• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Crash N. Sane Trilogy remade 3 games, not just one unlike your suggestion. Having the first 3 DKC games remade like N. Sane would work even better.
I'm aware of that, just seems like a detail that does not necessarily need to be included for the idea. It's more the idea of remastered DKC that I'm interested in. Whether its one or all 3, would remastered DKC be of interest to anyone?

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think what Zelda needs isn't her strengths enhanced but at least one of her many crippling downsides pulled back. To wit

• Very Tall
  • Very light
  • Very slow
  • awkward animations
  • heavy reliance on sweetspots
  • sourspots aren't even good for combos
  • Fixed trajectory recovery
  • Sole projectile puts her into helplessness because she wasn't helpless enough
Compare to Peach who
  • Is Shorter & heavier (I'll attribute it to the petticoats)
  • Has Multiple recovery options
  • Has Sweet spots on few attacks
  • Who's Sourspots aren't terrible
  • Runs faster
Any I missed?
I don't think it works that well to compare Zelda and Peach. They're both magical princesses but the way they play is completely different.
Zelda's moveset comes across as a defensive projectile character: using a long range projectile to rack up % and force approaches, long range teleport for catching out people who don't wanna approach and to re-position, an intangible reflector to get opponents off you, a pushing wall to keep opponents further from you so that you can pepper them with more Din's Fires, and a thousand different kill moves to deal with the high % opponents. Obviously, none of this works well together with the **** balancing they tried with her, besides Nayru's Love I guess. Zelda's fine being slow, that's a drawback I will 100% accept as long as they at least attempt competent balancing and give her good utility on her specials.
Of course this is assuming she retains her moveset. If she changes then the only request I have is that she keeps her magical motif throughout her moves. She's one of the few actual pure spellcasters in Smash, and I'd hate to see that go for yet another brawler/sword character.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So, if we're using Mii Costume as an Argument for K.Rool, does it mean a Tales of Protagonist have a chance thanks to Llyod Irving costume? Or that Geno who was as popular than K.Rool now during the Brawl days will make it? Or that Chrom won't get memed and appears?

Also...Anyone can remind me the list of Characters Mii costume that went on around the time the ballot was on?
https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Mii_Outfits

This should tell ya what you need to know.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I don't think it works that well to compare Zelda and Peach. They're both magical princesses but the way they play is completely different.
Zelda's moveset comes across as a defensive projectile character: using a long range projectile to rack up % and force approaches, long range teleport for catching out people who don't wanna approach and to re-position, an intangible reflector to get opponents off you, a pushing wall to keep opponents further from you so that you can pepper them with more Din's Fires, and a thousand different kill moves to deal with the high % opponents. Obviously, none of this works well together with the **** balancing they tried with her, besides Nayru's Love I guess. Zelda's fine being slow, that's a drawback I will 100% accept as long as they at least attempt competent balancing and give her good utility on her specials.
Of course this is assuming she retains her moveset. If she changes then the only request I have is that she keeps her magical motif throughout her moves. She's one of the few actual pure spellcasters in Smash, and I'd hate to see that go for yet another brawler/sword character.
As much as I don't like a lot of Zelda's specials (namely Din's Fire), I think her normals are the things that really need reworked. Her normal moveset is all low-consistency kill moves with microscopic sweetspots and a lot of lag. They don't have to touch her specials for all I care, just make her normals more useful than landing the occasional lightning kick or up smash.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
As far as K. Rool goes, I'd say his chances are pretty high. Donkey Kong has't gotten the representation in Smash it has deserved in all honesty.

D

Deleted member

Also...Anyone can remind me the list of Characters Mii costume that went on around the time the ballot was on?
First Party

Ashley (WarioWare)
Black Knight (Fire Emblem)
Chrom (Fire Emblem)
Dunban (Xenoblade)
Inkling (Splatoon) - Already confirmed playable.
Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
K.K. Slider (Animal Crossing)
Majora's Mask (The Legend of Zelda)
Takamaru (Murasame Castle)
Toad (Super Mario)
Viridi (Kid Icarus)

Third Party

Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
Chocobo (Final Fantasy)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Gil (Tower of Druaga)
Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
Jacky Bryant (Virtua Fighter)
Knuckles (Sonic)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
MegaMan.EXE (Mega Man Battle Network)
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter (Rathalos Armor)
Proto Man (Mega Man)
Tails (Sonic)
X (Mega Man X)
Zero (Mega Man X)

And that's not counting ones based on characters that were already playable in Smash 4, such as Link and Samus.

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
nah i prefer a new to conclude the new trilogy, maybe retro can finally put K.rool as the main antagonist, but i dont think it will happen considering that we have 2 new donkey country games andhe hasnt appeared even as a cameo or past enemies for that matter.

Guys remember that sakurai need to ask permission to the original developers of these games first, retro hasnt pushed for the kremlings in their own games, actually the newest appearance of the kremlings is in smash run, not even their games, the same with golden sun, camelot prefers to put mario tennis that golden suns games, these things arent simple.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
As for K.Rool I think he can work as the heavy projectile trap character with a special blunderbuss.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
nah i prefer a new to conclude the new trilogy, maybe retro can finally put K.rool as the main antagonist, but i dont think it will happen considering that we have 2 new donkey country games andhe hasnt appeared even as a cameo or past enemies for that matter.

Guys remember that sakurai need to ask permission to the original developers of these games first, retro hasnt pushed for the kremlings in their own games, actually the newest appearance of the kremlings is in smash run, not even their games, the same with golden sun, camelot prefers to put mario tennis that golden suns games, these things arent simple.
K. Rool and the Kremlings are Nintendos property, which was evidenced by the Kremlings in Smash Run if you don't believe me. Sakurai doesn't really need to ask permission for them... Of course he probably consults some important Nintendo figure as to whether the character is worth adding or not, but at the end of the day, Sakurai has free reign over Nintendo properties.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

This is true. Sakurai can go to ask for K Rool and they insist he does Funky Kong instead or he goes to get Isaac and they push for mario tennis rep like Waluigi with a tennis moveset. I'm not saying this is a bad thing or one character > than another or that Sakurai doesn't have the final say but theres so much negotiating for characters in smash behind the scenes its important to think about this stuff. Sakurai has to work with the company to get the characters and if the company itself doesn't care much for the character... Well in those instances Sakurai has to really push for that character which might not happen.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Everyone who think that "Heavy trap character" is a good game design concept for K.Rool need to understand why in 95% of the case of trap characters in fighting games, most of them are frail/Glasscanon/little type.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

But K. Rool and Isaac are first party character. Would Sakurai really need to ask permission for characters like these?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But K. Rool and Isaac are first party character. Would Sakurai really need to ask permission for characters like these?
I'm Sure that AT LEAST out of respect, he would need to asks. Being first party or Not. It's still an immense honor to work with so many licence that I'm sure he at least asks to their creator/Department management.

Alonside perhaps some markerting purpose like Roy/Corrin

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
As far as DKC goes, I personally feel DKC 6 (or DKCR 3, I guess) will be announced this E3. Don't forget, DKCR 3D was released May of 2013, and TF was announced the following E3. TF Switch comes out this May as well.

But yeah, if this game were to come out, it wouldn't necessarily help K. Rool. Aside from releasing after Smash, it's very possible they ignore the Kremlings again. Regardless, K. Rool is definitely in the top tier of hopefuls from a popularity standpoint. Hopefully he makes it in, DKC could certainly use another character.

Also while we're at it add another DKC stage that isn't a jungle.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
K. Rool, definitely not, Isaac, I'm not sure how much say Camelot has.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I would love to see a Tropical Freeze stage based off of Autumn Heights.

A genuinely gorgeous environment that I was incredibly surprised to see in a modern Nintendo platformer (NSMB broke me with the same 7-8 areas in every single game.)

If we do get a DKCR 3 at E3, I really hope it involves K. Rool. I feel like K. Rool returning again and going all out would be the perfect finale to the DKCR trilogy.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
of course k.rool is a first party character but is he actually used by retro or nintendo??? that is the question. is not sakurai responsabilty that the character hasnt appeared in a nintendo game in the last years, even in their own games. retro need to actually push the character and not a lip service, like liking tweets about the character, the same with golden sun and other franchises.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I dug this up from one of Sakurai’s Weekly Famitsu Columns.

https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199

"There are a lot things to take into account when deciding [characters]." Sakurai wrote. "Does the character have something inherently unique about them? Can that be used to make Smash Bros. interesting? Is the character a representative character [for the source material]? Do they conflict at all with other characters? Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?"

"Basically, any character is accepted if I believe it works [in the game]. On the other hand, even if a character is unique, if they overlap with other characters and aren't unique as a fighter, they are rejected."
I was wondering about how some of the more requested fighters over here would fit this criteria of being picked. It must have helped someone like Rosalina get in because Sakurai saw potential in her and Luma to be an intergalactic fighter.

I wonder who would be an example of a rejected fighter.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I'd say K. Rool should change between king, kaptain and baron costumes with down B.

This changes his other specials to match the king, kaptain and baron motif.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
villager was one, remember things chance depending of the circumstances like time,budget,the console power, the relationship with first and third parties, and the devs selves, example i doubt ice climbers would be added if diddy and dixie were added as a duo before them, the inverse of course is true, hell less people are wanting for issac because even if he has unique moveset potential, visually he is another jrpg blonde swordman.

Troykv

Smash Master
I dug this up from one of Sakurai’s Weekly Famitsu Columns.

https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199

I was wondering about how some of the more requested fighters over here would fit this criteria of being picked. It must have helped someone like Rosalina get in because Sakurai saw potential in her and Luma to be an intergalactic fighter.

I wonder who would be an example of a rejected fighter.
Rejected for gameplay-values? Chrom.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
villager was one, remember things chance depending of the circumstances like time,budget,the console power, the relationship with first and third parties, and the devs selves, example i doubt ice climbers would be added if diddy and dixie were added as a duo before them, the inverse of course is true, hell less people are wanting for issac because even if he has unique moveset potential, visually he is another jrpg blonde swordman.
I think in the case of Isaac, it's less to do with perceived redundancy and more to do with the state of his franchise, especially since he hasn't had a new game in around 8 years and so people have given up on him.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
So, if we're using Mii Costume as an Argument for K.Rool, does it mean a Tales of Protagonist have a chance thanks to Llyod Irving costume? Or that Geno who was as popular than K.Rool now during the Brawl days will make it? Or that Chrom won't get memed and appears?
It’s worth mentioning that the K. Rool Mii costume was based on his classic Rare design, despite the fact that he already had an in-game trophy using the Paon redesign. When you look at some of the other characters who got one and had assets already in the game, usually the Mii costume reflected that.The fact that Sakurai chose to use the more popular, classic design could be taken as an indication that he recognized that the king does have a sizable fanbase, and put a little extra love in K. Rool’s costume.

It’s a little farfetched to me that it could be linked to K. Rool being more likely for this game, but it is fascinating.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
I think in the case of Isaac, it's less to do with perceived redundancy and more to do with the state of his franchise, especially since he hasn't had a new game in around 8 years and so people have given up on him.
Oh of course but you cant negate that some people have grown up a hateboner for anything resembling a blue or blonde swordman, this sentiment wasnt in the others smash, in fact i am curious what people would begin to hate in smash 5.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Oh of course but you cant negate that some people have grown up a hateboner for anything resembling a blue or blonde swordman, this sentiment wasnt in the others smash, in fact i am curious what people would begin to hate in smash 5.
If they bring something unique to the table, I'm sure people would embrace them. Isaac has interesting powers he could bring to the table. Shulk has unique mechanics. The FE characters are the only ones who suffer a bit, and even then, it's two clones that cause the stigma. If Roy and Lucina were gone, and four unique reps remained, I don't think people would care as much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think I have to mention how slow Zelda's neutral attack is, but just in case, it seriously needs much less start-up. In fact, I think a good portion of fighters need to have their neutral attack start-up lag adjusted so that the first hit never takes more than 5 frames to execute. I can probably put up a list, just to give others an idea on how quickly a neutral attack's first jab should probably hit for each fighter...

• :4mario:: 2
  • :4luigi:: 2
  • :4peach:: 2
  • :4bowser:: 5
  • :4yoshi:: 3
  • :rosalina:: 3
  • :4bowserjr:: 4
  • :4wario:: 4
  • :4dk:: 4
  • :4diddy:: 3
  • :4gaw:: 2
  • :4littlemac:: 1
  • :4link:: 4
  • :4zelda:: 3
  • :4sheik:: 2
  • :4ganondorf:: 5
  • :4tlink:: 3
  • :4samus:: 3
  • :4zss:: 1
  • :4pit:: 3
  • :4palutena:: 3
  • :4marth:: 3
  • :4myfriends:: 4
  • :4robinm:: 4
  • :4duckhunt:: 3
  • :4kirby:: 2
  • :4dedede:: 5
  • :4metaknight:: 5
  • :4fox:: 2
  • :4falco:: 2
  • :4pikachu:: 2
  • :4charizard:: 4
  • :4lucario:: 3
  • :4jigglypuff:: 3
  • :4greninja:: 3
  • :4rob:: 3
  • :4ness:: 2
  • :4falcon:: 3
  • :4villager:: 3
  • :4olimar:: 3
  • :4wiifit:: 2
  • :4shulk:: 4
  • :4drmario:: 2
  • :4darkpit:: 3
  • :4lucina:: 3
  • :4pacman:: 3
  • :4megaman:: 2
  • :4sonic:: 2
  • :4mewtwo:: 4
  • :4lucas:: 2
  • :4feroy:: 4
  • :4ryu:: 3
  • :4cloud:: 4
  • :4corrin:: 3
  • :4bayonetta:: 5
  • :4miibrawl:: 2
  • :4miisword:: 4
  • :4miigun:: 3
  • : 5
  • : 4
  • : 1
  • : 3

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
I don't think I have to mention how slow Zelda's neutral attack is, but just in case, it seriously needs much less start-up. In fact, I think a good portion of fighters need to have their neutral attack start-up lag adjusted so that the first hit never takes more than 5 frames to execute. I can probably put up a list, just to give others an idea on how quickly a neutral attack's first jab should probably hit for each fighter...

• :4mario:: 2
  • :4luigi:: 2
  • :4peach:: 2
  • :4bowser:: 5
  • :4yoshi:: 3
  • :rosalina:: 3
  • :4bowserjr:: 4
  • :4wario:: 4
  • :4dk:: 4
  • :4diddy:: 3
  • :4gaw:: 2
  • :4littlemac:: 1
  • :4link:: 4
  • :4zelda:: 3
  • :4sheik:: 2
  • :4ganondorf:: 5
  • :4tlink:: 3
  • :4samus:: 3
  • :4zss:: 1
  • :4pit:: 3
  • :4palutena:: 3
  • :4marth:: 3
  • :4myfriends:: 4
  • :4robinm:: 4
  • :4duckhunt:: 3
  • :4kirby:: 2
  • :4dedede:: 5
  • :4metaknight:: 5
  • :4fox:: 2
  • :4falco:: 2
  • :4pikachu:: 2
  • :4charizard:: 4
  • :4lucario:: 3
  • :4jigglypuff:: 3
  • :4greninja:: 3
  • :4rob:: 3
  • :4ness:: 2
  • :4falcon:: 3
  • :4villager:: 3
  • :4olimar:: 3
  • :4wiifit:: 2
  • :4shulk:: 4
  • :4drmario:: 2
  • :4darkpit:: 3
  • :4lucina:: 3
  • :4pacman:: 3
  • :4megaman:: 2
  • :4sonic:: 2
  • :4mewtwo:: 4
  • :4lucas:: 2
  • :4feroy:: 4
  • :4ryu:: 3
  • :4cloud:: 4
  • :4corrin:: 3
  • :4bayonetta:: 5
  • :4miibrawl:: 2
  • :4miisword:: 4
  • :4miigun:: 3
  • : 5
  • : 4
  • : 1
  • : 3
Zelda’s jab isn’t really a standard jab. It functions more like a tilt and has very little ending lag. Plus she has down tilt to help with the lack of a fast close-quarters jab.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Zelda’s jab isn’t really a standard jab. It functions more like a tilt and has very little ending lag. Plus she has down tilt to help with the lack of a fast close-quarters jab.
Still, a neutral attack that takes longer to execute than a grab doesn't really feel right. Mario can grab fighters on frame 6, which means he can easily grab Zelda before her neutral attack even comes close to activating its hitboxes. If Zelda's neutral attack were to hit before frame 6, however, then she could potentially interrupt Mario before his grab hitbox becomes active.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'll remember this.

Chrom got rejected, too

Also, I'd be pissed if Alph was made playable. Completely undeserving
Completely deserving if you ask me. Could be a Rock Pikmin user along with some other Pikmin 3 exclusive quirks if they wanted.

For example things like the lock on and sensing all of your Pikmin to attack at once.

Would be an easy clone that I don't see why anyone would have an issue with, and gives Pikmin an easy second character for playstyle variety.

You could even do the alt thing again and put Louie over Olimar and have Brittany over Alph. Going even further you could have the President over Olimar and Charlie over Alph aswell to give them both 12 costumes and represent every playable Pikmin character without the work of making entirely new clones.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
It's pretty obnoxious when I have to bring up something I ALREADY said in the very argument you are responding to.

You came up with literally four moves and they all suck. There's more to making a character than four special moves. Throwing your crown as a boomerang? Yeah, I'm aware he does that, but that's your proposal for a unique character?

There's like a million things I already addressed in the post you're responding to and you ignored ALL OF THEM. I can't believe you even bothered responding when it's like you didn't even read a single word. You just heard King K. Rool being talked about negatively pounced on your keyboard.

Do me a favor. Read the post or don't respond.
You said he brings nothing new to the table and I called you on the crap that he does. Hes a unique and popular boss from a popular series. Just as unique as any of the newcomers in any other Smash game. There are a ton of fan made movesets that go far more into detail, but the point is its so easy to make a moveset for a character like this. We don't have a Crocodile in Smash even, so his appearance is completely unique as well. What check marks is he missing other than personal bias and distaste for him? I've said before people think relevance has huge weight to getting selected...and to an extent they are right. But popularity is something that can't be glanced over. And popularity leads to relevance. Look at Little Mac. If K Rool were to appear in a new DKC game he'd fit the bill for even thing that makes a character a fighter in Smash Bros.

The only reason I'd see against him is that hes a UK character and not from Japan. However Diddy happened so theres a possibility Sakurai can put his bias aside.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Zelda's biggest flaw IMO is that all her aerial attacks require a great degree of precision or timing to get down. They're powerful sure but most character have one or two powerful aerials while the rest rack up damage or cover them. It's redundant to give her a high risk sweet spot attack on front and back when one of the simplest high level play moves is turning yourself backwards to get the back air attack on a foe in front.

I'm thinking the forward lighting kick should be replaced with a magical swipe or something but what does everyone else think?

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Zelda's biggest flaw IMO is that all her aerial attacks require a great degree of precision or timing to get down. They're powerful sure but most character have one or two powerful aerials while the rest rack up damage or cover them. It's redundant to give her a high risk sweet spot attack on front and back when one of the simplest high level play moves is turning yourself backwards to get the back air attack on a foe in front.

I'm thinking the forward lighting kick should be replaced with a magical swipe or something but what does everyone else think?
Yeah, it feels redundant to have every single aerial (except N-Air) being essencially "knees"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Zelda's biggest flaw IMO is that all her aerial attacks require a great degree of precision or timing to get down. They're powerful sure but most character have one or two powerful aerials while the rest rack up damage or cover them. It's redundant to give her a high risk sweet spot attack on front and back when one of the simplest high level play moves is turning yourself backwards to get the back air attack or a foe in front.

A larger sweetspot would probably be more helpful. Zelda has one of the most damaging f-airs and b-airs in the series, but having such tiny hitbox windows for them really hurts their overall viability.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A larger sweetspot would probably be more helpful. Zelda has one of the most damaging f-airs and b-airs in the series, but having such tiny hitbox windows for them really hurts their overall viability.
So F-Air with a larger one but weaker and B-air with a smaller and more powerful one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom