• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Remember when Sakurai said he didn't want more than 3 third party characters because he didn't want each of the 4 max players to be able to select a different 3rd party character? Well now theres 6 3rd parties but 8 player Smash. Does this mean the man 3rd parties we will get this time is <=7?
I don't remember that because it's a false quote.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I decided to set up a small collage of potential newcomer characters that I'll probably use on my signature, after Waluigi leaves my account...

SmashSwitch8.png

1. Toad
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  4. Buzzwole
  5. Rex & Pyra
  6. Spring Man
  7. Rayman
  8. Crash Bandicoot
And for those who are curious, I did edit Pyra's artwork to be less revealing. Of course, it's only the legs and torso that are covered; I saw no reason to censor the arms.

PyraCensor.png

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I wonder if dark pit would have received as much hate if he has a completely original moveset. The only Nintendo character with an original moveset I see getting hate is Corrin, and I’m not sure why on that one.
I think it's because as a character, Corrin isn't noteworthy really. The moveset is the best thing about her, everything else kinda stinks. Not that interesting of a character tbh, a lot of other characters have more personality.

Also notice how I said "her"? That was literally me subconsciously typing that, I guess even my brain doesn't acknowledge MCorrin

But hey guys, Remember Hector? Hector is cool!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I want you guys to respond to this certain scenario:

1. Rayman gets in Smash Switch's base roster, gets a playstyle of utilizing his limbless body for long range melee fighting.
2. ARMS character is too late in the development cycle to make a unique newcomer out of.
3. So, to compromise, they make Spring Man as a last-minute semi-clone of Rayman.

Is this situation a possible scenario, similar to the situation of Ganondorf and Captain Falcon last-minute clone situation in Melee, whose franchises have nothing to do with each other?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh goodness, don’t even start the, “Pyra is too sexual” topic again. That is so overblown it’s not even funny.

There’s a Kid Icarus trophy with similar lack of clothing, and Zero Suit Samus herself has a costume in Wii U/3DS that bares just about as much skin. They aren’t going to completely change the design of the character like some propose.

They’ll make her shorts cover up a bit more, but expect to see some skin.

Swimsuit Shulk is also in-game, and he practically shows off more than Pyra does.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

1. Rayman gets in Smash Switch's base roster, gets a playstyle of utilizing his limbless body for long range melee fighting.
2. ARMS character is too late in the development cycle to make a unique newcomer out of.
3. So, to compromise, they make Spring Man as a last-minute semi-clone of Rayman.

Is this situation a possible scenario, similar to the situation of Ganondorf and Captain Falcon last-minute clone situation in Melee, whose franchises have nothing to do with each other?
Considering that Ganondorf is literally the only clone that isn't from the franchise the non-clone if from, I think that anything similar to that situation might not happen again.

Morbi

Scavenger

I suppose it depends on how fun Rayman is. I would not mind too much and Springman is the only character that I "want" this go around. That being said, if Rayman was lame, I would almost prefer just waiting for DLC to be honest.

Considering that Ganondorf is literally the only clone that isn't from the franchise the non-clone if from, I think that anything similar to that situation might not happen again.
Precedent is precedent.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm so thirsty for more Kirby DLC.

I wonder if April will have any Nintendo news. I assume Pokemon stuff is coming sometime this spring.

If there is indeed a new DKC I would love another try at the 64 format without all of the banana nonsense also

Replace Chunky with Rool or just make him more interesting but make Rool the main villain again.

I am not a fan of either of the new guys, Fedrick is okay but he doesn't have any personality as far as I know

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Yeah Sakurai, very cute, now where is Bandana Dee?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Thinking out loud but after seeing what Sonic Mania was all about I intend on getting the physical release.

But here I am excited about Mighty and Ray being the game but that got me thinking. "Why do I hate Shadow?"

I think the reason is, is unlike Meta Knight or Wario he's played too straight and edgy to the point of things not making sense.

He's not secretly just a cute little baby thing like Meta Knight, or goofy yet admirably manly like Wario. He's just dark and edgy in a game full of cartoon animals that eat junk food and collect jewelry.

He doesn't eat chili dogs he isn't dumb, nothing. He shoots human people with real guns and rides motorbikes despite him being able to spindash and skate at high speeds.

I wish they would just reboot the modern series trash the whole thing for the classic series.

I know it won't happen due to fan outcry but man the classic series looks great.

And no I'm not one of those "Hate Sonic's green eyes" sort of dudes but man I grew up on Sonic 3D blast and other than a few choice games (Adventure because of the Chao garden and most of Colors/Generations) that, the worst of the bunch is better than most of the 3D stuff we get now.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Thinking out loud but after seeing what Sonic Mania was all about I intend on getting the physical release.

But here I am excited about Might and Ray being the game but that got me thinking. "Why do I hate Shadow?"

I think the reason is, is unlike Meta Knight or Wario he's played too straight and edgy to the point of things not making sense.

He's not secretly just a cute little baby thing like Meta Knight, or goofy yet admirably manly like Wario. He's just dark and edgy in a game full of cartoon animals that eat junk food and collect jewelry.

He doesn't eat chili dogs he isn't dumb, nothing. He shoots people with real guns and rides motorbikes despite him being able to spindash and skate at high speeds.

I wish they would just reboot the modern series trash the whole thing for the classic series.

I know it won't happen due to fan outcry but man the classic series looks great.
That is actually the very reason I appreciate Shadow. If it were more subverted, he would lose that edge that could cut your soul and what would be the point in that? For a black and red version of Sonic? No. His personality needs to match his color scheme, fam. I am glad he uses real guns and motorbikes because... Well, who else on the Sonic roster can claim that unless we are counting Coldsteel the Edgehog? He does it for the style, not because he wants to go fast. He does not mind taking life slow which is why his assist trophy slows time (canon fact). Beyond that, I will tell you right here, right now that a gun beats spin-dashing. Okay? I am a little concerned that you believe spin-dash is a suitable replacement for an actual firearm. Not going to lie.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Here's some stuff that was planned, but went unused in Smash 4 that could happen in Smash 2018.

Playable Characters
  • Ice Climbers
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Alph
Stages

• Dr. Mario
  • Brain Age

Luminario

Smash Lord
Maybe I should clarify...first of all, i’m by no means saying you can’t support Daisy. If she is your most wanted, go ahead and support her.

However, when I say “moveset” I don’t just mean the aesthetic of it. How does the moveset function? Do flowers just follow her like when she dives in Mario Tennis? If so, that doesn’t tell me anything about how she plays in-game. If she’s a grappler, a trap-setter, a combo setter, or something else then that’s different. But I haven’t seen that yet. I’m, frankly, turned off by the idea because I’ve heard the same stuff with Daisy since pre-Brawl.

I need more than that to be convinced she’s a good idea. Believe me, i’m an incredibly open minded person. I’m a teacher after all, I am shown different points of view daily, and I learn something new everyday. Well, at least that’s what good teachers do.:troll:

Having played many games with Daisy in them, and wanting something more out of characters rather than them simply being a “rep” (I HATE the concept of “reps” by the way, just the connotation of it). Don’t give me a representative of a subset of game, give me something interesting that a character can do, that no other characters can do better than the one you’re suggesting.

That’s my inherent problem with Daisy. Anytime I see her brought up, it’s like “She’s another Mario character”. Toad is a pretty iconic/important Mario character in his own right? Toad also isn’t in Smash, but Rosalina and Bowser Jr., two characters with something no other character can do, are in the game and are pretty fun.
I don't know if it'll change your mind, but I do have a Daisy moveset idea.
So in quite a few games now Daisy has had special moves that create a flower field that restricts opponents movements, so that could potentially translate into Smash as either Daisy setting down a flower field to slow walk and running speed, or setting down a flower bud that acts as a stun trap, stunning any enemies that stand on it or in range of the spores it shoots out as it opens. Alongside this Daisy could have a simple ball throwing projectile special, as reference to both the superball from Super Mario Land and the plethora of sports games she's starred in, and she could change the angle of the shot similar to Dedede's Gordo Toss. Couple both these ideas together and you get a character who restricts movement while tacking on damage at range.

For a side special, Daisy could bring out a baseball bat and hold it until B is let go, giving her a reflector, and for a recovery she could use any number of spin-off related elements such as the Flower Glider from Mario Kart or a Strikers Charged Crystal Smash rise-and-fall attack, though my personal choice would be a petal tornado that whisks Daisy upwards with a hitbox similar to Megaman's upair.

For normal attacks, Daisy can share multiple moves and elements with Peach, altered slightly to fit Daisy's personality. Examples being: taking inspiration from Peach's fair for Daisy's Fsmash where she uses her crown like brass knuckles to punch forward, using Peach's Melee up tilt headbutt and up air kick, or using Peach's dash attack only to trip over her dress and fall flat on her face. Peach and Daisy are similar, but I don't think that should be viewed as a detractor when it allows Daisy to be built off of Peach's assets.

So there we go~ I know quite a bit of it isn't exactly unique to Daisy, but I'd say it does suit her.

Pakky

Smash Hero
That is actually the very reason I appreciate Shadow. If it were more subverted, he would lose that edge that could cut your soul and what would be the point in that? For a black and red version of Sonic? No. His personality needs to match his color scheme, fam. I am glad he uses real guns and motorbikes because... Well, who else on the Sonic roster can claim that unless we are counting Coldsteel the Edgehog? He does it for the style, not because he wants to go fast. He does not mind taking life slow which is why his assist trophy slows time (canon fact). Beyond that, I will tell you right here, right now that a gun beats spin-dashing. Okay? I am a little concerned that you believe spin-dash is a suitable replacement for an actual firearm. Not going to lie.
I get you and you're right. I just think its a bit silly to use real firearms when one possesses a body that can plow through metal with ease. Or shoot ki blasts (sometimes?). All of this is subjective mind you but I just find him to be more of meme than a character.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Here's achallenge.

Take each third party series represented in Smash and think of a new stage for each of them.
Metal Gear Solid: Mother Base from The Phantom Pain.
Sonic the Hedgehog: Radical Highway, Studiopolis Zone.
Mega Man: Mega Man X's opening stage - Central Highway, was it? Abel City?
Pac-Man: Anything that isn't that MS Paint mess.
Street Fighter: Shadaloo Base (Thailand), Oceania - Volcanic Rim, Air Force Base (Guile's Stage)
Final Fantasy: Planet's Core from FFVII, Ultimecia's Castle from FFVIII or the Highwind airship.
Bayonetta: The town at the base of Mt. Fimbulventr from Bayonetta 2, maybe Paradiso for a broader area.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids and Alph should all be playable in Smash Switch.
Is there a definitive source for Chorus Kids themselves being the specific character planned? Because if not, I'm pretty sure it would be the Tap Trial Girl.

EDIT: I checked. There was never anything suggesting it was The Chorus Men.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I find most "dark counterparts" that are simply a bad attitude and a trip to Hot Topic away from the protagonist, if not creatively bankrupt, overly cliche.

Imo that well has been run ****ing dry.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids and Alph should all be playable in Smash Switch.
I certainly hope not. :urg:

Alph genuinely works better as a costume, same as any of the clones, given how little they changed. We would sacrifice, what? Pills, a non-tipper blade, and Zelda's Final Smash? Oh no!

Chorus Kids... Ugh. I have no idea why people want them. Any other Rhythm Heaven character would be fine. But why them? I am just imagining an Ice Climbers trio without the hammer and ice.

Ice Climbers should have been on Smash for Wii U. So, at least we can agree on one thing.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I find most "dark counterparts" that are simply a bad attitude and a trip to Hot Topic away from the protagonist, if not creatively bankrupt, overly cliche.

Dark and edgy counterparts are pretty popular, which is why they are a recurring trope.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

That's why I like Wario he's multilayered, he can be goofy like in Wario Ware or manly and goal focused like in the Wario Land games.

Honestly, I always thought Knuckles was a better counterpart to Sonic than Shadow.

Then again that kid over there needs something to put on his DA account, you know the one.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Dark and edgy counterparts are pretty popular, which is why they are a recurring trope.
There are honestly not that many edgelord characters, so people such as myself take what we can get, even if they are just counterparts. Reaper from Overwatch is probably my favorite because, well, ha ha ha... That edge!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

But here I am excited about Mighty and Ray being the game but that got me thinking. "Why do I hate Shadow?"

He doesn't eat chili dogs he isn't dumb, nothing. He shoots human people with real guns and rides motorbikes despite him being able to spindash and skate at high speeds.

And no I'm not one of those "Hate Sonic's green eyes" sort of dudes but man I grew up on Sonic 3D blast and other than a few choice games (Adventure because of the Chao garden and most of Colors/Generations) that, the worst of the bunch is better than most of the 3D stuff we get now.
I think it depends on if he can keep those attributes to himself over time while developing as a character - and after seeing his progression on the True Ending in Shadow The Hedgehog to how much he had matured in resolve and demeanor in Sonic 06 (for all it's notoriety) made me accept him warmly as he is.

I think this is also why I couldn't ever like :4darkpit: - because he was played too straight and couldn't really stand out well compared many more colorful characters in the game - and knowing how we got likes of Meta Knight, Wario and Shadow before, he just falls flat on his face to me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For sure, they're designed to take a popular character and make them "cooler".

It just causes me some degree of exasperation, since I find them lazily derivative. You can make a rival without resorting to the most basic of "dark version" tropes.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I think it depends on if he can keep those attributes to himself over time while developing as a character - and after seeing his progression on the True Ending in Shadow The Hedgehog to how much he had matured in resolve and demeanor in Sonic 06 (for all it's notoriety) made me accept him warmly as he is.

I think this is also why I couldn't ever like :4darkpit: - because he was played too straight and couldn't really stand out well compared many more colorful characters in the game - and knowing how we got likes of Meta Knight, Wario and Shadow before, he just falls flat on his face to me.

I think started:4darkpit: to turn around a little bit after becoming Viridi's officer but then that's a small dip in comparison to everyone else.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's why I like Wario he's multilayered, he can be goofy like in Wario Ware or manly and goal focused like in the Wario Land games.

Honestly, I always thought Knuckles was a better counterpart to Sonic than Shadow.

Then again that kid over there needs something to put on his DA account, you know the one.
I agree, they eschew the typical pitfalls and are more inspired counterparts to the protagonists.

Wario almost goes in the opposite direction, really. He's still got a worse disposition (though not the standard stoic/brooding/cynical variety) but they took Mario and gave him an uglier, brighter colour scheme, and made him fat and grotesque. That's like the opposite of "cool", but it worked.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Shadow was more than just an dark and edgy character in his debut appearance in Sonic Adventure 2 since he was also a pretty tragic character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom