• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I am so ready for this speculation cycle to be over.
Aw, but we've made such good friends here!

What're we gonna do when the hype cycle's over? Play the game?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I try. I know I'm super biased towards the leak, but I know that there is a possibility it being super wrong and we missed something that could have given it away, even after the 7 days of scrutinizing it repeatedly.

I want it to be real for everyone. It may not be what everyone wants, but it is a huge deal for the smash community if these specific characters get in (rather several of them). It ends a lot of heated speculation the last 10 years, and along with K. Rool and Ridley, I'd love for it to finally end.
While I know I can't predict the Direct, I can very well predict my reaction:

If the leak is real: "**** YES!"
If the leak is fake: "**** YES!"

Because, at the end of the day, it's a 40-minute conglomeration of Smash hype. I want it to be real because I think it's the perfect roster. But I was already sold at E3. We're just quibbling over what type of icing we'll have.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
View attachment 173709
If 30 people can't be wrong, 420 people absolutely certainly can't be wrong.
(Sigh) Let's just run far away from this Flat Earth nonsense.

Remember, we've got our final pre-release direct for Smash coming in two days. Anything you'd be most excited for or most disappointed about?

D

Deleted member

*leak happens*
Smash fanbase: "ooooh"
Insiders: "yeah that doesn't make sense it's fake guys"
Smash fanbase: "man why do insiders have to be so arrogant and condescending :///"

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
I heavily doubt we'll get multi-character trailers like Brawl and Melee did. They were both game reveal trailers, after all.
Working off the assumption that this leak is indeed the real deal, I think it's either that or characters getting lower-budget and more lowkey trailers. Could certainly see that being the case for Mach Rider and Chorus Kids.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's a sweet artwork! As an Andy supporter it warms my heart when I see artists make fanart of him and support the series.

I never heard his name before in the context of Smash speculation. Did he make predictions that came true?
He's rather terrible at it in general, but did get a few successes. :ultridley::ultkrool::ultisabelle:

Though part of him doesn't look forward to drawing up 4 of the characters he didn't see coming.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
>New Smash Direct

Nice, I'll see what it was at-

>****ING 10 AM IN MY TIMEZONE (Yes, I am in New York and am at college)

Oh boy, gonna skip prealgebra for dat **** since I have two classes that day.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Does anybody else think that they might not reveal all the characters in the direct, but some of them in the treehouse afterwards? I mean I think that the Wii Fit Trainer was revealed not during the Nintendo Direct, but she was shown off on the show floor at E3.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I think they'll announce a season pass for dlc, and we'll get a lot more this to time. They may even tease a day 1 dlc character.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I'm from an era in gaming where DLC wasn't commonplace. Once you bought a game, you already had all of its content, and you never had to pay extra for any of it. That was nice, those were nice times. But apart from being fundamentally and ethically opposed to the concept of DLC itself, it's simply hard for me to get excited about having to pay, what, 10% of the game's market value for an extra character? That's how it was in Smash 4, at least.

Smash 4 had something like 54 characters. For a game of its price, you were getting a character for every $1.11 you were spending. That's only accounting for characters. The All-in-One Fighter Bundle, if you wanted the BEST value (the Wii U + 3DS package), runs you $41.93. That's almost 70% of the game's market value for a measly SEVEN extra characters.

You cannot argue that seven characters are worth 70% of Smash 4. The notion is ridiculous, and as a consumer, I found it gravely insulting.

To me, it's unacceptable, scummy to the core, and I was very sad that Smash 4 honestly went down that road. I don't want to see them do it again, especially when the game's tagline is "Everyone is here!" and when Sakurai stated that every character would be revealed before the game's release. If DLC characters were to be announced later, I would consider that to be a major disappointment. Two counts of false advertisement.

I'm aware that I'm saying something very controversial here, and I expect no one to agree. Times have changed. DLC is very much accepted now. I just find it severely lamentable that it's gotten to a point where people WANT to spend extra money on content they should arguably already have.

If the game must have DLC, I'd rather it be cosmetics. I still think cosmetic DLC is scummy and not worth paying for, but at least you can live without them. Missing characters from your roster, however? I mean, not having access to the complete roster in a fighting game is kind of a big deal. You can't argue that you have a complete game knowing your roster isn't even finished.

I know a lot of people will say "Sakurai worked so hard on this one, so the game is undervalued for how much content there is in it." That's a fair point, I guess, but for me, it's simply a matter of principle. Video games are MSRP'd at $59.99. Period, the end. Anything beyond that, in my opinion, is practically extortion. Sorry, that's just how I feel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Plot twist:

Grinch leak is fake, the box is a lie, all the insiders are wrong, the gardevoir leak was the only true gospel
So long as it comes with Gothitelle as the Gardevoir echo (no matter who weird that actually is mechanic-wise), I would not be opposed to this outcome.

D

Deleted member

Aw, but we've made such good friends here!

What're we gonna do when the hype cycle's over? Play the game?
Pfffft, forget that nonsense.

The next phase is arguing about DLC, and when we're not doing that, staring at the CSS and grumbling about who isn't on it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
*leak happens*
Smash fanbase: "ooooh"
Insiders: "yeah that doesn't make sense it's fake guys"
Smash fanbase: "man why do insiders have to be so arrogant and condescending :///"
Shhh ... The history revisionism are coming with their pitchforks. Go and hide-

But ahem more seriously, let's drop that subject and just enjoy the direct.

D

Deleted member

Or one of the Battletoads doing their shape-shifting shenanigans.
I'd rather not. One of them already made it into a different fighting game, and he's one of the most annoying top tier characters ever created.
These cameos are killing me

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
He's rather terrible at it in general, but did get a few successes. :ultridley::ultkrool::ultisabelle:

Though part of him doesn't look forward to drawing up 4 of the characters he didn't see coming.
So he predicted those characters or did he just draw them? Because that's a major difference lol.

Not that I think he'd have inside info like that.

although i'm going to be secretly wishing he did

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Emily piggybacking off of Mystic isn’t surprising because she has a history of piggybacking. However due to her past knowledge of the game I’m not gonna count out her input, but I also wont surprised if she’s just following along with what other people are saying.
Listen, I feel like I need to get this straight with everyone.

The only thing Emily ever did was "hint" at Ultimate's name, that's it.

Does anybody remember how many legitimate leaks came out for Ultimate right before E3, including a complete rundown of the E3 direct? MANY of these people or their friends had access to the E3 booths and the game itself before the direct revealed the game.

Since then, NOBODY has given more credible information, save for probably Vergeben up to Isabelle. Even his Simon leak came MONTHS before.

How do you think someone like LoZ leaked the E3 direct flawlessly, then was found out to be a complete sham afterwards?

Seriously, don't listen to what everyone has to say, especially insiders. Take their points into consideration, look at the leak, and come to your own conclusion.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
Sure. But that's unrelated to the leak. That's me correcting someone on how to properly address arguments. I would have done that regardless of what we were talking about.
So you're saying you're not just condescending in the topic of leaks, but on all topics. So it basically makes you worse than all these insiders. Good to know.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Pfffft, forget that nonsense.

The next phase is arguing about DLC, and when we're not doing that, staring at the CSS and grumbling about who isn't on it.
I'll get my Midna shirt ready.

She's clinging to the chest with her hair and hanging down like a tie, it's adorable.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm gonna do a little challenge here. If the Grinch leak is real, I'm changing my icon to Cat in the Hat with the Bat...

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
IF the insiders are right (doubtful, still waiting on Mother 3 localization and Pokemon Stars, they get things wrong all the time) then I'm guessing Chorus Kids and Mach Rider are ATs based on what they've been saying. Either that or Issac is back as an AT and we get Chorus Kids (less likely).

I'm fully prepared to eat crow if the grinch is wrong. I'd happily apologize and literally never trust a single leak again unless theres concrete video proof, and even then I don't trust it because of Rayman leak (this actually would mean I'd always be surprised for smash news, not a bad thing!) but I'm also fully prepared to relish in the memes and grincposting if grinch is right and the insiders are wrong - they deserve everything coming to them if they're collectively BTFO (as long as it's not doxxing or threatening, not ever cool).

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Alternate Timeline: The direct starts and its similar to the 2015 Final Smash Bros direct. It opens up with Celica and Alm as new Fire Emblem characters and ends with Dante as a Bayonetta echo.

D

Deleted member

*people directly replying to others without quoting*
"Show ignored content"
0ac2b037-f800-4346-8d37-5360ef75d20e.gif

Ah **** man which one of them is it this time?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Uhhhh
That Snake?
No.
Venom Snake, who is Naked Snake, who is what Solid Snake is cloned from, at one point can take a sidequest where he can stop a bear, either by killing it or capturing it.

It's not a reference.
how is it not a reference just because its not a specific iteration of snake lmfao

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Listen, I feel like I need to get this straight with everyone.

The only thing Emily ever did was "hint" at Ultimate's name, that's it.

Does anybody remember how many legitimate leaks came out for Ultimate right before E3, including a complete rundown of the E3 direct? MANY of these people or their friends had access to the E3 booths and the game itself before the direct revealed the game.

Since then, NOBODY has given more credible information, save for probably Vergeben up to Isabelle. Even his Simon leak came MONTHS before.

How do you think someone like LoZ leaked the E3 direct flawlessly, then was found out to be a complete sham afterwards?

Seriously, don't listen to what everyone has to say, especially insiders. Take their points into consideration, look at the leak, and come to your own conclusion.
"Don't listen to what anyone has to say, especially the people who clearly have more access to information than us"

You say you won't apologize to anybody, but you've been very condescending this whole leak around. Always one step away of telling anyone who disagreed with you to shut up. Please, you have as much information as anyone else here, maybe get off your high horse?

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
You don't want more characters to keep the game "fresh"?
Yeah, I honestly do not think I'll have any problems keeping the game fresh without DLC.

People are still learning new things about Melee over 17 years later, without the need for DLC or even patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom