• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Been reviewing this one since I got up, leaning on Team Hmmmm. It has a lot of things going for it but also some things against it and others that don't make sense. I'll just continue being patient until the next reveals as always.
but if it is real CONGRATULATIONS SHADOW MY BOY

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
If you're in team hmmm you're in good company. It's the position of philosophers, scientists and artists. And Dr. Mario:

Still feel like it's fake though. I get that 'it's too good to be true' doesn't debunk it, but every inclusion (minus no Pokemon rep) just seems so neat and tidy. Hopefully we'll know soon enough. Or not.

D

Deleted member

I don't care if it is legit.

Is it real? Then a cool roster for the base game worth of the Ultimate name.

Is it fake? I don't mind, but i hope that the artist gets a lot of credit for even making Smashified confused. This leak is so good, that the artist deserves a lot of appreciation for the work he made on it.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Who is The Grinch?

If you refer to the character from that book, how does he relate to the leak?
In the leak, you can see a bunch of brand new Grinch promotional material in the background for the new movie. And that’s because the leaker works for the company that’s handling the movie’s marketing (Or just creating it, I sort of forgot which).

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm on team "the next direct will confirm or deny this leak so with how low quality it isnt even worth discussing right now".
Hopefully the next direct is soon so we can put that to rest.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
This leak is interesting, that's for sure. Not sure if I completely believe it yet, but if it's fake it's a really good fake leak.
The thing that gets me is this:
- Leaker didn't scrub his full name. Found in LinkedIn to work for a company that makes posters and adverts for both Universal (Grinch) and Bamco (the smash poster), weird thing to fake. Also extremely intricate if faked. If true this leaker messed up, and will be dismantled by his bosses.
- The shadows change everytime characters shift, even when they really dont shift, so we can't use that as an argument.
- There is a blank banner there that NOBODY has. These characters are definitely inserted on a blank, background banner. For him to make that would be really odd, more so than a fake leaker would need to make to attempt to convince people.

The first and last points are what make me believe it. I'm reserved, but that would logically be why it would be real. A final character poster needs to be printed soon, especially if a final direct is happening and the game goes into it's final promotion stages.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I've been busy all day, someone mind catching me up on this leak?

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
So we get any more important information about this leak or are we still just waiting it out?

KMDP

Smash Legend
“I plan on slowing down character reveals”

>Has 1+ month to reveal SEVEN MORE CHARACTERS.

Okay.
There's an explanation for that. It's called lying/misdirection.

If they plan to do something like the 50 fact extravaganza, then it's possible the last Smash Direct will include Seven New Characters.

Anyway, I've settled into cautious optimism for now.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The shadows are too big of an oof for me. I really doubt Nintendo would let that slip under their notice. I’m for sure Team Fake now.

I’m really sad though, I got myself too hype dispite trying to shake it off early. Now I’m hungry for Smash news again.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm on team "the next direct will confirm or deny this leak so with how low quality it isnt even worth discussing right now".
Hopefully the next direct is soon so we can put that to rest.
I'm with you on the first part, but certainly not the second. The photo of the video is low quality, but the effort that went into faking it, if it is fake, is some of the highest quality I've seen (of course, most of it has been ****). Definitely worth discussing. Moreso than boxes :chuckle:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
“I plan on slowing down character reveals”

>Has 1+ month to reveal SEVEN MORE CHARACTERS.

Okay.
I mean, he HAS slowed down. Isabelle would be a pretty long gap to whenever the next direct is compared to the wait from after the 8.8 Smash Direct to Isabelle.

Slowing down =/= less characters, just more time in between the next character announcements.

I'm saying this having not seen the leak yet granted lol

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I still have an hard time to believe that Sakurai went
"Don't expect too many newcomers"
"We need to slow down the reveal, we don't have much left"

Only to have half the newcomers left.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
You know what?

I got burned by the ROB Wolf Toon Link leak.

And fell for the Shulk being a Photoshopped Little Mac.

I won't make the same mistake again. Despite me being extremely skeptical.
It would be about the perfect time for a true leak to surface.
And I have nothing valuable to lose if this is fake.

So?
It's real.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/011/894/56b.gif

Except that the Little Mac in a Wig picture was clear enough, while this is so small and blurry that it can be a MS paint drawing and it would still look real.
There is nothing to lose if it's true or fake, it's just that it's so blatantly fake that I just can't even imagine it as true.
Chorus Kids + Director also, as if 3 characters at once weren't already too much.

_Basileus_

Smash Rookie
The thing that gets me is this:
- Leaker didn't scrub his full name. Found in LinkedIn to work for a company that makes posters and adverts for both Universal (Grinch) and Bamco (the smash poster), weird thing to fake. Also extremely intricate if faked. If true this leaker messed up, and will be dismantled by his bosses.
- The shadows change everytime characters shift, even when they really dont shift, so we can't use that as an argument.
- There is a blank banner there that NOBODY has. These characters are definitely inserted on a blank, background banner. For him to make that would be really odd, more so than a fake leaker would need to make to attempt to convince people.

The first and last points are what make me believe it. I'm reserved, but that would logically be why it would be real. A final character poster needs to be printed soon, especially if a final direct is happening and the game goes into it's final promotion stages.
Good points! A lot of effort went into this, that's clear as day. The fact that he works for a company that makes adverts, posters, etc. for Bamco, Universal and other studios is quite convincing and so is the part about the blank banner. I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks whether this is some sort of intricate fake leak or a real leak.

Either way, I'm just glad there's something interesting to discuss.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Tbh I don't think its real
If this person really was trying to leak bc he was spiteful to Ninty he would've taken actual decent quality pictures instead of a blurry af snapchat video. Also can I just say that I hate those who go "SHULK IS A PHOTOSHOPPED LITTLE MAC LOL" whenever someone points out a discrepancy in a leak. Like damn we know that was a thing that happened, it still doesn't affect the present.
Have you used Snapchat on a crappy phone? Grainy as ****. Also it doesn't seem likely this leaker was trying to post this to the internet just share with a/some friends who betrayed him.

So no, doesn't have to be a clear photo to prove anything. But it being blurry makes it easier to fake. But that means the fake also made Grinch promotional materials for the background because?...this is where I am lol
The shadows are too big of an oof for me. I really doubt Nintendo would let that slip under their notice. I’m for sure Team Fake now.

I’m really sad though, I got myself too hype dispite trying to shake it off early. Now I’m hungry for Smash news again.
Ok, I keep seeing this. Past official banners from Nintendo show the shadows are inconsistent and not always moved perfectly, and or changed.

So until someone proves why this is different from that, I don't see this as a "Nintendo would never do that".

Also this is why we need a leak thread that collects all the evidence to refer back to -_-

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Ok, I keep seeing this. Past official banners from Nintendo show the shadows are inconsistent and not always moved perfectly, and or changed.

So until someone proves why this is different from that, I don't see this as a "Nintendo would never do that
Shadows are inconsistent or shift to make sense with the light.
They never just disappear.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I mean, he HAS slowed down. Isabelle would be a pretty long gap to whenever the direct is.

Slowing down =/= less characters, just more time in between the next character announcements.
It's astounding how so many people use that argument--while his statement is surely up for interpretation, there's no doubt we have "slowed down" even if this turns out to be true. Same with "too many newcomers in the roster". According to this, there are 10 unique newcomers, 6 echoes, which is few or a lot depending on how you count echoes. None of these are the slam dunks people want to make it out to be.

I'm skeptical of this--especially because it's too good to be true, and I do agree that 7 characters in one month sounds like too much (but again, not the impossible scenario people want to twist it into). But skepticism isn't the same as denial--it's about looking at the evidence critically, both good and bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom