• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
This guy has a big point.
Smash Ultimate's advertising isn't exactly good, as we mostly seen things we already seen before, without a lot of new.
I mean, yeah, alright, I can understand that.

If only all marketing campaigns were like Smash 64's, eh?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Hmmm, anybody else waiting for My Smash Corner to come back? Definitely provided useful guides for many aspects of Smash, and I'm waiting for him to return for Ultimate.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Smash Ultimate's advertising isn't exactly good, as we mostly seen things we already seen before, without a lot of new.
People already miscontruing it as this guy saying "I'M NOT GRATEFUL I WANT MORE"

Nintendo's messing up the marketing a bit this time around.

Shroob

Sup?
I've been quiet since I've been labeled as "Being ungrateful" in the past for pointing this out but, yeah I agree in the fact that the marketing for this game has been ****.

The blog has been USELESS this cycle, and besides that one KRool/DSam vid, we've never seen newer builds of the game in motion, it's always been the E3 demo.

To put it into perspective, we've received two actual NEW things from the blog, 3 'technically'.

1#: Delfino Plaza was returning

2# Isabelle's Fishing Pole is her Side B

3# Greninja transforms during its Final Smash

But that's it.... We're STILL getting rehashed information from AUGUST.

Noipoi

Howdy!
When i'm in the middle of a direct the hype is absolutely incredible, but most days i'm just passively excited.
Of course i'm hype, i'd be stupid if I wasn't! But it's not a constant hype. Its more dormant, laying low until we actually get news.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why do I have a feeling the game may in fact be delayed at this rate

Which tbh I wouldn’t mind, they could squeeze in a few more base characters then

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I've been quiet since I've been labeled as "Being ungrateful" in the past for pointing this out but, yeah I agree in the fact that the marketing for this game has been ****.

The blog has been USELESS this cycle, and besides that one KRool/DSam vid, we've never seen newer builds of the game in motion, it's always been the E3 demo.

To put it into perspective, we've received two actual NEW things from the blog, 3 'technically'.

BUT SHROOB

THEY'VE BEEN PUTTING A DEMO literally the same exact demo since E3 INTO A LOT OF TOURNAMENTS AND PLACES knowing damn well the majority will be unable to play

HOW UNGRATEFUL OF YOU TO BE CONCERNED SCREEEE

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
To be honestly, Sakurai want to reveal remaining new characters first so marketing for the game can begin. The problem is that we don't know when he will do it. Plus, November should be month of marketing smash and pokemon at same time.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I find it funny that I‘be never watched Shulk’s trailer nor the 50 fact extravaganza. I just stopped following the game days before the Robin reveal and only went back to see the full roster leak.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be honestly, Sakurai want to reveal remaining new characters first so marketing for the game can begin. The problem is that we don't know when he will do it. Plus, November should be month of marketing smash and pokemon at same time.
Which is BTW a god-awful route. Two of the biggest games competing with each other during November was an idiotic move.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

It's kinda strange to say, but that could have been fixed by giving us less info at the start. Just releasing the individual character videos with their blog posts instead of front loading them.

cothero

Smash Lord
The thing is, there isn't much more to show. The next direct will prove it, so they're holding it.

Shroob

Sup?
Pokemon LGPE is going to 'sell', but I legit don't expect it to break more than 3 million copies, if at that.

The game feels like it's being sent out to die at this point.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

No, he's full of ****. Smash's advertising is, like, 10x better than almost any other video game's. It's just that the Smash fanbases is REALLY ****ty and entitled and starts slashing at their wrists if they have to go a month without another goddamn press conference dedicated to their game.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No, he's full of ****. Smash's advertising is, like, 10x better than almost every other video game. It's just that the Smash fanbases is REALLY ****ty and entitled and starts slashing at their wrists if they have to go 2 weeks without another goddamn press conference dedicated to their game.
Instead of ad hominem maybe you could back this up with why it's apparently 10x better.

Shroob

Sup?
No, he's full of ****. Smash's advertising is, like, 10x better than almost any other video game's. It's just that the Smash fanbases is REALLY ****ty and entitled and starts slashing at their wrists if they have to go a month without another goddamn press conference dedicated to their game.
Are you seriously going to sit here and say that the blog, the main marketing machine of this game besides Directs, is doing a good job by rehashing **** from nearly 3 months ago?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Why do I have a feeling the game may in fact be delayed at this rate

Which tbh I wouldn’t mind, they could squeeze in a few more base characters then
Don't :124: it.

Pokemon LGPE is going to 'sell', but I legit don't expect it to break more than 3 million copies, if at that.

Never underestimate the power of casuals. I think it'll sell around 9-10 million. Good, but not as good as Sun and Moon, X and Y, etc.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Instead of ad hominem maybe you could back this up with why it's apparently 10x better.
Explain to me what other video games even GIVE you half hour advertisements every few months along with weekly updates on game content on their website?

Like, most other games put out a 3 minute trailer 6 months before the game comes out and that's it. Then a 30 second TV ad if you're lucky a few weeks before launch.

Saying that Nintendo is doing a **** job with advertising and promotion is just asinine.

Are you seriously going to sit here and say that the blog, the main marketing machine of this game besides Directs, is doing a good job by rehashing **** from nearly 3 months ago?
I'm seriously goint to sit there and say that other games don't even do that much.

So if Nintendo is doing a **** job, then every video game developer ever has also done a **** job.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Pokemon Let's Go will sell well

Why? Because I have to have Eevee.

I played AC: Pocket Camp just to get the giant cuddly Eevee.

Shroob

Sup?
I think the biggest problem was that there was TOO MUCH in the August Direct, which Sakurai himself even seems to agree on.

Why couldn't Simon or Richter, or hell, even K.Rool been saved to be revealed during a dead zone ala Robin/Lucina.

Why do new ITEMS of all things have to be withheld until they're shown in a Direct? Why can't they just drop items of all things onto the website?

They frontloaded the advertising way too much.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Ultimate advertising is ****
>Announced in March
>Released in Decembers
>Big loads in July and August confirming 72 Characters/ 103 stages and 800 music
>Director is like "Kay need a smoke break brb for a months"
>People cry

>Square-Enix look at Us
>"Hold my beer bro."
> Announced FFVII Remake with no information and surprising Nomura Himself that he is the director of the game
>Announce FFXV release date in a big event at Las Vegas for the release date as if it's a big deal before delaying it again

>Microsoft look at us
>Announce a console
>'make it 100% cloud
>People are pissed
>Even Sony laugh at us
>Need to quickly fix it

>Sony look at us
>Just show the same games for 2-4 E3 in a row with sometimes nothing new at all
>Just shrug and move away

Trust me. As ****ty as Ultimate goes, we're actually in the **** tasting like chocolate kind of ****. There way worst. Just look at Let's Go if you want a Nintendo Exemple

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Explain to me what other video games even GIVE you half hour advertisements every few months along with weekly updates on game content on their website?

Like, most other games put out a 3 minute trailer 6 months before the game comes out and that's it. Then a 30 second TV ad if you're lucky a few weeks before launch.

Saying that Nintendo is doing a **** job with advertising and promotion is just asinine.
Don't forget the CG newcomer trailers.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Thing is those half hour advertisements ARE the weekly updates.
We literally only get images of things we've known about since E3 and 8.8.
Soulcalibur has been putting out character trailers and news frequently. FighterZ did the same.

Ultimate's E3 showing and 8.8 have had to drag out for almost 4 months.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

Yeah, I actually feel like that they really want to focus on switch game with pokmone go style to it.

Plus, Gamefreak want more friendly rivals other than jerk rival. Here's link to said interview.

At this point, still doesn't change my mind to buy the game. and WILL not likely buy it if there's another way to get meltan in gen 8 pokemon game.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253

I'm seriously goint to sit there and say that other games don't even do that much.

So if Nintendo is doing a **** job, then every video game developer ever has also done a **** job.
So it's asinine to be annoyed at seeing regurgitated stuff we've seen since August with, like, only one new character since then? Lol okay

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

I'm not too sure if I'd consider that a marketing failure, since their main source of marketing is definitely not the blog lol, it's ads (TV, youtube, billboards, twitch, etc) and probably bringing the demos around.

Now is it a failure in hype? Maybe, although we're in a drought right now and assuming the next direct is at least decent, the hype will be sky high again and then pretty soon after that the game will be out.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
They really should’ve dropped the 30 second character trailers one at a time, maybe twice a week, just to build up some hype and speculation. It isn’t much, but it’s better than nothing.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
As far as trying to provide new information, I agree that Nintendo's effort in marketing Ultimate has been lackluster and that Brawl Dojo and Smash 4 Miiverse updates were much more exciting than the Super Smash Blog. I believe that is due mostly to having so much information revealed at both E3 and the August Direct though, as if we didn't have those directs, we might would be in a different situation entirely in regards to the blog giving us new info. This is not good for trying to convince new consumers to pick up Ultimate, but I hope that Nintendo has an ace up their sleeves for the holiday marketing rush for Ultimate.

For me though, I was very excited for Ultimate since the 3.12 direct, and was sold completely at E3. I'm someone who buys a system for Smash though, so the marketing wouldn't be necessary for someone like myself. :lol:

Just look at it this way: we're nearly 45 days away from release, and pretty soon, we'll have the game in our hands. Just try to be patient and enjoy the ride as it comes. I think it would help us all to take a deep breath and relax, as the game will be here before we know it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom