• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
I'm now in #TeamReal, it'd fun to see all the reactions to the new direct; "Oh boy, the leaks were true..."
Let me explain what the person had to do to make this, if it was fake:
  1. Cut out all the characters from the official banner. Some them are really difficult because of the details.
  2. Paint or use similar tools to make an empty background.
  3. Place the characters on said background.
  4. Make models for the newcomers, 3 are 3D, 1 is 2D in a very specific art style.
  5. Then make more stuff, and printing everything in specific paper sizes.
  6. Waste your time cutting, editing and printing Grinch promotionals.
  7. And finally, well, use freaking SnapChat to leak the image. Compressing the image in the process.
Seems way to much work, and this is assuming he had 3 months or less to make the leak which I'll admit it's quite the time.
And even the most complex leaks (from videogames in general) have weak points, like the Rayman leak from A.O. being too short.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The only justification Pokemon has for having more characters then FE is that its characters are better known, and would thus make more people happy.

That said, characters can be popular without being well known. Marth, Ike and Roy are all extremely popular because of Smash Bros and there are many non-FE fans who would be sad to see them cut. Let's be real here, most FE hate comes from scapegoating fans who are upset that their preferred characters didn't get in, not because any of the characters were actually bad picks.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, assuming the leak is real (I'll remain half-in-half), what do you guys think will be the order of reveals? Here's what I'm thinking...

Geno: Announced prior to the potential Smash Direct

Isaac: Starts off the Smash Direct

Shadow & Ken: Echo Fighter showcase

Chorus Kids & Mach Rider: revealed during the direct

Banjo-Kazooie: Revealed at the very end of the direct
Isaac: Beginning of the direct.
Shadow & Ken: echoes
Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Banjo Kazooie: During the direct
Geno: End of the direct.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
You’re going to tell me that Ike and Marth play exactly the same? Or that Robin and Corrin are even remotely similar? The only “unique” character that plays similarly to another is Roy, and even then his kit is different for a good measure.
Also, it pretty much is a double standard because you’re getting mad over the idea that FE is getting a potential new character, while completely embracing a truckload of new Pokémon.
That’s extreme bias if I’ve ever heard of it.
Literally i mentioned robin and corrin being unique, what are you on. I can agree with ike having a dissimilar kit compared to other FE chars but roy, lucina still derive heavily from marth. Also "embracing"? when have i mentioned that? When have i mentioned that i don't want an FE character? Stop putting ****ing words in my mouth.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I'm now in #TeamReal, it'd fun to see all the reactions to the new direct; "Oh boy, the leaks were true..."
  1. Cut out all the characters from the official banner. Some them are really difficult because of the details.
  4. Make models for the newcomers, 3 are 3D, 1 is 2D in a very specific art style.
  7. And finally, well, use freaking SnapChat to leak the image. Compressing the image in the process.
Seems way to much work, and this is assuming he had 3 months or less to make the leak which I'll admit it's quite the time.
And even the most complex leaks (from videogames in general) have weak points, like the Rayman leak from A.O. being too short.
Anyone think that this was possible to make within a month?
Because I’ve seen people theorize that he could’ve piggybacked off the September 4chan leak, but from what I can gather it seems highly unlikely.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
One interesting proposition: The sprout goes on your head like an opposite-flower and progressively heals you. Wouldn't be a radius effect and would attach with a passive much like numerous existing items.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I agree that this a rather ridiculous workload, but never doubt the oddity of humanity. I could easily see someone weirdo wasting time on all this.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
With the talk about the source from Microsoft, I have to wonder if 3rd Party companies are allowed to know the full roster?

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Okay I know how memey this sounds but a huge thing we’re forgetting in all of this is the grinch

If some dude framed this 50 year old French man, how does he have grinch pics that have never been shown off but a fake smash leak, unless the leaker also happens to work at a poster manufacturing business too and framed it on some random person? I don’t buy it

Unless someone can find that render of grinch facing backwards whilst being mirrored from a pre existing image of him

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Speaking as someone who does Photoshop work for a living and has experience printing and making in-store advertisements:

There's a difference between "I don't know how to do that" and actual difficulty. If I were motivated and someone spotted me $10 to print some stuff at Kinkos, I could create this leak on my weekend. Yes, it requires some specific skills, an attention to detail and motivation to lie to the entire community for a brief moment of internet stardom, but I think there are actually a fair amount of people who have all three of those things.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Crossposting this from the GS-thread:

Who would have thought that the Grinch and Wendy's would have been large proponents to our cause?
To be frank, I wouldn't find it anything far off seeing them collaborating together to do this massive, heinous stunt.

Now here comes the Grinch x Wendy-memes. :awesome:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
When I said yesterday 'please add 20 more characters to the leak' I was joking. More fighters is ridiculous, I can't believe this new info but, hell, I really want to know how it ends, what a ride.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
This right here is what kills me about FE hate.
A lot of people will completely get pissed if one more character is added to the roster, but are perfectly fine with four Pokémon added to one game.
Like I love Pokémon, but come on, that’s a huge double standard.
Pokemon is literally the biggest franchise in the world, FE is kind of niche.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Personally, I think it's just a Mario vine.

Creates a ladder that reaches the blast zone. Would make sense considering the new ladder attacks.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally, I think it's just a Mario vine.

Creates a ladder that reaches the blast zone. Would make sense considering the new ladder attacks.
It being in an orb would be a bit weird.

If it was a Mario vine, it being in a question block or something would make more sense, wouldn't it?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
One thing that I find funny about FE representation in Smash Brothers is that Robin, who is easily the most unique of all the FE characters, is from my experience the least played of the bunch. It goes to show that more people care more about a character being "fun" then being "unique". Not that Robin isn't fun, that's entirely subjective, but he's slow and also a lot harder to use then the super straightforward sword-swingers so he's much harder to pick up and start having a good time with.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
I agree that this a rather ridiculous workload, but never doubt the oddity of humanity. I could easily see someone weirdo wasting time on all this.
Based on the leak, Eric (or whatever he's called) the leaker, knows:
  • 3D modeling.
  • 2D painting.
  • The art-style of Smash Bros., Rhythm Heaven, Sonic, Street Fighter, Golden Sun and Banjo Kazooie.
  • Probably is aware of other leaks.
  • Omitted Incineroar.
  • The Conductor is part of The Chorus Kids.
  • Banjo has an art style different from Nuts & Bolts.
  • Shadow's pose is unique, comparing it to a 3D model.
  • Oh and it's aware of Sakurai's comments on Mach Rider.
He knows his Smash.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Pokemon is literally the biggest franchise in the world, FE is kind of niche.
It still managed to earn $16.8million through its mobile game in a single month last month.

It's becoming less niche by the year, though comparing it to Pokemon will never be a fair fight.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

If it was a Mario vine, it being in a question block or something would make more sense, wouldn't it?
I'd imagine the orb is there to indicate it could be picked up. Perhaps the reason a question block isn't used is because it doesn't convey what it does and is more associated with coins/powerups?

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Literally i mentioned robin and corrin being unique, what are you on. I can agree with ike having a dissimilar kit compared to other FE chars but roy, lucina still derive heavily from marth. Also "embracing"? when have i mentioned that? When have i mentioned that i don't want an FE character? Stop putting ****ing words in my mouth.
I’m not putting words in your mouth, and wow you’re getting extremely heated from my one remark.
My point is, all the backlash for FE to receive one more character and for the same crowd of people to go accept a mass amount of Pokémon is a huge double standard, especially since people usually use the complaint that series shouldn’t receive more than x amount of characters. Regardless of whether they’re unique or not, it shows that people have an extreme bias for one series over the other.
While I love Pokémon and recognize a good chunk of them are more varied, I still find it ridiculous in my opinion.
ZephyrZ ZephyrZ clarifies this well.
The only justification Pokemon has for having more characters then FE is that its characters are better known, and would thus make more people happy.

That said, characters can be popular without being well known. Marth, Ike and Roy are all extremely popular because of Smash Bros and there are many non-FE fans who would be sad to see them cut. Let's be real here, most FE hate comes from scapegoating fans who are upset that their preferred characters didn't get in, not because any of the characters were actually bad picks.
Oh no, I definitely know the reasons why.
Like don’t get me wrong, Pokémon is my favorite franchise, I completely understand that they get more love by default, hell I even appreciate the Pokémon newcomers.
All I’m saying is the hate for FE is pretty flimsy and unjustified. Like you can’t bash one franchise for an extra character, but praise one for adding a good amount of unique ones.
I mean I even saw people getting pissed Dark Samus was added after “we just got Ridley”, along with some Chrom hate.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Yeah vines in Mario have always spawned from blocks.

Also, note to self: Never search "super mario vine" if you want to know about the actual Mario beanstalks.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It still managed to earn $16.8million through its mobile game in a single month last month.

It's becoming less niche by the year, though comparing it to Pokemon will never be a fair fight.
In all fairness...FEH Heroes is a money-grabbing gacha. How much money those games earn is not a representation of how popular the franchise is, as gacha games tend to make most of their money from so-called "whales", or folks who are willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on mobile games.

osby

Smash Obsessed
One thing that I find funny about FE representation in Smash Brothers is that Robin, who is easily the most unique of all the FE characters, is from my experience the least played of the bunch. It goes to show that more people care more about a character being "fun" then being "unique". Not that Robin isn't fun, that's entirely subjective, but he's slow and also a lot harder to use then the super straightforward sword-swingers so he's much harder to pick up and start having a good time with.
I find funny how everyone gave **** to Lucina for being unnecessary in last game but I see her far more than Robin and Ike in online.

Now, I secondary Robin, but it's obvious Marth has a great design and it lends itself to clones very well.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't know whether to take offense to this or not, lol.
None intended. I'm just loopy and can't fall asleep. Got a cold.

I actually really appreciate your analyses that I've found. Your piece-by-piece look at the blank Battlefield banner was really cool.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'd imagine the orb is there to indicate it could be picked up. Perhaps the reason a question block isn't used is because it doesn't convey what it does and is more associated with coins/powerups?
The grey arrow is used to denote an item's presence. Why would this item have the arrow and another unique identifier that it's an item?

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Yeah vines in Mario have always spawned from blocks.

Also, note to self: Never search "super mario vine" if you want to know about the actual Mario beanstalks.
Orbs in Mario? That's Mario Party 5/6/7 items! Sadly there isn't anything like Vine/Beanstalk Orb.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
N3ON N3ON You asked me a few pages back, about if my source had heard anything about minecraft.

I will ask them, it never came up in our conversation but its one of the things i plan on asking about since the "microsoft source" i assume should know, or should have known what was going on with minecraft.

I will say that since my source seemed to have been initially believing box theory/vergeben because of this quote:

"i was firmly in the Ken/Inceneroar/Isabelle camp for the entire time and mostly discredited everything else. The SE rep was 50/50 , and i figured Banjo was DLC. "

my assumption is the whole "minecraft content" in some form vergeben was talking about was believed by them BUT that is just me speculating based on that quote of them telling me what they believed BEFORE the grinch leak.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In all fairness...FEH Heroes is a money-grabbing gacha. How much money those games earn is not a representation of how popular the franchise is, as gacha games tend to make most of their money from so-called "whales", or folks who are willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on mobile games.
You're absolutely right.

However, there are other mobile games that fail to garner enough spending to even stay afloat. Puzzle Fighter was one such game. Despite having a multitude of Capcom mainstays and using the gameplay of an already established successful franchise, they closed it down in less than eight months. FEH is coming up on its two year anniversary and there's still a ****ton of people playing it. It's made nearly $450million to date.

Gotchas don't make money if nobody's interested in getting got.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The grey arrow is used to denote an item's presence. Why would this item have the arrow and another unique identifier that it's an item?
Well, compare it with the AC weed item. Due to it being a plant, you wouldn't associate it with being thrown and it's plucked. An orb would indicate it is separate from the ground and is able to be picked up and thrown.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think there's as much of a learning curve as you're implying. People generally get the gist of an item after using it. If the question block always did the same thing, people would pick up on it.

Well, compare it with the AC weed item. Due to it being a plant, you wouldn't associate it with being thrown and it's plucked. An orb would indicate it is separate from the ground and is able to be picked up and thrown.
Once it shows up on any stage where you wouldn't naturally see a sprout (which is a lot of them) I think you'd be able to forego the demarkation if you weren't before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom