• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
just gonna make a comment on this one.The rough part isnt moving characters and pasting them somewhere. Everybody with decent graphical skills can do such a thing. But the really rough part is to keep the background accurate. Especially considering the fact that on one of the pictures, the entire background without characters on it was presented. This is a huge deal because somebody would have to take the time to produce himself the missing parts of the stage, the clouds, the lightings and so on. This is not something you just cut and paste from one point to another. And making renders of the newcomers in an artstyle that fits the already existing characters' look is also something that you won't just do that easily. Just consider the time someone has to put into this entire leak to produce it himself. Hard to say how many hours/days you will need to be able to produce a fake leak like this.

Also besides arguing about the editing that has to be done, there are a lot of other questions you should also ask yourself:
1. Why would someone even try to move many characters? If you are capable of drawing any character in the artstyle of the Ultimate banner, you probably would try to make renders that fit pretty easy into already existing gaps.
2. Why bother to show a picture with only the background without any characters? Completely unnecessary work you do. Unless you don't need to do the work because you already have access to the background without characters, then it's easy to just add it in case anyone is doubting the leak.
3. Why hide a name in the corner of the image? Also not really something, a fake leaker would put any effort into.
4.Why hide the name so poorly that people can still figure out what's written there? Furthermore why put a name of a person into the leak who has a connection to a company working with Bandai Namco?
5. Why even bother making a Grinch movie render?
These are already 5 things I highly doubt any fake leaker would put any effort into. There exists too much information alongside the actual character reveals on the banner and trying to debunk this will be much harder than some people think. If I try to put myself into the position of a fake leaker, I would definitely only try to make one good, kinda possible/realistic picture without any context. And of course I would go with something likely and avoid anything that seems unlikely. At this point I want to throw in some names: Would you let Incineroar out after people are almost convinced he is in the game? On the other side: Would you put Chorus Kid into your fake leak alongside safe guesses like Ken and Shadow?

I do understand that people are being sceptical about any leak but one point some people already brought up: Do not forget people who wanted to debunk the ESRB leak by arguing about Shulk having the face of Little Mac.
Yeah. I'm on what they're calling Team Neutral but I'm not sure people understand that the picture isn't the reason why people are believing the leak. If that banner leaked on its own without all this extra info no one would believe it

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I wonder if Dixie, Monster Hunter and Ray will be our first batch of DLC characters.

I'm still pretty certain Incineroar might still be in as the "missing character" if the banner is true.
Don't get my hopes up. Ray in smash would complete my life. We could even see a Custom Robo reboot. Damn it I'm already in fantasy land.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
All the ****ting on Incineroar and Steve are what make me hope this leak is fake.
How's that any different from the way things were before this leak?

Not saying it's okay, but I just don't really understand what you're getting at here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All the ****ting on Incineroar and Steve are what make me hope this leak is fake.
I hope this is real, but we'd still get those two. :laugh:

No, really, it's not like I committed to Grinch leak. If we get those two, I'll be busy with enjoying them and laughing at this thread from sidelines.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Fake or not, at least we actually have something to work with. My only concern is that if the Grinch Leak is deconfirmed, then all those who poured all their hope juice into it won't be pleased with what we do get. We have history of this. Better to be Team 50/50.
And here I thought you knew better!

Smooth Criminal

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
As for Shadow's arm, anyone with a basic knowledge of Sonic will know that one of his quills is just bleeding into the arm that's supposed to be there given the blur, thus making it look clunky.

Can't say anything about the rest of his body, although I noticed he looks to have somewhat of a similar stance as Sonic in his what we can only assume is his trophy design.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I mean, if it turns out to be fake that just means people will be ****ting on the characters who didn't make it from the leak. Either way we're going to be knee deep in ****.

Last edited:

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I will use my dear friend CosmicQuark CosmicQuark here , to show you guys how a image can change using pixels.

See?
The same picture, one is normal and the other is pixelated.
If you show it to some people, they will tell you that this could be a fake just made up.
Some will actualy give you reasons to why this is a fake.

But as you can see , this is not a fake, and it is easely done.
It works in the opposite way too.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Almost everyone online is gonna be salty, and I'll just go, "okay.", basically.

Incineroar would be a dream for me, but I really have no good reason to hate Steve as a character, even if I never asked for him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ya'll really need to chill out with the petty snide and underhanded comments towards one another.

Real/fake/Mach Rider is In/Fire Cat Steve Is In/Dream Job Barbie is In....

None of it is worth being mean ass human beings towards one another.

It's just leaks and rumors for a silly ass video game where you can punch Mario in his face.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Given how low quality the Snapchat was, and given that the original art style of the banner is pretty messy, this leak could literally be made by anyone with experience with graphic design and photoshop. Meanwhile ArtsyOmni made a fake 3D render accompanied by a mock animation. It's not a lot of effort if you have the experience with a universal photo editing program.
I'm getting some real "Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac" vibes from this statement. If the only solid argument against this leak at the moment is "Photoshop exists and people can use it," then this is never going to be debunked.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean, if it turns out to be fake that just means people will be ****ting on the characters who didn't make it. Either way we're going to be knee deep in ****.
No matter what, somebody will inevitably end up the new Chrom in terms of "Ha ha, look at this loser who didn't make it in!" memes

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Best timeline.
I'd say the best timeline is one where all the leaked characters are in and Incineroar's the last to be revealed (somehow). :(

:p

Also, I should probably mention in just a general thought from the conversation above--nobody gets anything for being "right", so while the team thing can be fun, when taken too seriously, it gets ****ing exhausting. The reason I'm interested in this leak is to understand the truth--because we'll eventually be getting to the truth pretty soon so it's best to prepare ourselves for it as much as possible. But regardless of who's right, "nobody wins"--except all of us, because we'll be playing the game in less than two months. :upsidedown:

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
Does anyone have any idea if Mario is going to be in this game? I haven't seen a reveal for him yet :/

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I will say something in regards to this-
It definitely DEFINITELY seems like sources such as Gamexplain know more than they're letting on.
GameXplain's videos on the leak have been very dismissive. Uncharacteristically dismissive for them. They also usually do discussion videos for topics like this, but they haven't done one.

I feel like they probably know for sure the validity of this leak and are trying to push it under the rug as much as possible.

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
just gonna make a comment on this one.The rough part isnt moving characters and pasting them somewhere. Everybody with decent graphical skills can do such a thing. But the really rough part is to keep the background accurate. Especially considering the fact that on one of the pictures, the entire background without characters on it was presented. This is a huge deal because somebody would have to take the time to produce himself the missing parts of the stage, the clouds, the lightings and so on. This is not something you just cut and paste from one point to another. And making renders of the newcomers in an artstyle that fits the already existing characters' look is also something that you won't just do that easily. Just consider the time someone has to put into this entire leak to produce it himself. Hard to say how many hours/days you will need to be able to produce a fake leak like this.

Also besides arguing about the editing that has to be done, there are a lot of other questions you should also ask yourself:
1. Why would someone even try to move many characters? If you are capable of drawing any character in the artstyle of the Ultimate banner, you probably would try to make renders that fit pretty easy into already existing gaps.
2. Why bother to show a picture with only the background without any characters? Completely unnecessary work you do. Unless you don't need to do the work because you already have access to the background without characters, then it's easy to just add it in case anyone is doubting the leak.
3. Why hide a name in the corner of the image? Also not really something, a fake leaker would put any effort into.
4.Why hide the name so poorly that people can still figure out what's written there? Furthermore why put a name of a person into the leak who has a connection to a company working with Bandai Namco?
5. Why even bother making a Grinch movie render?
These are already 5 things I highly doubt any fake leaker would put any effort into. There exists too much information alongside the actual character reveals on the banner and trying to debunk this will be much harder than some people think. If I try to put myself into the position of a fake leaker, I would definitely only try to make one good, kinda possible/realistic picture without any context. And of course I would go with something likely and avoid anything that seems unlikely. At this point I want to throw in some names: Would you let Incineroar out after people are almost convinced he is in the game? On the other side: Would you put Chorus Kid into your fake leak alongside safe guesses like Ken and Shadow?

I do understand that people are being sceptical about any leak but one point some people already brought up: Do not forget people who wanted to debunk the ESRB leak by arguing about Shulk having the face of Little Mac.
  1. And risk making a smudge that gives you away? No way, you'd want to move them if you wanted to make it as watertight as you can. And besides, it would still be much faster than redrawing them from scratch.
  2. To bolster your leak, of course - and that's exactly what it's done. As a matter of fact, you can actually get away with a lot by showing a blank background. It lets you chalk up any disrepancies up to the lighting, even if they're major - after all, you have the blank background to show for it, not Nintendo.
  3. Getting that name would take no more than five minutes combing through the list of the printing company's employees, and would require no more than the Snapchat font. As I've said before, Eric is supposedly in his 50s. Why would he want to screw Nintendo so much, especially going as far as to say "**** Nintendo"? Do you believe that over picking a name out of a hat and half-greying it out to make your leak seem more legitimate, especially with the bad job at scrubbing it out that would be easier to do intentionally than to mess up with.
  4. The Grinch movie render - at least the one facing front - was easy to make. There are two posters with the Grinch and his dog facing forward that would be easily exploitable, and it's possible the leaker picked another contractor of that company out of a hat and mocked up something. After all, people would ask "prove that this guy actually works there anyway" - so why not get it out of the way beforehand?

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Yeah, just leaving the board and waiting for official news is definitely the healthy choice, no one's gonna change their mind with the information we have now and you'd just be wasting brain power by hanging around.
But I sit around all day playing video games, so what do I know about healthy choices.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So what's the consensus at, at this point
50/50- real or fake.
Team real goes by "no one would be crazy enough to fake this, also **** the Insiders, they don't want to tell us what they know!!!111!!"
Team fake goes by "But you don't know the dark side of the forces, also we have Serebii and every insiders ever by our side, even Vergeben"

It's a civil war.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
here's a spicy opinion, watch out: I think steve is garbage, and a new pokemon rep would be boring no matter who or what it is, so them not being in (for now, i guess) is as much of a plus to me as all these other boys being in :cool:

anyway, I realize i've been slowly devolving from team hmmmm to team real, so i''ll take a step back and cool off till the next direct is announced. it shouldn't be long now, really. they could drop a direct announcement as early as next week, even.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
So what's the consensus at, at this point
Still seems to be up in the air.
Unless any more images/videos come out, I'm guessing we won't have any definitive answers until the next direct whenever that is.

The release date is rapidly approaching. Nintendo's gotta start showing off stuff soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom