have swears in English VA. And I'm not just talking about Malos ....

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nope, the right image will never happen, officially at least. Keep dreaming. I get that pic is just a joke, for those people who are actually serious though, and I have got a bit of a heat when it comes to this but, it's better for Pyra to stay in her original design and just minor tweaks... Not like that monstrosity.
The problem is that Pyra's outfit looks too revealing to be utilized in an E10+ environment. Sure, going for the Teen rating may put that issue in the trash, but even then, I'd still feel rather disturbed with the way Pyra's outfit looks.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Personally, I prefer Mythra's design over Pyra's, but the latter is more important (I think?) and more marketable. I have little knowledge on their importance to XC2, but is there any plausible way both of them + Rex would work as one character?
You're asking the wrong person about this, but I think Pyra should definitely be the blade partnered with Rex. No idea if there's a reasonable way for Mythra to coexist with Pyra in Smash. Maybe someone with more expertise on the game could explain a plausible moveset?

ur... No, doing minor tweaks doesn't help making it direct to a wider audience, nor does makeing it under T rating. Then again, I won't mind if that happens, but just don't prefer it should be E10+ in my opinion.
Remember Super Smash Bros Brawl was rated T and it is still the best selling Smash Bros game.
Snake had all of his more violent weapons replaced in Brawl. If it weren't for Wario's flatulence, the game might have gotten a lower rating. If they were trying to censor Smash back then, then Pyra is definitely going to need some changes made to her outfit.

Pretty much all they did was add some thin black stockings and a black shirt. It's not really that big of a change.

Pyra's original design is not going to sit well with parents. Her shorts are about as large as a headband.

Last edited:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Pyra and Mythra are equally important to the plot of XC2.

Ideally, I’d want Rex to be able to switch between the two and gain different moves or properties depending on which one he’s using.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The problem is that Pyra's outfit looks too revealing to be utilized in an E10+ environment. Sure, going for the Teen rating may put that issue in the trash, but even then, I'd still feel rather disturbed with the way Pyra's outfit looks.
Hey, I understand, but then you already admit that's just your personal distaste with Pyra's outfit.
You can personally "wish" it gets censored, but unfortunately that's just maybe not the case.
Personally, I prefer Mythra's design over Pyra's, but the latter is more important (I think?) and more marketable. I have little knowledge on their importance to XC2, but is there any plausible way both of
You ask the right person.... However, both are important in the game
My thoughts is Rex+Pyra+other rare Blades will work similar to Pokémon Trainer... But it is Rex that is fighting, and Pyra and other Blades will be on the back stage. Like in the game there will be a Blade chart on Rex's character stat in the match (Similar to Shulk Monado art icon on his stat) Switch Pyra to Mythra don't affect Rex's moveset nor tm it have cool down but like Monado art it will affect the damage... Or other stuff, when switching to other Blade will give Rex a totally new moveset and final Smash, but will have cool down just like how Monado art works for Shulk. Unlike Shulk's Monado art though Blades don't have time limit.
If they were trying to censor Smash back then, then Pyra is definitely going to need some changes made to her outfit.
Yeah I agree, but bygone is bygone friend... This is Smash Bros Switch we are talking about nothing is set stone.
Pretty much all they did was add some thin black stockings and a black shirt. It's not really that big of a change.

Pyra's original design is not going to sit well with parents. Her shorts are about as large as a headband.
It is odd for you to bring up parents, trust me, some parents (like my parents for example) even consider video games a bad thing in the first place... While kids are also playing T and even M rated games like Overwatch and CoD....
So, no offense, mentioning parents for this is not a good move.
I even once saw a mother bought a Nier Automata PS4 bundle for his 12-14 year old son....
Pyra and Mythra are equally important to the plot of XC2.

Ideally, I’d want Rex to be able to switch between the two and gain different moves or properties depending on which one he’s using.
I personally think Rex will have different moves when switching to other rare Blades.
My rare Blade pick for Smash are KOS-MOS and Zenobia.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
But also remember that this is almost certainly simply due to the massive install base of the Wii relative to any of the other consoles Smash is on rather than anything to do with the age rating, and so bringing it up as an argument for a higher age rating is misleading at best.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Maybe Pyra for damage and Mythra for knockback/speed?
So it's sort of like how Shulk's Buster and Smash Monado Arts work. The former increases damage dealt at the cost of knockback, while the latter increases knockback at the cost of damage dealt.

It is odd for you to bring up parents, trust me, some parents (like my parents for example) even consider video games a bad thing in the first place... While kids are also playing T and even M rated games like Overwatch and CoD....
I even once saw a mother bought a Nier Automata PS4 bundle for his 12-14 year old son....
I'm not as young as I once was, but even if you're old enough to legally be playing an M-rated game, that doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Besides, there's nothing wrong with an adult playing a child-friendly game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, my personal expectation is it won't and it shouldn't. Like I said, just because Smash 4 was E10+ doesn't mean it will be or should be, especially if this is a new game.
But we'll see.

"Monstrosity" is a weirdly strong word to use here.

I don't see Smash going back to a T rating since Nintendo may want to keep the audience as wide as possible. Inclusivity leads to more sales, after all, if there's less of an age barrier. And there's no way Pyra's current design is getting into an E10 game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
One parent =/= every parent.

Take my overprotective aunt for example. She banned my 10 year-old cousin from watching SpongeBob after she walked in on this questionable scene (which in her defense, looks pretty bad if you don't know the context).

Needless to say, she probably wouldn't approve of Pyra. Every parent is different.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't think so.
Indie games sometimes take a while to localize to other regions due to limited resources so it would make sense for it to only be directed at particular regions. I would doubt they would include Smash related stuff there as it would draw attention away from the whole purpose of having the showcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom