• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Yeah, that's about what I thought...I do digital art myself, and I would never imagine doing a thing like this without layers. I mean, that has GOT to be an insane amount of layers, but nonetheless, I'm sure that's how it was done. I do wonder if some of the interactions were painted together though, as G&W's would make zero sense on his own, lol.

Anyway, I appreciate the analyses! That should at least cover it if anyone else goes down that road. I really don't know what to think of the background, honestly. I doubt I'll be poking at it again, though. It seems like an inconclusive way to prove or disprove this leak.

...though I suppose everything except an actual reveal is.:laugh:
Plenty of characters have interactions that are purposeful and obvious. Others are just there not interacting with anybody. It's possible some consideration was made ahead of time as to how the characters would be shifted around. For example, K.Rool takes up a really big spot on the mural and they'd know once he was removed there would need to be some serious shifting to fill the gap. So they don't draw any of the characters around him in such a way that would prevent them being moved around. G&W/Doc and Robin/Chrom are on the ends of the mural, for example, where less shifting was going to occur.

D

Deleted member

This is mostly based off of who I like the look of, not necessarily competitive impressions:

Favorite:

:ultzelda: Best improved design by far
:ultyounglink: Best model in the game
:ultrichter: As I've stated before he gives me a Subzero vibe wrt Simon's Scorpion
:ultlucina: I like her updated look (her face looked weird to me in Wii U)
:ultisabelle: She looks so happy (I adore her orange jacket look) AND NONE OF YOU WILL LAY A FINGER ON HER

Least Favorite:

:ultlucario:

How does one hate Ryu?
Well...you have Pearl instead of Marina in your avatar, so I'll forgive you
I don't hate him, I just don't really care for him compared to other characters.

Only ones I have strong distaste for are the first two on my least favorite list.

While Pearl is my favorite tied with Callie, I believe all four Splatoon idols are awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
How does one hate Ryu?
Well...you have Pearl instead of Marina in your avatar, so I'll forgive you
I got extremely bored of Ryu through all my time playing various Street Fighters online.

Everyone. Plays. ****ing. Ryu.

I don't hate him, but goddamn am I bored of him.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I cannot see them doing two directs in the same week announcing that many characters. I just can't.
November 1 and 8 are a week apart--I'm using my calendar in EST. Like I said, the dates are arbitrary, but wanted to time one to go along with the rumor saying around Nov 8, and I feel like a Smash Direct would come after the last Nintendo General Direct. Any dates are fine, just gives it arbitrary context.

Last edited:

TheCrystalCave

Smash Cadet
I can't wait for Steve to be announced in the new Direct, and it discredits the whole leak.

The Smash community would literally fall apart.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It can't be an item because Ivysaur can't be affected by it.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but by that logic Mewtwo should be taking double damage to darkness attacks and Marth should be doing insane damage to Corrin. Not to mention that Sceptile can use Leech Seed on Decidueye and other Sceptiles in Pokken.

Not that I actually think Leech Seed is an item, but Smash isn't always forced to follow the logic of the games its representing.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
November 1 and 8 are a week apart--I'm using my calendar in EST. Like I said, the dates are arbitrary, but wanted to time one to go along with the rumor saying around Nov 8, and I feel like a Smash Direct would come after the last Nintendo General Direct. Any dates are fine, just gives it arbitrary context.
Okay. "A week apart" instead of "in the same week". Use whichever terminology you want.

I just can't see it. Nintendo's never operated that way with their directs. And if this leak is true and we're getting characters from four different 3rd parties, I'd imagine none of them would want their characters getting shown up by another third party in the same trailer.

Honestly, if the leak is true (go #TeamFake), I have no earthly idea how they'd go about announcing them before physical copies are out in the wild, ripe for leaking.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
You know...this brings up an interesting thought: we've sort of been assuming the mural has been having characters added to it this whole time, and that they're doing that over a completed blank background, which would make a ton of sense if you had planned to add each character from the beginning. Of course you'd do that, as layers and so forth would help a ridiculous amount.

But...what if it's actually reversed? What if the entire mural was completed first, and characters were taken out of it so they could be kept secret?

Think about it: these aren't renders, they're drawn art. And many of them, quite a FEW of them, interact with each other. A notable example is Chrom, a character not revealed until later, is looking down at Robin, who was already there. This implies that the entire mural was planned and drawn all at once, to be a cohesive whole. That would be the easiest way to make sure the style and forms meshed together correctly, and also that the background would be the right size for everyone to fit correctly when it was done. I daresay it's the only way you could do that, but I won't say that's definite.

Either way, this could explain why the background is inconsistent--they drew the mural directly onto it, and after cutting characters out, they had to edit it to fill the spaces.

This is a bit reachy, I know. And I'm also aware that many pieces of art are also used for the cover art, which would suggest they were drawn separately. But it's possible those were cut out specifically for the boxart. I just find it odd to consider the mural characters were drawn completely separate, especially when you've got things like Wario and Dedede reacting to PT, and Dr. Mario checking G&W's vitals.

Usually I stay away from background discussion...but I thought I'd throw this in to see what you all think. It's got holes, and I'm sure it'll be blasted apart. But I haven't seen anyone suggest this yet, so why not, for the sake of discussion?:p

Holy crap though lol. You actually might be on to somethere.

This is why I was saying before that we will never EVER know a leak's entire story, especially if it is legit. There could be a hundred reasons why the background looks different.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
This doesn't explain why there would be two different backgrounds. Even if they painted a finished mural on one layer and had to recreate the background, you'd still only have one finished background.
I guess the idea is just MAYBE as they took out characters they thought "hmm...looks kind of empty this way" and added to the background.

Its not a perfect explanation but I think its a reasonable one for why our first banners have more stuff going on in the background than the grinch leak's potential final roster banner.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Well time to sleep.

Hope the monster that is The Grinch Leak stays alive til I wake next.

If I don't see you later, Good Morning, Good Evening and Good Night.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but by that logic Mewtwo should be taking double damage to darkness attacks and Marth should be doing insane damage to Corrin. Not to mention that Sceptile can use Leech Seed on Decidueye and other Sceptiles in Pokken.

Not that I actually think Leech Seed is an item, but Smash isn't always forced to follow the logic of the games its representing.
If it did, my boi would have his opponents encased in eggs INDEFINITELY and be able to throw them...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can't wait for Steve to be announced in the new Direct, and it discredits the whole leak.

It already fell apart but I'd love the "DOESN'T SAKURAI CARE ABOUT US HARDCORE FANS?" because we all know people would try unironically pushing that **** if Steve makes it in over Geno or whatever

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

That's why I try to temper expectations with this leak. I genuinely believe it to be an elaborate fake, and I'm worried that this community will have a hell of a hangover when reality hits.

I'd love for #TeamFake to be wrong. I just don't think we are.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
-Direct Opens-​

Sakurai (the absolute madman): Hello. Let's cut right to the chase. Here are the Final Fighters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

-Queue 5 ****in trailers in a row-​

Sakurai: Did you like it? Actually we do have two more echo fighters for you.

-Talks about Shadow and Ken for a minute-​

Sakurai: Now let's go over the new modes we haven't shown you yet.

- All the new modes and other content is shown-​

Sakurai: That's all for today's Direct and we hope you look forward to the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on December 7th. Oh, one more thing, here's a quick look at the future of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate through DLC. Please enjoy.

-Queue Inceneroar trailer-​

Smash Community:

I'm calling it right now.

That is IF the leak is real.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Okay. "A week apart" instead of "in the same week". Use whichever terminology you want.

I just can't see it. Nintendo's never operated that way with their directs. And if this leak is true and we're getting characters from four different 3rd parties, I'd imagine none of them would want their characters getting shown up by another third party in the same trailer.

Honestly, if the leak is true (go #TeamFake), I have no earthly idea how they'd go about announcing them before physical copies are out in the wild, ripe for leaking.
Did you even read my post? There were two third parties, in two separate Directs in my speculation. Obviously there's a lot more characters than I originally expected, but I feel like the extraordinary nature of circumstances surrounding the leak as well as the image itself can't be brushed aside (feel free to do, if you wish), and I felt that this was the best way to balance it. Make your own speculation using the Box Theory if you like, but I'm Team Real (unless I find something convincing). It's a weak real--60/40. But compelling enough to consider.

Dayseh

Smash Rookie
Maybe they needed the empty background for the side with the Smash and Switch logo but Nintendo only gave them the full banner and instead of calling Nintendo for it they just decided to make their own. It's a pretty huge stretch but it's the only reason I can think of the different banners

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
That's why I try to temper expectations with this leak. I genuinely believe it to be an elaborate fake, and I'm worried that this community will have a hell of a hangover when reality hits.

I'd love for #TeamFake to be wrong. I just don't think we are.
Honestly, whether Grinch leak is real or not, I'll be okay as long as Kencineroar isn't all that's left.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So anyway, if that sprout is supposed to be a Golden Sun item, why is the sprout white?
Current answer: Omigosh Zachmac you can't just ask something why it's white.

Joking aside, I really don't think we should be so confident in it being a Golden Sun item just yet. It could still be anything, even something none of us have suggested yet.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Plenty of characters have interactions that are purposeful and obvious. Others are just there not interacting with anybody. It's possible some consideration was made ahead of time as to how the characters would be shifted around. For example, K.Rool takes up a really big spot on the mural and they'd know once he was removed there would need to be some serious shifting to fill the gap. So they don't draw any of the characters around him in such a way that would prevent them being moved around. G&W/Doc and Robin/Chrom are on the ends of the mural, for example, where less shifting was going to occur.
Good lord, I sincerely hope they paid that mural artist(s) well for that project...Sounds like a serious logistical nightmare, lol. I imagine it took a ludicrous amount of time, even with layers.

But hey...one of the perks? Those guys were one of the few to know the entire roster. I know, we should harass them!

...Or not.:p They might not even know, anyway--Nintendo probably made them draw 20 extra characters so they wouldn't be able to figure it out, like with Xander. Maybe THAT'S what this banner actually is--the mural including all the decoys...

Sorry, lol. I'll stop stirring the pot now.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
-Direct Opens-​

Sakurai (the absolute madman): Hello. Let's cut right to the chase. Here are the Final Fighters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Sakurai: That's all for today's Direct and we hope you look forward to the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on December 7th. Oh, one more thing, here's a quick look at the future of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate through DLC. Please enjoy.

Smash Community:

Username doesn't check out.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I guess the idea is just MAYBE as they took out characters they thought "hmm...looks kind of empty this way" and added to the background.

Its not a perfect explanation but I think its a reasonable one for why our first banners have more stuff going on in the background than the grinch leak's potential final roster banner.
I could buy this, but the big difference between the banners is that the leaked one is missing stuff. The entire castle structure over the waterfall, for example, is replaced with nothing in the leaked banner. So, for this theory to be true, the decision would be instead to remove detail, and only in the places where detail was obscured by the crowd.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Did you even read my post? There were two third parties, in two separate Directs in my speculation. Obviously there's a lot more characters than I originally expected, but I feel like the extraordinary nature of circumstances surrounding the leak as well as the image itself can't be brushed aside (feel free to do, if you wish), and I felt that this was the best way to balance it. Make your own speculation using the Box Theory if you like, but I'm Team Real (unless I find something convincing). It's a weak real--60/40. But compelling enough to consider.
Ken and Shadow are also third parties. That's four total-- and separate-- third parties. You had Capcom, Sega and Square Enix sharing the spotlight in one video, with Microsoft coming in only one week removed in another.

So yes, I did read your post. I simply disagreed with it based on precedence.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
So has there been any discussion on the Chad Ganondorf leak as corroborating evidence in favor of Grinch? Because to me that's easily the strongest evidence for as it predicts the exact same roster of 7 different characters well before the Grinch leak came to light, but I barely ever see anyone mention it.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Man, I'm trying to keep up with this thread, but I'm not feeling too great at the moment. XD
Everything seems to be going the same with the Grinch leak still alive and well, Golden Sun item, etc.?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly, whether Grinch leak is real or not, I'll be okay as long as Kencineroar isn't all that's left.
But that's the thing. If Ken and some other newcomer is all that's left, I think this whole hype cycle will result in everyone with that mentality feeling bitter about a game that has a ludicrous amount of music, stages, hardcore-catering changes and Ridley and K. Rool.

It's why I'm kind of a buzzkill from time to time. I think we have our heads way too far in the clouds and forget that the game we have, as it stands right now, is pretty ****ing awesome.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
-Direct Opens-​

Smash Community:

If the leak is real this is exactly what I'm predicting. I really feel like Incineroar isn't exactly bait but the idea that the Pokemon is base is. Mewtwo was the special DLC for 4, so another Pokemon isn't out of the question especially if you consider they may have taken some time before deciding on Incineroar specifically.

Plus, I mean, I'd be happy. InCENAroar overcomes the odds. NEVER GIVE UP

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So has there been any discussion on the Chad Ganondorf leak as corroborating evidence in favor of Grinch? Because to me that's easily the strongest evidence for as it predicts the exact same roster of 7 different characters well before the Grinch leak came to light, but I barely ever see anyone mention it.
Because it could very easily be the same person as the leaker.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
If the leak is real this is exactly what I'm predicting. I really feel like Incineroar isn't exactly bait but the idea that the Pokemon is base is. Mewtwo was the special DLC for 4, so another Pokemon isn't out of the question especially if you consider they may have taken some time before deciding on Incineroar specifically.

Plus, I mean, I'd be happy. InCENAroar overcomes the odds. NEVER GIVE UP
Oh God, this is how Sakurai is giving the trolls voting for John Cena representation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom