• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I saw a roster so I'll post mine too.

Here's my semi-realistic-wishlist roster:

Newcomers:

Pauline
Waluigi
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Zelda Newcomer
Takamaru
Ridley
Lip
???
Gen 8 Pokemon
Rex
Inklings
Spring Man
Rayman
Banjo-Kazooie

Returning Vets:

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Snake

Cuts:

Dr. Mario
Lucina

I'd say another Mario character is in order, it could really be either Pauline or Toad, but I'm leaning towards the former myself. Waluigi included under the Wario series banner. We've had series get up to four newcomers at once before, so it's high time DK gets at least two more. I have this weird feeling that Zelda is gonna get a new character, but I can't fathom who it is. Takamaru will probably be this game's "retro rep" and upgraded assist trophy like Mac. LOL Ridley. Take or leave Lip, I personally want her, but I still doubt her, so this may as well be another wild card slot. Smash symbol is the wild card slot. Insert as of yet unknown Pokemon from the upcoming Switch game here. Rex, yeah. Obviously ink'd. Spring Man even though practically anyone else from ARMS would be 10x better. Rayman is the next plausible third party candidate. Banjo is my pipe dream given a tiny sliver of a chance thanks to Phil's comment, I still extremely doubt it, but hope, could be a different third party instead.

Ice Climbers were only cut because of the 3DS so if they don't return now I'll eat a hat. People like Wolf, right? The situation with Snake is weird, but I'm cautiously optimistic with Konami still using the franchise name and Kojima still wanting him.

Doc can be a costume, rage all you want. Lucina is the easiest FE character to drop.

And here's a slightly more "realistic" roster.

Newcomers:
Pauly
Dixin Kang
King R. Kool
Masturbating Samurai
???
New Gen Pokemans
Splooners
Sprong Dude
Ramen

Returning Vets:

Ice Ice Baby
Awooooooo
Solid Snack

Cuts:

Dank Mayro
Flat Marth

Yeah, I still think it's high time DK gets two more characters, fite me.

You could replace Snake on this one, I just dunno any other third parties that might happen.

Will Pauline get in solely due to Mario Odyssey now? I don't see it.

D

Deleted member

Tbh, the newcomers I expect are:
Won't be surprised if I see them:
-Spring Man
-Gen 7/8 Pokemon(depends on what the Switch game is)
-A FE character(be it from FEH, SoV or 16)
-Rex(with Pyra maybe, I dunno how it works)
-A Mario character

Somewhat surprised:
-Dixie Kong
-A new Zelda character
-Crash

Pleasently surprised because I actually want them:
-Wonder-Red
-Takamaru

Not gonna happen and I'll eat my sister if they do happen:
-Ridley
-King K. Rool
You don't know the legendary tale of Masturbating Samurai, the great hero from the prefecture of HAL who saved the ancient Nintendojo with his ultimate technique, Dairantō Smash Brothers?

Can't say I blame you, it's pretty niche.
I know a few tales about samurais but none involve them beating their own meat

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
If we should get Inkling and Ridley (big if on that one) I'm pretty chill with whoever else they add~
I am in the same boat, as long as I get the Bouncer, Spring Man, I am fine with whatever else they do. It took me a while to figure it out, but I play so many characters from the original 12 and a bit of the melee characters. Beyond that, I do not really even touch anyone from Brawl onward (one or two per game). I am just here for the excitement, I guess. Inklings and Spring Man are all I need (likely to be this game's one or two); however, I would love Ridley. Just to have him, I probably would not even play him.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I feel like Rosalina got in because of her space theme and Sakurai liking space and being inspired by Rosalina and the Lumas. Pauline...I don't see the inspiration for Pauline. Plus, it will feed the theory that Sakurai simply doesn't like the Mario sports and party games.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I feel like Rosalina got in because of her space theme and Sakurai liking space and being inspired by Rosalina and the Lumas. Pauline...I don't see the inspiration for Pauline. Plus, it will feed the theory that Sakurai simply doesn't like the Mario sports and party games.
Has Pauline ever really... done anything? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that in every game she appears in, she's just an NPC who kinda stands there.

?????????????

Smash Master
Well...I may be biased as a musician, but I like the "music theme."

T-Hell

Smash Lord
You guys really expect Waluigi this time? I mean, I would LOVE Waluigi to be playable, but being realistic, he's always been a secondary filler most of the times, I think we can be grateful he's even an assist trophy. And Pauline.. man, kill me if you want, but I just see Pauline as an stage npc for the Odissey stage. Daisy could be an easy Peach clon, but I'm content with her being a recolor of Peach.

D

Deleted member

I'm honestly not expecting any of my most wanted, and I already expect a new FE and Pokemon characters and they're my favorite series in Smash so I'll be good.
Wonder-Red is not gonna happen, Ridley is a big no and Takamaru is someone who I'd want solely for his playstyle but also doubtful about him.
And, for the record, I didn't believe in Artoria's chances for a second, that thread was just for fun.

Oh yeah, also, I forgot to include Isabelle on the newcomers I expect. She's definitely going to be in.
Super Mario Galaxy intensifies.

This was an honorary title bestowed upon him by the high priest Shiggy Memeoto after he saved the Nintendojo.
If you're gonna try to meme me, then I'll have to counterplay by telling you the REGEND of the Savior of France.

Morbi

Scavenger
Has Pauline ever really... done anything? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that in every game she appears in, she's just an NPC who kinda stands there.
The Odyssey hype is so massive that, realistically, is that not all she needs to do?
You guys really expect Waluigi this time? I mean, I would LOVE Waluigi to be playable, but being realistic, he's always been a secondary filler most of the times, I think we can be grateful he's even an assist trophy. And Pauline.. man, kill me if you want, but I just see Pauline as an stage npc for the Odissey stage. Daisy could be an easy Peach clon, but I'm content with her being a recolor of Peach.
Yes. Dead serious. He is about as good as confirmed if you ask me.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I personally still like the idea of a Pauline moveset based off of the Donkey Kong & Mario vs. DK series with Odyssey stuff thrown in.

However, like others have said it'd be incredibly difficult to make it work without being a mess, if it's even really possible at all.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
For MANY years, Little Mac was my most wanted character. Now that he's in...I'm already satisfied.
I think that they should add better punching sound effects for him(everything except his multi jab), cause in punchout everytime you punch an opponent you hear the impact of the punch.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I always made my rosters on GIMP.
Gimp.... I remember when I used to use that. It was when I realized that Photoshop CS2 is free (you gotta do some digging to find it on Adobe's website, but it's there) I literally only use GIMP for very minor situations, like exporting a gif or something.

Anyways, anyone else think that it's kinda funny that in the Rate your Chances thread for Bandana Waddle Dee almost all of the votes are either one of the two extremes? Like, 45% of the people are voting around 15% and 45% of the people are voting around 85%. I'm surprised it's that split.

I think the people who voted low haven't really looked into it that much, barring a few notable exceptions. Maybe I'm just biased, since I voted 90%

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So conspiracy theorists, people who were proven wrong considering she's toned down from her games but still feels appropriate to them in Smash, and others who have a valid opinion but really just don't understand that at this point she's Nintendo's IP that's owned by Sega.

There's a reason why she was so realizable and it's because Nintendo practically owns her.
It is funny to think that, even though Sega owns the IP, Nintendo owns the majority of the franchise since they are responsible for Bayonetta 2 and now 3.

Literally, the only game that Sega will be able to make multiplatform is the first one which is probably going to be the weakest of the Trilogy to be honest.

For the sake of staying on topic. Yeah, Bayonetta is safer than safe.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Well these characters have been in enough Nintendo games with their own personalities, and even had amiibo figures made for them (something that is only reserved for main characters or iconic enemies), and I feel like they can fight competently with their own styles. Waluigi could take his lanky figure to the extreme and move about in a ridiculous manner with ranged attacks. Daisy could focus on hard hitting attacks and trapping characters into her combos with flower powers and aerial proficiency.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
That sounds really familiar....

Oh, yeah. Rosalina.
Not sure since I didn't play them, but a friend of mine played both Galaxies, and according to him Rosalina was a very important character to the game, which I doubt she achieved by just "standing there".

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai conjures movesets from thin air but gets stumped because a character is an NPC? I don't see it.

He made a moveset for the freaking Duck Hunt Dog.

?????????????

Smash Master
Not sure since I didn't play them, but a friend of mine played both Galaxies, and according to him Rosalina was a very important character to the game, which I doubt she achieved by just "standing there".
Well...she talked, too.

Last edited:

Carfax

Smash Rookie
I just hope Nintendo implements a better online matchmaking system this time around (like Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon), especially if we're going to be paying for it. I want to play against people my own skill level. Right now on For Glory you can play against Timmy the first timer then match with ZeRo directly after. Hopefully there is some type of Elo system like there is in most other fighting games on the market. It would also be nice if there was a better stage selection because FD only is unfair for a lot of match ups.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Well I'm no Pauline supporter, but there are a good number of elements to make a good moveset:
  • Her first appearance was in the original Donkey Kong arcade game, and New Donk City in Super Mario Odyssey makes plenty of references to this; Barrels, Fireballs, Oil Drums, Pauline's items, and more could be drawn from here.
  • She also has a prominent role in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series. Mini Marios could be utilized for her moveset.
  • Lastly, her Super Mario Odyssey appearance has several elements to draw from. She's shown to be a good singer, and plenty of New Donk City elements such as taxis, fire hydrants, manhole covers, etc. can be utilized.

D

Deleted member

Actually, I wonder, how will they handle reveals from now on? I'm sort of hoping for a big ass trailer at E3 like Brawl's that reveals at least 5 newcomers.
Not that I wouldn't mind Smash 4-styled trailers, but we do only have 9 months at most until the game releases so it'd be hard to space out individual reveals this time.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Musician theme has quite little to make a moveset out of.
The Galaxy theme ran throughout the entirety of two games, whereas "music" doesn't even play a main role in New Donk City.

This, imo, is where the "Pauline can be Odyssey's Rosalina" comparison falls flat: Unlike Rosalina, Pauline doesn't embody the theme of the game she's in.

What Pauline can be though is "DK Arcade" the character, New Donk City revives plenty of elements seen in the arcade and even Mario vs DK plays into that theme

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Actually, I wonder, how will they handle reveals from now on? I'm sort of hoping for a big *** trailer at E3 like Brawl's that reveals at least 5 newcomers.
Not that I wouldn't mind Smash 4-styled trailers, but we do only have 9 months at most until the game releases so it'd be hard to space out individual reveals this time.
That'd be so ****ing hype to have another Brawl trailer.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pauline can use her hat (as Cappy).

She can toss out the hat and keep it spinning by holding B in order to jump off it.

Also, if she tags someone with Cappy, she can create a Mini-wind-up version of them with Down B.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Pauline can use her hat (as Cappy).

She can toss out the hat and keep it spinning by holding B in order to jump off it.

Also, if she tags someone with Cappy, she can create a Mini-wind-up version of them with Down B.
But Mario's Down B can do your version of B (minus the mini wind up version)

Morbi

Scavenger
I just hope Nintendo implements a better online matchmaking system this time around (like Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon), especially if we're going to be paying for it. I want to play against people my own skill level. Right now on For Glory you can play against Timmy the first timer then match with ZeRo directly after. Hopefully there is some type of Elo system like there is in most other fighting games on the market. It would also be nice if there was a better stage selection because FD only is unfair for a lot of match ups.
Or they could just fix the net-code. That would be a start.

Actually, I wonder, how will they handle reveals from now on? I'm sort of hoping for a big *** trailer at E3 like Brawl's that reveals at least 5 newcomers.
Unless there are only a few reveals, then it would definitely be possible. Realistically, we are probably going to get cross-over trailers if they continue down that path. That being said, I would not be entirely surprised if we go a different route because it is a different game.

The Inkling's trailer is not technically like the others because... Well, no game-play. So there are already differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom