• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
So why would you want to lock characters behind nintendo online
I'd rather just pay for dlc characters tbh
I don't mean needing online to use them, just if you're subscribed when the character is released you get it for free.
I'd hope at least, because that'd tie the content to an internet connection otherwise.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Red (A Smash Tuber that's great.) brought up a good point in his latest video about a Direct making sense this week, not just with the bundle and Nintendo's quarterly briefing, but because the Grinch leak got much further than anyone could have ever imagined, it's straight up controlling the narrative of all things Smash right now. And that's a problem, especially if it's fake. Getting this Direct out as soon as possible will clear things up and get the hype cycle to December with little to no more issues.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
those are more like historical and, when it comes down to it, you're making a crapshot. I'm not saying Mach Rider can't happen; I'm just saying that Mach Rider is the standout here - If he's in, chances are, this rumor is real.
Maybe the confusion comes from Mach Rider actually following Sakurai's original plan of having him/her always on his/her bike? If I heard that through a source, I'd probably dismiss them as an assist trophy too if I didn't know the obscure bit of trivia I mentioned

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Robin, Diddy, Yoshi, Young Link are all INCREDIBLY suspicious. Would not be surprised if they make a big deal out of them in the new direct.
Why is Yoshi suspicious? I know we haven't seen much of him so far, but I can't think of any reason other than that they just happen to be working on him last. Or...they want to save him to use as an example for alt costumes (promoting future costume DLC?)

Robin I can see summoning Morgan instead of Chrom. Maybe Diddy pulls in Dixie for a dual attack Final Smash? I'd be okay with that, but a lot of people would not. Young Link has to use the Fierce Deity Mask. He can't not.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
https://www..youtube.com/watch?v=hr03yOoFPww

The arrogance annoys me
“Give me a reason why it’s real”
It’s almost as if nothing happened the past few days.

I personally want this leak to be real because the ego’s coming out of these insiders who want to brush off any criticism as “STOP ATTACKING ME” needs to be taken down their high horse.
I have been saying this for years. and the "stop attacking me" stuff ironically never stop. They got egos clad in adamantium..

Akiak

Smash Ace
My personal hypothesis is that insiders saw a clip of Incineroar running around and interacting with some kind of Minecraft thing. Be it a creeper, a Minecraft stage, a Minecraft cat as part of his trailer, whatever. That's where Verg got their "Incineroar and Minecraft representation" information.

A lot of people saw this video, so they are dead certain that Incineroar is in the game and his absence on the banner means it's fake. However, it doesn't match up with the current "climate" of Ultimate in my honest opinion: while Incineroar is one of the more popular pokemon from that generation, it's not a "meme pick" like most of the roster has been so far which caters to hardcore fans. I can absolutely see Incineroar either being an AT that people thought was a character, a really developed Pokeball summon, or just an originally planned character that got shuffled to DLC (because they know enough people will buy any Pokemon character.)

I'm almost 99% sure that people are putting their reputation on the line over the wrestle cat because they saw him in action.
Nah, they probably simply heard he's in and because of confirmation bias or something like that they like to act like they're 100% sure of what they've heard (also pretty sure Vergeben didn't know what the Minecraft content would be, so I don't think video evidence is possible here)

All I know is it's gonna be a fun time for them once (if) it gets proven real :p

To clarify though, I'm still not 100% team real, and honestly I find it pretty amazing that we haven't been able to completely prove or disprove it after all this time (and that there's a good chunk of people who are convinced it's fake)

But all that means is the hype for the trailer is mostly intact, which is great! (plus if Nintendo are smart enough they might make some changes to the trailer so that we won't know the leak is real until the very end)

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Etika finally came back and streamed... people were trying to show him the Grinch leak, but there's honestly just too much **** going on his life for him to care about it. Right now he thinks it's that the Grinch is a character, lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Etika finally came back and streamed... people were trying to show him the Grinch leak, but there's honestly just too much **** going on his life for him to care about it. Right now he thinks it's that the Grinch is a character, lol.
What exactly is going on in his life, other than the event about him that happened last week?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Why is Yoshi suspicious? I know we haven't seen much of him so far, but I can't think of any reason other than that they just happen to be working on him last. Or...they want to save him to use as an example for alt costumes (promoting future costume DLC?)

Robin I can see summoning Morgan instead of Chrom. Maybe Diddy pulls in Dixie for a dual attack Final Smash? I'd be okay with that, but a lot of people would not. Young Link has to use the Fierce Deity Mask. He can't not.
Also, Peach, let's not forget. She got bupkis shown of her FS so far.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
blue diamond as sakurai and the aura is confirmation that the grinch is fake
then k. rool/ridley fans show up and are just like "i've felt worse"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Red (A Smash Tuber that's great.) Brought up a good point. He said in his latest video that a Direct makes sense this week not just with the bundle and Nintendo's quarterly briefing, but because the Grinch leak got much further than anyone could have ever imagined, it's straight up controlling the narrative of all things Smash right now. And that's a problem, especially if it's fake. Getting this Direct out as soon as possible will clear things up and get the hype cycle to December with little to no more issues.
Would have been true if it wasn't for Spawn-Wave talking about an early First/Second week of november direct for 4 week now.
The Grinch Leak didn't pushed it foward, I don't believe so

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What exactly is going on in his life, other than the event about him that happened last week?
What caused the event that happened last week. He still has to deal with all of that to return to a stable mental condition. Going to a mental hospital doesn't mean your problems magically disappear.

THEN he can afford to worry about stupid **** like the Grinch leak. For now he should focus on himself.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
DLC characters being free for Online subscriptors is super likely considering Mewtwo in Smash 4.
I figured Mewtwo was a special case, because he was a veteran, not a newcomer. He was only DLC because, for whatever reason, he wasn't finished in time for the game's release, but was intended to be in the base game, so as a consolation, he was free if you bought both versions of the game.

Taking a character that's already finished and locking it away until you buy the online subscription seems really unlikely. Especially since the only bonus content for a Switch Online subscription so far is just a shirt in Splatoon 2, and only if you buy the 12 month subscription.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What caused the event that happened last week. He still has to deal with all of that to return to a stable mental condition. Going to a mental hospital doesn't mean your problems magically disappear.

THEN he can afford to worry about stupid **** like the Grinch leak. For now he should focus on himself.
I see. Poor guy. I hope he gets better.

Not to argue, but the Grinch leak is not stupid. Not that stupid anyway. It's the people, such as the harassers who aren't so good. Just wanted to point this out.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I figured Mewtwo was a special case, because he was a veteran, not a newcomer. He was only DLC because, for whatever reason, he wasn't finished in time for the game's release, but was intended to be in the base game, so as a consolation, he was free if you bought both versions of the game.

Taking a character that's already finished and locking it away until you buy the online subscription seems really unlikely. Especially since the only bonus content for a Switch Online subscription so far is just a shirt in Splatoon 2, and only if you buy the 12 month subscription.
I honestly don't think Mewtwo was being developed until E3 2014 before the game released. While there Sakurai got told to his face Mewtwo's popularity, which he seemed to be underestimating up until that point. Remember, in October 2014 Mewtwo was little more than a basic model. There's no way he was meant for the base game.
Not to argue, but the Grinch leak is not stupid. Not that stupid anyway. It's the people, such as the harassers who aren't so good. Just wanted to point this out.
>"Not to argue"
>Argues anyway

Weren't you the one who told me not to go after little points?

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
so what's the evidence of a direct this week?

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
I hope that Sakurai appears with a small grinch plush in the background.
the direct opens with sakurai staring into the camera silently, with a visible grinch plush in the background. without breaking eye contact, he grabs the grinch plush, takes out a knife out of nowhere and begins to slowly stab it. during this process, his eyes never break contact with the camera, while he mutters something angrily in japanese. after he's done diseboweling the plush, his translator quietly says "never ask me for anything ever again, you ****ers". the stream ends. smashboards crashes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Serious question/theory:

Sakurai said in the August Direct "We will reveal the designs of all of the characters before release"

Could it be that the final direct reveal a certain number of characters, trailers and all, but then he just shows us who the remaining characters are and says "you'll have to play to find out!" or something stupid like that lol?

For example, in line of this leak:

Smash direct reveals Isaac, then Ken and Shadow as the final echoes, followed by Banjo and Kazooie. By the end of the direct, the banner fills in and we see Mach Rider, Chorus Kids and Geno are also on the banner, but he states that he only wanted to reveal who the characters are, but its up to us to see how they play.

I know this doesn't fight against leaks fully, but at least he gets to announce all of the characters.

Edit: thinking about it more, I honestly think its a GOOD reason for people who like surprises still. It also helps reduce the directs runtime if its an issue about how many announcements people think it will have.

DLC characters being free for Online subscriptors is super likely considering Mewtwo in Smash 4.

Hell, maybe it explains incineroar

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Please read my post properly
1) I never said a character would be Day 1 DLC
2) I never said a character would be locked behind the Online
3) I never said a finished character would be held back to become DLC

What I said id that a DLC character being FREE to those with the online subscription is very likely, much like Mewtwo was free to those with both versions(but still available to be bought on its own)

Dan

Smash Lord
I have no ****ing clue... he lives with his mom. He said it was a mountain of insecurities that had just been piling up and he wasn't being real with himself or other people; I think it was a combination of a million things, but I think it was pretty cool, respectable and epic how he destroyed his YouTube career to be himself.

But yeah; someone tried to show him the leak and he just could not focus on it at all. I literally don't think he understands the implications that this is ESRB 2.0.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom