• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Imagine this for a roster for Super Smash Party.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultyoshi::ultwario:Waluigi
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Cranky Kong
:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:Impa, Skull Kid
:ultsamus::ultridley::ultdarksamus:Sylux, Kanden, Noxus, Spire, Trace, Weavel
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:Bandana Dee, Adeleine, Ribbon
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:Leon, Krystal, Slippy, Peppy, Pigma, Panther, Andrew
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::ultgreninja:Incineroar, Gardevoir, Meowth, Gen 8 Pokemon
:ultfalcon:Samurai Goroh, Dr. Stewart, Pico, Black Shadow, Deathborn
:ultness::ultlucas:Ninten, Paula, Jeff, Poo, Porky Minch
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin:Hector, Lyn, Edelgard, Black Knight
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:Medusa, Hades, Viridi, Phosphora, Magnus
:ultvillager::ultisabelle:
:ultshulk:Elma, Rex, Fiona, Melia
:ultinkling:Octoling
Isaac, Felix, Jenna
Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle

People would finally get Waluigi most of all. :p

Good god I still can't stop picturing Ridley doing mini-games though. :laugh:

Super Smash Party would likely have only the bare essentials for each series. Heck, I'd imagine it more like Mario Kart 8 DX, where it's mostly Mario characters and some guests.

Here's how I'd see it:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi:Birdo:ultrosalina:
:ultlink::ultzelda:
:ultmarth::ultrobin:Most recent Fire Emblem character for promotion purposes
:ultfox::ultsamus::ultness::ultkirby::ultolimar::ultpit:
:ultshulk:Rex & Pyra
:ultmiifighters::ultwiifittrainer::ultgnw:
:ultinkling:
Spring-Man
:ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman: because Nintendo is good buddies with these companies

No Pokémon because they don't like crossovers that aren't on their terms. If we do get Pokémon replace Pac-Man with Pikachu and maybe Pac-Man with the Pokémon of the Week (i.e. Greninja, Incineroar) or Mewtwo

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Definitely agree. Part of that accessibility thing I talked about included the old games' difficulty, limited resources, etc. I think there's a lot of people that just want a character-driven RPG like Birthright or Awakening that they can immerse themselves with. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with adding the little things like grinding, casual mode, unlimited supports etc. to make the game more comfortable to play. Even as someone that enjoys the older titles I think that the series can be too much of a niche and just isn't fun anymore.
Yep. That's what I'm getting at. We agree.

I like the oldschool Fire Emblems, though they were an acquired taste. I completely understand why their sales, up until Awakening, were always disappointing-- and it's not simply because they weren't released in the West for so long. FE truly was a niche title before Awakening changed the game.

I'm a proponent of the idea that the series can be both, and not in the Birthright/Conquest way where you split the game up into two halves, one for each player base. Instead of normal and hard, make it easy and hard. Keep casual mode as a thing. Plug in some romance and easier-to-understand tactical assets so that casual players feel like they're doing something, even if they're missing out on the intricacies of building and managing your units. But keep all of what makes old FE games so good for the people that like them-- just keep it all in hard mode.

And on that note, just give Pokemon a hard mode already. I'm pretty sure just as many adults play it now as children.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Super Smash Party would likely have only the bare essentials for each series. Heck, I'd imagine it more like Mario Kart 8 DX, where it's mostly Mario characters and some guests.

Here's how I'd see it:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi:Birdo:ultrosalina:
:ultlink::ultzelda:
:ultmarth::ultrobin:Most recent Fire Emblem character for promotion purposes
:ultfox::ultsamus::ultness::ultkirby::ultolimar::ultpit:
:ultshulk:Rex & Pyra
:ultmiifighters::ultwiifittrainer::ultgnw:
:ultinkling:
Spring-Man
:ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman: because Nintendo is good buddies with these companies

No Pokémon because they don't like crossovers that aren't on their terms. If we do get Pokémon replace Pac-Man with Pikachu and maybe Pac-Man with the Pokémon of the Week (i.e. Greninja, Incineroar) or Mewtwo
A guy can still dream. :p Besides I know its unlikely such a game would have that many characters.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Well, if I had to rank each of the newcomers from favorite to least favorite:
5/5 (Most Wanted): :ultdarksamus:
4/5 (Hype): :ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon:
3/5 (Happy): :ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultrichter:
2/5 (Meh): :ultinkling::ultchrom:
1/5 (Hated): I can't bring myself to hate any of the new additions.
:ultinkling: - Felt like everyone expected them, even I did, and I never played Splatoon. I was more hype for the fact there was another Smash on the way, and trying to figure out if it was a port or new game. Inklings in general were kinda "meh" to me.
:ultdaisy: - I'm honestly happy with her inclusion, even if she's not my favorite addition so far. TBH, after seeing her added in, I kinda wonder why it took so long, she just seems like she fit in from the get-go.
:ultridley: - I will admit that I was one under the mindset Ridley wouldn't work, especially since Sakurai was opposed to the idea for so long. It was a complete surprise that he made it in, and was proven wrong in the best way possible. As soon as he was shown as playable and saw what he was capable of, I realized that he not only works, but works well. Glad I was wrong, and am happy that Ridley supporters who backed us Mewtwo supporters during the Smash 4 days finally got their boy.
:ultsimon: - Very little experience with Castlevania, but even I know of him. He's a gaming icon, and he definitely fits in with the rest of the Smash cast. In a way, he's both 3rd party, and a Nintendo All Star.
:ultrichter: - I honestly had no idea who Richter is, and for some reason, I thought he was from a separate series entirely, like King of Fighters or something. Once gameplay was shown I was like "Oh ok, he is from Castlevania." Prefer his design over Simon though, so I'll give him credit for that.
:ultchrom: - Sure, I'd have preferred someone unique like Lyn, rather than another clone/echo, but hey, I'm happy for the Chrom supporters. At the same time, I can see why people are a little upset. I feel Awakening had enough representation as is, while other FE games and classes get neglected.
:ultdarksamus: - While I figured they'd choose Sylux to represent Prime 4 at the beginning, I've had hope for Dark Samus for a LONG time. Smash 4 the dreams were crushed early on, but now she's actually playable. Also nice, considering I had a whole video on why I thought she was the most likely newcomer, and she got confirmed 2 weeks later, unlike what happened to Lyn (RIP). One of my most wanted for years finally made it, so I'll do whatever I can to try and main her. Hopefully she and Samus will be good, but that's a topic for another day.
:ultkrool: - Similar situation to RIdley, didn't like him at first, but after his trailer, my perception did a 180. I'm happy for the supporters, and was amused by his trailer. Glad they're bringing back a character from over a decade of essentially being stuck in limbo.
:ultisabelle: - I honestly thought she'd be an echo, but she was able to set herself apart. Plus, one of my friends had wanted her to be in Smash for a LONG time. Don't really get why people were so mad at her inclusion to be completely honest.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I like the oldschool Fire Emblems, though they were an acquired taste. I completely understand why their sales, up until Awakening, were always disappointing-- and it's not simply because they weren't released in the West for so long. FE truly was a niche title before Awakening changed the game.

I'm a proponent of the idea that the series can be both, and not in the Birthright/Conquest way where you split the game up into two halves, one for each player base. Instead of normal and hard, make it easy and hard. Keep casual mode as a thing. Plug in some romance and easier-to-understand tactical assets so that casual players feel like they're doing something, even if they're missing out on the intricacies of building and managing your units. But keep all of what makes old FE games so good for the people that like them-- just keep it all in hard mode.

And on that note, just give Pokemon a hard mode already. I'm pretty sure just as many adults play it now as children.
I'm seriously hoping the Let's Go series absorbs all the tutorialization Pokemon is infamous for and just leaves the mainline Pokemon games as half-decently challenging games.

link2702

Smash Champion
Just saw this posted on 4chan. What do you guys think?View attachment 171430
Fake.

You can see a sloppy cut seem near where cloud is at.

Even if they tried to argue they did that to simply try to get the entire cast in one shot, to me it’s a dead giveaway that it’s fake, it’s been edited by photoshop and we’ve already seen by now what type of things folks can do in it.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Incineroar isn’t there is the only thing putting me off believing it. Maybe he is there but just hard to see.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I see him. I also saw a big giant grey lizard thing behind Link. No idea what that is. Or it just be a cloud and I'm terrible at telling the difference lol.
You mean Bayonetta?

D

Deleted member

To be honest, most of my issues with the 3DS Fire Emblem games are mostly writing issues. I hated the stories for Awakening and Fates, and the only 3DS FE characters I like are Lucina, Inigo/Laslow, Oboro, and Alm. That's it.

If future FE games can improve the writing and characters while having good gameplay, I'd might like Fire Emblem a bit more than I do now.

Also, yes to a hard mode for Pokemon games.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
It's interesting that they supposedly have the blank background. I've never seen it by itself, so I'm wondering how they would have access to it. Could be photoshopped, but from what I can tell it does look like the actual background.

If this turns out to be real, we'd have one hell of a roster.

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
Fake.

You can see a sloppy cut seem near where cloud is at.

Even if they tried to argue they did that to simply try to get the entire cast in one shot, to me it’s a dead giveaway that it’s fake, it’s been edited by photoshop and we’ve already seen by now what type of things folks can do in it.
Actually, according to the person who posted this on 4chan, these images were originally posted on a discord somewhere and then someone else stitched them together to create the whole mural. So the seam may just be a result of that stitching, if that's true.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A lot of characters have been moved around in the leaked photograph. Compare it to the one on the site.

Do we have access to those painted character renders yet? Otherwise it'd be pretty difficult to fake it all.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Trash it, I can't find Incineroar.
I didn't know Inceneroar got confirmed.

Seriously, though, guys. A character isn't in until they're confirmed IN dont set yourselves up for disappointment if they aren't.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
So comparing this TEENSY image with the current panorama, I see from left to right-

Shadow
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
Ken
Something blue, red, and silver I can't identify between Inkling and Roy
Geno (very hard to see- just to the right of Pac-Man)
Chorus Kids

Inclined to deny by the abundance of characters, and lack of Incineroar... but at the same time, that empty shot of the background is quite perplexing, It looks gorgeous and I don't believe the panorama has ever been shown empty before, has it? This may actually be something to keep our eyes on.

(plz be fake, I want Sakurai to have the last laugh for once)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm calling fake. There's at least 8 characters there that I can see.

Shadow
Banjo
Isaac
Ken
Chorus Kids
Something above Ness
Something between Inkling and Roy
And I'm pretty sure that's Gardevoir by Ken's fist and the Mii Brawler

Regardless of your stance on Box theory, that's far too much

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Interesting that the leaker's moved the characters around (e.g. Mii Fighters all together, Shadow in their current place) so seamlessly. The leak also has a 'blank' version of the screen - is that available anywhere else, or is it new to this...?

Edit: 4chan pointing out that KOS-MOS is above Yoshi.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I didn't know Inceneroar got confirmed.

Seriously, though, guys. A character isn't in until they're confirmed IN dont set yourselves up for disappointment if they aren't.
Also, while lacking Incineroar does hurt it a bit, I find it funny as so many people are willing to say the SE rep is DLC to fit the box theory, but Incineroar can't. I think it's likely, but as far as we "know" Ken, Incineroar and an SE rep are most likely in, in some form. Though, I think all three are likely to be in the base, as I see no reason to believe otherwise.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Interesting that the leaker's moved the characters around (e.g. Mii Fighters all together, Shadow in their current place) so seamlessly. The leak also has a 'blank' version of the screen - is that available anywhere else, or is it new to this...?

Edit: 4chan pointing out that KOS-MOS is above Yoshi.
Somebody on GFAQs is working on a "NO ONE IS HERE" Edit

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To be honest, most of my issues with the 3DS Fire Emblem games are mostly writing issues. I hated the stories for Awakening and Fates, and the only 3DS FE characters I like are Lucina, Inigo/Laslow, Oboro, and Alm. That's it.

If future FE games can improve the writing and characters while having good gameplay, I'd might like Fire Emblem a bit more than I do now.

Also, yes to a hard mode for Pokemon games.
Fire Emblem has never really been known for its great overarching plots. They're trying to fit in so many characters that the driving story gets muddled and lost, or overly generic. Every FE has suffered from this, though some to a higher degree than others. (And Fates the most.)

Where things get tricky is what constitutes "good gameplay", because FE as a series now has "old" and "new" fans that are requesting different things. I've talked to multiple people who only got into Fates for the pairing/children thing, and skipped on Echoes for that reason alone. (Which, I don't really get, but that's definitely a thing, and could very well be a major contributing factor to Echoes underselling in comparison to Awakening/Fates.)

FE is no longer really niche, which is a good thing. But how on earth to appease both sides of the aisle is... difficult. The success of FE Heroes and the fan campaign for Chrom proves that there's a big fanbase there for the taking, but how do you keep that new casual audience without losing the soul of what FE is?

How do we not pull a Resident Evil 6?

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Looks like I had good timing in focusing on my post when I did, seems I dodged a bullet, or potential leak. Don't need the surprise ruined. All I know is people are doubting whatever this new leak is because it goes against Vegan Burtre's little text leak (Yes, I call him that now). Honestly, I'd be more surprised so many people believe a text leak of all things, but Gematsu was a thing. Can't wait for the Robin/Lucina like trailer to drop and go against everything Vegan Burtre said...or the possibility that he's legit and we see his leaked characters pop up, in which case, he will deserve all the hate that would follow. Either way, I'm going to avoid this, as I already saw an image leak that looks legit, due to somebody I follow throwing it out on Twitter for no reason. Thankfully, it was somebody I already expected anyways, so no major damage done.

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Well I'll be back in the morning to see if this panned out or not. Normally these things get disproven in the first few hours or not at all. Catch y'all then

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I noticed there's pictures of Max and the Grinch from the new Illumination Grinch film coming up. Maybe for marketing purposes? Are we to assume this potential leaker works in marketing? or design?

Grinch and Smash are from two wildly different worlds.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So comparing this TEENSY image with the current panorama, I see from left to right-

Shadow
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
Ken
Something blue, red, and silver I can't identify between Inkling and Roy
Geno (very hard to see- just to the right of Pac-Man)
Chorus Kids

Inclined to deny by the abundance of characters, and lack of Incineroar... but at the same time, that empty shot of the background is quite perplexing, It looks gorgeous and I don't believe the panorama has ever been shown empty before, has it? This may actually be something to keep our eyes on.

(plz be fake, I want Sakurai to have the last laugh for once)
Just under whoever's between Inkling and Roy, is that Majora's Mask/Skull Kid?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.