• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I do think she's kind of a cool character at least. Sorta combining Protoman and Roll into a single character. She should at least be a Mii costume after SF Mega Man.
Not to mention her music elements. Setting traps with her boom boxes, machine gun string to stun enemies, etc. Always considered making her a movelist...

Either way it's totally a monkey's paw pipe dream of mine, haha. I'd have liked to hope she could have at least made it in MvC since she actually did pretty well in UMvC3's official character polls (She was top 20 for Capcom and second only to X and EXE in terms of Megaman reps surprisingly), but that was also years ago and Infinite seems pretty much dead now so :V

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Rick & co would actually be a really fun character I think.

Honestly, any of the first three new friends added to Star Allies would be awesome in my books.
My boyfriend has been dreaming of Gooey in Smash ever since we got the dream friends dlc. Despite the fact that he called him Blobo and Glooby for the first few weeks XD.

On that note I remember seeing some old Japanese smash ballots from like before Melee that showed Gooey in the top 10 most wanted...When it comes to classic Kirby characters I wonder if Marx has more competition than people think.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Like I said in RTC, we might get two Kirby reps.

I'll take a certain wrestling insect who was in the anime and in every game Marx was in, plus more, over Marx any day.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

Honestly, any of the first three new friends added to Star Allies would be awesome in
I'd love to have the Rick/Kine/Coo trio functionning like they do in Star Allires, with them switching during severa attacks.Unfortunately my favourite (Kine. I love sunfishes) would be the one with the least screentime.

Though in the end of the day, I'd love nearly every Kirby character they can throw at me as long as Bandana Dee comes first.

D

Deleted member

Like I said in RTC, we might get two Kirby reps.

I'll take a certain wrestling insect who was in the anime and in every game Marx was in, plus more, over Marx any day.
If Bugzy were to get in over Chef Kawasaki, I would be pissed.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'd love to have the Rick/Kine/Coo trio functionning like they do in Star Allires, with them switching during severa attacks.Unfortunately my favourite (Kine. I love sunfishes) would be the one with the least screentime.

Though in the end of the day, I'd love nearly every Kirby character they can throw at me as long as Bandana Dee comes first.
Yeah, for me, regardless of who gets in, I'd just like another Kirby rep. It's such a delightful universe. Pure joy and the power of love conquering some super dark and weird evils, haha

The cutest Lovecraftian tale ever told :p

EDIT: @GoldenYuiitusin Side note, BIG fan of the new look. Huge Godzilla nerd here.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think a lot of people put too much faith in the "only truely relevant in one game" argument.

For example, Skull Kid keeps getting shafted in smash discussion because of his single game status. I think he's a lot more relevant than ppl think, because the Majora's Mask is still relevant. That thing is iconic. If Skull Kid gets in, 80% of the people here would have hindsight bias and be like "oh yeah, he made sense" despite not really thinking so until if he's revealed.

Dark Matter and Marx both have this "not really relevant" argument, however, both the Dark Matter fights AND the Marx fight are super iconic, and the majority of final Kirby bosses usually are based off one or both of them. (Dark Mind, Void Termina -> Dark Matter, Magolor, Sectonia -> Marx, etc.)

If we look at one-shot characters (or characters that aren't relevant anymore) I say we should judge them more on how they influenced the series and if they continue to be referenced in modern, recent games. (in addition to their original appearance as well.) That's my take on one-shots.

While previous smash games haven't really added one-shot characters that weren't relevant at the time of release, we are running out of notable, relevant characters for smash. I feel like a few one-off characters are going to be added this time, whether it be from Zelda, Kirby, or some other franchise.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If Bugzy were to get in over Chef Kawasaki, I would be pissed.
Yeah honestly, if you are referencing the anime in the first place Kawasaki was probably one of the more important side characters, while Bugzy only showed up a few times, usually not even close to his in-game appearances (he uses swords, lmao what)

I'd honest to god be completely fine if Kawasaki was in smash. However, he better have his anime voice lmao

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think a lot of people put too much faith in the "only truely relevant in one game" argument.

For example, Skull Kid keeps getting shafted in smash discussion because of his single game status. I think he's a lot more relevant than ppl think, because the Majora's Mask is still relevant. That thing is iconic. If Skull Kid gets in, 80% of the people here would have hindsight bias and be like "oh yeah, he made sense" despite not really thinking so until if he's revealed.
I completely agree with your point but I want to point out something that always sticks out to me and that is how would Skull Kid fight?? I love the character and he would be super cool in Smash, but I don't see the moveset potential. He doesn't actually do anything in Majora's Mask on screen, and even in Hyrule Warriors Tatl and Tael do most of the fighting. He could pull from generic dark magic and hexing but I think if any character were to pull from that it should be Ashley.

Also, yes I know, tons of characters in Smash have basically made up movesets, so I'm not doubting it. Just curious what people are thinking Sakurai would see in him.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Still trying to catch up with the thread and all...

Since some people mentioned Eggman a few times, imagine if both Eggman AND Dr.Wily were playable? Actual thuggery would ensue if I saw that happen.

Honestly, any of the first three new friends added to Star Allies would be awesome in my books.
Yeah, he could be an alright choice. Giant Hamster combos and all that.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Still trying to catch up with the thread and all...

Since some people mentioned Eggman a few times, imagine if both Eggman AND Dr.Wily were playable? Actual thuggery would ensue if I saw that happen.

Yeah, he could be an alright choice. Giant Hamster combos and all that.
If both Eggman and Doctor Wily were playable, we could somewhat recreate the Megaman-Sonic Archie crossover.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If both Eggman and Doctor Wily were playable, we could somewhat recreate the Megaman-Sonic Archie crossover.
I'm not sure if we'd properly be able to recreate it - there'd be a key element missing:

D

Deleted member

If Skull Kid gets in, 80% of the people here would have hindsight bias and be like "oh yeah, he made sense" despite not really thinking so until if he's revealed.
Skull Kid may be one of the most iconic Zelda characters not currently playable in Smash, but I wouldn't react like that. As a matter of fact, I'd be shocked that Sakurai added another Zelda character, period.

(Before you respond to this, yes, I know this post wasn't directed towards anyone in particular.)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I completely agree with your point but I want to point out something that always sticks out to me and that is how would Skull Kid fight?? I love the character and he would be super cool in Smash, but I don't see the moveset potential. He doesn't actually do anything in Majora's Mask on screen, and even in Hyrule Warriors Tatl and Tael do most of the fighting. He could pull from generic dark magic and hexing but I think if any character were to pull from that it should be Ashley.

Also, yes I know, tons of characters in Smash have basically made up movesets, so I'm not doubting it. Just curious what people are thinking Sakurai would see in him.
I think Skull Kid could use the laser vision the Majora's mask uses in its boss battle, but yeah it would mostly be original stuff.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I'm not sure if we'd properly be able to recreate it - there'd be a key element missing:

Ah, you're right.
Maybe if Dr. Wily and Eggman's robots both had punching functions, we could get them to do a Robotic Evil Bro Fist?

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Good to see other G-Fans here. XD

Kiryu is my favorite kaiju.

....and my favorite mecha. :p
You have good taste :) Kiryu is definitely my favorite version of MechaG.

His final smash would be to bring the moon down upon all the fighters. I'm happy if they just work backwards from there :laugh:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Would anyone care to critique my roster?

Newcomers: Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong (clone), Sheriff/Mr. Jack, Takamaru, Sylux, Bandana Dee, Decidueye, Isabelle, Alph (clone), Elma, Inkling, Bomberman, Rayman, Steve (13 plus 2 clones)
Returning: Ice Climbers, Wolf (2)

Captain Toad: A fairly popular and extremely recognizable character who has appeared in all of the last three mainline Mario games. Not only that, he's the star of his own game now, which is set to appear on not one, but three Nintendo consoles. He is the newcomer I'm most confident in predicting. (Certainty High)

Dixie Kong: A popular character from a popular franchise that everyone seems to want a newcomer for. Given Tropical Freeze's re-release on the Switch, I think it's fair to say that I expect her. (Certainty High)

Funky Kong: Hear me out. Every game has had clones, and I don't expect that to change with Smash Switch. Given Funky Kong's newest appearance as one of Tropical Freeze's five playable characters, he might just be in the perfect scenario to be considered for the last-minute clone treatment. I could see him being a less grab-oriented DK with better aerial movement and silly Luigi-esque hitboxes. (Certainty Low)

Sheriff: Each game since Melee has included one throwback "retro" character (Ice Climbers, Pit, Little Mac) and one character that highlights something about Nintendo's history (Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt). If this pattern continues, Sheriff is a perfectly reasonable option, being Nintendo's first original video game character (and the first of Miyamoto's characters), and an ideal representative for Nintendo's arcade and toy history. If he were to make it in, I imagine he would look more like the cabinet artwork. As a character, I imagine him being an amalgam of Old Western tropes, representing the genre as a whole, alongside references to Nintendo's light gun toys and games (Kôsenjû), like the Jumping Bottle, the Custom Gunman and Custom Lion, Electro Poker, and Electro Roulette. While I'm relatively certain that we're getting a historical character, I have no idea if Sheriff will be the one chosen or if they'll go with something else, like Daitoryo, who I've rallied for in the past. (Certainty Low)

Takamaru: Ever since his appearance as an assist trophy, we've been keeping an eye on Takamaru for this next game. Given that his game was released overseas (finally), and given that Hideki Kamiya has acknowledged that he would be interested in working with the Murasame Castle franchise, I could see Sakurai picking him. That said, he's not the only contender for a retro spot, and we're not guaranteed a retro in the first place. (Certainty Moderate)

Sylux: The Metroid series is seeing a significant amount of attention, and Sylux is the villain candidate who seems most probable given Sakurai's stance on Ridley. I fully expect Sylux to play a significant role in Metroid Prime 4, and it seems to be the perfect chance for the character. That said, he hasn't had a huge role yet, and it could be a bit too early for him. Further, a Metroid character, while a popular choice, is not a guarantee, and there's always the possibility of Sakurai coming back to Ridley again. (Certainty Moderate)

Bandana Dee: The Kirby series has done very well recently, and Bandana Dee has been very consistently appeared as the fourth playable character or in support roles. And remember, the Kirby series has had a main series release every year since 2014. He has very little going against him. If he's not in, it's because the Kirby series isn't getting a newcomer for some reason. (Certainty High)

Decidueye: Admittedly something of a placeholder, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this very popular starter in the next Smash. A flying grass-type archer, it has plenty of moveset potential, and it's been the poster boy of this gen. That said, it has a lot of competition from within its own series, and it could be passed over in favor of a newer Pokemon. (Certainty Moderate)

Isabelle: A very, very popular character from a well-selling franchise...however, I'm not sure if Sakurai considers her a proper fighter. I could see her being another clone, a semi-clone, or an entirely unique character. Regardless, I think a new Animal Crossing character makes a lot of sense, even if it's a choice I'm less confident in. (Certainty Moderately Low)

Alph: An off-the-wall pick from me, but I could very easily see Sakurai revisiting the idea of making Alph a clone who uses shield-breaking Rock Pikmin. And, again, clones don't take much development time, and I expect us to have a couple. (Certainty Low)

Elma: A unique, popular character from one of Nintendo's newest series, I could definitely see Elma making it into the next Smash Bros. Her game is likely to receive both a sequel and a port in due time (XCX ended on a cliffhanger), and her game was one of the best received on the Wii U. That said, she faces the distinct possibility of being shafted in favor of Rex. (Certainty Moderate)

Inkling: Duh.

*Bomberman: Definitely the third party I'm least certain of on my prediction roster, but he's still undeniably iconic, popular, and requested. Given that he had a launch title on the Switch, I can see him happening. (Certainty Low)

*Rayman: While I'm not certain on him by any means, I think it goes without saying that Ubisoft has been very close to Nintendo. He's probably the most likely new third party, if you ask me. (Certainty Moderately Low)

*Steve: I've stated my case for him before; he's iconic, his game is the second best selling of all time, he's had a release on the past three Nintendo consoles, and Nintendo is willing enough to talk with Microsoft historically to let the Super Mario Mash-Up Pack happen. I think he's a slept on third-party, and I don't think I'm crazy to predict him. That being said, the character has a notable hate-base, and Minecraft isn't quite the titan it used to be. (Certainty Moderately Low)

*I'm hesitant to say who the next third party characters will be, and I expect to be wrong. My guess on how many we'll see is three, but I could be wrong on that as well.

Ice Climbers: I mean, the only reason they weren't in Sm4sh to begin with was the 3DS. (Certainty: Highest)

Wolf: Very popular, a veteran, and easy to bring back. (Certainty: High)

DLC:

Spring Man: I know, I know, let me explain why I have him as DLC. There was no way for Sakurai to know ahead of time that ARMS, or even the Switch for that matter, would be such a success. I think he has seen the demand for an ARMS character, and I think it will happen in time, but I'm leaning towards seeing him as the Mewtwo of this Smash, the first DLC character released. That said, I could be wrong, and I could see him making the base roster as well.

Rex: Same reasons as above. Rex is an extremely recent character for Sakurai's time frame. It makes sense to include him as DLC and not in the base roster.

Sora: Heresy, I know. Sora would be a bombshell of an announcement, and I genuinely think he did really, really well on the ballot. The biggest obstacle is Disney, and I feel like they'd be more willing to accept the proposition of having Sora in Smash if they get a cut of the DLC, which is why I predict him. Of course, he's not a character I'm super confident in, but I think he has a better chance than many think. That said, third parties are a toss up for me, and I acknowledge how easily I could be wrong.

Pokemon and Fire Emblem: The games aren't out yet, but a Corrin-esque scenario for these two franchises makes perfect sense to me. I'm not going to speculate about any newcomers in particular, though.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Behold the Smash Bros "Chopped Liver" line-up, characters that counter popular arguments but get ignored constantly

"No Puzzle game characters have been playable yet" :4drmario:
"Only Japanese characters can be in Smash" :4diddy:
"Characters that only appeared in one game of a big series have no chance" :4sheik:
"[X] is too peaceful for Smash" :4villager:,:4wiifit:,:4zelda:,:4peach:
"This character has no Japanese fanbase and is thus impossible" :4littlemac:
"Their game gives them nothing to work with for a moveset" :4falcon:
"Would be a clone and clones don't happen anymore" :4darkpit::4lucina:
"[pre-DLC] Only characters strongly associated with Nintendo can get in" :snake:

Any I missed?

D

Deleted member

Yeah honestly, if you are referencing the anime in the first place Kawasaki was probably one of the more important side characters, while Bugzy only showed up a few times, usually not even close to his in-game appearances (he uses swords, lmao what)

I'd honest to god be completely fine if Kawasaki was in smash. However, he better have his anime voice lmao
He literally can't have it, unless you mean the replacement voice from the Kirby 3D special.

The one who did his voice for the anime passed away a while back.
You have good taste :) Kiryu is definitely my favorite version of MechaG.
Yeah, Kiryu is the best of the MechaG's. But that's because I'm biased over the fact it isn't just a robot designed to look like Godzilla, it actually is a robot Godzilla.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Well ok I will debate Sheik: that's circumstantial due to her being part of Zelda's move set (Zelda's selling point in Melee was that she could interchange move sets) but I agree that it doesn't matter.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Newcomers: Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong (clone), Sheriff/Mr. Jack, Takamaru, Sylux, Bandana Dee, Decidueye, Isabelle, Alph (clone), Elma, Inkling, Bomberman, Rayman, Steve (13 plus 2 clones)

Captain Toad: A fairly popular and extremely recognizable character who has appeared in all of the last three mainline Mario games. Not only that, he's the star of his own game now, which is set to appear on not one, but three Nintendo consoles. He is the newcomer I'm most confident in predicting. (Certainty High)

Dixie Kong: A popular character from a popular franchise that everyone seems to want a newcomer for. Given Tropical Freeze's re-release on the Switch, I think it's fair to say that I expect her. (Certainty High)

Funky Kong: Hear me out. Every game has had clones, and I don't expect that to change with Smash Switch. Given Funky Kong's newest appearance as one of Tropical Freeze's five playable characters, he might just be in the perfect scenario to be considered for the last-minute clone treatment. I could see him being a less grab-oriented DK with better aerial movement and silly Luigi-esque hitboxes. (Certainty Low)

Sheriff: Each game since Melee has included one throwback "retro" character (Ice Climbers, Pit, Little Mac) and one character that highlights something about Nintendo's history (Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt). If this pattern continues, Sheriff is a perfectly reasonable option, being Nintendo's first original video game character (and the first of Miyamoto's characters), and an ideal representative for Nintendo's arcade and toy history. If he were to make it in, I imagine he would look more like the cabinet artwork. As a character, I imagine him being an amalgam of Old Western tropes, representing the genre as a whole, alongside references to Nintendo's light gun toys and games (Kôsenjû), like the Jumping Bottle, the Custom Gunman and Custom Lion, Electro Poker, and Electro Roulette. While I'm relatively certain that we're getting a historical character, I have no idea if Sheriff will be the one chosen or if they'll go with something else, like Daitoryo, who I've rallied for in the past. (Certainty Low)

Takamaru: Ever since his appearance as an assist trophy, we've been keeping an eye on Takamaru for this next game. Given that his game was released overseas (finally), and given that Hideki Kamiya has acknowledged that he would be interested in working with the Murasame Castle franchise, I could see Sakurai picking him. That said, he's not the only contender for a retro spot, and we're not guaranteed a retro in the first place. (Certainty Moderate)

Sylux: The Metroid series is seeing a significant amount of attention, and Sylux is the villain candidate who seems most probable given Sakurai's stance on Ridley. I fully expect Sylux to play a significant role in Metroid Prime 4, and it seems to be the perfect chance for the character. That said, he hasn't had a huge role yet, and it could be a bit too early for him. Further, a Metroid character, while a popular choice, is not a guarantee, and there's always the possibility of Sakurai coming back to Ridley again. (Certainty Moderate)

Bandana Dee: The Kirby series has done very well recently, and Bandana Dee has been very consistently appeared as the fourth playable character or in support roles. And remember, the Kirby series has had a main series release every year since 2014. He has very little going against him. If he's not in, it's because the Kirby series isn't getting a newcomer for some reason. (Certainty High)

Decidueye: Admittedly something of a placeholder, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this very popular starter in the next Smash. A flying grass-type archer, it has plenty of moveset potential, and it's been the poster boy of this gen. That said, it has a lot of competition from within its own series, and it could be passed over in favor of a newer Pokemon. (Certainty Moderate)

Isabelle: A very, very popular character from a well-selling franchise...however, I'm not sure if Sakurai considers her a proper fighter. I could see her being another clone, a semi-clone, or an entirely unique character. Regardless, I think a new Animal Crossing character makes a lot of sense, even if it's a choice I'm less confident in. (Certainty Moderately Low)

Alph: An off-the-wall pick from me, but I could very easily see Sakurai revisiting the idea of making Alph a clone who uses shield-breaking Rock Pikmin. And, again, clones don't take much development time, and I expect us to have a couple. (Certainty Low)

Elma: A unique, popular character from one of Nintendo's newest series, I could definitely see Elma making it into the next Smash Bros. Her game is likely to receive both a sequel and a port in due time (XCX ended on a cliffhanger), and her game was one of the best received on the Wii U. That said, she faces the distinct possibility of being shafted in favor of Rex instead of being added alongside him. However, I'm leaning towards both of them being included, especially since Elma arguably represents an entirely different series from Shulk and Rex. (Certainty Moderate)

*Bomberman: Definitely the third party I'm least certain of on my prediction roster, but he's still undeniably iconic, popular, and requested. Given that he had a launch title on the Switch, I can see him happening. (Certainty Low)

*Rayman: While I'm not certain on him by any means, I think it goes without saying that Ubisoft has been very close to Nintendo. He's probably the most likely new third party, if you ask me. (Certainty Moderately Low)

*Steve: I've stated my case for him before; he's iconic, his game is the second best selling of all time, he's had a release on the past three Nintendo consoles, and Nintendo is willing enough to talk with Microsoft historically to let the Super Mario Mash-Up Pack happen. I think he's a slept on third-party, and I don't think I'm crazy to predict him. That being said, the character has a notable hate-base, and Minecraft isn't quite the titan it used to be. (Certainty Moderately Low)

*I'm hesitant to say who the next third party characters will be, and I expect to be wrong. My guess on how many we'll see is three, but I could be wrong on that as well.

Ice Climbers: I mean, the only reason they weren't in Sm4sh to begin with was the 3DS. (Certainty: Highest)

DLC:

Spring Man: I know, I know, let me explain why I have him as DLC. There was no way for Sakurai to know ahead of time that ARMS, or even the Switch for that matter, would be such a success. I think he has seen the demand for an ARMS character, and I think it will happen in time, but I'm leaning towards seeing him as the Mewtwo of this Smash, the first DLC character released. That said, I could be wrong, and I could see him making the base roster as well.

Rex: Same reasons as above. Rex is an extremely recent character for Sakurai's time frame. It makes sense to include him as DLC and not in the base roster.

Sora: Heresy, I know. Sora would be a bombshell of an announcement, and I genuinely think he did really, really well on the ballot. The biggest obstacle is Disney, and I feel like they'd be more willing to accept the proposition of having Sora in Smash if they get a cut of the DLC, which is why I predict him. Of course, he's not a character I'm super confident in, but I think he has a better chance than many think. That said, third parties are a toss up for me, and I acknowledge how easily I could be wrong.

Pokemon and Fire Emblem: The games aren't out yet, but a Corrin-esque scenario for these two franchises makes perfect sense to me. I'm not going to speculate about any newcomers in particular, though.
I like this roster! I'm not going to comment on the clones, though I do think they make sense. I don't know how likely I see Sylux, Sheriff, or Bomberman, but they're not totally wild predictions.

I will say that I feel like Crash and/or Banjo will be coming to this game in one form or another. Overall you have a really solid roster!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not to mention her music elements. Setting traps with her boom boxes, machine gun string to stun enemies, etc. Always considered making her a movelist...

Either way it's totally a monkey's paw pipe dream of mine, haha. I'd have liked to hope she could have at least made it in MvC since she actually did pretty well in UMvC3's official character polls (She was top 20 for Capcom and second only to X and EXE in terms of Megaman reps surprisingly), but that was also years ago and Infinite seems pretty much dead now so :V
Really? I knew Mega Man X and Mega Man EXE were REALLY popular for those polls, but I didn't know Harp Note was that high. I do remember Classic Mega Man and Sigma doing pretty well though.

Honestly, just give me Nintendo vs Capcom. I think Capcom's roster of characters is the only one that rivals Nintendo's.

God the disconfirmations are going to suck. Most people are looking for positives because of hype but the negatives will come.

And without PotDs it's going to be EXTREMELY concentrated. At least with those you could get "oh darn waluigi is out" and be done with it. Since more info comes and it's only one cahracter at a tie.

Now we might have suddenly 30 characters disconfirmed at the same time and only in big toxic waves. Lord save us if we have to wait for the game to be released (RIP moderators). Dealing with people laughing at people at their lowest (speculation) point is going to suck. e get it. Schadenfreude. No need to rub it in other people's faces
:060:
Yeah, that's gonna suck since some people like rubbing it in people's faces. Which is just kind of ****ty.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Elma: A unique, popular character from one of Nintendo's newest series, I could definitely see Elma making it into the next Smash Bros. Her game is likely to receive both a sequel and a port in due time (XCX ended on a cliffhanger), and her game was one of the best received on the Wii U. That said, she faces the distinct possibility of being shafted in favor of Rex instead of being added alongside him. However, I'm leaning towards both of them being included, especially since Elma arguably represents an entirely different series from Shulk and Rex. (Certainty Moderate)

DLC:

Very realistic I’d say, though I’d personally add Ashley as a Wario character.

D

Deleted member

DLC:

As a prediction roster, I think it's decent. Some choices I don't necessarily agree with (like Bomberman getting in without Snake, or Sylux being on the base roster), but I've admittedly been wrong about things before.

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13

DLC:

Hmm... I don't see Ridley on there... 10/10 dislike.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
IMy apologize in advanced for my bad spelling.

Im not going to say I thought pf this first, for lack of knowing whether or not they have... But why doesn't Nintendo use ideas from popular Smash bros fangames.

Hear me out. Everyone is worried about clones, alts, and differentials of characters. In Smash bros crusade, they use a very intuitive tool tO change between character types. They use a little arrow box instead, directly over the CSP. For example, ticking this button can change Link into their link, Twilight princess link, and toon link. But they are all one character slot. same with 4 renditions of Ryu, 2 little mac, FRICKEN WEEGEE over Luigi!

The movesets and costumes then change accordingly.

Nintendo does NOT need permission to use these ideas, anyway. Theres reasons they could that wpuld be beneficial.
IMO, Crusade's implementation of different character styles is a genius game design choice.

Just having this for Marth made me actually want to try him out and experiment with the different ways his styles play.
I assume Sakurai doesn't do this is because some characters would be hidden from sight, and people could mistakenly think a character they want to play as isn't there. For instance, Toon Link and Pichu are both playable, but you wouldn't know from looking at the roster because they're hidden behind Link and Pikachu.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

DLC:

This is surprisingly solid. The only things I strongly disagree with are the third parties, with the exception of Bomberman.

Funky Kong is actually listed on my roster as he and Dixie can be made from the models/source material of DK & Diddy. Funky is probably the most unique option available. He's got personality along with a surfboard and a bazooka.

Sheriff is an interesting idea for a final unlockable as he is the oldest character in the game as well as the first Nintendo character.

I don't see Sylux or Waddle Dee as likely additions, but I could see Sylux happening as a late addition like Wolf as a result of his requests and role in the next game.

I also put Takamaru in the same spot on mine as kind of a spiritual Zelda newcomer.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

DLC:

Even if Funky Kong would be an easy clone, I don’t see Sakurai putting him in over K. Rool. He knows how popular he is. He made a totally new design for his Mii costume, inspired by his retro appearance instead of his modern one seen in his trophy. That specifically shows that he’s aware that people love good old classic K. Rool.

I also think there will be a Zelda newcomer.

I don’t see why there would be both Sheriff and Takamaru as retro characters. I’d go with just Takamaru. Really not sure if Sheriff could be a full character. His simplistic assist trophy shows that.

I don’t see three third party newcomers. I think Bomberman, Rayman, and Steve all have a chance, but I would just go with Rayman and Bomberman. Third parties aren’t that obvious this time around. They could include just Rayman, or maybe even nothing at all, but I doubt more than two.

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
is it really unlikely that xenoblade could get 2 more characters instead of one?

Spatman

Smash Ace
People want to see characters that look like them, there’s no downside to it.
Smash has the excuse that it’s most Japanese characters who have been historically light skinned, and they’ve been doing better the past couple years with race options in splatoon and characters like Twintelle and Elma.
Excuse me, so I immedesimate in a little monkey who shots peanuts and banana peels?

This argument never pleased me, overall when we're talking of cartoonish character (and just a part of them are humanoids)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
is it really unlikely that xenoblade could get 2 more characters instead of one?
It might be possible, but it seems like it would depend on when Xenoblade 2 and Smash started production, and whether or not the Smash development team thought that they could get an interesting moveset out of someone from Xenoblade X or 2.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord

DLC:

Uh, not sure why you want critique on your personal roster.. Everyone's gonna pick it apart solely due to personal preference.

For example:

- Where's Waluigi?
- Sheriff is already one of Duck Hunt's moves, isn't he?
- Imo, I think Dark Samus has a better chance of being in Smash than Sylux. She has a ton of moves that could be implemented super easily, and they'd all be pretty unique.

Those are just a few things I noticed right off the bat.. I could go on, but it's your wishlist, man. Everyone's got their own.

EDIT: I will say though, it's probably close to what we'll end up getting, maybe.. So there's that.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I personally think so, at least for the base game.

I don’t think Sakurai dedicated two spots of the base roster to newcomers from a pretty niche series. He either chose Elma from XCX which was out for a while when Sakurai chose the roster, or Rex to promote the then-upcoming XC2.

However, if he chose Elma for the base game,
I think Rex will definitley be DLC due to the immense success that XC2 had, as well as the fact that Sakurai adores the game.

There’s also the option that there is no Xenoblade newcomer in the base game. In that scenario, I still think Rex will be DLC for the reasons I said.

I’m personally predicting Rex for base game, but also wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Elma. The only thing that will surprise me is that if, at the end of all the DLC, Rex isn’t playable.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It should also be noted that Funky & Dixie have the benefit in appearing in more Mario spin off games than other Donkey Kong characters have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom