• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Personally would've been happy with Jack Frost or Yu Narukami as the Atlus rep. But nevertheless, I'm happy with Joker's inclusion and I thought the orchestra performance at the VGAs was awesome!

Shroob

Sup?
The thing that sucks is Joker is most likely super early in development.

We know for a fact that As far back as September that Piranha Plant was the only DLC character available to be playtested and was still being worked on, and considering we haven't seen anything of Joker except for his trailer, so no render, stock icon, nothing, I think it's going to be a bit until he comes.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
By the way Joker's a thief, so what if the person he stole his invite from is the next character and they show up pissed as hell with a new invitation for their announcement trailer.
Actually this is a perfect way to introduce Phoenix Wright. Just a loud OBJECTION! flying out as Joker's battling and Phoenix is just like ''***** you stole my invite."

D

Deleted member

By the way Joker's a thief, so what if the person he stole his invite from is the next character and they show up pissed as hell with a new invitation for their announcement trailer.
This is what I was thinking. I'm glad they're runnign with the "character gets a Smash invintation" theme so I hope they play with it. And with animated trailers? This is gonna be even more hype than last time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The thing that sucks is Joker is most likely super early in development.

We know for a fact that As far back as September that Piranha Plant was the only DLC character available to be playtested and was still being worked on, and considering we haven't seen anything of Joker except for his trailer, so no render, stock icon, nothing, I think it's going to be a bit until he comes.
At least he has a Mii costume-

-wait, wrong game.

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
NO ONE EVEN PREDICTED THAT HE WOULD JOIN SMASH. I DONT EVEN KNOW JOKER BUT I KNOW THE GAME HEAARD OF IT. CAN'T BELEIVE HE PUT HIM IN!!! WHAT DID U GUYS LEARN??? SAKURAI WILL ADD CHARACTER YOU WOULD NEVER EXPECT

osby

Smash Obsessed
NO ONE EVEN PREDICTED THAT HE WOULD JOIN SMASH. I DONT EVEN KNOW JOKER BUT I KNOW THE GAME HEAARD OF IT. CAN'T BELEIVE HE PUT HIM IN!!! WHAT DID U GUYS LEARN??? SAKURAI WILL ADD CHARACTER YOU WOULD NEVER EXPECT
Well, we know that since, *checks* 1999.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Well, after that announcement, I think I’m more confident in Phoenix Wright’s chances for DLC. If we can get that bombshell, then we can get anything.

I should prob get Persona 5 for Christmas, huh?

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Haha. This kinda opens things up, huh? I giess someone like Master Chief really CAN get in now

D

Deleted member

Hey, hey Atlus, look at me.
Release Persona 5 on the Switch, *****

D

Deleted member

Ah right, I wanted to mention this early but the official trailer posted on the website cuts the TGA mention.
Just something I found funny but it makes sense they'd cut it.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations to all of the Joker/Persona fans! Never played any of the games, but I’m happy for all of you!

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Christ, I don't know what I expected but I've read some unhappy comments

> "WhY aNoThEr AnImE cHaRaCtEr?!"
> "nEvEr BeEn On NiNtEnDo, DoEsN't DeSeRvE bEiNg In"

yikes

Shroob

Sup?
Christ, I don't know what I expected but I've read some unhappy comments

> "WhY aNoThEr AnImE cHaRaCtEr?!"
> "nEvEr BeEn On NiNtEnDo, DoEsN't DeSeRvE bEiNg In"

yikes
The fact that that second one still exists in ****ing 2018...

"Nintendo's All-Stars" ended at Melee, people. Now it's "Nintendo+Gaming All-Stars"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Had an interesting day yesterday, didn't we?

Joker wasn't a character I wanted, but in a way, he was. We got a character nobody saw coming, and now people will have another reason to be skeptical of Verge and other insiders. Speculation will be a little more up in the air now, and that's something I'm excited about.

Although, I hope people won't take this as Nintendo choosing strictly third-parties.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Uhm, yes, of course. Why is this a question?

But he's not a bigger name than Ryu.

Vets are a separate thing and work differently though.
Ryu was supposed to show what the newcomers were truly capable of and Cloud and Bayo built off of that. Corrin was sandwiched between those last two to try to lower the impact.
Not really..Cloud is more well known then Ryu is..Cloud is only Cloud, but anyone in a gi could be confused for Ryu by a casual observation, such as Akira from Virtua Fighter (there's a reason Akira uses his alternate costume in Project x Zone..)

Also, which series went on a long hiatus? Street Fighter or Final Fantasy?
I'm just saying guys, don't exepct anyone to blow Joker away in terms of (metaphorical) size.
Cloud was a bigger reveal to the Smash community because of how much he was a Playstation icon rather than a Nintendo one. It was his then believed-to-be impossibility.
But in the grand scheme of things? Ryu is the bigger name. The gap between them may not be so big but one is the face of fighting games and the other of RPGs and guess which one of these genres is more niche?
Fighting Games, definitely. Its easier for someone to get into an RPG then a Fighting Game, much lower skill ceiling.
I love both genres, but RPGs are becoming much more popular then Fighting Games..like, lets look at some of the past few critically acclaimed or very hyped up games and see if we can see a pattern.. NieR Automata, Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, The Witcher series, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Dark Souls series, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Diablo III...these are all RPGs.
There have only been a handful of critically acclaimed Fighting Games in recent memory, like SkullGirls, Injustice series, Mortal Kombat series, BlazBlue series..sadly Street Fighter V didn't take off for years and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite flopped..
Pokemon isn't even seen as an RPG by many in the general public. It's certainly something that eases players into them but it's an odd case because you still don't see RPGs being as well-known in mass media.
Fighting games have the advantage of being multiplayer by nature, and the number of licensed fighters allow them to be even more well known.

You can try it with a google search to see who pops up the easiest, Ryu or Cloud.
Really? That's news to me, pretty much everyone knows that Pokémon is an RPG..including the General Public..it would be hard not to see that game as an RPG, its pretty standard fair mechanic-wise, its not even an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts or a Shooter/RPG hybrid like Mass Effect or Fallout 4,,

I'll do you one better, I googled 'Famous Video Game Characters' and Ryu doesn't even appear on the dropdown list (which did surprise me)..you know who does? Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith, the only fighting game characters that appeared on it were Sub-Zero and, for some reason, SoulCalibur's Cervantes.

Honestly, I'd wager Chun-Li, Cammy, or Zangeif are more well-known by design and name then Ryu is..as cool as Ryu is, his design is generic Karate Man, even Ken's design is more distinct.

D

Deleted member

YO I WAKE UP AND I LOOK AT THE SMASH REDDIT AND ****ING JOKER IS IN SMASH HOLY HELL THATS SO ****ING COOL

never actually played p5 but watched a lets play and it llooks SICK

osby

Smash Obsessed

"Nintendo's All-Stars" ended at Melee, people. Now it's "Nintendo+Gaming All-Stars"
I think we past the all-stars thing after Ice Climbers and Roy.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Lol yeah...reminds me that some time ago I was arguing with someone here about Sora being possible and he kept saying things like 'Sora lives in Sonyville' and that Cloud was okay being because of Final Fantasy's strong presence on Nintendo consoles before...and now we have Joker, where the only Persona presence on Nintendo systems has been Persona Q, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, and soon Persona Q2, which will be Joker's Nintendo debut.

D

Deleted member

Joker in Smash is dope.

Marvel Ultimte Alliance 3 isn’t and shouldn’t be a thing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay but what if
>No Last Surprise
Will people take this worse than they did the FF music?
"Take it"? At this point, I'll just turn off the music and listen it from YouTube with headphones while playing the game.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Everyone: *is excited about Joker*
@JDCabrera:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was a ****ing mistake and disgrace.
Dude, the game just got announced. Chill out for a bit before despairing that the Fantastic 4 aren’t there. Wasn’t Doctor Doom in the trailer? I’d say that bodes well for them.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
When I get a spare 30 bucks I'm buying Persona 5 from Amazon since it's that cheap.

The character does interest me, despite having never seen gameplay or played Persona.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ugh, there are so many people I want to respond to and I wanted to make something but I got sidetracked @_@;;

For those of you who spoke to me not too long ago regarding a possible ATLUS rep, hey! Congratulations btw! Not a meaty enough response though. There will be more of that to come later (in the afternoon).

I'll get to it though... eventually...

But onto more important matters... [clears throat]

@faygoshill As a man of my word, I will change my profile picture to Morag with full support of her. The profile picture in question may be pushing the boundaries as stated in the original post, so long as it's SFW.

Phoenix Wright smirk.png

EDIT: If the message isn't clear, you get to choose the icon. DM it as to not ruin the "surprise".

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
DevaAshera DevaAshera

Gonna keep it real with you here, fam. Street Fighter is a pretty popular gaming franchise (ffs it jumpstarted fighting games as a genre and invented the combo) and Ryu has kind of always been the face of it. There aren't many people that don't know who, what, and where Ryu came from. Cloud cannot make that same claim to fame, only that he's been a face of modern JRPGs like Final Fantasy.

Also, what are you guys doing speculating? Play Ultimate. It's out now.

Smooth Criminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom