• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Guys, let me ask you all

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release
Character you've played the most
Character you're confident the most with so far
Character you picked up you never thought you would
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet

Here's me

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release:ultwolf:
Character you've played the most :ultwolf:
Character you're confident the most with so far :ultwolf:
Character you picked up you never thought you would :ultyounglink:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold :ultpokemontrainer:
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet N/A
Character I wanted to play the most with pre-release :ultinkling:
Character I’ve played the most :ultincineroar:
Character I’m the most confident with :ultpokemontrainer:

Character I picked up you never thought you would :ultzelda:
Character I intended to play but put on hold :ultdaisy:

Veteran I’ve used before but am not clicking with :ultshulk:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I'm gonna be real. I think everyone is sleeping on Sans. He's really popular in Japan, Undertale was a HUGE indie game, and two other huge indie characters are an AT (Shovel Knight) and Spirit (Shantae), he's suspiciously not a Ness echo in base, and Undertale is on the Switch with exclusive content.

Also, come on, Undertale music in Smash would be dope.
Give me Megalovania, Ghost Fight, and Spider Dance remixes.
Im still going to campaign for Asriel God of Hyperdeath. Would love Sans though. Or mostly anyone from the game. haha

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
oh it's time

I know, right? It drove me CRAZY to not have that song, I even wondered if there was some copyright bull preventing it from beingin Smash Ultimate or if I just hadnt unlocked it.

You get it by beating Snake's classic mode on 5.0 or higher and not continuing.

This song, Smiles and Tears, and Engage the Enemy were priorities for me, and I'm only missing Engage the Enemy now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I have like 14 challenges left, have all characters, have played classic as several different characters, need fewer than 10 songs, and have 100%’d World of Light.

I also laid waste to all of my friends last weekend when we played on launch night. What have I done?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold :ultpokemontrainer:
Character you wanted to play the most pre-release?:ultridley:
Character you've played the most?:ultridley:
Character you're confident the most with so far?:ultridley:(and :ultmewtwo: since it was my Smash 4 main. Still getting used to a few of the changes like the D-Tilt nerf but ‘Two still feels better than ever)
Character you picked up you never thought you would?:ultpikachu:(I am dabbling in my secondary 64 main quite a bit. It brings back nostalgia which is always nice)
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold?:ultisabelle:(I really love her as a character overall but the moveset just doesn’t fit me. I may try her again later on though.)
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet? N/A

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'm gonna be real. I think everyone is sleeping on Sans. He's really popular in Japan, Undertale was a HUGE indie game, and two other huge indie characters are an AT (Shovel Knight) and Spirit (Shantae), he's suspiciously not a Ness echo in base, and Undertale is on the Switch with exclusive content.

Also, come on, Undertale music in Smash would be dope.
Give me Megalovania, Ghost Fight, and Spider Dance remixes.
The issue with Sans is that he's more of an Assist Trophy/Boss/Stage Hazard type of character rather than an outright Fighter. Ignoring "muh Undertale spoilers", Frisk/Chara just makes way more sense if we're going with an Undertale rep. They don't have to be "boring" either, since they've got flirting as a literal gameplay mechanic. You can go the Comically Serious route with them whenever they throw kisses like projectiles, or portray them making genuine reactions while they're neutral in their idle stance.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Guys, let me ask you all

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release :ultincineroar:

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release :ultincineroar:

Character you've played the most :ultincineroar:

Character you're confident the most with so far :ultincineroar: (also :ultike: cause he's been my main since forever)

Character you picked up you never thought you would :ultisabelle: It's hard NOT to spam DownB and SideB together....

Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold :ultrichter: I'm trying with him, but his playstyle hasn't meshed well with me yet. I'm way more a "in your face" type of fighter.

Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet :ultsnake: his attacks are slower than I remembered, but I'm willing to try

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
World of Dark is nothing more than a complex trivia game and I feel smart for guessing and cheating for the right answers

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
It is done. I've assembled all 1297 Spirits, 100%'d World of Light, completed Classic and Century Smash with all characters, have all songs and all costumes, and have completed all Challenges, save for six that I didn't have enough Hammers for in Online.

My two biggest dissapointments-

1) The Milestones feel really slim compared to Smash 4. And no funny notifications like 'Show Me Your Moves!' or 'Your body is ready!'

2) Nary a single Captain N reference. C'mon, you've got Pit, Mega Man, and Simon all together again, but between every single Spirit battle in the game, every Challenge portrait, and each of their Classic end cards, we don't even get a shot of the three of them together. What gives?

All in all, I do have to say that Spirits and World of Light made for some spectacular single-player content, and Classic Mode was better than ever. Century Smash is still *** (I hate the Fighting Mii Team and I have since 4, it's too hard to distinguish them apart when there's so many and they're all randomized), but it's nowhere bad enough to be a negative mark against the game (I just wish they were the Fighting Alloys instead, or an Assist Trophy squad like a lot of people were predicting). Most frustrating Challenge to complete was killing a Lv 9 CPU with Robin's flurry attack.

And now that I've wrapped up basically any and all chances to obliterate CPUs with PK Freeze, I have no choice but to actually start learning characters other than Lucas again. Bowser Jr. feels somehow worse than Smash 4 but I still love him, and RIdley is strange to grasp but I like him. Simon/Richter and K. Rool are also pretty fun from the time I had with them in Classic. In a game with 76 (and counting!) characters, I'd be shocked if I didn't end up with at least 20 I thoroughly enjoy.

Kinda late on this topic, but Joker's reveal pretty much blows away everything we expected with 'Nintendo picking the DLC characters', and a lot of 'insider information' regarding what was surely known about the VGAs and/or the DLC characters. I think Nintendo is going to do a damn good job of picking characters that would just be awesome to have cross over, regardless if how much the fanbase may want them. Persona didn't even have that big of a push for Smash, but I've seen nearly universal love for Joker making it in. I'm doubtful for any first party DLC characters, and double doubtful of any Spirits (let alone Assists) being upgraded to characters.

Overall very pleased with the game's single-player content and extremely eager for the Plant, as well as more news on Joker, and whomst'd've else may be DLC.

Small aside, I've already been wondering what Joker's Classic Route may be, probably something along the lines of characters who have 'Personas', like Zelda calling on Phantoms, Rosalina with Luma, Duck Hunt with Gunmen, Peach/Daisy with Toad, Popo with Nana, and Olimar with Pikmin. (I only recently realized Joker is the closest I'll get to Jojo in Smash so now I'm DOUBLE excited for him)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release: :ultridley:
Character you've played the most: :ultridley:
Character you're confident the most with so far: :ultridley: , or :ultrichter:/:ultsimon: since I relied on the latter a good amount in WoL and Richter has become one of my go-tos ever since I unlocked him.
Character you picked up you never thought you would: :ultisabelle: Her traps are pretty helpful for some of the more troublesome Spirit battles and after getting used to her she stuck around.
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold: :ultdarksamus:, it's nothing about the character, but compared to the others I've been using she's not clicking with me as much so she's been sidelined lately.
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet: :ultbowserjr: He's gotten a few changes that I haven't gotten used to yet.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
If SK and Shantae weren’t part of the roster, I don’t see why Sans or an Undertale character would be any different.

I thought the AT and Spirits being there at all proved that Western independent developers negotiating with full-time mainstream Japanese developers to make their original characters full-fledged playable characters of a massively produced AAA title would be a huge and expensive order.

Having any sort of content no matter how small would be an absolute honor to the teams.

Not saying they’re bad picks but people seriously overestimate the chances of an Indie character being in Smash Bros regardless of their popularity or impact.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey, I just saw something labeled "Ultimate Minecraft".

:troll:
25D053B1-5752-45E7-8D66-29E3BB089BF5.jpeg
:troll:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
3 villagers, 3 pokemon
Character you wanted to play the most pre-release:ultvillager:
Character you've played the most:ultvillager:
Character you're confident the most with so far:ultvillager:
Character you picked up you never thought you would:ultpichu:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold:ultincineroar:
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet:ultpikachu:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Guys, let me ask you all

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release: :ultyoshi: "HE
Character you've played the most: :ultyoshi: DEVOURED
Character you're confident the most with so far: :ultyoshi: MY SOUL!!!"
Character you picked up you never thought you would: :ultzelda: And I have no idea why...
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold: :ultrichter: I think it speaks for itself...
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet: :ultmegaman:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It still baffles me how most of us completely looked past Simon Belmont until the leak. In hindsight he seems like a painfully obvious addition, but I don't recall anyone expecting him before Vergeban.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm not being ironic when I say I want an Undertale character. Do I expect it? Hell no, not in a million years. But good god would that be something.

Could you imagine the reactions?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Character you wanted to play the most pre-release: :ultyoshi: "HE
Character you've played the most: :ultyoshi: DEVOURED
Character you're confident the most with so far: :ultyoshi: MY SOUL!!!"
Character you picked up you never thought you would: :ultzelda: And I have no idea why...
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold: :ultrichter: I think it speaks for itself...
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet: :ultmegaman:
I mean, yeah, :ultsimon: is just superior, and I'll stand on this hill. Not to say :ultrichter: is bad overall or anything.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Character I wanted to play the most pre release:ultridley:

Character I've played the most :ultridley:

Character I'm most confident with :ultkrool:

Character I never expected I'd pick up :ultchrom:

Character I intended to play but dropped :ultdarksamus:

Veteran from a previous game I haven't clicked with yet :ultshulk:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm not being ironic when I say I want an Undertale character. Do I expect it? Hell no, not in a million years. But good god would that be something.

At this point, I could totally see Sans getting in as a realistic possibility. And even though he isn't the main character of the game, this is yet another rule that Sakurai could break by including him over Frisk since Sans is so much more popular and recognizable.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So I have like 14 challenges left, have all characters, have played classic as several different characters, need fewer than 10 songs, and have 100%’d World of Light.

I also laid waste to all of my friends last weekend when we played on launch night. What have I done?
Are there any music tracks rewarded for any of the online challenges?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
The issue with Sans is that he's more of an Assist Trophy/Boss/Stage Hazard type of character rather than an outright Fighter. Ignoring "muh Undertale spoilers", Frisk/Chara just makes way more sense if we're going with an Undertale rep. They don't have to be "boring" either, since they've got flirting as a literal gameplay mechanic. You can go the Comically Serious route with them whenever they throw kisses like projectiles, or portray them making genuine reactions while they're neutral in their idle stance.
I agree with your points about Sans and Frisk/Chara but Sans is iconic. He is the character and if Undertale got a rep it’d be him. Or else he’d be a boss like Rathalos and there’d be no playabale character like MH

Iridium

Smash Hero
At this point, I could totally see Sans getting in as a realistic possibility. And even though he isn't the main character of the game, this is yet another rule that Sakurai could break by including him over Frisk since Sans is so much more popular and recognizable.
Honestly, I feel like if he got in, there is no way the celebration isn't going to drown out the hate (fake or not). But I still don't know a lot on Undertale myself...

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Honestly, I feel like if he got in, there is no way the celebration isn't going to drown out the hate (fake or not). But I still don't know a lot on Undertale myself...
It’s a very fun indie game that unfortunately gets a lot of hate because of a toxic fan base. But if you just look at the game itself, it has amazing writing and characters, really fun mechanics, and just an engaging core gimmick.

Would recommend.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
It’s a very fun indie game that unfortunately gets a lot of hate because of a toxic fan base. But if you just look at the game itself, it has amazing writing and characters, really fun mechanics, and just an engaging core gimmick.

Would recommend.
Oh, I meant more specific stuff, like the actual gameplay, game mechanics and such. Otherwise, I've aware of its treatment.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this and there is probably a lot of legal mumbo jumbo for this but thinking about it. If Sakurai wants to make Smash more about gaming as a whole rather than keeping it within the scope of Nintendo. Why not make Smash multiplat at that point? I mean, you're adding characters that appeal more to audiences outside of Nintendo, why not give them easier access to the series then?

Its like opening up a vegetarian restaurant in an area where most people prefer to eat vegetarian food and running that for a number of years and then suddenly have a lot of meat food that you want to sell as well. Why not branch out at that point? (Not sure if that's a good analogy but hopefully you get the idea...)

I personally don't mind third parties with little to no history with Nintendo, but I think I would still like for them to not go too overboard with them. At least not yet, ease things in just slowly for now, like they did with Sonic and Snake back in Brawl when third party inclusions first became a thing.
Thinking Smash Bros should be multiplat is actually a really bad opinion.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

The internet would go ablaze harder than Undyne's house did, but I like Undetale and I can care less about what the Hatedom thinks.
Undyne's house.jpg

Chrono.

So what characters were you guys really looking forward to try out but felt a bit disappointed with how they actually played?

For me right now it's definitely Wolf. He feels a bit neutered in areas and reliable kill setups with him feel like they're hanging on by a thread.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
I just played this game for the first time, why is it so laggy ? The first matches I was like "ok this game is just unplayable".
Even with the usual of these new controls, the controls of smash 4 always miss me.

What about you ?

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I just played this game for the first time, why is it so laggy ? The first matches I was like "ok this game is just unplayable".
Even with the usual of these new controls, the controls of smash 4 always miss me.

What about you ?
I've actually had really minimal lag since the new patch

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Guys, let me ask you all

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release:ultpokemontrainer:
- Squirtle no doubt was the most hype for me. Followed closely by :ultkrool::ultridley:

Character you've played the most :ultlink:
- There’s only one character who could get me to drop my main...but see below...

Character you're confident the most with so far :ultyounglink:
- Oh man is old Link good...

- I normally only like the originals, but YL just feels so right. Also :ultkrool: is a beast

Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold N/A
- There are just so many here, I’m actually maining the random button for most matches. Still, while I was never gonna main them, :ultgnw:‘s new aerials and :ultincineroar:‘s being a combination of old Ganon’s speed and Mac/Ike’s recovery is really tough for me.

Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet :ultlink:
- Yeah, I never realized how much I relied on his bombs. I need to get much better with this, but the Hero of Time is showing him up quite a bit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Undertale stuff made it in, we'd get Undertale music. And that game has a skeleton of good music.

That alone makes it a good thing.

D

Deleted member

Got into Elite Battles with K. Rool, woot. Time to see how garbage I truly am.
Oh yeah Sans would be okay I guess, can't see it happening though

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
anyone in the mood to play a match or two and witness me try and flail around as inkling

edit: nevermind i'm not in the mood anymore
i'll see you guys sometime. goodbye

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom