• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Alright. Time for the obligatory "why I think my character has a chance to be in as DLC" post.

I'll keep this relatively short and simple:

- Xenoblade Chronicles X is only represented through Spirits. No music, no stages, no characters (3 things the Fighters Pass promises to bring).
- Rex's current situation is very... weird. I still consider it as a deconfirmation. You may think otherwise. The fact he singled out Rex is still interesting to note.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has... a lot of representation compared to X. More spirits, more music, Mii costumes... it seems really weird that a game from the end of 2017 is getting more attention than the game that was most relevant when the roster was finalized (December 2015).
- That really only leaves KOS-MOS as a potential Xeno rep, but she is a 3rd party character. So... take that as you will.

Simply put: If we're getting a Xeno rep, it's most likely going to Elma.
Now whether or not you think we're getting a 2nd Xeno rep is up to you.
But this is my case... put simply.
This is why I said I respect y'all

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Alright. Time for the obligatory "why I think my character has a chance to be in as DLC" post.

I'll keep this relatively short and simple:

- Xenoblade Chronicles X is only represented through Spirits. No music, no stages, no characters (3 things the Fighters Pass promises to bring).
- Rex's current situation is very... weird. I still consider it as a deconfirmation. You may think otherwise. The fact he singled out Rex is still interesting to note.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has... a lot of representation compared to X. More spirits, more music, Mii costumes... it seems really weird that a game from the end of 2017 is getting more attention than the game that was most relevant when the roster was finalized (December 2015).
- That really only leaves KOS-MOS as a potential Xeno rep, but she is a 3rd party character. So... take that as you will.

Simply put: If we're getting a Xeno rep, it's most likely going to Elma.
Now whether or not you think we're getting a 2nd Xeno rep is up to you.
But this is my case... put simply.
I would be hyped for her, but my gripes with this is the "Spirits deconfirm characters" theory. I haven't seen anything disproving it to this day.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Y'know, if The Grinch leak had Incineroar in it, it would have been almost untouchable.

Obviously it still would have been fake, but back in the Grinch Leak days a lot of Insiders said it wasn't true. Incineroar's absence especially made them doubt.
They all knew that he was in, so this leak not having him confused them. If he was in that leak from the start they would have had a harder time denying it.
At least I think they would've.

Why would you omit a new Pokemon, the most obvious character inclusion in any Smash game, from your leak? Especially if you wanted people to believe it?

It's really funny.
I would say the lack of Incineroar made people believe it more. There was a whole lot of "If this was fake it would definitely have Incineroar to make it seem more credible". And because it goes against Verge and other leakers, it makes their denial of it seems like they were just trying to save faces after being leak baited.

Dan

Smash Lord
Has anyone played online yet? Does that count toward unlocking characters? iirc it did in Sm4sh, so it would be odd if they changed it.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I would be hyped for her, but my gripes with this is the "Spirits deconfirm characters" theory. I haven't seen anything disproving it to this day.
Yeah... the "Spirits deconfirm characters" theory, is really the main thing holding her (and a lot of the 1st party candidates) back. Hopefully we'll get some confirmation sometime soon on whether or not it's true.

I personally don't subscribe to it (never have), but I can see why some people are inclined to believe it.

Last edited:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Considering the fact that Mewtwo was a trophy in Smash 4 before he got in as DLC, and the fact that trophies take up more time than putting pngs into the game, it's really hard for me to agree with the "spirits deconfirm characters" theory.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Is Incineroar that disliked?
He isn't the most requested character to say the least. It is more of the salt from other deconfirmed characters (like Isaac, RIP Golden BOI) that is at play, not exactly Incineroar. Even Plant wouldn't be hated too much if we had more than just Kencineroar.

LetterO

Smash Lord
At this point I just feel like Tibby and Marshall were just not included as Spirits because they were forgotten. I don't know why a RH character who was scrapped for Smash 4 would be saved for DLC in the next game. There's also the fact that RH already has songs and they sure as hell aren't listed under a series emblem. I don't know why Sakurai gave up and decided to leave this series in the dust, but I guess that's just how it is.

Of course, I'm still gonna have hope for a character, but It's just seeming really bleak right now.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Considering the fact that Mewtwo was a trophy in Smash 4 before he got in as DLC, and the fact that trophies take up more time than putting pngs into the game, it's really hard for me to agree with the "spirits deconfirm characters" theory.
To be fair, spirits do have stats that need to be programmed...

D

Deleted member

All I want is for SOME Atlus character to make it in so there's at least a slim chance of Etrian Odyssey music getting in too.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Incineroar was the obvious choice. Incineroar was predicted and known about faaaar before reveal. Incineroar isn't a classic, been requested for years, fan favorite pick. Incineroar means no Isaac, Rayman, Banjo, Bandanna Dee etc. because of leaks. Incineroar meant box leak/Kencineroar.

It's not that Incineroar is disliked, a stigma was simply generated around him. A stupid one in my opinion especially considering his personality has been very well implemented, but a stigma based on him getting in means other stuff won't. Grinch leak only escalated that.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
So... Do y'all think we'll get a character trailer tomorrow? OwwwO
All evidence of it is circumstantial really. Might happen might not.

I'm more indifferent to Incineroar kind of like I am to Isabelle. I don't dislike them, I just don't particularly care about them.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Basically Incineroar did his job as the heel better than anticipated.
Every time he poses or makes a weird noise I giggle like a 5 year old girl, I can't handle him he's too funny.

I can't make myself dislike him. Besides, I want to pull of some stupid Cross Chop spike shenanigans, because it can literally kill at 0% if done right.
Cross Chop looks busted.

If only it functioned well as an actual recovery...

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Wait Bayonetta has made it a habit not to just do vocal battle themes but use actual songs in the first level. First one had Fly Me To The Moon, second one had Moon River and is this one going to get a Gaga song? I vote Bad Romance even if it doesn't fit Bayo's character
Well, Gaga DID release Cheek-to-Cheek so they could do both!
Okay, okay, so I know we've probably moved on from the Bayonetta 3 song speculation, but I just recalled the perfect choice: Blueberry Hill.
Just like the others it's been sung by some of the most iconic jazz vocalists in history, is pretty much exclusively and unambiguously about love and has that same light and soft tone. It's pretty much perfect.

D

Deleted member

Shame this incineroar talk happened so late at night, but for me I understand why people like him and can’t deny that he has a lot of personality, but I’m just eh on him. I don’t like how he looks and he’s just kinda there for me.

Y’know though, I think I would like him way more if he wasn’t a cat. I don’t know why, but for the longest time I have just hated cats for absolutely no reason. It’s just like I get instinctively angry whenever I see one. It confuses me.
(and now I’m actually going to sleep)

Iridium

Smash Hero
Every time he poses or makes a weird noise I giggle like a 5 year old girl, I can't handle him he's too funny.

Cross Chop looks busted.

If only it functioned well as an actual recovery...
Well, being able to save a jump and airdodges saves it a bit, but he pretty much puts himself in danger by recovering low. Recovering high is probably going to be the best thing for us to do, if possible in the given situation.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I used to get offended on a deep, spiritual level when people said they didn't like Incineroar, now? I don't even care.

He's in, and people the world over are gonna see just why I like him. I can play him from now until the end of time. That's all that matters now.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
About tomorrow, if there is a new character, I see 4 possibilites:

1) Metroid Prime 4 will be unveiled at the event, given how Western gamers love Metroid and the appeal it garnered lately with the absence of a console Metroid game in years. Thus, considering we will have Sylux as a possible main antagonist, this might be a good time to announce him as the first DLC character. I find this very likely to happen.
2) The Geno thread has spread the word that Lloyd Irving may be a character as DLC, according to sources that still need confirmation. While Tales may be a more Japanese styled game, a possible announcement of a new game in the same vein as Monster Hunter World did with its more Western appeal, this may occur.
3) S-E Rep. Square-Enix is going to have a considerable presence there.
4) Monster Hunter World will likely win the best RPG of the year and is competing for GOTY. Given the leaks of Ultimate's files, we know that MH is a special series in the game, as it is strangely labeled as if it has a fighter in the game. A Monster Hunter character, most likely Felyne, might be the reveal for the event, and I think it makes a ton of sense for that to happen.

Mewtwo was decided as DLC at the last second with Roy and Lucas. Ultimate's case is different bc the DLC planning and contracts have been settled by the time Sakurai made that tweet. Remember that Spirits are more integral to the gameplay of certain modes and have their own class system. A spirit with a name of a character without anything indicating it's a variant of it and isn't a Fighter Spirit, to me, seems like it's a deconfirm. If the game had contracts and planning settled before the game launched, it wouldn't make sense for Spirits in Day 1 being labelled the way they are only to be changed later. Sakurai is a man known to pay attention to detail and is very deliberate in everything he does. This isn't a thing he would leave there as if he forgot it, specially considering DLC is the main focus of the development team now.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
For some people, including myself, yes we do dislike Incineroar quite a bit.

For me, its design never interested me; it looked another Fire/Fighting starter (which I'm honestly shocker it isn't).
When I heard that it was in the running for the Gen 7 rep, I was not happy.
Even to this day, I still don't like Incineroar.
The only thing I will give it is that it's Smash moveset gives it a lot of personality... which I do like.
But I preferred a lot of other Pokemon (either Gen 7 or not) to be in Smash over Incineroar.

Dannish

Smash Apprentice

Y’know though, I think I would like him way more if he wasn’t a cat. I don’t know why, but for the longest time I have just hated cats for absolutely no reason. It’s just like I get instinctively angry whenever I see one. It confuses me.
(and now I’m actually going to sleep)
Heresy!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Frankly Incineroar became a symbol of the Box Theory which upset a lot of people and he kind became a symbol of something that had nothing to do with the character itself kind of like Bayonetta became a symbol for the problems with Smash 4 which also had nothing to do Bayonetta's character itself rather how the context of her inclusion ended up turning out at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom