• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh boy, more pic time...

So I went to see my sister, and her in-laws live with her. The room they have is... well, you're just gonna have to see for yourselves...

Anyways, here's another picture with me, my brother an my sister in the same room for the first time in 6 or more years...

Paging Noipoi Noipoi :yoshi:
You look great! I'm happy for you and your family.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Seriously, if you pick hazardless, I really wish you wouldn't pair up with people who choose BF/FD.

In fact, I think putting that in as an option for online matchmaking was a terrible idea to begin with.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Playing through world of light, I just got to
The area that's an exact replica of the world map from the original DKC, it's so rad! Normally I wouldn't even care, but on a whim I decided to get the
SNES classic a few months ago and i've come to love Donkey Kong Country. This makes me really happy.

osby

Smash Obsessed
People really love to **** on melee for whatever reason. Don't know what melee did to you guys but if you hate that people enjoy it so much then uh. . .

find a hobby I guess
???

People literally **** on every Smash game except 3DS and 64 because they keep forgetting they exist.

The area that's an exact replica of the world map from the original DKC, it's so rad! Normally I wouldn't even care, but on a whim I decided to get the
SNES classic a few months ago and i've come to love Donkey Kong Country. This makes me really happy.
I really liked the subworlds in Adventure Mode. DKC one is not my favorite but it was pretty fun + Funky Kong

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
???

People literally **** on every Smash game except 3DS and 64 because they keep forgetting they exist.

I really liked the subworlds in Adventure Mode. DKC one is not my favorite but it was pretty fun + Funky Kong
No it's fine to hate the game, do it all you like. But there's a distinct anit-melee crowd who seem to hate that others enjoy the game.
Obviously it's like that for other games in the series but it seems like there's a lot more of it with that one

osby

Smash Obsessed
No it's fine to hate the game, do it all you like. But there's a distinct anit-melee crowd who seem to hate that others enjoy the game.
Obviously it's like that for other games in the series but it seems like there's a lot more of it with that one
I think it's called Hype Backslash.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Seriously, if you pick hazardless, I really wish you wouldn't pair up with people who choose BF/FD.

In fact, I think putting that in as an option for online matchmaking was a terrible idea to begin with.
Well, having the option is nice for those who want to play casual-style matches on quick play but with less chaotic versions of the stages. But, yeah, it'd be better if the server more forcefully kept players choosing that option separate.

That'd cause a split between those picking Omegas and those picking Battlefields, though, as it'd separate them more forcefully, too... I think they should merge the Omega and Battlefield options for quick play anyway, personally.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, having the option is nice for those who want to play casual-style matches on quick play but with less chaotic versions of the stages. But, yeah, it'd be better if the server more forcefully kept players choosing that option separate.

That'd cause a split between those picking Omegas and those picking Battlefields, though, as it'd separate them more forcefully, too... I think they should merge the Omega and Battlefield options for quick play anyway, personally.
The issue is the distinction between that hardcore and casual stages.
I've yet to play a single person who had stages that were crazy, but I've played dozens of players with FD and hazardless.

I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to put the distinction between hazardless and FD/BF much more strict when the same is already done with hazarded stages.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So any recent topic of interest that I should know about? I assume it's about what stages to pick online? For me, I really only go to Battlefield versions of stages as they benefit me, relatively speaking.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Okay so I'm almost done with WoL.

So, about
Dharkon...
CREEPY.
AS.

Seriously, those tentacles were making my skin crawl, and then the way it moved. Yeeeeah...

I'm running the last map now, so hopefully tomorrow I can unlock the last few characters and see how this ends.

Oh, and I'm loving the individual maps that are like from the games themselves.
Of course, my favorite was the Zelda map. The whole clock thing was great - I love those puzzles you have to think about for a bit and then you feel so great when you just get it. And by the way, Zelda with a Lv. 99 Calamity Ganon spirit is a recipe to wreck anything and everything.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So does anybody know what that pulsating thing in the center of Brinstar Depths is? It freaks out whenever Kraid hits the stage, and it’s honestly kinda unsettling.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Okay so I'm almost done with WoL.

So, about
Dharkon...
CREEPY.
AS.

Seriously, those tentacles were making my skin crawl, and then the way it moved. Yeeeeah...

I'm running the last map now, so hopefully tomorrow I can unlock the last few characters and see how this ends.

Oh, and I'm loving the individual maps that are like from the games themselves.
Of course, my favorite was the Zelda map. The whole clock thing was great - I love those puzzles you have to think about for a bit and then you feel so great when you just get it. And by the way, Zelda with a Lv. 99 Calamity Ganon spirit is a recipe to wreck anything and everything.
I really liked that you had to find Impa and beat her spirit battle before Zelda appeared. It was like she was hiding/protecting her just like in OoT and SS. Also, I now exclusively use the Impa spirit whenever I need a blue one to make up for her not being playable.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm torn between that area being my favourite and another one that comes later.

In other news, I have all the non-fighter spirits*! I got the last of them yesterday.
*besides LG Pikachu and LG Eevee, and obviously the inevitable Persona ones.
I have 56 Fighter Spirits left to get (many of which are just alts that I will buy in the shop, because I'm not doing Bowser Jr's Classic Mode 8 times for all the Koopalings) and then I'll have all 1294 of them.

That being said, I'm going to play FighterZ for a bit, because I want all the Christmas stuff, and I need to actually play the game to get the in-game money to buy it all. So... taking a break from Smash to do that.

Also, I slept mostly through yesterday... *sigh*

Last edited:
Smash 64 suuuuuucks, Luigi is essentially the same as Mario. Jigglypuff clearly stole the spot of my most wanted Geno and who the hell is this Captain Falchion anyway he doesn't deserve to be there? And speaking of swords, Link is the only swordman in the game i feel like there were some missed opportunities there. :p

Anyone know what the new update does?
People are still working on finding out everything but some changes have been confirmed: https://smashboards.com/threads/v1-2-0-patch-notes.465465/

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So does anybody know what that pulsating thing in the center of Brinstar Depths is? It freaks out whenever Kraid hits the stage, and it’s honestly kinda unsettling.
It's a brain. It's more obvious in Melee.
I always figured it was Mother Brain for some reason..but her Assist Trophy can appear on Brinstar Depth..so I don't know who's brain it is..

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Brawl is by far the most hated game in the series, maybe not so much recently due to SSE nostalgia doing it a huge favor, but overall it's still widely agreed upon to be the worst game in the series due to its atrocious gameplay and hugely negative impact on the competitive scene at the time.

Other than that I agree, the Nintendo fanbase does what you describe a lot, eventually something gets talked about so much that the people who don't absolutely love it decide it's better to actively hate it, just because they want to be contrarians. It's more than alright to not have the same opinion as the masses of course, but when that opinion is mostly just shaped by jealousy and pettiness rather than one's own experiences with a game, it contributes absolutely nothing to anything.

Like, I honestly don't get why anyone would hate Melee, it's perfectly fine if someone prefers everything that came after, but there's nothing in the game that's so divisive that it could in any way be argued to be a bad game, and you gotta at least appreciate its impact, it made by far the biggest evolution of any Smash game and is the reason the series is where it is today.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Brawl is by far the most hated game in the series, maybe not so much recently due to SSE nostalgia doing it a huge favor, but overall it's still widely agreed upon to be the worst game in the series due to its atrocious gameplay and hugely negative impact on the competitive scene at the time.

Other than that I agree, the Nintendo fanbase does what you describe a lot, eventually something gets talked about so much that the people who don't absolutely love it decide it's better to actively hate it, just because they want to be contrarians. It's more than alright to not have the same opinion as the masses of course, but when that opinion is mostly just shaped by jealousy and pettiness rather than one's own experiences with a game, it contributes absolutely nothing to anything.

Like, I honestly don't get why anyone would hate Melee, it's perfectly fine if someone prefers everything that came after, but there's nothing in the game that's so divisive that it could in any way be argued to be a bad game, and you gotta at least appreciate its impact, it made by far the biggest evolution of any Smash game and is the reason the series is where it is today.
Well it could be just their opinion of it, I like Melee but I never really cared about the tournament scene with that game and I feel it's the hardest to get used to not to mention the Ai is very bad. I mean I enjoyed it more than 64 but I've had more fun with each later installment more even regarding Brawl's issues didn't stop me from enjoying the game when I was younger.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You guys know what I hate the most about this fanbase whenever a new Smash game comes out? "Meh, this current one isn't so great. It's lackluster now that the shiny new one is coming out soon. In fact, this prequel was never good at all."

Bonus points if they unfavorably compare that game to Melee. Smash 4 in particular has been getting a ton of heat recently. It feels like it became the red-headed stepchild of the franchise.

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
You guys know what I hate the most about this fanbase whenever a new Smash game comes out? "Meh, this current one isn't so great. It's lackluster now that the shiny new one is coming out soon. In fact, this prequel was never good at all."

Bonus points if they unfavorably compare that game to Melee. Smash 4 in particular has been getting a ton of heat recently. It feels like it became the red-headed stepchild of the franchise.
Ultimate was never good, nobody wanted any of the newcomers and it feels horrible to play compared to Melee. Smash Bros Definitive is the way to go, its absolutely flawless, perfect gameplay and characters. Its finally the game to surpass everything.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
hot take: all of the smash games, regardless of comparative quality, are far above the industry standard and were clearly well-intentioned labours of love by each successive dev team

osby

Smash Obsessed

Hot take: Not every Smash fan cares about competitive scene.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well it could be just their opinion of it, I like Melee but I never really cared about the tournament scene with that game and I feel it's the hardest to get used to not to mention the Ai is very bad. I mean I enjoyed it more than 64 but I've had more fun with each later installment more even regarding Brawl's issues didn't stop me from enjoying the game when I was younger.
Of course, but I don't think that's enough to hate the game, even if you find it underwhelming compared to its sequels, at worst that just means you think it's not aged that well.

Like, take a game which most certainly hasn't aged well, like Metroid 1. You have no map, you can't duck, and you can't shoot diagonally, and graphically it looks pretty bad even by NES standards. I would never ever hate it or call it a bad game though, it was a revolutionary game that I highly appreciate for kickstarting my favorite franchise, even if it plays really poorly by modern standards.

Not that those criticisms would hold true for Melee, you'd be hard pressed to put together a sound argument for why it plays poorly, but I feel like even if you see no reason to pick it up anymore, you gotta at least respect it. This goes beyond Smash as well, Pokémon Red for example has got to be one of the most disrespected games amongst its core community, despite the series owing everything to it.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Of course, but I don't think that's enough to hate the game, even if you find it underwhelming compared to its sequels, at worst that just means you think it's not aged that well.

Like, take a game which most certainly hasn't aged well, like Metroid 1. You have no map, you can't duck, and you can't shoot diagonally, and graphically it looks pretty bad even by NES standards. I would never ever hate it or call it a bad game though, it was a revolutionary game that I highly appreciate for kickstarting my favorite franchise, even if it plays really poorly by modern standards.

Not that those criticisms would hold true for Melee, you'd be hard pressed to put together a sound argument for why it plays poorly, but I feel like even if you see no reason to pick up Melee anymore, you gotta at least respect it.
If someone hates Melee then that's simply their opinion. I never understood why people just don't accept that, just because someone hates something popular doesn't mean their opinion is wrong.

osby

Smash Obsessed
No but its not mandatory either to participate competitively. I don't get how melee ostracized casual players when you could play casually anyway.
Oh, sorry, I was just explaining why I don't give a **** about Brawl not being suited to competitive play.

Also, tbh, I don't get why some Melee fans act so victimized about people not liking it.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hot take: Not every Smash fan cares about competitive scene.
I never said anyone had to do that, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Furthermore, Melee's influence goes far beyond the competitive community, it's still a brilliant party game, and at the time that was the primary reason for its success.

Even then, not caring about something isn't the problem, in fact it'd be lovely if more people would continue to just not care instead of turning that into a genuine dislike for something, just because others like it.

If someone hates Melee then that's simply their opinion. I never understood why people just don't accept that, just because someone hates something popular doesn't mean their opinion is wrong.
I mean, I literally said that in my initial post, it's not about following the masses, but rather about at least showing respect for what brought the series to where it is. The discussion was about disliking a game not because of what it is, but just to be a contrarian, and in my opinion that's not a good reason to hate on something, especially not a game that was as crucial to the series' future as Melee was.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Brawl was fun enough to me.

That's all I can say. It did its job well

As for "Incredible party game"? Let me tell ya: Half the people playing Melee, including myself when I was little, couldn't even recover well half the time. At least Brawl has easier controls, and a co-op Adventure and other modes as well.

That feels like more of a casual party game to me.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Guys and gals I need some help. When I do online quickplay, it takes a good 3-10 minutes before I find a match, even if I have no preferred ruleset on. But everyone else I watch finds games in a couple seconds, even if they have a preferred ruleset on. Anyone know what might be going on?

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Guys and gals I need some help. When I do online quickplay, it takes a good 3-10 minutes before I find a match, even if I have no preferred ruleset on. But everyone else I watch finds games in a couple seconds, even if they have a preferred ruleset on. Anyone know what might be going on?
Do you disconnect often and end up getting suspended?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I never said anyone had to do that, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Furthermore, Melee's influence goes far beyond the competitive community, it's still a brilliant party game, and at the time that was the primary reason for its success.

Even then, not caring about something isn't the problem, in fact it'd be lovely if more people would continue to just not care instead of turning that into a genuine dislike for something, just because others like it.

I mean, I literally said that in my initial post, it's not about following the masses, but rather about at least showing respect for what brought the series to where it is. The discussion was about disliking a game not because of what it is, but just to be a contrarian, and in my opinion that's not a good reason to hate on something, especially not a game that was as crucial to the series' future as Melee was.
It's still simply up to the person's thoughts about how they view what Melee caused, some people may not like that Melee made the some fans of series trying to be more focused on being competitive. You just have to accept that not everyone is going to agree with your stance on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom