• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
And then for the two people on the planet that do end up guessing who that "WTF" character is going to be, it's just... Congrats? You threw out a random guess and it happened to be right? I guess someone's luck is more important to acknowledge than the basis of which one can reason out why 90% of everyone else gets into Smash?

I could say Diskun is going to get into Smash right now, but does that honestly say anything other than that I'm just absurdly lucky if I end up being right? I could claim "I always knew in hindsight and here's why" when it's still an absolute fact that anything I could say would only be my own attempt to grab 15 minutes of fame and act like I had any more of a method than to randomly think of who people don't want in Smash.

Speculation this way is the difference between amateur and professional poker players. One will bank everything on the unlikely scenario, while the other uses deduction skills to make the call with the highest perceived probability. Only the professional is going to end up consistently right in their guesses. The ones who just make blind picks with little prior thought put into them aren't exactly making any contributions to the field.

It's for that reason that I say discussions on who our "WTF" choice is going to be are completely pointless. With just about any other character not meant to fill out a quota, we're figuring out why they would make sense in Smash Bros. and how they are likely for it. "I'm calling this character because nobody else will" for the sake of random guessing adds nothing to the discussion, imo.
While I generally agree, I don't see any harm in people having the discussion just for fun even if it proves to be a fruitless endeavor when it comes to actually making predictions on who might make it in.

Plus not everyone is necessarily throwing ideas at a wall hoping that one of their guesses sticks for the sake of going "I called it!" A lot of suggestions like the Style Savvy character or Stunt Race FX character a few pages back are more so meant as characters that their supporters would like to see and feel would be generally unexpected to most others.

More wishful thinking that speculation, but not devoid of any merit/substance like guessing for the sake of it imo at least.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If this isn't a joke.... uh...
No actually am pretty serious. In a desolate place uninhabitable by all sort of life on our Earth capable of hearing, why would a tree make a sound by falling?

Let's see what the topic is about now... I promise to be on topic next post. :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No actually am pretty serious. In a desolate place uninhabitable by all sort of life on our Earth capable of hearing, why would a tree make a sound by falling?
Because sound is a basic part of physics.

It still makes a sound. There is just nothing to hear it.

Kind of like if nobody sees me steal a cookie from the cookie jar, did I actually steal it?

Answer is yes in both cases.

So folks.

How would you react if mobile exclusive characters like Alfonse and Shareena from Fire Emblem Heroes or Candele, Blanche and Spark from Pokemon Go?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
So folks.

How would you react if mobile exclusive characters like Alfonse and Shareena from Fire Emblem Heroes or Candele, Blanche and Spark from Pokemon Go?
Honestly it'd depend on the character, but generally, I really wouldn't mind. Trophies I fully expect, and preferably I want characters from the main games, but the mobile games are big enough to warrant some content imo.

That said, aside from the two FE Heroes characters, there aren't really any other candidates are there? I highly doubt we'll ever get any human characters from Pokemon.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Kind of like if nobody sees me steal a cookie from the cookie jar, did I actually steal it?

So folks.

If Sakurai thought Chrom was too generic and then went for Alfonse, Prince of the Benchwarmers, I'd be well and truly sad.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If Sakurai thought Chrom was too generic and then went for Alfonse, Prince of the Benchwarmers, I'd be well and truly sad.
If anything they should revisit the idea of adding Chrom now that he's gotten even more popular as we see in both Heroes and the little we've seen of Warriors.

Luminario

Smash Lord
So folks.

Sharenas got a spear so she could do some unique stuff with that. The only thing I see from the mobile games are trophies and maybe Anna gets her Heroes axe if shes playable. Someone mentioned a Go styled stage a while back which would be pretty cool, especially if they rip off real landmarks and Nintendo-fy them (like Prism Tower)
What would the Go team leader do anyway?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So folks.

Probably by scratching my head. Though not gonna lie, there is an appeal to one of the FE Heroes lords fighting with their weapon and then using the Breidablik to summon other heroes for their specials.

Speaking of which, it's nigh-inevitable that FE Warriors will get DLC. I wonder if they'd do a Heroes pack with the likes of Alfonse, Sharena, Veronica, and Bruno if the DLC process went on long enough?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I never understood this logic.

There is no point in speculating a "WTF Character". If you can guess the character, they aren't exactly a character that would make you go "WTF" like Wii Fit Trainer did, now are they?
Fair enough, just thought it'd be fun lol.

I'll stick to speculating definites.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Probably by scratching my head. Though not gonna lie, there is an appeal to one of the FE Heroes lords fighting with their weapon and then using the Breidablik to summon other heroes for their specials.

Speaking of which, it's nigh-inevitable that FE Warriors will get DLC. I wonder if they'd do a Heroes pack with the likes of Alfonse, Sharena, Veronica, and Bruno if the DLC process went on long enough?
I completely forgot about the summon gun thingy. That could actually work really well to get like 20 different FE characters in the game as different attacks as the gun could open portals to summon them or parts of them like Yuna in Dissidia. You got a Camilla axe side smash, a Falchion ftilt slash, a Blessed Lance utilt stab, Cordelia for an Up B recovery, various mages with tomes as a B charge move, it's got incredible potential.

D

Deleted member

Fair enough, just thought it'd be fun lol.

I'll stick to speculating definites.
I'm not saying to not speculate unknowns.

I'm merely saying that speculating a "WTF" character defeats the entire purpose of what makes it a "WTF" character in the first place.
The very idea of one is that it's a character barely anyone even considered as a possibility to where their inclusion blindsides everyone.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

I'm merely saying that speculating a "WTF" character defeats the entire purpose of what makes it a "WTF" character in the first place.
The very idea of one is that it's a character barely anyone even considered as a possibility to where their inclusion blindsides everyone.
Yeah sorry about the first response. I'd just woken up and rereading it it was pretty immature.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I, for one, think a "WTF" character can still be speculated.

After all, the very definition of speculation is basically making theories without any real evidence i.e. random guessing.

In that sense, anything can be speculated.

Luminario

Smash Lord

Can't we just change the definition of a WTF character to be a character that the general market wouldn't expect?
Characters like :4wiifit: and :4villagerf: opened the floodgates on this site for potential non-fighter fighters. On here we know that characters such as Nikki, Isabelle, or a Style Savvy rep all have potential and could be candidates for the next Smash, but to most people off this site they might not be considered at all and that's what we should consider a WTF character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Well, that doesn't really preclude the ability to speculate who it might be down the road, just so long as people recognize we're doing little more than making shots in the dark. The distinction with guessing the WTF character is people usually say who it could be instead of who it would be. And in that no one is really mislead.

And fwiw there are the WTF characters virtually no one sees coming, like WFT, but then there are those with small groups who entertain the thought, like DHD or ROB.

Can't we just change the definition of a WTF character to be a character that the general market wouldn't expect?
Characters like :4wiifit: and :4villagerf: opened the floodgates on this site for potential non-fighter fighters. On here we know that characters such as Nikki, Isabelle, or a Style Savvy rep all have potential and could be candidates for the next Smash, but to most people off this site they might not be considered at all and that's what we should consider a WTF character.
Personally I think many people embrace, or at least are not opposed, to the notion of Isabelle in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

So folks.

But your cookie's stealing was your doing. You consciously stole it, so that's different. I think that's not a good comparison. I'm pretty sure the vibration will be there, but if there's no living creature around to hear the sound, thus to receive the vibration... who's to say it'll actually make a sound?

A Villager semi clone like character seems somewhat likely to me to. Also think a second Sonic character is not even out of the question.

They might just as in franchises we don't expect. A Wario franchise newcomer is not often talked about any ore for example..

D

Deleted member

The design is neat, but Waluigi remains a Mario character. It does beg the question of why they haven't bothered including Waluigi in the Wario Ware series though.
Because R&D1 didn't make him.

See, the whole point of Wario's existence was meant to be a personification of the R&D1 team's displeasure at having to make a game for a character they didn't create.
Then Wario himself grew popular, so the team started using him for games.
Since Waluigi was made by Camelot and not them, it's unlikely they will use him in any Wario game made by them.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Because R&D1 didn't make him.

See, the whole point of Wario's existence was meant to be a personification of the R&D1 team's displeasure at having to make a game for a character they didn't create.
Then Wario himself grew popular, so the team started using him for games.
Since Waluigi was made by Camelot and not them, it's unlikely they will use him in any Wario game made by them.
Which is quite a shame, really.

It'd be great to see Waluigi finally get fleshed out outside of sports games and other spin-offs. He doesn't necessarily need a game of his own (Luigi barely has three) but a more prominent role in a game that isn't a spin-off would, again, be great, imo. Or a playable role in Smash Bros., of course.

Also, somehow I never knew that fact about Wario's creation until now. I always thought he was simply conceived as a "bad" counterpart and foil to Mario.

Last edited:

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
I'd love for a super random character from a few game generations ago - my brother and I were on a nostalgia kick and talking about old games and characters that could weirdly fit smash.

Buck Bumble and Mischief Makers were our favorite. I kind of love the "WTF" character just because I love the unexpected.

D

Deleted member

Also, somehow I never knew that fact about Wario's creation until now. I always thought he was simply conceived as a "bad" counterpart and foil to Mario.
Oh, he was.
It's just that there's a deeper meaning. He was meant to symbolize their situation and be a gross exaggeration of Mario, who was someone they had no creative passion for.

D

Deleted member

Don't know why everyone clamors for Goku to be in Smash.

If Smash were to get an anime character, it should be Luffy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I saw a WTF character discussion...

My WTF character choice is Track Meet, the nameless athlete from the NES Power Pad game World Class Track Meet.

The NES Action Set bundle came with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt.
The NES Deluxe Set bundle came with Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and Gyromite.
The NES Power Set bundle came with Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and World Class Track Meet.

First... Brawl introduced :4rob: a NES character who represents the Robotic Operating Buddy peripheral.
Then... SSB4 introduced :4duckhunt: a NES character who represents the NES Zapper peripheral.
Could SSB5 introduce Track Meet, a NES character who represents the NES Power Pad peripheral?

D

Deleted member

I saw a WTF character discussion...

My WTF character choice is Track Meet, the nameless athlete from the NES Power Pad game World Class Track Meet.

The NES Action Set bundle came with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt.
The NES Deluxe Set bundle came with Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and Gyromite.
The NES Power Set bundle came with Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and World Class Track Meet.

First... Brawl introduced :4rob: a NES character who represents the Robotic Operating Buddy peripheral.
Then... SSB4 introduced :4duckhunt: a NES character who represents the NES Zapper peripheral.
Could SSB5 introduce Track Meet, a NES character who represents the NES Power Pad peripheral?
How many times do I have to tell you that Nintendo didn't make that?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've been playing Drill Dozer lately, I wouldn't mind Jill as a potential surprise pick. I mean, the GBA era has kind of been in that awkward middle era of gaming now, so I don't think many would expect a character from that to appear in Smash at this point. (Well, unless your name is Isaac or Andy I guess, who's games I'm also trying to get into recently)

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
So, what do you think about Bomberman's chances?
Depends. Snake's an easy port and is a popular vet, but MGS has focused on Big Boss recently so Snake isn't really relevant. Bomberman would need a new model and moveset, but Super Bomberman R JUST came out, so he's in the spotlight again.. I doubt we get both, so Bomberman's chances depend on whether Konami go with him or Snake.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Not as high as everyone seems to think as the "shoo in for a third party" but relatively high.

Top 10 most likely 3rd parties without a doubt, probably top 5.
That's my stance, more or less. He does have a chance now that he's back and doing things again, but between some unanswered questions regarding Konami and how difficult third parties are to predict, I'm hesitant to say he's a lock. Top 5 among third parties, I can see, but we don't even know how many this potential port could end up with.

The Smash fanbase has a bad habit of putting the cart before the horse.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386

Next RTC editon when Blue_Sword_Edge Blue_Sword_Edge ?
When we got an official release of Smash being announced or maybe during July, depending which comes first. I'll ask Zebei or anyone other moderator about the RTC.

Aside from that, what did I miss? Sorry, I have been on a hiatus and now I am back.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How many times do I have to tell you that Nintendo didn't make that?
Yes, but Bandai owns Family Fun Fitness Stadium Events and Nintendo owns World Class Track Meet.

TM and @ Bandai 1987
Licensed by Nintendo of America Inc.

@ 1988 Nintendo

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Yes, but Bandai owns Family Fun Fitness Stadium Events and Nintendo owns World Class Track Meet.

TM and @ Bandai 1987

@ 1988 Nintendo
Nintendo did rebrand it as a first party title, but tbh, I don't think any of the Power Pad games really lend themselves well to making a Smash Bros. character. And iirc the only other game that used it that Nintendo actually owns is the two in one Short Order/Eggsplode! game. One is about making burgers and the other is about getting bombs from under chickens?

Granted Sakurai took a lot of creative liberties with :4rob:&:4duckhunt:, but I still feel that these two still had more to offer to begin with. As a robot, Sakurai could get away with a lot of what he ended up giving ROB as it was fitting for a robot. Duck Hunt combined elements from Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley and the Zapper itself.

Unless they try to combine elements from all 3, I don't think the track runner has much to offer. And even then, they wouldn't mesh well in the same way things fit together for Duck Hunt. The Zapper could at least be incorporated as someone shooting at the screen, but the same can't really be done for the Power Pad, and the runner himself only runs and jumps.

The main issue is how do you make a character out of a game with literally only running in a straight line and jumping while staying true to the game?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

TM and @ Bandai 1987

@ 1988 Nintendo
Nintendo only has publishing rights for the rebrand. It's still Bandai's game.

That makes it 3rd Party.
Is the game having a bundle with Mario and Duck Hunt such a big deal to warrant a random character in Smash just because Bandai-Namco is involved, when the game overall didn't nearly make as much profit as the other two, even with the bundle?
Because I can think of another Bandai franchise that would be a much bigger deal for fans to warrant a character.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Nintendo only has publishing rights for the rebrand. It's still Bandai's game.

That makes it 3rd Party.
Is the game having a bundle with Mario and Duck Hunt such a big deal to warrant a random character in Smash just because Bandai-Namco is involved, when the game overall didn't nearly have as many sales as the two other games?
Because I can think of another Bandai franchise that would be a bigger deal.
Of course, Bravoman is long overdue for some recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom